Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Soricidus posted:

what i really want is a gps app that shuts the gently caress up and only gives me directions when i ask for them, because i really don't need step by step instructions for how to turn into my own driveway. surely siri or w/e could do that? like it knows where i'm going and i can just ask "is this my exit" if i'm not sure

my favorite part of this is taking the natural language processing and moving it from one chunk at the beginning, potentially in a parking lot or otherwise safe and not moving, and smearing it out across the entire drive with the added bonus of road noise and distracting the driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Its a minor quibble but I really wish that the mapping programs would allow you to leave a topographical map up on the screen. Google maps comes close but doesn't allow you to use the "terrain" layer in nav mode and the screen quickly sleeps in normal mode even if you have the phone plugged in.

When I'm driving outside the city it is much easier to get a feel for things with a topo map.

maps are neat btw.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

OldAlias posted:

lol that situation is painfully relatable. spatial knowledge and reasoning is important and built upon, so I sorta get that people just can’t think for themselves for a minute, but not so much actively refusing to listen to simple instructions. they must have a really simple mental map of the city, with little more than a series of common routes imprinted on their minds(a nub compared to a cabbie). I’d wager the totally gps dependent don’t relate memory and space very well

im so, SO bad with directions

cell phone gps changed my life

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

graph posted:

im so, SO bad with directions

cell phone gps changed my life

oh same, or I used to be bad with directions, and no doubt stuff like approx. travel time, traffic & construction updates are useful. I just think a total dependence on it is a bit insidious (also location tracking), how :it feels like it can supplant your brain and reasoning. thinking about it I’ve also felt frozen up over what should have been simple directions a few times (esp when I lose track of my orientation, or time is tight) and got weirdly stressed / agitated when I couldn’t get an address or intersection. I don’t think it’s a good idea to rely on it for every trip as it might impede having an intuitive sense of where you are and where you’re going, but it can also help build those things. I still use gps but not so often, might just look at a map beforehand, though I’m not in a metropolis with complicated road networks or smth

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I used to be able to look at a Thomas guide and then drive an hour to someplace I’ve never been. now my brain is broken from over-reliance on gps and I feel anxious when I don’t have a computer telling me what to do.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
im great with travel time estimation but i have _zero_ orientation

'graph which way is north' no loving idea

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the most important thing is that you don't make any effort to learn or grow

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i live in an area with the rockies always in view to the east, which fuckin rules and helps a lot with being directionally challenged

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Phoenixan posted:

i live in an area with the rockies always in view to the east, which fuckin rules and helps a lot with being directionally challenged

western slope?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Phoenixan posted:

I live in an area with the sun in the sky about 12 hours a day and moving in a predictable pattern, which allows me to determine general directions

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Management posted:

I live in an area with the sun in the sky about 12 hours a day and moving in a predictable pattern, which allows me to determine general directions

i live in the same place most of the time, and i know where it is

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

outside of the California we have something called “weather” that results in overcast that makes it difficult or impossible to determine where the sun is on some days

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

outside of the California we have something called “weather” that results in overcast that makes it difficult or impossible to determine where the sun is on some days

In Wisconsin we do this crazy thing where the streets are all aligned to a cardinal direction and we have more than one type of building so you can navigate by landmark.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

in boston you just give up any hope the road you’re on will go in the direction you want so you just hail traffic satan and throw the gps out the window

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i live in a city with a nice easy grid system so you have to be extremely hosed up to get too lost for too long

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the streets are aligned with the cardinal directions here in manhattan if you’re a little drunk

fake edit: they’re also aligned with the cardinal directions in brooklyn if you’re really really drunk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

im not

and I know apple is technically correct

but no one, and I mean NO ONE, in real life talks like that.

say youre in the car and driving but following directions from the passenger who knows where they are going. imagine.. imagine if they said "take the second exit on this round about"... fuckin hell you'd push him out of hte car into the traffic and smile when you saw his mangled body in the rear vision mirror

in real life people would say "just go straight thru", meaning to stay on the same round and direction

jesus

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gps in GTA 4 and GTA 5 destroyed any attempt to learn the streets in the game

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Saying ‘the second exit’ is perfectly normal and especially helpful when the second exit isn’t in a straight line from the road where you’ve joined the roundabout from. ‘Straight on’ might be the third exit, or the first.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

im not

and I know apple is technically correct

but no one, and I mean NO ONE, in real life talks like that.

say youre in the car and driving but following directions from the passenger who knows where they are going. imagine.. imagine if they said "take the second exit on this round about"... fuckin hell you'd push him out of hte car into the traffic and smile when you saw his mangled body in the rear vision mirror

in real life people would say "just go straight thru", meaning to stay on the same round and direction

jesus

in latvia, we name roundabouts with numbers, since it makes for clear and concise directions

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
just used applepay and still got asked for a signature 🤔

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

in latvia, we name roundabouts with numbers, since it makes for clear and concise directions

the russians used an intersection

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

yep. this is incredibly dumb

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chris Knight posted:

the russians used an intersection

russians actually have quite a few roundabouts, and in russian law in a roundabout with no special sings the right to drive belongs to people entering the roundabout, e.g. all traffic has to stop to let someone into the roundabout

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

lmao a signature

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

you Can't Fake Those

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it's illegal

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

russians actually have quite a few roundabouts, and in russian law in a roundabout with no special sings the right to drive belongs to people entering the roundabout, e.g. all traffic has to stop to let someone into the roundabout

in turkey they have lots of roundabouts.

the signage is the same as in Europe: yield signs at the entrance and and triangles painted on the ground

however, something really weird happened and the priority just kind of switched, which means people are stopping in the roundabout to let people in. nobody actually cares about the rules

this makes a weird situation where the law says one thing but everyone does the opposite. surprisingly though nobody takes advantage of that and it's not like anybody tries to get a free car with insurance fraud that way

turkey is a weird rear end country. I'm so glad I married a Turkish woman

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

go play outside Skyler posted:

in turkey they have lots of roundabouts.

the signage is the same as in Europe: yield signs at the entrance and and triangles painted on the ground

however, something really weird happened and the priority just kind of switched, which means people are stopping in the roundabout to let people in. nobody actually cares about the rules

this makes a weird situation where the law says one thing but everyone does the opposite. surprisingly though nobody takes advantage of that and it's not like anybody tries to get a free car with insurance fraud that way

turkey is a weird rear end country. I'm so glad I married a Turkish woman

in russia it basically is

1) roundabout with no yield sing - people inside the roundabout yield
2) roundabout with yield sign - people trying to enter it yield

almost every roundabout in the country is of the second type, but for some reaosn they just cannot make this a legislative change

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:thejoke:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

all of the payment processors are dropping the signature requirement for us cards as of next month, at least for chip/nfc transactions

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah it’s dumb af that the US didn’t go chip & pin but instead went chip & signature

otoh, I worked at a drugstore once and got to witness stuff like people saying they were running their debit card as a credit “so they didn’t have to give out the PIN” and a shitload of people who just flat out couldn’t remember their debit PIN

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

remember when credit cards were fast and convenient before all of this chip and apple pay garbage?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they still are? you just tap your card and it goes, if it's a larger purchase you insert your card and punch in a 4-6 digit number. it takes literally 10 seconds start to finish

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

they still are? you just tap your card and it goes, if it's a larger purchase you insert your card and punch in a 4-6 digit number. it takes literally 10 seconds start to finish

not in the US. here you have to put your card in a slot and wait like 12 seconds before it buzzes angrily at you to remove it. in the past you'd just swipe and that'd be it. apple pay is okay when it works, but it rarely does. and then you look like an idiot while you fish out your card from your wallet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm sorry your country hasn't figured out merchant services yet.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i'm sorry your country hasn't figured out merchant services yet.

we did. and then we gave it up for this european nonsense.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

not in the US. here you have to put your card in a slot and wait like 12 seconds before it buzzes angrily at you to remove it. in the past you'd just swipe and that'd be it. apple pay is okay when it works, but it rarely does. and then you look like an idiot while you fish out your card from your wallet.

holy poo poo, that’s an entire hour stolen from your day if you make 300 separate purchases

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cool, chip & pin chat, again

let's do transit or measurement chat next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

holy poo poo, thats an entire hour stolen from your day if you make 300 separate purchases

Yeah, I would think stores with a high volume of transactions would be pretty pissed that it takes 10x as long to check people out.