Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Tsipras is just mad because he heard the Tories get way more money from Putin than he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Tsipras is just mad because he heard the Tories get way more money from Putin than he does.

:five:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

lol

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

... but if anything Belgium is arguably one of the countries in Europe to actually see any real armed conflict.

Besides me getting your point and more or less agreeing with it, I still think there is a certain irony in the above username+post combo.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

If the Germans invade again, we'll beat them like we beat them last time: by collaborating heavily and basically waiting a couple of years until things blow over.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I know ill snitch on all ya all when the revolution/nazis/lizard people/robot uprising comes.

Meanwhile, the french did a thing

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/...90%7Ctwterm%5E3

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
*dons balaclava and free wood offcut from the hardware store junk bin*

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Good. Build those barricades and take to the streets unlike the rest of us cowards that aren't actually brave enough to do so.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Why is it something to be lauded when the minority takes the street with the attempt to undo what the majority voted for?

It’s not like Macron or his party were secretive about their policy preferences.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ardennes posted:

That or wait until they elect some populist party because the population lost any hope of anything changing. The Russians just have to wait and they will probably get most of what they want either way since mainstream political parties in Europe seem to be prefer to go extict than change.

Anyway for Belgium, it is an honest question how much of their GDP they need to blow on essentially "air cops" when they are in the heart of Europe and are buttressed on all sides by NATO countries. If Belgium had an active warzone like Donbass, it would be something else but if anything Belgium is arguably one of the countries in Europe to actually see any real armed conflict.

The MH17 wasn't a peacetime interception that went wrong, but a missile crew that shot down a civilian jet in a war zone where similar Ukrainian military cargo aircraft were being shot down. It is an argument for better-trained AA crews not necessarily F-35s. (I believe the Russian battalion was pretty green.)

I think it would be pretty lovely of Belgium to offload their security responsibilities to the periphery countries without any recompense. Free riding like that breeds resentment which does not lead down good paths.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Why is it something to be lauded when the minority takes the street with the attempt to undo what the majority voted for?

It’s not like Macron or his party were secretive about their policy preferences.

Because we are your enemy.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
AHAHAHAHAHA

:rip: the Italian right-wing coalition

Right now we (our elected MPs, rather) are voting for the presidents of the Chamber of Deputies and the Senate of the Republic. For the Senate, the right-wing coalition proposed Paolo Romani, former minister, elected in Forza Italia, and also convicted felon (for embezzling). M5S said they won't vote for Paolo Romani. As a response, Berlusconi said "no, the right-wing coalition candidate is still Paolo Romani".

Before the second round of voting was due to begin, however, Lega leader Matteo Salvini came down to the press pool and said "Since M5S has said they will never vote for Paolo Romani, to break this stalemate Lega has decided to vote for Anna Maria Bernini" (also elected in Forza Italia, also former minister, not a convicted felon).

According to Silvio Berlusconi "This is a hostile act on Salvini's part, the coalition is over."

loving lol

Now Lega and M5S are going to team up and form a government without FI and the other right-wing parties, watch

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

I think it would be pretty lovely of Belgium to offload their security responsibilities to the periphery countries without any recompense. Free riding like that breeds resentment which does not lead down good paths.

Eh, who gives a poo poo really. With the possible exception of France and Britain all other Western European militaries are essentially for show (and so people can make money off of arms manufacture and deals) and small scale international deployment and incapable of taking any action without the Americans.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Lega and m5s have a solid 50.02 % majority, likely to blow up if someone farts too loud.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 23, 2018

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Ill have you know my country has a massive number of *check notes* 170 soldiers on afghanistan, whose marching up and down the square is the sole reason barbarians are kept at bay.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

suck my woke dick posted:

*dons balaclava and free wood offcut from the hardware store junk bin*

Sadly, someone did that last night. But it was fascists beating the hell out of left-wing students occupying a lecture hall in one university.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Randarkman posted:

Eh, who gives a poo poo really. With the possible exception of France and Britain all other Western European militaries are essentially for show (and so people can make money off of arms manufacture and deals) and small scale international deployment and incapable of taking any action without the Americans.

We should just go create a class-structured EU. Germans can be the leadership caste. The French can be the warrior caste, the Poles the working caste, the Dutch the merchant caste, the greeks the untouchables etc etc.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Mikl posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA

Right now we (our elected MPs, rather) are voting for the presidents of the Chamber of Deputies and the Senate of the Republic. For the Senate, the right-wing coalition proposed Paolo Romani, former minister, elected in Forza Italia, and also convicted felon (for embezzling). M5S said they won't vote for Paolo Romani. As a response, Berlusconi said "no, the right-wing coalition candidate is still Paolo Romani".

Before the second round of voting was due to begin, however, Lega leader Matteo Salvini came down to the press pool and said "Since M5S has said they will never vote for Paolo Romani, to break this stalemate Lega has decided to vote for Anna Maria Bernini" (also elected in Forza Italia, also former minister, not a convicted felon).

According to Silvio Berlusconi "This is a hostile act on Salvini's part, the coalition is over."

loving lol

Now Lega and M5S are going to team up and form a government without FI and the other right-wing parties, watch

what could a m5s and lega government even look like, don't they have severely different opions on stuff?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Namarrgon posted:

We should just go create a class-structured EU. Germans can be the leadership caste. The French can be the warrior caste, the Poles the working caste, the Dutch the merchant caste, the greeks the untouchables etc etc.

Solve the refugee crisis by settling the refugees on the border with Russia as military colonists.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Randarkman posted:

Solve the refugee crisis by settling the refugees on the border with Russia as military colonists.

Are you suggesting these refugees just need some Room to Live?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Ill have you know my country has a massive number of *check notes* 170 soldiers on afghanistan, whose marching up and down the square is the sole reason barbarians are kept at bay.

We first proclaimed that our Einsatz is over, but just immediately joined another operation in the exact same place, with the exact same soldiers, just with a different name. And *checks Wikipedia* apparently we raised our strength back up from 850 to 980 in 2018, with plans to go as far up as about 1900 if the Bundestag agrees.

Also, with max. 500 soldiers the UK has been providing 3 out of 5 deputy commanders for Operation Resolute Support, and with less than 1000, Germany has provided 3 out of 4 chiefs of staff. Showing a bit of bias there, America. :lol:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Yes, I even bet there's a fun German compound word to describe this one.

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Hey! I have a first hand account that proves that there is alot more to small countries' contribution in Afghanistan than marching up and down the square. I have evidence that whackin' it in the watchtower and controlling the stray dog problem also are essential services provided by the international contingent in Afghanistan.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 23, 2018

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Orange Devil posted:

I think the idea was more along the line of Transdnieprian Syrians.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Sad about what happened in Trebes in France, I suppose it's been a while since the last terror attack.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

what could a m5s and lega government even look like, don't they have severely different opions on stuff?

They would be just swell because m5s is either fully devoid of ideas of its own or incredibly eager to embrace its right-wing inclinations to the fullest.

Half-jokes aside, they do have points of agreement, and they will likely look to strike a deal that cements their dominant position in Italian politics at the expense of all other parties. Some speculate just a brief coalition to draft a new electoral law, likely with strongly majoritarian tendencies, and then dissolving parliament by year's end, meanwhile duking it out on the battlefield of permanent electoral campaign. Berlusconi is a walking corpse and the PD is in disarray. Whether the Italian left is able to regroup around a solid programme and electoral base, or proves as powerfully immune to lesson-learning as other social democratic parties in the rest of the west or America is anyone's guess.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Uhm, I think you will find our Navy is perfectly capable of sending out one of its half billion euro frigates at a time to water cannon pirates in speedboats :colbert:

Kassad posted:

Sadly, someone did that last night. But it was fascists beating the hell out of left-wing students occupying a lecture hall in one university.

oh i know, that’s why i posted it

ps this wouldn’t have happened if the leftists had had guns :hurr:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mikl posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA

should've called it goddamn

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

chaos continues to reign etc

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mikl posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA

Is there a good reason for FI not to support the other proposed candidate (AM Bernini) from their own party?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

steinrokkan posted:

Is there a good reason for FI not to support the other proposed candidate (AM Bernini) from their own party?

Silvio being a huge baby and stamping his feet going "You do as I say! I'm still politically relevant!"

So no.

By the way, the Chamber and Senate presidents were elected.

Chamber: Roberto Fico, M5S. Born 1974, graduate in Communication Science, second time elected in parliament, during the last government he was president of the Vigilance Commission on RAI (Italian state TV). He's the leader of the "orthodox" (most left-wing) faction inside M5S. Socially liberal, in favour of same-sex marriage and adoption by same-sex couples, and in favour of end-of-life provisions for terminally ill people.

Senate: Maria Elisabetta Alberti Castellati, FI. Born 1946, she has a degree in law with specialization in Canon Law. First elected in parliament in 1994, she's super close to Silvio. Undersecretary to Health under Silvio's governments from 2004 to 2006, notably had the Ministry of Health hire her daughter as head secretary (no conflict of interest there, not at all). She's one of the people responsible for the many laws Silvio's government passed to solve his legal problems. Against same-sex marriage, against adoption by same-sex couples, she famously said "Diversity must be preserved but it cannot become identity".

loving hell, this will be fun.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA

loving lol

I thought 5SM policy was specifically never to form a coalition??

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mikl posted:

Roberto Fico

Things were looking grim for Robert Fico when he resigned as Slovakian PM two days ago, but now look at him go! Congrats!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
incidentally gently caress the EU for not coming out against spain (again) over this beating people / jailing opposition politicians thing.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

jBrereton posted:

incidentally gently caress the EU for not coming out against spain (again) over this beating people / jailing opposition politicians thing.

Well, gently caress the spanish goverment,police,courts,politicians and civilian society even harder.the eu is maybe on the top 10 list to get hosed.as any case of police brutality and political repression ever beem brought to the ECHR?

persopolis
Mar 9, 2017

R. Mute posted:

If the Germans invade again, we'll beat them like we beat them last time: by collaborating heavily and basically waiting a couple of years until things blow over.

It's actually always been my understanding that the resistance in Belgium was one of the most active and effective ones in occupied Europe, especially regarding stuff like protecting the Jewish population and setting up escape routes for spies and downed pilots. I got most of that from "Het Belgisch labyrint" by Geert Van Istendael, I don't know exactly how reliable his sources are, but I did see it mostly confirmed in musea like the Dossinkazerne.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

steinrokkan posted:

Things were looking grim for Robert Fico when he resigned as Slovakian PM two days ago, but now look at him go! Congrats!

Well, I guess some gratefulness from his former italian employers could be expected, after all, that connection was what got him ousted. That and being an arrogant western slovak rear end in a top hat.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

persopolis posted:

It's actually always been my understanding that the resistance in Belgium was one of the most active and effective ones in occupied Europe, especially regarding stuff like protecting the Jewish population and setting up escape routes for spies and downed pilots. I got most of that from "Het Belgisch labyrint" by Geert Van Istendael, I don't know exactly how reliable his sources are, but I did see it mostly confirmed in musea like the Dossinkazerne.
I exaggerated for comedic purposes. The Belgian resistance was very active, yes. Especially once the communists got involved in '41 - they united a bunch of already active resistance groups into the Onafhankelijkheidsfront/Front de l'Indépendance and really got things going.

But at the same time, collaboration was also rife in Belgian society. You had the Flemish movement in Flanders with the VNV and Verdinaso, the straight fascists of DeVlag, Rex in Wallonia. The Catholic church and their political arm the Katholieke Blok was also heavily implied, with a bunch of village priests actively recruiting for the Flemish Legion. A lot of government agencies also got in on the action - most notably the police in cities like Antwerp. The capitalist class was also more than willing to work with their occupiers, fearing a repeat of the deindustrialisation of Belgium during the WOI and also because capitalists suck.

Hell, even Leopold III got in on the action.

And that's not even mentioning small scale collaboration, like Irma Laplasse.

So yeah, definitely a mixed bag. The public knowledge of this history is also heavily influenced by past and present political considerations. So yeah.

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 24, 2018

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/DLF/status/977860710725308417

Love that Germany is now officially involved in the defense of the Spanish Nation.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

https://twitter.com/DLF/status/977860710725308417

Love that Germany is now officially involved in the defense of the Spanish Nation.

Deutschland wird in den Pyrenäen verteidigt Spanien wird in der Schleswigschen Geest verteidigt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Grenztrottel don't understand they could just have had a Karl VIII of Germany and Spain, sad!