Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Press photo of her arrest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Police are going to use C-51 to hold Elizabeth indefinitely under the definition of terrorism

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yea the circular firing squad! is almost entirely an online thing because, surprise, 90% of the internet is being mad at other people on the internet. Actual lefties pounding pavement? Very rarely does anything get purity tested. I mean if you’re getting drunk at someone’s home you can see some pretty fun rants, but the public business of trying to affect change? They’re just happy to have warm bodies. IRL leftie community orgs are generally extremely welcoming of outsiders - it’s all about that one common cause. Of course, I’ve never attended purely ideological organization meetings, so I don’t know how the Marxist-Leninist Party of Canada does things I guess.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 25, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stickarts posted:

Yea the circular firing squad! is almost entirely an online thing because, surprise, 90% of the internet is being mad at other people on the internet. Actual lefties pounding pavement? Very rarely does anything get purity tested. I mean if you’re getting drunk at someone’s home you can see some pretty fun rants, but the public business of trying to affect change? They’re just happy to have warm bodies. IRL leftie community orgs are generally extremely welcoming of outsiders - it’s all about that one common cause. Of course, I’ve never attended purely ideological organization meetings, so I don’t know how the Marxist-Leninist Party of Canada does things I guess.

Over the last year I've tried to get more politically active in real life with various groups and I was always terrified I'd use some wrong pronoun and get kicked out, or forget to list a specific first-nations group when acknowledging that this meeting is taking place on the unseeded territory of this and that groups and be declared a colonizer. But guess what, despite hanging out with a big ol' mix of the most stereotypical SJW's everyone has been super chill and nice. People explain their views and are ok if you don't 100% share them with the same intensity that they do. People mostly talk about effectively organizing, how to get the message out, how to pressure politicians, not circle jerking about who has the most de-colonized mind in the room.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://twitter.com/denisebatters/status/976601339752050688

It's nice that we replaced "sober second thought" with "severe alcoholism"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arivia posted:

And how about those stop signs? They're so similarly coloured that people with think "GO CANADA GO!" and blow right through them!

Meanwhile, of course, alcohol is marketed with all sorts of flashy colours and gimmicks no problem.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Are we going to be able to see weed advertising during HNIC or is Molson going to have the market all to themselves still on conflating patriotism and mind-altering substances?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

hmmm yeah when u think about it its also pretty suspicious that both the maple tree and the marijuana plant have LEAVES, trudeau is trying to brainwash our children into "rooting" for the toronto MARIJUANA LEAVES in the nhl #oilers

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Stickarts posted:

This is pretty much my experience. I started volunteering for electoral campaigns there and there and boy oh boy they love any help.

Then I attended meetings to vent and criticize how they ran things. Someone nominated me and I got voted in my EDA.

There's a good range of opinions, objectives , and ideas in the group's I've been involved with. I've had a lot more frustration being involved as a union rep and local executive. You hit a lot of walls if you don't join the self-servicing hive mind.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also! Why did they call it THC!? Is it so children will confuse it for TEAM HOCKEY CANADA to attract young hockey players to the devil weed?? I'm just asking questions here!!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Arivia posted:

If she's really committed to using an image that repels young people and makes them leave in droves, she should just propose they use a photograph of anywhere in Saskatchewan.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
How dare cannabis plants have leaves so similar to maple leaves in the first place

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Gerald Stanley is apparently fishing for a book deal to "set the record straight".

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

How many pages does he really need to say "Here's exactly how I shot an indigenous man in the back of the head"?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
When is he getting his platform as part of the "Unpopular Speaker's Series" at WFL

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

vyelkin posted:

How many pages does he really need to say "Here's exactly how I shot an indigenous man in the back of the head"?

How dare you insinuate that was anything but the most unfortunate of accidents unfairly hoisted upon a man exercising the utmost of care and control. Think of what Gerald's family must be going through right now. For you to level that kind of accusation? Traumatising to say the least.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

hmmm yeah when u think about it its also pretty suspicious that both the maple tree and the marijuana plant have LEAVES, trudeau is trying to brainwash our children into "rooting" for the toronto MARIJUANA LEAVES in the nhl #oilers

And this brings us to the most despicable, vile truth about Andrew Scheer, he is a Sens fan.

#gohabs

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

gently caress this man

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

TheKingofSprings posted:

It gets blown out of proportion because there are people with an agenda actively trying to hyperbolize it to draw more people to their cause on the right.

It’s difficult to combat, and it’s among a few right-wing tools that have been giving the left problems for a while.

Part of the issue is the message being sold

Left: YOU are part of the problem

Right: OTHERS are the problem

One of these is a lot easier to get into than the other. Being able to see how you contribute to the lovely state of the world actually takes a bit of a long walk, learning about a number of different topics before realising "Wow, society needs to change!" Discussions among people who have already taken that long journey will be ultimately unpenetrable to someone who's come in new, right in the middle of an ongoing discussion, where all that fundamental stuff was debated to death ages ago.

Think about someone new to politics coming into this thread and saying "Hey I heard that if we cut taxes, more people will get jobs and that's a good thing right?" They would not be treated kindly, and no one is going to be willing to put in all that effort to nicely re-argue something that was established for most of us years ago, and no one else in this thread wants to read that same tired argument all over again.

But when you present a newbie with the conclusion up front, "gently caress you and your lovely society" they're going to think you're an rear end in a top hat, and not want to listen to you anymore. Care needs to be taken to guide people along the path that'll lead them to realise "Hunh, turns out society is bad after all, and I'm part of that". It's a very difficult marketing problem, to get over people's natural defensiveness. Especially when the other side has the much easier job of saying "Blame others!"

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
So this is only grade school level of politics but what do y'all think about this.

Edit grade school politics so probably wrong for a real politics thread.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 24, 2018

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Knowing nothing about it at all it seems kinda skeezy to assume that multiple women are making up sexual assault allegations just to try to keep some dude from being student union prez.

Only 31% of sexual assaults are ever reported to cops.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Stickarts posted:

Knowing nothing about it at all it seems kinda skeezy to assume that multiple women are making up sexual assault allegations just to try to keep some dude from being student union prez.

Only 31% of sexual assaults are ever reported to cops.

Edit rethinking probably wrong thread for this topic. Should just stick to real politics.

Is there a Canadian general news thread?

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 24, 2018

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Chillyrabbit posted:

I just firmly believe that sexual assaults need to be reported to the police for the justice system to deal with.

If we just encourage people to just air out these allegations in the air without ever approaching the police, it can potentially devolve us into mob rule. Where someone just needs to cry "witch" and the loyal townsfolk burn the "witch".

In this case it just seems kind of suspicious that when someone is on the cusp of winning and opposing the current president of the Student union, (and there have already been character attacks misrepresenting Nikbakht by calling him racist) that all these allegations that they were sexually assaulted by the new President.

But maybe the simpler explanation is he is a scumbag, but I'm unfortunately always skeptical.

Like your skeptical when women repeatedly say that reporting sexual assault to the police is an awful experience and the police are often hostile to you reporting the crime to them?

edit: worded bad and originally said the opposite of what I meant :downs:

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 24, 2018

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 25, 2018

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I guess I would suggest reading more about what happens to the (mostly) women who, having been sexually assaulted/raped, decide to report it and the ensuing river of neverending poo poo they have to put up with all the rest of the way. Look at those numbers again. Everything you said is all very good and noble but completely ignores or discounts or dismisses or something the things rape survivors have to endure if they decide to go public.

e.

I saw a metastudy that goes as low as 15%

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 24, 2018

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Maybe I'm reading the wrong articles, but I read two articles on the topic - one by the CBC and one by the school newspaper, and it sounds like the number of women who have publicly accused him of sexually assaulting them is zero. The number who made such an accusation anonymously also seems to be zero.

So how are we supposed to believe the victims without there being any statements from victims at all, even anonymously? What are we believing?

Chillyrabbit deleted part of the post so maybe I'm missing something important. Maybe a victim did make a statement in which case you can ignore everything I just posted.

To be clear, I'm not saying "oh, maybe those women are lying." That's bullshit. But it does seem like a case where we might as well wait and see. Either a victim will make an accusation to the press or to the school authorities, at which point there will actually be a specific allegation with some facts, or none will and we'll never hear about this again.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Get out of here you alt right factist.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

You can do better than that.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

Maybe I'm reading the wrong articles, but I read two articles on the topic - one by the CBC and one by the school newspaper, and it sounds like the number of women who have publicly accused him of sexually assaulting them is zero. The number who made such an accusation anonymously also seems to be zero.

So how are we supposed to believe the victims without there being any statements from victims at all, even anonymously? What are we believing?

Chillyrabbit deleted part of the post so maybe I'm missing something important. Maybe a victim did make a statement in which case you can ignore everything I just posted.

Several anonymous statements have been posted. Feel safe to ignore.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

folytopo posted:

Several anonymous statements have been posted. Feel safe to ignore.

Oh cool, would have been nice to see those in the articles. Thanks a lot, CBC! Link?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Jimbozig posted:

To be clear, I'm not saying "oh, maybe those women are lying." That's bullshit. But it does seem like a case where we might as well wait and see. Either a victim will make an accusation to the press or to the school authorities, at which point there will actually be a specific allegation with some facts, or none will and we'll never hear about this again.

Yeah after I posted I realize this is the POL thread and I think grade school politics are best left there, sorry for deleting it and bringing this up.

Wait and see is probably the safest position, either the victims go to the police and we pursue sexual assault charges or we decide that mob justice Specifically only for anonymous claims with no evidence besides someone saying something is how we want to handle sexual assault cases in the future.

If the justice system is horribly biased we need to reform that system and hopefully it gets better, if we can't have the rule of law and have justice meted out by the courts. Where the only justice is popular mob justice. Our country seems to be on a down slope.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

xtal posted:

If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer

The guy testified under oath and the content of his testimony was widely reported. Contradictory testimony from the other eyewitnesses was thoroughly discredited.

I don't get how he thinks he can "set the record straight"? The record is already basically "things Gerald Stanley said".

bub spank fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 24, 2018

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

bub spank posted:

The guy testified under oath and the content of his testimony was widely reported. Contradictory testimony from the other eyewitnesses was thoroughly discredited.

I don't get how would a book "set the record straight"? The record is already basically "things Gerald Stanley said".

Seems like a short book.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 9, 2022

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

And that’s just it. How do you prove beyond reasonable doubt the presence or absence of an idea such as consent? It’s nigh impossible. Everything descends into heresay, waters are muddied, and reasonable doubt created. I don’t think anyone, aside from strawmen, seriously ever suggest getting rid of “Innocent till...” but you cannot deny there is a huge, huge efficacy gap when it comes to convicting in sexual assault cases. Add In the hostility (remember that Alberta judge who told the woman she should have kept her rear end in the sink?) that seems to be the norm every step of the way from complaint to verdict and only the intellectually dishonest can’t understand why so many people are demanding some sort of change.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

A big way to improve things would just be changing the general culture of things. Do away with rape culture, chip away at racism, sexism. You wouldn't see the problems suddenly disappear but better conduct by people would help things.

But that's also way way way harder and does little for the people here now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Arivia posted:

I really want As It Happens to cover this so we can get Jeff "Joe Canadian" Douglas asking if it's appropriate to for a mind-altering substance to be marketed with patriotic maple leaf imagery.