Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Four White Mages? It’ll never work.

I liked 8-bit Theater when I was a FF-loving teenager. I doubt I’d like it as much now, but the author’s making actual comics now so that’s cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, I remember liking it but it's also been years so I should probably leave those memories alone. Either way the fact that he actually did finish it after 9 years is impressive in itself.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
final fantasy xv is the journey of the hawaiian man in america

10/10 goty

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'If you elves are as superior as you claim, why is your technology on par with humans despite the 9000 year head start?'

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
8-bit theater is edgy ironic shlock for dumb teenagers who think they're smarter than they are. Only idiots would ever like it or its author.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What is your favorite 8BT strip, Gologle

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Obviously it would be either the beginning or the end, one signifies the comic is over and the other is before you realize it's bad.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You can't trust your teenage self's opinions on anything, not even Final Fantasy

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Teenage me: Final Fantasy is awesome
Old me: Final Fantasy is dumb but awesome

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
There's a bunch of cute jokes in 8-Bit Theater, that are still really funny to me even now. The Armoire of Invincibility and the origins of Goblin Punch (or really, any time Blue Magic comes up) are both standouts in my mind that haven't been mentioned yet.

Something else I'll bring up is that, more than any other webcomic writer, I believe Brian Clevinger actually planned out his poo poo.There's clearly some teething and pacing problems at times, but you can especially see from the way he handled long-term callback jokes that he had plans and restraint that few others in the field did or do. The actual ending is iconic for that, but the one I always think of is actually how he handles the class changes; a throwaway flash-forward joke foreshadows the actual designs well before they actually happen, and there's also the joke of Thief 'stealing his class change from the future' coming back well afterward.

I dunno, maybe I'm defending what doesn't matter. But 8-Bit Theater holds up drat well afterward, even if it's a little rough at times, speaking to the author's skill especially compared to his contemporaries. This is a field and era where Bob and George was a leader, remember.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I went back and read parts of 8-bit theatre recently, and I enjoyed it more than most Final Fantasies.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ciaphas posted:

Damnit now I need to go re-read that. I bet it either aged badly or it was never good and I should keep my rosy glasses on :(

8-bit theater was never good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
8bt wasn't good but it was better than it had any right to be given when it was made

Mega64
May 23, 2008

bloom posted:

:yeah:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

8bt wasn't good but it was better than it had any right to be given when it was made

It was definitely one of the least bad sprite comics.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've never read 8-bit theater. I can take a look now and tell you if it's good or not if you want

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nine years of practice on that dumb ol' sprite comic made Atomic Robo possible.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've never read 8-bit theater. I can take a look now and tell you if it's good or not if you want

You could just read about the better jokes and skip the the rest of the comic. Some of the jokes are better as ideas than how the comic implements them. And the story is just an overly long retelling of final fantasy 1 with unnecessary expansion.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bongo Bill posted:

Nine years of practice on that dumb ol' sprite comic made Atomic Robo possible.
so 8BT is not just bad in and of itself but to blame for something worse

(I don't actively dislike Atomic Robo but it's not my cup of tea at all so I'm just trolling really)

(8BT did nail the ending joke so I give it lots of credit for that)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cleretic posted:

And, for adjacency-to-FF comparisons...
Kingdom Hearts 1: Bad. Same problem as VII and X; too much of a challenge jump for a game that isn't that demanding otherwise, while providing no story additions for a game that's largely focused on that. I believe the rest of the series generally has similar problems with its bonus bosses, but I don't really know/remember.

Nah the bonus boss fights in KH1 are pretty good. Kingdom Hearts isn't actually that unchallening a game, if you play on Proud at least.

And KH2 has some of the best post game optional content of any action RPG ever made.

Edit: Sprite comics owned.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 24, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloom posted:

teenage me: squall is a piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat
old me: noctis is like if squall wasn't a piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

loving lol at Kingdom Hearts being bad for postgame. It's one of the best parts of the series and where most of the best content is always stuck.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

bloom posted:

:emptyquote:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

And the story is just an overly long retelling of final fantasy 1 with unnecessary expansion.

Just like an official product!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I don't even give much of a poo poo about FF7 and even I got loving hype about beating Sephiroth in KH1/2. Those fights do a real good job of making you feel badass. I especially love Sephiroth immediately leading with his blade spam Scintilla bullshit and Sora just no-selling the entire thing via reaction command.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

Just like an official product!

Oh snap!

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

bloom posted:

Teenage me: Kingdom Hearts 2 would be better if the plot was less dumb
Old me: Kingdom Hearts 1 would be better if the plot was more dumb

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Microcline posted:

Teenage me: Kingdom Hearts 2 would be better if the plot was less dumb
Old me: Kingdom Hearts 1 would be better if the plot was more dumb

How much of that was teenage you not realising that they actually had plot stuff happen in the Game Boy game?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I don't even give much of a poo poo about FF7 and even I got loving hype about beating Sephiroth in KH1/2. Those fights do a real good job of making you feel badass. I especially love Sephiroth immediately leading with his blade spam Scintilla bullshit and Sora just no-selling the entire thing via reaction command.

Oop, here's your mistake: Conflating Sephiroth in 1 and 2. KH2 Sephiroth is hard, but he's not bullshit, has a story surrounding his appearance, and is yeah, generally a pretty decent fight. KH1 Sephiroth has more HP than the game is capable of rendering (about four bars' worth, I believe), can one-shot someone who isn't EXTREMELY prepared with a flick of the wrist, of course has no reaction commands to fend off his most dangerous moves because those didn't exist in KH1, and to me the cardinal sin, has a move that instakills everybody who doesn't have a specific ability equipped. That comes out partway through the fight, so you have to have made progress against him before hitting that wall.

KH1 Sephiroth is a phenomenally badly-designed fight, but the other bonus bosses aren't a great bag either. Kurt Zisa's pretty well-designed I'll grant, but Phantom is a poorly-articulated gimmick that outstays its welcome*. I never fought Xemnas in KH1, but to my understanding he carried many of the same issues as Sephiroth.

So yeah, I'll revise. KH1's bonus/postgame content is still mostly bad, but it doesn't carry over to the other games in the series so much.

*Incidentally, this is why you shouldn't make your postgame or bonus challenges gimmick/puzzle bosses, because they will outstay their welcome.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

How much of that was teenage you not realizing that they actually had plot stuff happen in the Game Boy game?

The beauty of Kingdom Hearts is that the more you understand it the dumber it is.

The challenge of JRPG writing is to be as outlandish as possible while maintaining a rigid (if not immediately apparent) internal consistency.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Microcline posted:

The beauty of Kingdom Hearts is that the more you understand it the dumber it is.

The challenge of JRPG writing is to be as outlandish as possible while maintaining a rigid (if not immediately apparent) internal consistency.

I thought the challenge of JRPG writing was to outfashion Tetsuya Nomura? Or is that the post game challenge.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Microcline posted:

I need to repost this again, don’t I?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

that is a really bad article goddamn

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

that is a really bad article goddamn

Yes, it's on Waypoint

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

I thought the challenge of JRPG writing was to outfashion Tetsuya Nomura? Or is that the post game challenge.

You're confusing writing with character design. Under normal conditions the writers and character designers are only allowed to communicate through the marketing team. Under ideal conditions each character is subcontracted to a different guest artist, none of whom are told the plot or even genre of the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Nomura wishes he could design something as insane as Luso.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Do the digital editions of the PS1 FFs go on sale on PSN? Kinda want to play IX but I can wait for a sale.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I was sooooo bummed when I went looking for the FF15 arrange album where they use synths from LoM only to find that Legend of Mana ~Promise~ is Legend of Mana tracks using FF15 real instruments

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Chaotic Flame posted:

Do the digital editions of the PS1 FFs go on sale on PSN? Kinda want to play IX but I can wait for a sale.

Once in awhile. Usually they do a sale on Golden Week (end of April / early May) for Japanese games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Microcline posted:

You're confusing writing with character design. Under normal conditions the writers and character designers are only allowed to communicate through the marketing team. Under ideal conditions each character is subcontracted to a different guest artist, none of whom are told the plot or even genre of the game.

Ah, the Xenoblade 2 method.