Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

is this A Thing in japan?

because it's only sold in japan

i mean i assumed it was for contractors at construction sites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think house calls are so much a thing, unless you're rich as croesus

i think doctors are just assholes who like parking illegally

what do you think home health care nurses are doing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fishmech posted:

figuring out what powder in the kitchen they can cut ethel's fent with

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sagebrush posted:

i honestly do not understand how "blockchain" is supposed to fix all the problems we have with all these things, or why it's such a big deal

i had a guy a couple months ago, a developer, find out i was fairly knowledgeable re. computers and stuff and he asked me "so what do you think about blockchain?"

and i'm thinking like -- well it's just a method of storing a cryptographically secure public ledger. right? like you could ask me "what do you think about AES-256" or "what do you think about the discrete hartley transform" and i would have the same sort of discussion. it's just a cs technique that can be used for some kinds of cs problems.

like, is there some deep computer science concept i'm not getting here, that would explain why adding blockchain to facebook or blockchain to credit scores or blockchain to sexual consent (all of which i've seen proposed) would be some massive leap forwards?

or is it just that blockchain is the Big Data / Internet of Things / The Cloud / Machine Learning / etc buzzword du jour and 90% of the people who use the term have no idea what it means

yes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

i don't know what they're doing, but it definitely doesn't involve a jaguar with a "MEDICAL DOCTOR" plaque in the window parked in front a fire hydrant blocking a driveway

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lol at the disengagement figs

https://thelastdriverlicenseholder.com/2018/02/01/disengagement-report-2017-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/

goog car is ok. gm car is almost ok. others can go gently caress themselves, lol

lolling extremely hard at mercedes, where a driver needs to pick up every mile

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

my money's on the fat one

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hey, looks like san jose cops are pullin in $120k

not even the secret service makes that much

nah most of them do, a lot end up capped at the current GS (general scale) federal rate of $164,200. They go up automatically to a GS13, aka Grade 13. Federal law enforcement then get another 25% base pay for 'law enforcement availability pay' or LEAP on top of that.

for example, Palo Alto would be in the SAN JOSE-SAN FRANCISCO-OAKLAND, CA locality pay area https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/salary-tables/18Tables/html/SF.aspx . so as soon as an SS agent was fully trained, if they were stationed in SF, which some are, your base would be $105,335 plus 25% LEAP which is $131,669. The steps within a grade total 30% of the base bay, so an agent with more than 19 years experience or who had gotten raises due to performance would be up to a base of $171,170 (grade 13 step 10 base of $136,936 plus the 25% LEAP). They also get paid overtime up to the cap.

Remember the 'Trump bankrupted the Secret Service?!??' thing from last year? It was because they were so short-staffed that all the agents ran up tons of overtime and maxed out on pay in like October, after which point the government isn't allowed to pay them and go over the cap.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 24, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jonny 290 posted:

figuring out what powder in the kitchen they can cut ethel's fent with

same thing house call docs were doing 80 years ago

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lol at the disengagement figs

https://thelastdriverlicenseholder.com/2018/02/01/disengagement-report-2017-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/

goog car is ok. gm car is almost ok. others can go gently caress themselves, lol

lolling extremely hard at mercedes, where a driver needs to pick up every mile

mad props to all the companies that are getting worse over time

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
did we talk about the fun new water park, The Decapitator
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/977310384842420224

pseudorandom name posted:

quote:

Brews up to (3) 5 oz. cups of coffee on a single 5.0Ah LXT® battery charge (battery not included)
lol
someone do the napkin math because that's cutting it really, really close

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/pftompkins/status/977339029288030208?s=21

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

JawnV6 posted:

that's basically 3 of those little coffees that you get on a flight

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

Do you mean like the energy considerations? According to my napkin, it would take about half the energy from one of those batteries to raise the temperature of the water from 20c to 100c. It doesn't boil all of it, just enough to push the water past the heater and into the percolator. So that sounds approximately right.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

go play outside Skyler posted:

i actually have a couple of friends working on construction sites, and i'm pretty sure that coffee maker will encounter a huge success (like their boombox). they just need to make an espresso version with capsules, because american coffee is just loving gross

no

capsules are an idiotic idea that makes everything more expensive & creates more trash

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

JawnV6 posted:

is that this one?
https://i.imgur.com/rkzngZO.gifv

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Krankenstyle posted:

no

capsules are an idiotic idea that makes everything more expensive & creates more trash

*flicks cigarette butts all over ur construction site*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*flicks cigarette butts all over ur construction site*

ya pipes are better tbh

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

they just need to make an espresso version with capsules, because american coffee is just loving gross

by american coffee do you mean drip/filter coffee? because one of the methods you use to make fancy coffee is filter coffee. the issue is the god awful stale ground coffee most people use, not the way it is brewed.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
smdh if you deign to use a paper filter rather than a gold mesh one in brewing such an elixir

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

smdh if you deign to use a paper filter rather than a gold mesh one in brewing such an elixir

see you up against the wall

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

paper is better

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i have to try this coffee. surprised that it's a sydney thing, and not a melbourne thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lighter-roast the beans tween your fingers into a rizla, roll it up & smoke that coffee like youre supposed to

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i drink tea

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

lol

huh i wonder how they actually got charges to be filed and laws passed against the company and designer in tyool 2018 when nothing matter-

quote:

Caleb was the son of Kansas state Rep. Scott Schwab.

oh right

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

high pressure coffee is the only coffee that matters

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

high pressure coffee is the only coffee that matters

wrong bitch

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Folger's offers a superior taste and on-the-go readiness that just can't be beat. For all you caffeine addicts out there - I've got news for you!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
wrong thread, wrong opinions

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/nycjayjay/status/977223261196029952

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

JawnV6 posted:

lol
[/quote]

zipline goons gettin work

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

holy poo poo, I swear I just saw something on tv about them making this. unless there's more than one quickly built tallest water slide with a hill in the middle

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

did anybody post that a model x exploded yesterday? https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-international/Sig-Alert-Issued-After-Accident-Causes-Car-Fire-on-Hwy-101-477762763.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder if it was on autopilot

Literally every single time I'm on the 101, though, I see somebody cut across an exit gore because they missed it but it is Business Critical that they aren't late so drat you fuckers get out of my way

So this could easily go either way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

"I rounded towards what used to be the front of the car and saw, remarkably, an intact man that was covered in a light layer of dust. The front of the car was simply gone."

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I'm not clear what the driver died from... inhaling the fumes from the batteries? It sounds like he wasn't burned from them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
tesla now applying reactive armour theory to automobiles, with the front of the car literally exploding to counteract the force of an impact instead of merely crumpling