Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xzzy posted:

The pi is amazing for what it is, not sure why people want it to be a super computer.

Well no it's kinda shoddy and long in the tooth for what it is. And being able to keep up with the stuff a smartphone from 6 years ago can handle is hardly a super computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I may have been using hyperbole for comedic effect.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
How do I troubleshoot network issues?
I've got my Pi connected by Cat-5 to my router. It is running things such as Pi-Hole, PiVPN, SSH, FTP, VNC and Plex.

If I try to access the websites for Pi-Hole or Plex, they timeout ("The server where this page is located isn't responding").
The same happens with SSH - "ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.100 port 223: Operation timed out".
And FTP - "Connection timed out or server hung up. The server you are connecting to may be configured to limit the number of connections you are allowed to make."

Bizarrely, I can still connect to the VPN just fine.

If I'm on the Pi, and type in netstat -lptn, it shows plenty of ports that are listening. For example
code:
tcp     0     0    127.0.0.1:4711       0.0.0.0*    Listen       1541/pihole-FTL
I can't think of what has changed, and it's rather frustrating.

Atreus
Sep 20, 2005
I wonder if you might have some kind of routing problem that could be causing that. Network wise, it might not know how to get there if it's using multiple subnets.

Can you get your pihole to reach google sourcing from your interfaces?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Check iptables (iptables -nL)? It reads to me like something shut down outside access.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

xzzy posted:

Check iptables (iptables -nL)? It reads to me like something shut down outside access.

iptables -nL

reports...

code:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target      prot         opt           source             destination
Chain FORWARD and Chain OUTPUT are identical - no entries.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I have an installation of DietPi. On top of that...

LXDE
RealVNC Server
Plex Media Server
qBitTorrent
Sonarr
Radarr
Jackett
Fail2Ban
Pi-hole
ProFTP
PiVPN

On the Pi itself, the internet works just fine.

fail2ban-client status dropbear + sshd

Both say total banned 0.

edit - Bizarre. Rebooting the router fixed it.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 19, 2018

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

If you want lots of power in a small box, get a NUC or something. If you want to gently caress around with servos or cameras or any other goofy electronics project you can think up, get a pi.

The pi is amazing for what it is, not sure why people want it to be a super computer.

I'm curious if the latest round of NUCs if they use USB-C for power. At that point you could just plug an Arduino in to it for the IO pins.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I'm curious if the latest round of NUCs if they use USB-C for power. At that point you could just plug an Arduino in to it for the IO pins.

The integration of usb-pd over usb-c isn't going very fast, especially for stationary devices. Manufacturers have to take a look at how awesome the yoga 720 plugs into a lenovo p27h, one cable goodness :swoon:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah my work laptop has USB-C PD and its fantastic. Getting ready to buy my first new personal laptop in years and it will have USB pd. My goal is to get one of the Lenovo Graphics docks that's also a port expander and just do one cable for everything. At this point everything i own is USB-C except my e reader so its just one cable for everything now. Having a USB-C rPi would be amazing.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lmao @ me

For weeks I've been struggling to figure out why I can't get any readings from the Adafruit DHT22 temp/RH sensor. I was further confused that the power pins did not appear to be giving the right voltages, or any at all.

Finally I realized that I had the breakout cable / cobbler thing plugged into the pi backwards, since there's no orientation guide on the pi itself.

Beware, check your pins, it could happen to youuuuu :spooky:

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I’d like to set up an rPi for Pi-Hole. Is there a recommended power supply, case, and SD card to get so I can just set this up and forget about it? Should I just get the CanaKit starter kit from Amazon? This will be plugged into a UPS so power surges shouldn’t be an issue.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

I drive a BBW posted:

I’d like to set up an rPi for Pi-Hole. Is there a recommended power supply, case, and SD card to get so I can just set this up and forget about it? Should I just get the CanaKit starter kit from Amazon? This will be plugged into a UPS so power surges shouldn’t be an issue.

I have a vilros kit that came with case, power supply, sd card etc and that is my pi-hole setup running on wifi 24/7

mewse
May 2, 2006

I drive a BBW posted:

The kit is good because you don't have to worry about buying pi + case + psu + sd card all separately, but the flirc case is apparently best in class and affordable from amazon so it might be worth just buying the things separately.

e: oh hmm the flirc case doesn't seem to be sold by amazon anymore :/

mewse fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 21, 2018

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:toot: my raspberry pi indoor weather monitor is alive, it's aliiiive!

It logs indoor temperature and RH using a DHT22 sensor
It logs indoor CO2 and VOC concentrations using a CCS811 sensor - still in its burn-in period so no useful results from this one yet
It also logs outdoor temp, windspeed, and pressure by grabbing the info from NOAA every 5 minutes.

Finally, I also wrote a nice ascii plotting utility based on gnuplotlib's terminal mode, where you can specify which of those data to plot, or plot all of them, you can specify how many hours back from now to plot, or whether to plot a specific day in the past, and you can specify whether to remove outliers at a certain sensitivity (possibly useful for the CO2/VOC sensor?).

Behold! Gaze upon my boiler's long-rear end heating cycle on a 28F day.

pre:

Weather - ctrl+c to exit                            

66 +-+---------+-----------+-----------+----------+-----------+---------+-+   
     +           +           +           +          + BB  B     +           +   
     |           :           :           :          :BB #BBB    :           |   
     |           :           :           :          BB  B#  B   :           |   
     |           :           :           :          B    B  #   :           |   
  65 +-+............................................#....#...#............+-+   
     |           :           :           :          B    B   #  :           |   
     |           :           :           :         B:        BB :           |   
     |           :           :           :         B:         B :           |   
  64 +-+...............................BB.........B...........BB..........+-+   
     |           :           :        B B:        # :          BB           |   
     |           :           :       BB  B        B :          BB           |   
     |     B     :   B       :       B   BB       B :           #B          |   
     |     BB    : BBBBB     :       B   :BB      B :           BBB         |   
  63 +-+....B......B...BBB..........B......B.....B...............B#B......+-+   
     |       B   : B    BB   :      B    :  B    B  :           : BB        |   
     |        B  :BB     #   :      #    :  BB   B  :           :  B        |   
     |        BB BB      B   :      #    :   B   B  :           :   B       |   
     |         B B#      BB  :     BB    :   BB  #  :           :   B       |   
  62 +-+.......BBB#.......B........B..........BBB.........................+-+   
     |          B:B       BB :     #     :     BB   :           :           |   
     |           :         B :     B     :      B   :           :           |   
     |           :         BB:     B     :          :           :           |   
     |           :          B:    B      :          :           :           |   
  61 +-+....................BB....B.......................................+-+   
     |           :           BB   B      :          :           :           |   
     |           :           :B  BB      :          :           :           |   
     |           :           : B #       :          :           :           |   
  60 +-+.......................BBB........................................+-+   
     |           :           :  BB       :          :           :           |   
     |           :           :           :          :           :           |   
     +           +           +           +          +           +           +   
  59 +-+---------+-----------+-----------+----------+-----------+---------+-+   
    -10         -5           0           5          10          15          20  
                                      Hour                                      

Legend:
B:   Indoor temp [F]
Actually, trying to fiddle with the dead band / delay in my old thermostat, and wishing I had a better way to characterize the outcome, was part of my inspiration for putting this together. I had no idea the period was so long though! I'm excited next winter to see e.g. how much shorter the cycle is when it's 0 degrees F outside.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Next step is buy a weather station and register with CWOP!

That way you don't have to harvest NOAA's information but can be a part of it. :spergin:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

xzzy posted:

Next step is buy a weather station and register with CWOP!

That way you don't have to harvest NOAA's information but can be a part of it. :spergin:

This is an eventual goal of mine. What's the cheapest weather station that's any good? Or should i build my own with the pi :spergin:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

alnilam posted:

This is an eventual goal of mine. What's the cheapest weather station that's any good? Or should i build my own with the pi :spergin:

I like my Ambient Weather WS0900, and they just started integration with the Saratoga Springs template. I made a quick mock site at http://keiths.crappyfiles.com/index.php to test it out, and it works very nicely. I had the one from Costco (can't remember the name), and it broke within a year and a half.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

alnilam posted:

:toot: my raspberry pi indoor weather monitor is alive, it's aliiiive!

It logs indoor temperature and RH using a DHT22 sensor
It logs indoor CO2 and VOC concentrations using a CCS811 sensor - still in its burn-in period so no useful results from this one yet
It also logs outdoor temp, windspeed, and pressure by grabbing the info from NOAA every 5 minutes.

Finally, I also wrote a nice ascii plotting utility based on gnuplotlib's terminal mode, where you can specify which of those data to plot, or plot all of them, you can specify how many hours back from now to plot, or whether to plot a specific day in the past, and you can specify whether to remove outliers at a certain sensitivity (possibly useful for the CO2/VOC sensor?).

Behold! Gaze upon my boiler's long-rear end heating cycle on a 28F day.

pre:

Weather - ctrl+c to exit                            

66 +-+---------+-----------+-----------+----------+-----------+---------+-+   
     +           +           +           +          + BB  B     +           +   
     |           :           :           :          :BB #BBB    :           |   
     |           :           :           :          BB  B#  B   :           |   
     |           :           :           :          B    B  #   :           |   
  65 +-+............................................#....#...#............+-+   
     |           :           :           :          B    B   #  :           |   
     |           :           :           :         B:        BB :           |   
     |           :           :           :         B:         B :           |   
  64 +-+...............................BB.........B...........BB..........+-+   
     |           :           :        B B:        # :          BB           |   
     |           :           :       BB  B        B :          BB           |   
     |     B     :   B       :       B   BB       B :           #B          |   
     |     BB    : BBBBB     :       B   :BB      B :           BBB         |   
  63 +-+....B......B...BBB..........B......B.....B...............B#B......+-+   
     |       B   : B    BB   :      B    :  B    B  :           : BB        |   
     |        B  :BB     #   :      #    :  BB   B  :           :  B        |   
     |        BB BB      B   :      #    :   B   B  :           :   B       |   
     |         B B#      BB  :     BB    :   BB  #  :           :   B       |   
  62 +-+.......BBB#.......B........B..........BBB.........................+-+   
     |          B:B       BB :     #     :     BB   :           :           |   
     |           :         B :     B     :      B   :           :           |   
     |           :         BB:     B     :          :           :           |   
     |           :          B:    B      :          :           :           |   
  61 +-+....................BB....B.......................................+-+   
     |           :           BB   B      :          :           :           |   
     |           :           :B  BB      :          :           :           |   
     |           :           : B #       :          :           :           |   
  60 +-+.......................BBB........................................+-+   
     |           :           :           :          :           :           |   
     +           +           +           +          +           +           +   
  59 +-+---------+-----------+-----------+----------+-----------+---------+-+   
    -10         -5           0           5          10          15          20  
                                      Hour                                      

Legend:
B:   Indoor temp [F]
Actually, trying to fiddle with the dead band / delay in my old thermostat, and wishing I had a better way to characterize the outcome, was part of my inspiration for putting this together. I had no idea the period was so long though! I'm excited next winter to see e.g. how much shorter the cycle is when it's 0 degrees F outside.

you mind if i ask which sensors specifically you used? This would be a fantastic use for one of my spare pis but I don't know which sensors I should buy, how much to spend, etc.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

alnilam posted:

I've been using an accurite 5-in-1 pro for a good 4 years now, it's never let me down.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

you mind if i ask which sensors specifically you used? This would be a fantastic use for one of my spare pis but I don't know which sensors I should buy, how much to spend, etc.

I mentioned them in the post :cheeky:

Adafruit dht22, adafruit ccs811
Well I bought them thru mouser cause i needed other stuff and mouser sells adafruit stuff. Adafruit alsp provides little writeups on how to wire each one and basic driver code to use it.

I also found adafruit's pi breakout cobbler handy for breadboarding, but beware my earlier post about plugging it in backwards :/

I also bought but haven't wired up yet a temp / pressure combo sensor to later put either outside or elsewhere in the house, the uh bmp280.

Hit me up if you end up doing it and want my logging code.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Baby question here: how do keep up to date with the public IP of a distant Pi ?
(In case the router restarts and the IP changes for example)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Traditional method is a cron job that periodically checks its public IP and updates a dns server somewhere. dyndns was how you did it back in the day, not sure if they're still around/reputable. I do it with my digitalocean vps because they have a really cool dns API and I host my personal stuff there already.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

Baby question here: how do keep up to date with the public IP of a distant Pi ?
(In case the router restarts and the IP changes for example)

Set up a dynamic DNS service and install the daemon/tool to automatically update the IP address?

I use no-ip for my sites. One site has the update service running on a QNAP NAS, and two have it running on Ubiquiti routers, so I haven’t messed with getting the service to run on Linux though.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

alnilam posted:

I mentioned them in the post :cheeky:

Adafruit dht22, adafruit ccs811
Well I bought them thru mouser cause i needed other stuff and mouser sells adafruit stuff. Adafruit alsp provides little writeups on how to wire each one and basic driver code to use it.

I also found adafruit's pi breakout cobbler handy for breadboarding, but beware my earlier post about plugging it in backwards :/

I also bought but haven't wired up yet a temp / pressure combo sensor to later put either outside or elsewhere in the house, the uh bmp280.

Hit me up if you end up doing it and want my logging code.

ty! I dunno if it'll be soon but i definitely plan on trying it out, what good is having a tiny device with gpio if you're not going to use the gpio? I've also got an arduino that's just gathering dust, I really need to get proactive

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
couple questions:
1) once i get some trackers set up for indoor temps, co2, pulling external info, etc, would i be able to also set up a simple local website on the pi to display the info? I'm thinking like, 30 days worth of info where i can browse to weatherstation.local or something and check stuff out.

2) Is there such a thing as a solderless GPIO header for the pi zero? I've got a W that I'd like to set up with some sensors but also don't have a soldering iron and don't have any projects where I'd need one coming up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I won't answer your actual question but I will tell you that if you plan to do any electronics work, even at an amateur level, you should really just get a soldering iron

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Having a proper soldering iron in the house takes so many ideas from "eh, maybe not" or "gently caress that would be expensive" to "spent an afternoon making something awesome."

mewse
May 2, 2006

I took up diy keyboard poo poo recently and through hole components are very, very easy to solder with a cheap kit from amazon

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

xzzy posted:

Having a proper soldering iron in the house takes so many ideas from "eh, maybe not" or "gently caress that would be expensive" to "spent an afternoon making something awesome."

Just like having an electric saw (table or miter saw) does not make one a carpenter, having a proper soldering iron does not make one an electrician/tinkerer either. I know, i speak from experience in both cases.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Don't buy a firestarter! Jeez!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A soldering iron doesn't make you an electrician, but having some tools that you only sort of know how to operate and using them to break things more often than you fix them (at least at the beginning) is basically the definition of tinkering

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Get a TS100 iron, power it with an old appliance/laptop transformer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll have you know I've fixed way more stuff with a soldering iron than broken it! :v:

Granted an actual electrician would poo-poo everything because the results look like poo poo, but stuff works.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

couple questions:
1) once i get some trackers set up for indoor temps, co2, pulling external info, etc, would i be able to also set up a simple local website on the pi to display the info? I'm thinking like, 30 days worth of info where i can browse to weatherstation.local or something and check stuff out.

2) Is there such a thing as a solderless GPIO header for the pi zero? I've got a W that I'd like to set up with some sensors but also don't have a soldering iron and don't have any projects where I'd need one coming up.

1) idk much about that but for my own project I borrowed a little info from this guide, which goes on to set up an SQL database and stuff, which I didn't do those parts, but you might get some helpful info from it.

2) First of all, having a soldering iron owns, as others have said. Apart from my own little projects, I've repaired so many friends' broken headphone cables and stuff.

But, Adafruit makes a "pi cobbler breakout" that runs a ribbon cable to a breadboard and has all the pins labeled. I found it really useful for prototyping, and in fact my sensor suite is still running from the breadboard. I plan to stick it through perf board and solder it soon to make it more permanent but :effort:
If you haven't used a breadboard before, it's a board with a bunch of rows of little plugs that you can simply plug an end of solid-core wire into, and all the plugs in each row are connected to each other.

The other option is get jumper wires with little female tips that are similar kinds of plugs as what you plug into in a breadboard. Those female tips could plug right onto the GPIO pins right on the pi itself. Whether the other end is male or female is up to you but they sell both types (search for "female to female jumper wires" for example).

e: oh poo poo I just noticed you're talking about the pi zero and I googled it and it looks like it just has holes for header pins... welp ignore my advice and get a soldering iron.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Guys, they are called hammer headers and are available at adafruit.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3413

Also just buy a soldering iron and practice with it.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

xzzy posted:

I'll have you know I've fixed way more stuff with a soldering iron than broken it! :v:

Granted an actual electrician would poo-poo everything because the results look like poo poo, but stuff works.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure real electricians don't actually have much use for soldering irons. The wires in your house are (hopefully) not soldered connections.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just use that for brevity, gently caress if I'm gonna type out "electrical engineer" every time it comes up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Electronicist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Electrologer