Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Never thought I'd see the day Dershowitz accidentally wandered into the right side of history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Never thought I'd see the day Dershowitz accidentally wandered into the right side of history.

Even a broken human is right twice a lifetime

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

Kim Jong Il posted:

Once again you're both wrong, and have cited zero evidence for your fictitious claims.

The abductions were on 6/12. The actual war didn't start for nearly a month. There was a month of escalation, and then after a gigantic barrage of rocket fire, Netanyahu announced Protective Edge officially citing the rocket fire.

And on 6/11, Israel fired a missile into Gaza, assassinating a Hamas political figure and killing a Palestinian civilian (a child, in fact) in direct violation of the ceasefire. So how is then that when Israel breaks the ceasefire and launches a deadly projectile into Gaza, this isn't Israel starting a war but when (primarily non-Hamas) militants fire piss rockets into Israel after the latter has already torn the ceasefire agreement to shreds, they're responsible for starting the war? Oh, right: the Palestinians are always to blame.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Uhhh, yelling out at an atrocity "no don't do it, it's bad optics" is hardly an act of a hero

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

A month of escalation by Israel. Of course Israel cited the rocket fire - they'd spent the previous four weeks doing everything they could to provoke some sort of pushback, such as arresting hundreds of people and engaging in dozens of airstrikes against Gaza (while deliberately concealing the deaths of the kidnapping victims so that they could continue their draconian crackdown), eventually leading Hamas to launch rockets for the first time in over a year.

This is utter rubbish. Retaliation against Hamas attacks is not one sided escalation. And didn't you just say there were no violations?

quote:

In any case, the actual reason for the war was neither the kidnappings nor the rockets - it was a Palestinian reconciliation agreement and unity government

This is laughable conspiracy nonsense. There's zero evidence for this, and there's a mountain of evidence that Hamas and Fatah need no help to utterly despise each other. You're conveniently ignoring the actual incentives for war - that Hamas intentionally escalates conflicts to maintain their grasp on power, and has a track record of doing this since the early 90s.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
impressive, that israel was retaliating, on 6/11

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
I'm sorry that comment back there came off flippant and cruel; that wasn't the way I should have worded the point I wanted to make. In the future I will try to show more of my compassion for Palestinians and to be more vigilant against myself making assholey sounding comments, but no promises.

Miftan posted:

For the record, I was at those protest where according to Steve the IDF has good reasons to switch to live ammo.
(...)
To be fair I've never seen a soldier shoot live ammo with intent to kill.
'For the record, I was at Woodstock... but to be fair I never heard any music play.'

Did I say the IDF had good reason to switch to live ammo? Or did I clarify that they don't do these things purely for the evulz? My intention is usually the latter but maybe it sometimes comes off as the former.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

quote:

Israel claimed that Hamas was digging a tunnel into their territory, and about to launch an attack.
And I've yet to see any actual evidence presented in favor of this theory (that the tunnel Israel raided was specifically for arms, or that Hamas was planning an imminent attack).
They don't need to prove it was specifically for arms nor for an imminent attack. It's a tunnel into their territory made by a terrorist organization which happens to be hellbent solely on their destruction. I doubt they were using it to deliver chocolate chip cookies to their Jewish friends. It's an attack tunnel regardless of what unneccessary hoops you set up.
Granted, it would have been smarter to set up some kind of long-term sting operation with cameras to cook up some better hasbara, and arrest them the minute they set foot on Israeli territory.

FreshlyShaven posted:

And on 6/11, Israel fired a missile into Gaza, assassinating a Hamas political figure and killing a Palestinian civilian (a child, in fact) in direct violation of the ceasefire. So how is then that when Israel breaks the ceasefire and launches a deadly projectile into Gaza, this isn't Israel starting a war but when (primarily non-Hamas) militants fire piss rockets into Israel after the latter has already torn the ceasefire agreement to shreds, they're responsible for starting the war? Oh, right: the Palestinians are always to blame.

I'm looking at several complete casualty lists for that year and I can't find anything that happened on 6/11/2014.
None of the events earlier that year meet your description, either.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Uhhh, yelling out at an atrocity "no don't do it, it's bad optics" is hardly an act of a hero

Yeah but it's still on the side of not committing the atrocity, which is progress, especially for Dershowitz.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kim Jong Il posted:

This is utter rubbish. Retaliation against Hamas attacks is not one sided escalation. And didn't you just say there were no violations?

if someone fires dinky rockets into your country that don't hurt anyone and your response is to kill thousands of people in bombings yeah it's one sided escalation.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kim Jong Il posted:

Likud intentionally escalates conflicts to maintain their grasp on power, and has a track record of doing this since the early 90s.

Yes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nameless_Steve posted:

I'm looking at several complete casualty lists for that year and I can't find anything that happened on 6/11/2014.

I guess your casualty lists aren't all that complete, then.

quote:

Ali al-Awour (pictured above on the left) was a 10-year-old boy from Gaza who loved to play soccer. On June 11, 2014, Ali was riding on the back of his uncle’s motorcycle when an Israeli missile targeting his uncle, a suspected member of a militant group, struck the vehicle. He found himself on a hospital bed in intensive care for three days before dying of his wounds.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/976487143953588224

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Nameless_Steve posted:

I'm sorry that comment back there came off flippant and cruel; that wasn't the way I should have worded the point I wanted to make. In the future I will try to show more of my compassion for Palestinians and to be more vigilant against myself making assholey sounding comments, but no promises.

'For the record, I was at Woodstock... but to be fair I never heard any music play.'

Did I say the IDF had good reason to switch to live ammo? Or did I clarify that they don't do these things purely for the evulz? My intention is usually the latter but maybe it sometimes comes off as the former.

And I've yet to see any actual evidence presented in favor of this theory (that the tunnel Israel raided was specifically for arms, or that Hamas was planning an imminent attack).
They don't need to prove it was specifically for arms nor for an imminent attack. It's a tunnel into their territory made by a terrorist organization which happens to be hellbent solely on their destruction. I doubt they were using it to deliver chocolate chip cookies to their Jewish friends. It's an attack tunnel regardless of what unneccessary hoops you set up.
Granted, it would have been smarter to set up some kind of long-term sting operation with cameras to cook up some better hasbara, and arrest them the minute they set foot on Israeli territory.

[/quote]

By and large the tunnels are for smuggling basic supplies and to allow Palestinians to travel to work in Israel. Im sure those are also attacks in your estimation.

Imagine this scenario with the US and Mexico. Would you defend the US carpet bombing Mexico City because of illegal immigration? Hopefully not because it is absolutely disproportionate.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

looks like both sides has a few bad apples. guess the palestinians really do deserve annihilation, can't go around hurting people feelings like that

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In case you were wondering Elor's mom's fingernails spell "גיבור של אמא" - Mommy's Hero.

Classy family, for sure.

While we're at it:

Elor: "Bibi you crossdresser, who needs a cease fire, tear into them and their mothers!!"
Elor's dad, Charlie: "drat straight, tear into them and their mothers"
Elor: "Kill them all"
Elor's mom: "Those who hurt jews must be exterminated, women and children too, and first and foremost [MK Haneen] Zoabi!"

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 23, 2018

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Forgot the part where Elor's mom actually says 'we should stop being human and kill them', so uh, at least they're meeting their goals, I guess?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Nameless_Steve posted:

They don't need to prove it was specifically for arms nor for an imminent attack.
If the tunnel was not being used for arms or an attack, then it wasn't a violation of the ceasefire. That's why the IDF should be credited with breaking the ceasefire, not Hamas.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 24, 2018

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
The beauty too is if you go back in time the excuse Israel gave for its violations changed daily. They finally ended up saying it was because of tunnels yet tunnels had nothing to do with the kidnappings or the subsequent invasion of the west bank (brothers keeper iirc) which at first was said to be to try and find the kidnapped person. Of course once it is revealed that they knew they were killed even as they were doing this they had to pivot. Then it became about the half dozen piss rockets launched which even the IDF says was rogue people and not directed by Hamas. Then it became about the tunnels. The entire time Israel is progressively escalating it up to full blow military attacks. Which was also revealed that the IDF had been planning that since the ceasefire began.

And all of that treats the situation as if it were two sovereign powers duking it out. In reality Israel has Palestine completely subjugated and not only were their actions heinous but violated international law including treaties Israel is party to. There is absolutely no excuse for their actions, even if you took everything they said and did at face value, which you absolutely should not.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Yeah I still recall vividly the day the narrative for Pillar of Defense changed from "wipe out Hamas/stop the rockets" to "destroy all the tunnels." Later it was reported that when the IDF ground invasion started, they encountered practically no organized resistance and were just going around wrecking poo poo until they realized that it wasn't turning into the righteous, telegenic invasion they planned on. That's when it became all about tunnels.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I remember all the smartphone footage coming out of the first few days of the invasion which painted the IDF in a real bad light. They naturally responded in the least incriminating way possible, by declaring that Hamas were using the power plant to store rockets and guns, and bombing the poo poo out of it. The footage dried up within a few days.

Was that plant ever repaired? I remember MIGF or someone insisting that Israel were the good guys because they hooked up the area to a functioning plant in Israel and only cut the power a couple of times a day.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Yeah I still recall vividly the day the narrative for Pillar of Defense changed from "wipe out Hamas/stop the rockets" to "destroy all the tunnels." Later it was reported that when the IDF ground invasion started, they encountered practically no organized resistance and were just going around wrecking poo poo until they realized that it wasn't turning into the righteous, telegenic invasion they planned on. That's when it became all about tunnels.

Well you know, gotta mow the lawn regularly. Otherwise these helots might get uppity.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Conveniently pretty much anything counts as "terrorist infrastructure" if you stretch the definition enough. Or just don't give a poo poo in the first place.

e: It occurs to me that's the whole point as like 60% of the google hits for that phrase are justifying the IDF blowing poo poo up and another 30% are justifying blowing poo poo up in Pakistan. Technically terrorists use electricity and sewer systems though, right? :thunk:

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 24, 2018

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I remember all the smartphone footage coming out of the first few days of the invasion which painted the IDF in a real bad light. They naturally responded in the least incriminating way possible, by declaring that Hamas were using the power plant to store rockets and guns, and bombing the poo poo out of it. The footage dried up within a few days.

Was that plant ever repaired? I remember MIGF or someone insisting that Israel were the good guys because they hooked up the area to a functioning plant in Israel and only cut the power a couple of times a day.

It seems to not be fully repaired, and is only operating at partial capacity. That's one of the few categories where the failure of the rebuilding efforts to get off the ground hasn't really been a problem, though, because constant fuel shortages have meant that they can't even run the working portions of the plant at capacity.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So apparently there's just been many reports of sirens going off in Israeli settlements near Gaza. The army's claimed there's been rocket attacks and is charging into Gaza even though no rocket-impacts have been located.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/AnshelPfeffer/status/978001397412134915?s=19

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I hope that means the army's not charging in after all...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen a word about that. Just that the iron dome was activated in response to machine gun fire in Gaza, which sounds like a really lame excuse.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was half-listening to the report on the Israeli channel 1 night news until I realized what I was hearing so it makes sense I mixed things up a bit.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It wasn't really clear what was going on 15 minutes ago either. Lot of people looking dumb right now, like her.

https://twitter.com/AAhronheim/status/978002159806697472?s=19

Posted a bunch of videos of the alleged Hamas rockets and then the IDF said there weren't any lol.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

It wasn't really clear what was going on 15 minutes ago either. Lot of people looking dumb right now, like her.

https://twitter.com/AAhronheim/status/978002159806697472?s=19

Posted a bunch of videos of the alleged Hamas rockets and then the IDF said there weren't any lol.

They could have been Iron Dome interceptors, which are rockets. :shrug:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
https://www.facebook.com/DimonaNews/videos/1489321934527449/

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They could have been Iron Dome interceptors, which are rockets. :shrug:

That's not how she framed it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

That's not how she framed it.

She was clearly mistaken. But it's not like there was just nothing going on and she fabricated rockets out of whole cloth.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Are there tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists in Israel like here in the states? They're probably having a good time right now

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

It seems to not be fully repaired, and is only operating at partial capacity. That's one of the few categories where the failure of the rebuilding efforts to get off the ground hasn't really been a problem, though, because constant fuel shortages have meant that they can't even run the working portions of the plant at capacity.
Haha, yes, that's why they kept confiscating the solar panels and allegedly added the components to repair the plant to the forbidden list of imports.

You know, the list that already has construction materials and basic supplies on it

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hey! You could easily stab a soldier with a construction paper shiv!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

Hey! You could easily stab a soldier with a construction paper shiv!
Every day I shake my head at the violence on both sides. The Israelis just want to live in peace, with all the land, resources and power. Why must the Palestinians resort to violence and not diplomacy when they aren't ok with this???

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/EdKrassen/status/978710169067630592?s=19

https://twitter.com/IsraeliPM/status/978743722555953152?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

I recommend resigning for his health.