Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I certainly hope so, and preemptively any company that cannot survive its employs unionizing is a company that should not exist.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

imagine the herculean task it will be to instill a fraction of class consciousness into these people

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nier Automata is not even close to AAA, it's a low-mid budget game that was elevated by being a total labor of love.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is that game still total labor to play on the PC?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

No, no - the machine is the one that goes into labor.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm just glad that Game Devs are starting to rumble about unionizing which would would solve a lot of problems in this godawful industry.
Every industry should be unionized.
Pretend I posted the screenshot of Jon Bois listing why you should be for or against unions.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I think there's a mod that fixes the port by now?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Film Brain has a review of Ready Player One out. I think his reaction to the film will probably closer to the one most people here will have compared to Angry Joe. Tl;dw: visuals are great, characters/dialog blow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D0JuFBECx8

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mr.Radar posted:

Film Brain has a review of Ready Player One out. I think his reaction to the film will probably closer to the one most people here will have compared to Angry Joe. Tl;dw: visuals are great, characters/dialog blow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D0JuFBECx8

This is about what I expected. All of the trailers are very pretty Spielberg shots of references happening while the awful main character fuckboi monologues over them.

It’s gonna be a movie that everyone knows for being the source of all the montage material on YouTube and nothing else.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spark That Bled posted:

What games that have come out last year have you played?

not very many as i am both really busy with and don't have a lot of money because of college. i think subnautica, slime rancher and forza 7 (ugh) are all.

e: oh if you include early access, i also have played astroneer, stationeers and empyrion.

Puppy Time posted:

There's really not a lot of good well-known engines for non-programmers, especially if you're starting with a small budget. Hopefully the Indie Utopia and the imminent decline of AAA publishing will lead to more options, or at least better-known options.

i'm not at all making GBS threads on unity, it is a real great engine in fact. however, all engines have limitations and bugs inherent to them and some indie games like subnautica are reall cool but did not have staff good enough to address or work around those bugs, which was more my point.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 23, 2018

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

New vid by Poparena about ITV's Doctor Who knock off Primeval

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lUJeEnvIzg

"The anomalies are conclusive proof that the past exists" Its worth a look if you're unfamiliar. It was really something.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I really wish Film Brain would just chrome dome, that hairline is getting dire.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

financially racist posted:

i'm not at all making GBS threads on unity, it is a real great engine in fact. however, all engines have limitations and bugs inherent to them and some indie games like subnautica are reall cool but did not have staff good enough to address or work around those bugs, which was more my point.

Oh yeah no, you didn't seem to be making GBS threads on it at all! It's just definitely a problem that the software right now is mostly made with the assumption that users are going to be coding competent, probably because programming was the only way to make video games happen for years (and because the people who make software are generally mostly around people who know programming).

Unity is a really cool engine, but it does have a pretty steep learning curve.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm hoping that there are better platforms for Indie games to come out for than Steam, which is just a bloated wasteland due to Valve's aversion to doing actual goddamn work.

itchio isn't perfect but it's pretty great ime and really deserves more attention than it gets

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lightning Knight posted:

This is about what I expected. All of the trailers are very pretty Spielberg shots of references happening while the awful main character fuckboi monologues over them.

It’s gonna be a movie that everyone knows for being the source of all the montage material on YouTube and nothing else.

yea I'm gonna HBO it after getting high and just enjoy the pretty visuals.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Augus posted:

Nier Automata is not even close to AAA, it's a low-mid budget game that was elevated by being a total labor of love.

Whatever, it would still have been out of reach of just about any indie studio and needed the resources of major publisher to be created at all.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 23, 2018

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Yardbomb posted:

I really wish Film Brain would just chrome dome, that hairline is getting dire.

Dang. It's been a while since I've seen a Film Brain video, so the difference is jarring.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Serf posted:

imagine the herculean task it will be to instill a fraction of class consciousness into these people
Scott is trying, but yeah I feel like people in tech industries are even more accustomed to be expendable and cut throat that the concept of solidarity and not accepting lovely work conditions/behaviors is alien to them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Serf posted:

It may not be as Herculean as you think!

https://twitter.com/john_brindle/status/976586686770700288
(click through for thread)

As for engines for non-coders, the big ones I know of are GameMaker and Construct 2/3. People can get pretty far with them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Movies with Mikey, Thor Ragnarok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrxqRoB7EyI

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It may not be as Herculean as you think!

https://twitter.com/john_brindle/status/976586686770700288
(click through for thread)

As for engines for non-coders, the big ones I know of are GameMaker and Construct 2/3. People can get pretty far with them.

All the anarchists I know (real ones who live collectively) are programmers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

business hammocks posted:

All the anarchists I know (real ones who live collectively) are programmers.

There are many types of real anarchists. Syndicalists would be all in on a video game employee union.

The discussion the twitter thread reports on seems to show more of an interest in trade unions and/or trade guilds like in the movie industry, though. Which syndicalists are really not fans of.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There are many types of real anarchists. Syndicalists would be all in on a video game employee union.

The discussion the twitter thread reports on seems to show more of an interest in trade unions and/or trade guilds like in the movie industry, though. Which syndicalists are really not fans of.

Real anarchists as distinguished from American right-libertarian/reactionary capitalist “anarchists” (don’t ask: we’re a bad country) who also infest parts of the American programming scene.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I know this was mentioned here when it first happened, so I guess the latest (and I guess final) development in it should be posted here:

quote:

The Fader Deletes Anthony Fantano Article Amid Settlement Agreement
Jordan Sargent // March 21, 2018

Back in October, The Fader published an article about an alternate YouTube channel that once belonged to the popular vlogger and music opinion-haver Anthony Fantano. The article cited videos posted to the since-deleted channel, called thisistheplan, in an attempt to map out Fantano’s political ideology. Fantano, who Spin profiled in November 2016, disagreed with the conclusions drawn by the writer, Ezra Marcus, as he laid out in a 21-minute long video posted three days later titled “The Fader Response.” In the video, Fantano argues that The Fader mischaracterized and miscontextualized the nature and intent of the videos on thisistheplan, as well as Fantano podcasts mentioned in the piece. Fantano’s fanbase was equally displeased, inundating Marcus with threats and verbal abuse, some of it anti-Semitic; Marcus also claims that he was doxed by those same fans.

Like any internet-based controversy, this one eventually blew over. But sometime last week, The Fader quietly deleted its article while its editors and executives were in Austin for South by Southwest. The URL for the story is still live, but the page now simply reads, “This article has been removed by The FADER.” In a brief phone conversation with Spin about the deletion of the article, Fantano said only that, “The claims have been settled.” A spokesperson for The Fader later affirmed that characterization to Spin, writing in an email, “The claims were settled.”

Neither party would elaborate on the nature of those claims. Marcus as well as Duncan Cooper, the Fader’s editor-in-chief, declined to comment any further as well.

https://www.spin.com/2018/03/anthony-fantano-needle-drop-fader-settlement/

Corek fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 24, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

business hammocks posted:

Real anarchists as distinguished from American right-libertarian/reactionary capitalist “anarchists” (don’t ask: we’re a bad country) who also infest parts of the American programming scene.

I'm not entirely a foreigner, you know. I've been exposed to American internet culture most of my life, and I've been living here for almost 8 years straight now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When I worked as a game tester for years, there were maybe two or three of us who wistfully wished for a union knowing it would never happen.

If it happens, I'll loving party all day, even if I'm not in that line of work anymore.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Every type of job should be unionized.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do you have a resource on the different types of unions and how different groups advocate/criticize them? I've always had some critiques of the way some of the Hollywood-style unions did things and their effects on minorities or the disadvantaged especially, but I wasn't aware that there were such distinctions and only ever hear it phrased in a blanket "pro-union" or "anti-union" way..

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Do you have a resource on the different types of unions and how different groups advocate/criticize them? I've always had some critiques of the way some of the Hollywood-style unions did things and their effects on minorities or the disadvantaged especially, but I wasn't aware that there were such distinctions and only ever hear it phrased in a blanket "pro-union" or "anti-union" way..

I haven't read up on this stuff in ages, to be honest, and personally I've only belonged to "trade" unions in the US. But basically the idea is that if you have trade unions, you're splitting up the working class in a way that makes it easier for capitalists to play divide-and-conquer. One union-based counter to that is industrial unionism like the IWW engaged in, where the idea is that it's much harder to d&c if an entire industry belongs to a single union which works as a unit. That can be taken towards revolutionary unionism (the source of IWW's notoriety), where industrial unions come together to form One Big Union which brings about working class rule through a general strike.

And that's aside from unions which are also bosses, effectively yellow unions, like the Israeli Trade Federation which at some point was also the major employer in Israel, so the leadership had a clear conflict of interest (and now is basically beholden to some trades at the expense of others).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Well, it's that time again, where I come back to this thread after a long absence because I feel the need to post something I found, despite it going against my better judgement.

A while ago there was some discussion related to Night in the Woods, and I picked it up while it was on sale (I think it was during its release anniversary or something). I haven't played it yet, but I've been meaning to (currently distracted with Bloodborne for the time being).

However, this article is apparently getting some attention: Night in the Woods: A Rebirth of Graphic Adventure Games, and Trumpian Propaganda In Disguise

Again, I'll say that I haven't played NitW yet, but calling it Trumpian propaganada seems...inaccurate.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/transgamerthink/status/977226772252123137

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 24, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"I'm not an elitist, I despise white Middle America because of legitimate grievances"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Max Wilco posted:

Again, I'll say that I haven't played NitW yet, but calling it Trumpian propaganada seems...inaccurate.

Yeah, that's a mind blowingly stupid read, there's so much poo poo wrong and :siren:-y there it's nuts.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 24, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, that's a mind blowingly stupid read, there's so much poo poo wrong and :siren:-y there it's nuts.
Naturally on moviebob seems to like.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Corek posted:

I know this was mentioned here when it first happened, so I guess the latest (and I guess final) development in it should be posted here:

https://www.spin.com/2018/03/anthony-fantano-needle-drop-fader-settlement/

At the very least fantano is still an alt right enabler who hides behind the excuse of "its just a joke!"

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

However, this article is apparently getting some attention: Night in the Woods: A Rebirth of Graphic Adventure Games, and Trumpian Propaganda In Disguise

If such a thing as "ruralism" exists making an incredibly strained and forced reading of a game that advocates demystifying and taking action against fascism as being in favor of fascism because it might possibly be sympathetic to the inhabitants of small rural towns is a pretty good example of it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The way to make an anti-fascist Lovecraftian story is to make the monsters the good guys. This is why Bloodborne is much better than NitW's watered down cosmic horror.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Well, it's that time again, where I come back to this thread after a long absence because I feel the need to post something I found, despite it going against my better judgement.

A while ago there was some discussion related to Night in the Woods, and I picked it up while it was on sale (I think it was during its release anniversary or something). I haven't played it yet, but I've been meaning to (currently distracted with Bloodborne for the time being).

EDIT: https://twitter.com/transgamerthink/status/977226772252123137

I didn't know J.D. Vance had a Medium account.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That take on why dead coal towns are racist seems reductive. Maybe if the author had spent more than four years in a coastal metropolis she would realize that those places are also racist.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
The German version of Shaun, Three Arrows, has a new video up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfHXJRqq-qo Its about guns and Nazis so it should be good for the whole family.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I've only started watching a moment ago, but I think Contra just won the high profile guest of 2018 contest. Chelsea Manning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Manning doesn’t do many appearances like that, right? I haven’t really seen anything circulated aside from her twitter. Good get, Contra. Dark Mother exclusive interview for 2019?

• Locked thread