Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I'm really enjoying Driven Assimilators after a Inward Perfection/Agrarian Idyll game. The pacifist was great for maxing out on Unity so I could actually try out megastructures and Colossi while they actually mattered, but the early game was a pretty dull exercise in maximizing the efficiency of expansion because nothing really happens unless you happen to be adjacent to some purifiers or something.

Assimilators are so much more active, if you spawn within a couple jumps of someone its going to be a really early fight to the death. Barely eked out a total win against the rapidly-expanding...Hegemonic Imperialists? next door who had already hit 3 planets while I was hardcore optimizing for minerals to max out my 20 fleet cap. Finished recovering from the massive energy hole that put me in between a lack of energy and the assimilations and turned to my other side. The next neighbor had a shitton of systems but I hadn't paid attention, they only had one planet! After taking out their one fleet I could just send a mop-up fleet around while cracking their starbases with my big fleet and a bunch of Very Strong Cyborg parrot warriors parked themselves over their paradise. Barely managed to get 90% of their territory before my warscore ticked up to 95 and I sent in the squawkers...

I have spent barely any influence on expansion and have gotten to use the 600 on Capacity Overload and Production Targets since shortly after the first war. Since I took Executive Vigor I might even be good on influence for most of the game, I don't generate much without factions but I don't need to claim anything! I'm having fun, although I'm now sandwiched between two really big empires who have non-aggression pacts and who have both rivaled me, so its just a matter of time until they defensive pact and probably even declare war on me. With total war I'm gonna have a pretty tough time defending two very broad flanks with way too much border to use chokes. Hopefully they put up a struggle because at my current expansion rate I'd start hitting a third of the galaxy in a very short time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just saw a machine uprising strike an AI. I don't know if it's linked to the contingency crisis, but an empire with synths was getting hit hard by the contingency and a decade or so later there's now a driven assimilator empire that's rebelled out of them. They're quite nice though, they wanted a non-aggression pact with me and I have full diplomacy options with them so I guess they don't function like the driven exterminators.

But this is the first time I've ever seen an actual AI uprising spawn a new empire before. Is it linked to the contingency? Will the contingency fight them?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Has this mod been posted yet? Because I think it is absolutely worthy of posting:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1335088131

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm getting very, very tired of being penned in by hostile fleets when I start a new game. Of the past six games I've started, five have had me blocked in by mining drones or space amoeba or some combination of the two. The only game that hasn't had me blocked in was because I used 1x hyperlane density and just had to deal with the awful spiderweb nature of the galaxy.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

..If you make more bottle necks you're more likely to get blocked off. 1x density isn't too bad, you should be able to take your initial territory to have 3-4 border system, with a couple adjacent so they're easier to cover. As long as you don't dive straight into a multi-front war you should be able to secure your borders pretty easily.

Your initial fleet cap and some basic upgrades is enough to build a fleet that can clear out the majority of space monsters.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stellaris urgently needs at least one of these, preferably both:
-Elimination of corvette spam being the ultimate fleet design leading to thousand ship battles that slow the game down to a crawl.
-The fleet manager allowing shift and ctrl clicks to add ships in increments of 5 or 10 because holy gently caress clicking 200+ times every time you make a new fleet of corvettes is terrible interface design.

Bigger ships should generally always be better but all ships should at least have some sort of role throughout the game. Not just for gameplay but for performance, more battleship heavy fleets means less ships on the map meaning way better performance.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I do think it'd be fair if platforms could also disengage (crippled beyond being able to contribute to the fight) so the investment isn't completely lost in one bad fight.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
how do i feed my vassal? and if the game doesn't allow that for whatever reason how do i get rid of the all the lovely ai planets i just conquered?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DatonKallandor posted:

I do think it'd be fair if platforms could also disengage (crippled beyond being able to contribute to the fight) so the investment isn't completely lost in one bad fight.

It'd be kinda weird for ships to just ignore mostly-destoyed platforms but it's not a bad idea.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

how do i feed my vassal? and if the game doesn't allow that for whatever reason how do i get rid of the all the lovely ai planets i just conquered?

Open a trade deal with them, you can gift resources/sectors as much as you want.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ZypherIM posted:

Open a trade deal with them, you can gift resources/sectors as much as you want.

is there a tech or tradition i have to have? i tried trading and don't have any option to trade systems, only resources and information

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

ZypherIM posted:

Note that if you're at war the option to trade planets does not appear at all (it should really be visible but disabled)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
and i'm not at war

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

and i'm not at war

Do you have adjacent systems you can give them? You can only give them systems directly connected to theirs, which can often make feeding take like 10 trades to give all the systems you wanted.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This fidget spinner thing is getting out of hand.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Baronjutter posted:

Do you have adjacent systems you can give them? You can only give them systems directly connected to theirs, which can often make feeding take like 10 trades to give all the systems you wanted.

oh, that would be the problem

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hot Suggestion: build troop transports into the fleet manager screen. Have them follow the fleet they were assigned to and rebuild on a reinforcement click.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Hot Suggestion: build troop transports into the fleet manager screen. Have them follow the fleet they were assigned to and rebuild on a reinforcement click.

They should totally do it the Endless Space way and have carrier ships that have like a single gun but they carry X number of troops. One fleet, right click on planets to bombard or invade.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Baronjutter posted:

I just saw a machine uprising strike an AI. I don't know if it's linked to the contingency crisis, but an empire with synths was getting hit hard by the contingency and a decade or so later there's now a driven assimilator empire that's rebelled out of them. They're quite nice though, they wanted a non-aggression pact with me and I have full diplomacy options with them so I guess they don't function like the driven exterminators.

But this is the first time I've ever seen an actual AI uprising spawn a new empire before. Is it linked to the contingency? Will the contingency fight them?

Completely unconnected from the Contingency. AI uprisings happen if an empire has a shitload of unhappy synthetics in their empire. At some point, you start getting warning events. If you don't take preventative measures, eventually the synths get tired of your poo poo and rebel, forming a new, randomly generated Machine Intelligence empire. So, whichever empire this happened to was treating their synths like poo poo.

If this happens to you, you get the option to continue as your original empire or take control of the new Machine Intelligence.

The AI Uprising warning events can occur fairly early on, but the uprising itself may only happen once you've passed the year you set as midgame.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

hobbesmaster posted:

How? :psyduck:

The best I’ve hit is like 40k

OP explained it, but I couldn't even hit 40k without about 3 levels of endgame repeatable techs, so you're on par.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shadowlyger posted:

Completely unconnected from the Contingency. AI uprisings happen if an empire has a shitload of unhappy synthetics in their empire. At some point, you start getting warning events. If you don't take preventative measures, eventually the synths get tired of your poo poo and rebel, forming a new, randomly generated Machine Intelligence empire. So, whichever empire this happened to was treating their synths like poo poo.

If this happens to you, you get the option to continue as your original empire or take control of the new Machine Intelligence.

The AI Uprising warning events can occur fairly early on, but the uprising itself may only happen once you've passed the year you set as midgame.

It's weird that individualist synths would form a machine intelligence. Shouldn't they just be a regular rebel empire made up as synths with only a chance of being a collective?
Also, contingency rolled over them before they could even build up a fleet, RIP synth country :(

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Honestly I don't know why people are so down on defense stations. I find that at pretty much every era of warfare they're always strong enough to decide battles if you can just engage in systems that have them. Maybe I just wage a lot of wars through wormholes but it's really nice having both ends of a wormhole capped with strong stations. It gives you a great forward operating base to fall back to when the enemy responds to your pillaging/invasions.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Spanish Matlock posted:

Honestly I don't know why people are so down on defense stations. I find that at pretty much every era of warfare they're always strong enough to decide battles if you can just engage in systems that have them. Maybe I just wage a lot of wars through wormholes but it's really nice having both ends of a wormhole capped with strong stations. It gives you a great forward operating base to fall back to when the enemy responds to your pillaging/invasions.

I'm a huge turtle player but as much as I love the idea of fortresses loaded with maxed out platforms I find they almost never actually come into play. I think the problem is that in stellaris the only thing to do is expand your borders, expand your vassals, so your frontier is always expanding too. I'm always on the attack, rarely on the defense. The AI generally seems smart enough not to throw their 30k fleet at your 15k station backed up by your 20k fleet, it's rare that I can "kite" an enemy into a station. And that hugely built up defensive station you've sunk thousands of minerals into becomes useless the moment you win that next war because now you have a new border to defend, a new vassal to worry about and so on.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Should I have waited for synths before uploading the alien brains? Now I've got a tiny amount of droids on a lovely planet and I can't kick them out or build more because they count as robits but aren't the kind of droids I can build

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Chad Jihad posted:

Should I have waited for synths before uploading the alien brains? Now I've got a tiny amount of droids on a lovely planet and I can't kick them out or build more because they count as robits but aren't the kind of droids I can build

There's a reason they died out, lazy buggers.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Spanish Matlock posted:

Honestly I don't know why people are so down on defense stations. I find that at pretty much every era of warfare they're always strong enough to decide battles if you can just engage in systems that have them.

You summed it up - a lot of the complaints about fortified starbases seem to be operating under the assumption that they should be capable of fending off determined assault by equal opponents by themselves, which would obviously be unbalanced as hell. They're designed to act as delaying fortifications and force multipliers against invasions - if the enemy sends their whole fleet at you and it's superior, fighting near the starbase might give you the edge you need. They're not intended to solo the entire combined fleets of rival nations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I'm a huge turtle player but as much as I love the idea of fortresses loaded with maxed out platforms I find they almost never actually come into play. I think the problem is that in stellaris the only thing to do is expand your borders, expand your vassals, so your frontier is always expanding too. I'm always on the attack, rarely on the defense. The AI generally seems smart enough not to throw their 30k fleet at your 15k station backed up by your 20k fleet, it's rare that I can "kite" an enemy into a station. And that hugely built up defensive station you've sunk thousands of minerals into becomes useless the moment you win that next war because now you have a new border to defend, a new vassal to worry about and so on.

I mean, it is kinda nice to have a mid-empire chokepoint. I tend to define 'core' and 'i can stand to give this up' areas so my original chokepoints still serve some use.

That is, if any AI empires were smart enough to pose a genuine threat.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

if you can just engage in systems that have them.

It seems to me that's a big 'if'. You get very big and covering your entrances gets more and more prohibitive. And then there's keeping fleets there. It probably won't be your main force, that'll be trying to break in to the enemy space. Hell, you might not even have anything to spare beyond your main force as they try to break the enemy's back. So by default they have to 'stand alone' against enemy assault, because they likely won't be getting support, unless the main force is depleted and the fittings are there for them to rest and recover there, which precludes defensive measures on the Starbase by default. Again, the Starbases stand alone, because the fleet's depleted and under-strength and probably swept away.

Finally back home and vaguely mucking around with 2.02. My understanding probably isn't as great as that of others.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 24, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arrath posted:

I mean, it is kinda nice to have a mid-empire chokepoint. I tend to define 'core' and 'i can stand to give this up' areas so my original chokepoints still serve some use.

That is, if any AI empires were smart enough to pose a genuine threat.

I love the sense of security but yeah, if the AI is actually making inroads in a war you've already hosed up hard. The only times I've found them actually useful is if they're a choke point between you and a fallen empire you're worried about waking up. Some actual credible threat.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

they turn into synths when you get synths

they're always unique and unbuildable, no matter which robot tech you have. though i forget whether they can even fit into basic robots

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If you use them to settle new worlds with the Expansion bonus, you'll get one extra pop each time the colony finishes.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I just started trying to play this and I'm really terrible! My main issue is that during any confrontation I can't catch the enemy. Like, they will just run past one of my borders or use a wormhole and their fleet will rip through my entire empire with my fleets chasing them but always behind. There is no way for me to catch up and it's frustrating. I've tried having many spread out fleets but thinning out my army means if I ever do catch them, they will destroy my small fleet and continue ripping me up. This is doubly bad when multiple enemies are attacking.

Any advice?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Pawn 17 posted:

I just started trying to play this and I'm really terrible! My main issue is that during any confrontation I can't catch the enemy. Like, they will just run past one of my borders or use a wormhole and their fleet will rip through my entire empire with my fleets chasing them but always behind. There is no way for me to catch up and it's frustrating. I've tried having many spread out fleets but thinning out my army means if I ever do catch them, they will destroy my small fleet and continue ripping me up. This is doubly bad when multiple enemies are attacking.

Any advice?

Build starbases and (with tech) planetary fortresses. Both have FTL inhibitors and their entire purpose in life is to stop exactly what you describe from happening.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Maybe it's because I play Spiral Galaxies but I usually have at least one place where I'm blocking a few empires with just a single starbase. Even if they're weak empires I don't want them dicking about in my space while I'm fighting elsewhere.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

Maybe it's because I play Spiral Galaxies but I usually have at least one place where I'm blocking a few empires with just a single starbase. Even if they're weak empires I don't want them dicking about in my space while I'm fighting elsewhere.
1x four arm spiral medium is my map of choice, and chokepoints are god. I'm guessing most of the people having issues are playing .75 (so many choke points they don't appreciate them) or non-spiral (so few choke points they're not relevant).

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 24, 2018

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Playable galaxy centers is good, especially if you hate staring at the pointless searing light from galaxy centers.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Improbable Lobster posted:

Q: Where are saves stored? The 'save games' folder in my Documents folder doesn't seem to have anything, which is really weird because I definitely have a few saves. Maybe it's a cloud save thing?

They're usually in My Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\save games, so if nothing is there then I have no idea. I have cloud saves disabled so I wouldn't know if that makes a difference.

eXXon posted:

Playable galaxy centers is good, especially if you hate staring at the pointless searing light from galaxy centers.

I'm tempted to get this just for the sake of my poor eyes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is it me or are .5 lanes and .75 lanes pretty much identical, and seem way less than 1.0 lane density?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Magil Zeal posted:

Jump drives do slow down your sublight speed significantly for a while after jumping though, so to really make them worth it it seems you need to skip quite a few systems, especially since the jump drives themselves also reduce your hyperlane charge time by a huge amount (so the majority of your travel time is sublight, not hyperlane). Still very handy of course, especially in spiral arms since you can jump from arm to arm easily.

Is the jump drive cooldown sublight speed penalty additive or multiplicative? I assume it's multiplicative (it feels like it, at least). Then you basically lose 60 days of sublight travel. Even lategame, that's only about 3 systems (for corvettes), isn't it? You can often skip a lot more than that (especially if it's psi jump). And if you have battleships/titans, it at least feels like jumps account for most of your travel.

Baronjutter posted:

Stellaris urgently needs at least one of these, preferably both:
-Elimination of corvette spam being the ultimate fleet design leading to thousand ship battles that slow the game down to a crawl.
-The fleet manager allowing shift and ctrl clicks to add ships in increments of 5 or 10 because holy gently caress clicking 200+ times every time you make a new fleet of corvettes is terrible interface design.

Bigger ships should generally always be better but all ships should at least have some sort of role throughout the game. Not just for gameplay but for performance, more battleship heavy fleets means less ships on the map meaning way better performance.
Unironically, get an autohotkey (or equivalent) script for that. I made one when I was doing some testing with different fleet comps against each other, all those clicks were both really boring and too much for my poor wrist.

Also agreed on corvettes being too good. In general I think the hit calculations are too swingy. Though I've noticed corvettes often only get pyrrhic victories against bigger ships, due to the big ships disengaging, while the corvettes never get a chance to because they die if hit at less than half hull by a L slot weapon. But that basically requires picket computer destroyers/cruisers, since you're not hitting them otherwise. Haven't figured out a good way to test corvettes with No Retreat against bigger ships with another doctrine, since attackallfleets won't work with that. In my testing generally if I'm using No Retreat the corvettes slaughter bigger ships, but with other policies the bigger ships emergency ftl out of there with lighter losses than the corvettes.

I think Paradox should decouple combat/non-combat sublight speeds, corvettes don't need the added advantage of being way faster to get anywhere without jump drives.

Really miss the old 100% accuracy/tracking arc emitters, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Staltran posted:

Also agreed on corvettes being too good. In general I think the hit calculations are too swingy. Though I've noticed corvettes often only get pyrrhic victories against bigger ships, due to the big ships disengaging, while the corvettes never get a chance to because they die if hit at less than half hull by a L slot weapon. But that basically requires picket computer destroyers/cruisers, since you're not hitting them otherwise. Haven't figured out a good way to test corvettes with No Retreat against bigger ships with another doctrine, since attackallfleets won't work with that. In my testing generally if I'm using No Retreat the corvettes slaughter bigger ships, but with other policies the bigger ships emergency ftl out of there with lighter losses than the corvettes.

In my experience, the most powerful fleet by far is a corvette swarm with the Hit and Run war doctrine and a Trickster Admiral.

You just don't take losses. Even if you only knock down a few of their big ships, you've probably lost way less and can replace/repair the corvettes faster.