Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

electralizer

"I'm going to be doing some electralizering".

Also, the hamemr header is a pretty useful thing. I can solder, but I really dislike doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Electrologist

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Electioneer

Is IFTTT still one of the better ways to IoTify a pi? I'm using a Dropbox integration to allow remote commands without shell, but figured there are smarter wait to go about it.

Also, are there any suggestions on remote controls for an raspbmc setup? I don't want guests to have to set up their phones just to use the tv features.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 24, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Electrolyte, that's my final offer.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

xzzy posted:

I just use that for brevity, gently caress if I'm gonna type out "electrical engineer" every time it comes up.
"EE" works :shrug:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
ok fine i'll just buy a drat soldering iron you are all monsters for encouraging this

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hello, Weller soldering iron company? I'd like my commission please :twisted:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ive used a soldering iron before but that was back in high school which was...a while ago so i'm out of practice.
The context for that soldering iron use was a class project where I soldered a mod chip into my xbox and installed a new hard drive to set up xbmc and install emulators and pirated games. I got an A in that class basically for stealing NBA Street Vol. 2 which our teacher let us play on the projector for the last few weeks of school.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ive used a soldering iron before but that was back in high school which was...a while ago so i'm out of practice.
The context for that soldering iron use was a class project where I soldered a mod chip into my xbox and installed a new hard drive to set up xbmc and install emulators and pirated games. I got an A in that class basically for stealing NBA Street Vol. 2 which our teacher let us play on the projector for the last few weeks of school.

What did the modchip do? I made a whole business of unlocking og xboxes, you could do all that stuff with just softmods

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

ok fine i'll just buy a drat soldering iron you are all monsters for encouraging this

I have a Hakko 936 (discontinued, recent equivalent is the FX-888) and a TS100 and they are both fantastic irons. Those are both about $100 (when you include the cost of a good power supply and stand for the TS100) but they're worth it. I use the 936 on my workbench and I made a clip for the TS100 that lets it plug into a Makita battery for portable use. You can also get cheaper models; as long as they have a temperature control and replaceable tips you'll be set for a long time.

This is a good cheaper one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/180

People also seem to like the Chinese knockoff AOYUE stations that are copies of the Hakkos, but I do believe that if it's something you foresee yourself using regularly, it's better to buy a quality tool once than a crappier version three or four times in a row.

Don't get a Radio Shack or equivalent uncontrolled woodburner. They take forever to heat up and then they get way too hot and doing anything delicate with them is just an exercise in frustration.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

The TS100 is a very capable iron and I'm quite impressed at the compactness of it all, with the caveat being that it needs an external battery or power supply.

One of my favorite things about it is that the firmware is reflashable with alternative open source firmwares (not sure if the stock firmware itself is open). I just like supporting product design that is hacker friendly enough to make reprogramming with custom firmware possible, which is rare for a lot of modern electronics aside from networking routers and android devices.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’ve had poor experiences with hammer headers. Dunno if that’s just me being stupid or what

Which sucks because I’d really prefer hammer headers forever over doing another round of super finicky and monotonous GPIO soldering

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, the TS100 stock firmware is very...discount-Chinese-product. I would recommend reflashing it with the one on GitHub as soon as it arrives. The process is really easy (basically just plug it into your computer and drag the .hex file onto the "USB drive" that pops up).

Oh, and remember when soldering: the factor controlling the detail you can achieve is usually the size of your solder, not the size of the iron tip. The stock tips will work well for very fine-pitch work as long as you get the really thin solder.

Sockser posted:

Which sucks because I’d really prefer hammer headers forever over doing another round of super finicky and monotonous GPIO soldering

it takes like 60 seconds dude

put the header strip in, tack the corners, flip it over, zip zip zip zip down one line, repeat for the other.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Not if your soldering iron is cheap and sucks rear end :negative: i have to hold the tip in place for like 10-15 seconds before the solder melts. And I don't think it's just me, as I've had better luck with the good iron in my lab.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

420 SWAGLORD posted:

What did the modchip do? I made a whole business of unlocking og xboxes, you could do all that stuff with just softmods
First and second generation modchips for the OG Xbox are just replacement firmware chips. The header you connect them to is just a debug header that happens to be on the same bus as the actual firmware chip and the extra couple of wires are used to ground a line on the onboard one to disable it when the chip is switched on.

The early softmods had a lot of ways things could go wrong and render your box unbootable, though if you back up your EEPROM when you first mod it you can basically recover from anything. The clock was a big issue for font hacks early on, if the RTC capacitor ran out your box would bootloop with a font-based softmod installed. Also you couldn't really turn them off without uninstalling the hack entirely, so Xbox Live was a no go where a chipped box could just flip a switch and reboot.

A third-gen chip (Xecuter3, Xenium Ice, and I think one other) had it's own boot environment entirely in ROM and can boot even without a working hard drive installed. Those are wonderful for troubleshooting, as long as the motherboard itself is good you can generally get a box working again with one of those. I fixed a lot of people's hosed up softmods in college with my X3 on a solderless header.

These days with XBL 1.0 being gone for good I see no reason to use a basic first or second gen modchip. I'd still choose a TSOP flash (reflashing the onboard BIOS chip) over a softmod if I was modding an early enough box to do that (v1.0-1.2 IIRC) but softmods are pretty safe now and again with an EEPROM backup it's easy to fix if something goes wrong.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

alnilam posted:

Not if your soldering iron is cheap and sucks rear end :negative: i have to hold the tip in place for like 10-15 seconds before the solder melts. And I don't think it's just me, as I've had better luck with the good iron in my lab.
Do you clean and wet the tip? I little bit of already liquid solder on the tip really helps provide a good heat conduction surface area as oppososed to what would otherwide be a single miniscule point of contact.

Its also possible that the tip needs replacing if solder does not wet it easily.

And if its not temperature regulated throw it in the trash and stop torturing yourself.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sockser posted:

I’ve had poor experiences with hammer headers. Dunno if that’s just me being stupid or what

Dude I soldered like 3 times in HS and then did the GPIO header with no practice in 10mn 15 years later. You can do it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

420 SWAGLORD posted:

at the time softmodding was more of a crapshoot, the chip i bought (this was over a decade ago so some of the details are foggy) let me install a couple different firmwares and i could turn it off and have it boot like normal IIRC.
e: and also this was a "class project" so i needed something to do.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Everybody in here who is saying soldering is hard, watch a bunch of Youtube videos. If you're doing it right, and your equipment is not trash, it is super easy and fun and rewarding.

Those weird hammer in headers probably give lovely results, and will probably have bad intermittent contact sometime and ruin your week.

Those recommendations of the TS100, Wellers, Hakkos, or similar clones are all good suggestions, depending on your

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I've watched this old school soldering series in the past and found it pretty interesting and informative, although a few of the sections cover terminal types that are basically obsolete, still helpful to see how the various shapes take solder etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIT4ra6Mo0s

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I still remember when my teacher was like 'that is a real cool project good job on the soldering wait what you can play every game on that thing?' and then we progressed from playing Super Mario to arcade fighting games to just full-out stolen xbox games during class.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

evil_bunnY posted:

Dude I soldered like 3 times in HS and then did the GPIO header with no practice in 10mn 15 years later. You can do it.

Oh, I’ve done it. Like three Zeros plus a pile of arduinos. I just loving hate it. Might be lovely soldering iron, I dunno.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I can solder the headers on a zero in less than 5 minutes.

Still don't like it and would rather use the hammer headers. They work great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buy a full size pi then. :v:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Buy pace stuff its built like a tank and is insanely good and the tips are cheap

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Also sweating pipes is basically a useful skill though you need different Solder and Flux

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Malcolm XML posted:

Also sweating pipes is basically a useful skill though you need different Solder and Flux

Definitely. My dad showed me how to sweat-solder copper pipe when I was like 12 and it’s saved my rear end more than once.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sweating pipes is a useful skill to have, but there is a hammer header equivalent for pipes: sharkbite fittings...and they're way more effective for pipes than hammer headers are for raspberry pis!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You would think there would be more 720p screens for the rpi but it seems like most of them are 480p unfortunately

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

Sweating pipes is a useful skill to have, but there is a hammer header equivalent for pipes: sharkbite fittings...and they're way more effective for pipes than hammer headers are for raspberry pis!

They're a lifesaver if you can't turn off the water, too. SharkBite valve, then you have a chance to sweat the rest of the pipework correctly. I know a few commercial guys who have used them in under floor emergencies, and the fittings are immediately buried in concrete.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic
Sharkbite/pex are better than soldered copper in every way except cost, but most especially in convenience and ease of installation

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I put a modchip in my Wii (this was early before you could soft mod) as well as wired a mame cabinet (using an old arcade cabinet, even wired up the coinslot) with a cheap $20 radio shack soldering iron. This was before YouTube was a big thing so I had no idea what I was doing but it all worked out.

Hardest part was dealing with such small connections and not getting wires crossed.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Before I send it back I wanted to check here troubleshooting steps.

I just got a 3B+, the first Pi I've had since the original B model but I can't get it going. I've tried every combo of the following hardware:

* 1 2.5A power supply from Newark: http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/st...9&storeId=10194

* 1 32GB SD card and 1 8GB SD card.

* 1 Raspberry PI 3B+

* 1 Raspberry PI B (original)

* 1 HDMI connection to a 4k Monitor

* 1 set of USB Keyboard and Mouse

I've installed the OS with Etcher, SD Card Formatter 4 and dd on the mac. All without luck. The old Raspeberry PI works, the new one has only a red power light, no activity lights, no output to the HDMI screen and all around responsive. I also tried both SD cards with no luck.

Anything else I can try/troubleshoot?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Try a different USB cable? Specifically the known-good one you've used to charge your phone by your bed every night. Otherwise it's likely dead. If you're especially brave you can strip the usb cable and apply 5v directly to the 40 GPIO to bypass the micro usb port. But I wouldn't do that if you're new to this.

SandBox
Feb 16, 2004

Too right it does, it hates being in the cage
Pillbug
I found that my PI 3B+ would not boot if I dragged+dropped the system files onto the SD card.
Had success with Win32DiskImager utility and the 4.9GB image file of raspbian as found on the website

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Get the best SD card you have too and try that. One with a name brand you recognize--not something that just says 8GB CARD.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
What's the best thing to do when packages won't update?

code:
dietpi@DietPi:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up mono-roslyn (5.10.1.4-0xamarin1+raspbian9b1) ...

It has been sat like that for about the last 30 minutes. I've tried this a couple of times and it does the same thing each time. If I ctrl-c out of it, then the following happens..

code:
dietpi@DietPi:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
^Cdpkg: error processing package mono-roslyn (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script was interrupted
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mono-devel:
 mono-devel depends on mono-roslyn (= 5.10.1.4-0xamarin1+raspbian9b1); however:
  Package mono-roslyn is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package mono-devel (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 mono-roslyn
 mono-devel

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Any clever ways to make a headless ZeroW easy to use on lots of new wifi networks?

I’m assuming ssh-over-USB to edit wpa_supplicant is going to be the easiest, but any options I’m missing?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

eddiewalker posted:

Any clever ways to make a headless ZeroW easy to use on lots of new wifi networks?

I’m assuming ssh-over-USB to edit wpa_supplicant is going to be the easiest, but any options I’m missing?

You can also put the microSD card in your laptop and edit the file on the FAT32 /boot partition--all operating systems should be able to mount and read it. IIRC raspbian looks for the wpa_supplicant.conf there too on boot. Or another options is carry a little travel router like this https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Travel-Extender-TL-WR802N/dp/B00TQEX8BO and have the Pi setup to always connect to its AP. Many of them support a bridge mode where you can connect them to a wireless WAN (like a public wifi network) and then tunnel it to a private wifi AP they broadcast too. Also handy to plug in to a wired ethernet WAN if available too.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Sad Panda posted:

What's the best thing to do when packages won't update?

code:
dietpi@DietPi:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

It has been sat like that for about the last 30 minutes. I've tried this a couple of times and it does the same thing each time. If I ctrl-c out of it, then the following happens..

code:
dietpi@DietPi:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
^Cdpkg: error processing package mono-roslyn (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script was interrupted
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mono-devel:
 mono-devel depends on mono-roslyn (= 5.10.1.4-0xamarin1+raspbian9b1); however:
  Package mono-roslyn is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package mono-devel (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 mono-roslyn
 mono-devel

2 hours later it finally timed out.

code:
Setting up mono-devel (5.10.1.4-0xamarin1+raspbian9b1) ...
W: Could not open file /var/log/apt/eipp.log.xz - open (12: Cannot allocate memory)
W: Could not open file '/var/log/apt/eipp.log.xz' - EIPP::OrderInstall (12: Cannot allocate memory)
W: APT had planned for dpkg to do more than it reported back (3 vs 7).
   Affected packages: mono-roslyn:armhf