Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Kinda seems like the way to fix it is to take a cue from real life: small ships just couldn’t mount weapons that could realistically harm big ones. More hard counters for things. You need corvettes late game for picket work and for killing the other enemies pockets but they really can’t do poo poo to the enemies battleships - that’s what your battleships are for. You also need an ability to actually hold ranges - this makes carriers useful because the point of strike ships is that they can engage while the mothership is safe.

Battleships are killed by other battleships, by strike craft, and by a submarine equivalent.

Strike craft and missiles are countered by corvettes or other dedicated point defenses and corvettes are countered by dedicated corvette killers.

Destroyers are like amped up corvettes but are more expensive.

Cruisers are a middle ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The balance seems to swing between 'all small ships' and 'all big ships' and never has there been a time where all ship types were useful.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
All ship types are currently useful though. (Except maybe carriers)

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

DatonKallandor posted:

All ship types are currently useful though. (Except maybe carriers)

Carriers are never going to be useful unless there’s a system where they can stay physically unthreatened except by specific counters unless you’ve already lost the battle

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The only problem with a hit n run fleet is to make sure you never fight while injured, since ships have trouble disengaging when they start with very low hp.

Carriers arnt useful because strike craft are underpowered; they arnt intrinsically fragile or anything, they don't need to stay away from enemies. if anything they are tougher than other classes because of intrinsic PD. Strike craft being underpowered is also why corvettes are stronk since given their high tracking its apparent strike craft are meant to be good against corvettes.

Corvettes also stronk because its easy to max out their bonus hp. bonus hp techs are a mistake

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 24, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Phobeste posted:

Kinda seems like the way to fix it is to take a cue from real life: small ships just couldn’t mount weapons that could realistically harm big ones. More hard counters for things. You need corvettes late game for picket work and for killing the other enemies pockets but they really can’t do poo poo to the enemies battleships - that’s what your battleships are for. You also need an ability to actually hold ranges - this makes carriers useful because the point of strike ships is that they can engage while the mothership is safe.

Battleships are killed by other battleships, by strike craft, and by a submarine equivalent.

Strike craft and missiles are countered by corvettes or other dedicated point defenses and corvettes are countered by dedicated corvette killers.

Destroyers are like amped up corvettes but are more expensive.

Cruisers are a middle ground.

Counter Point: In WWI battleships really feared attacks by torpedo boats.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Libluini posted:

Counter Point: In WWI battleships really feared attacks by torpedo boats.

Well, the easiest submarine analogue Stellaris has is the Torpvette, so yeah.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Real life was basically rock-paper-scissors - every ship is countered by a ship that's slightly bigger, slightly better-armoured, and slightly up-gunned. Until the ships become so big that tiny "glass cannon" ships can inflict losses far greater than what they themselves cost, thus closing the loop.

Basically, corvettes beating battleships is totally fine. Corvettes also beating anti-corvette destroyers, not so fine.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

eXXon posted:

Playable galaxy centers is good, especially if you hate staring at the pointless searing light from galaxy centers.

I'm probably dumb for this but keeping the centre like that is a big part of my immersion. The centre of the galaxy would be such a different place to the outlying regions and settling there I'd rather leave to a full on DLC that creates mineral rich but dangerous areas in there.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

In my experience, the most powerful fleet by far is a corvette swarm with the Hit and Run war doctrine and a Trickster Admiral.

You just don't take losses. Even if you only knock down a few of their big ships, you've probably lost way less and can replace/repair the corvettes faster.

This has been my experience as well, I've taken to running corvette/cruiser armies if I want to have some larger guns because the cruisers can run 2 afterburners. Disengage chance is hella overpowered right now, I run 100% trickster admirals and I delete anyone who gets unyielding trait that reduces disengage. Repairs are super fast and easy compared to rebuilding half a fleet. No Retreat is a laughably bad doctrine and needs to be changed to -10% disengage or something to even be remotely usable.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Gadzuko posted:

This has been my experience as well, I've taken to running corvette/cruiser armies if I want to have some larger guns because the cruisers can run 2 afterburners. Disengage chance is hella overpowered right now, I run 100% trickster admirals and I delete anyone who gets unyielding trait that reduces disengage. Repairs are super fast and easy compared to rebuilding half a fleet. No Retreat is a laughably bad doctrine and needs to be changed to -10% disengage or something to even be remotely usable.

Or you just slow repairs down and harshly increase upkeep for damaged ships, but I mean, "No Retreat" meaning "until you have to I guess" is alright in my book if only a pisstake at old Josif.

Also, it seems a Devouring Swarm AI who takes Superiority first and goes Hit and Run is insanely hard to fight.

eXXon posted:

Playable galaxy centers is good, especially if you hate staring at the pointless searing light from galaxy centers.

Hahaha, this was so ludicrously broken with the old borders system, seems it'd work a lot better now. (Didn't stop me always having it on anyway :v:)

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 24, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The only problem with a hit n run fleet is to make sure you never fight while injured, since ships have trouble disengaging when they start with very low hp.

Carriers arnt useful because strike craft are underpowered; they arnt intrinsically fragile or anything, they don't need to stay away from enemies. if anything they are tougher than other classes because of intrinsic PD. Strike craft being underpowered is also why corvettes are stronk since given their high tracking its apparent strike craft are meant to be good against corvettes.

Corvettes also stronk because its easy to max out their bonus hp. bonus hp techs are a mistake

Bonus HP techs are cool, but they show up too early for vanilla ship progression, and don't scale enough for bigger classes. Strikecraft being just "strikecraft" isn't great either, it feels like they're worse than either bombers or fighters at their old jobs.

These are all things that are fairly easy to fix for yourself though with a bit of modding (I start with destroyers as the default ship size and you gotta grab corvettes with tech if you want them and gunship strikecraft that are much easier to PD down but are a lot stronger to punish PD-less fleets).

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Playstation 4 posted:

Or you just slow repairs down and harshly increase upkeep for damaged ships, but I mean, "No Retreat" meaning "until you have to I guess" is alright in my book if only a pisstake at old Josif.

Also, it seems a Devouring Swarm AI who takes Superiority first and goes Hit and Run is insanely hard to fight.

Actually going the full meatgrinder route with No Retreat is a good idea, make it give huge buffs to ship production speed and slash production costs in addition to the fire rate bonus, but it only applies (or provides full bonuses at least) during defensive wars? That would be fun.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

So effectively Harmony's "Bulwark of Harmony" bonus, possibly upgraded, and possibly stacking with it? Sounds vaguely interesting.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

Bonus HP techs are cool, but they show up too early for vanilla ship progression, and don't scale enough for bigger classes. Strikecraft being just "strikecraft" isn't great either, it feels like they're worse than either bombers or fighters at their old jobs.

I used to play my Cruisers with a carrier module and seeing the fighters all storm out and blow up any missiles that were heading towards me was amazing.
I miss that, it's a shame they're useless now.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

One way to make strike craft more useful would be for them to give an "Air Superiority" strength multiplier if you have them in a ship orbiting a world undergoing invasion. They could make taking fortified planets held by Very Strong/Resilient species much less of a bloodbath for the invader and reduce the number of armies that need to be maintained.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Taear posted:

I'm probably dumb for this but keeping the centre like that is a big part of my immersion. The centre of the galaxy would be such a different place to the outlying regions and settling there I'd rather leave to a full on DLC that creates mineral rich but dangerous areas in there.

The verisimilitude angle doesn't work in the time frame of the game. There's roughly one supernova per century in the whole galaxy so other than having a higher density of stars there wouldn't be anything radically different about the galaxy center. Sure there might be fewer habitable planets but the conceit is now that only a tiny fraction of stars have hyperlanes.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Is it possible to demand vassalization from someone you have a defensive pact with?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

eXXon posted:

The verisimilitude angle doesn't work in the time frame of the game. There's roughly one supernova per century in the whole galaxy so other than having a higher density of stars there wouldn't be anything radically different about the galaxy center. Sure there might be fewer habitable planets but the conceit is now that only a tiny fraction of stars have hyperlanes.

The density of stars is sort of what I mean - wouldn't it be packed? And also have more collisions and asteroids and so on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

popewiles posted:

Is it possible to demand vassalization from someone you have a defensive pact with?

Yep, break your pact, wait 10 years, demand vassalization, go to war.

Can't wait for a huge gutting/expansion of the diplomacy, federation, and subject/vassal system.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

eXXon posted:

You're coming at this all wrong

We're playing a game with stellar dragons that predate the big bang, and 5th dimensional invaders. Who gives a flying gently caress about realism? The real question is, would you rather have a galactic core that's just More Space or would you rather have a Story Pack dlc that fleshes it out as a weirdo high concept scifi zone that's meaningful to find a way to get into, and hold, and give it event chains all its own?

If we're going to the galactic core I want to find weird poo poo like Destiny's vault of glass, experiments to break causality or whatever. Lets get weird.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Taear posted:

The density of stars is sort of what I mean - wouldn't it be packed? And also have more collisions and asteroids and so on.

space is way less dense than you think it is - even in an asteroid-"dense" area like the asteroid belt in our solar system there's millions of miles between any object larger than a golf ball

that said, this guy

Captain Oblivious posted:

We're playing a game with stellar dragons that predate the big bang, and 5th dimensional invaders. Who gives a flying gently caress about realism? The real question is, would you rather have a galactic core that's just More Space or would you rather have a Story Pack dlc that fleshes it out as a weirdo high concept scifi zone that's meaningful to find a way to get into, and hold, and give it event chains all its own?

If we're going to the galactic core I want to find weird poo poo like Destiny's vault of glass, experiments to break causality or whatever. Lets get weird.

has the right idea, make the core an endgame area

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The Core's a dumping ground. Literally-'Missing in Action' fleets and the Science Ships that 'disappear' during that one event get sent there before heading home.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Have the core cluster cut off from the rest of the galaxy's hyperlane network, and only accessible by either jump drive or several wormholes, but the wormhole systems in the core are guarded by ancient automated fortresses. The reward for breaking in (or getting jump drives and sneaking in) is access to mineral/energy-rich systems, and things like the ruined megastructures should only spawn in this core.

Fake edit: This is giving me an idea for isolationist fallen empires - in their last exercise of power they cut off their remaining systems from the galactic lane network, leaving a few inactive gates in nearby systems. If and when they awaken, the gates are activated and their fleets emerge, with their first targets being anyone unfortunate or stupid enough to build in their gate systems.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

This would be nice.
And the supermassive black hole.

And just...it needs to be different.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Well, I mean, the obvious explanation for the core being empty of navigable lanes is that the massive gravitational forces of the core destabilise hyperspace travel.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DatonKallandor posted:

These are all things that are fairly easy to fix for yourself though with a bit of modding (I start with destroyers as the default ship size and you gotta grab corvettes with tech if you want them
That's a really neat idea I'd never have thought of. Wiz, for real, check this out.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

Yep, break your pact, wait 10 years, demand vassalization, go to war.

Can't wait for a huge gutting/expansion of the diplomacy, federation, and subject/vassal system.
Yeah, and especially fixing the CBs associated with it. I'm currently trying to vassalize this one empire, and facing a -300+ malus to force a surrender because my other two vassals have claims on them, that will be taken if I do manage to occupy the entire empire. This is kinda why I liked the ability to press a separate peace in 1.X.

Also- I have a Marauder raiding fleet parked outside my borders, just parked there, not attacking. I've tried talking to the Marauders about them raiding somebody else, but they say they're busy. If I destroy this fleet, will they go to war with me, or will they just accept it as "the cost of doing business is that they don't always come back"?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

In my experience, the most powerful fleet by far is a corvette swarm with the Hit and Run war doctrine and a Trickster Admiral.

You just don't take losses. Even if you only knock down a few of their big ships, you've probably lost way less and can replace/repair the corvettes faster.

Based on my experience of Void Clouds straight whacking my vettes in one shot (4 cloud lightnings kinda pack a punch), I wonder just how effective it would be to go for a build that aims for as much shield/armor penetrating alpha as possible to annihilate the vettes before they even have a chance to warp out. This of course relies on the bigger mounts not only hitting the nimble bastards, but concentrating fire and not spreading it across the multitude of targets.

There's just gotta be a happy medium between pre-2.0 doomballs ending in a complete wipe for one side and potentially shattering losses for the other, vs a fleet bugging out after losing 7/103 ships and coming back for another round in a couple weeks.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

there's counterplay to disengage, like fighting in black holes and equipping starbases with comm jammers; or just continuing your march forward and seizing the starbase they're retreating to.

what id like to see though is high disengage chance resulting in ships disengaging at pretty high HP....because of Cowardice Stacking

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I like what disengage results in: continuous fighting instead of just annihilating their entire navy in the first battle.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

darthbob88 posted:

Also- I have a Marauder raiding fleet parked outside my borders, just parked there, not attacking. I've tried talking to the Marauders about them raiding somebody else, but they say they're busy. If I destroy this fleet, will they go to war with me, or will they just accept it as "the cost of doing business is that they don't always come back"?

They absolutely don't care. You can even destroy everything they have in a system and they still don't care.
I don't like the Mauraders.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I just wanna say I think I might appreciate the strategic mobility that jump drives lend to my troop transports and construction ships even more than my fleets.

GotLag posted:

I like what disengage results in: continuous fighting instead of just annihilating their entire navy in the first battle.

Yeah, me too.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Splicer posted:

That's a really neat idea I'd never have thought of. Wiz, for real, check this out.

Here is the rough version if you want to try it.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Taear posted:

They absolutely don't care. You can even destroy everything they have in a system and they still don't care.
I don't like the Mauraders.
Good to hear, my fleets are on their way over.

Habits
Feb 25, 2008

Assume an accursed shape
cleanse through purity within
How do I transfer system to other players in a multiplayer game? I don’t seem to have the option at all and we’re in a federation.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Habits posted:

How do I transfer system to other players in a multiplayer game? I don’t seem to have the option at all and we’re in a federation.

You can only transfer systems that border the person you're giving it to

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So I am sitting at 2373 and can research Synthetics. I have 3 planets of about size 20ish fully loaded with Droids for mining, and a combined fleet power of about 22k, which is only half of my capacity. Is it worth going for Synthetics, or will I almost certainly regret it?

Edit: I am a fanatic materialist / egalitarian

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

So I am sitting at 2373 and can research Synthetics. I have 3 planets of about size 20ish fully loaded with Droids for mining, and a combined fleet power of about 22k, which is only half of my capacity. Is it worth going for Synthetics, or will I almost certainly regret it?

Edit: I am a fanatic materialist / egalitarian

Do it.

Nothing bad can happen, they are your trustworthy machines that have served you for centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Do it.

Nothing bad can happen, they are your trustworthy machines that have served you for centuries.

I'm aware of the Contingency and AI Rebellions, I just don't get if they WILL happen, CAN happen, or PROBABLY will happen, and whether or not I can handle it if it does. You response leads me to believe "don't do it" is actually the right answer.