Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Unamerican small car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i dunno about that i had some souped up charger dude like do the race engine a bunch of times at a red light and then launch it at the green to the fiesta, flipping me off the whole time and im just like yeah whatever dude yer fast got it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
dats people in power cars at trackdays getting passed by spec miatas

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

i dunno about that i had some souped up charger dude like do the race engine a bunch of times at a red light and then launch it at the green to the fiesta, flipping me off the whole time and im just like yeah whatever dude yer fast got it.

They seem to get doubly agitated when you refuse to race them. I sometimes wonder if it's not some law enforcement bait thing; the Miami police had a couple of riced out seized Civics years ago they'd roll around in and write tickets. But I know that's not likely and it's almost certainly just some twit.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

WescottF1 posted:

Last Thursday I was heading out of town in the GTI to see a band and wanted to stop at the ATM to pick up some beer money. There was this assweasel in a Challenger in front of me. He kept slowing way down and then stomping on it to fly up to the rear end of the car that was several car lengths ahead. Did this about 5 times and there was no way I wanted to be in front of him so I hung back...

...then when I turned into the turn lane in front of the bank I got alongside him and he flipped me off. :wtc:

I remember driving through southern Illinois one time in a GTI and getting stuck behind a guy in a Challenger going 10 mph below the speed limit on some two lane backroad. When it looked ok to pass, I pulled out in to oncoming traffic and accelerated, only to find that the rear end in a top hat started accelerating so I couldn't pass him before oncoming traffic. Got the finger when I passed him later. :psyduck:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Residency Evil posted:

I remember driving through southern Illinois one time in a GTI and getting stuck behind a guy in a Challenger going 10 mph below the speed limit on some two lane backroad. When it looked ok to pass, I pulled out in to oncoming traffic and accelerated, only to find that the rear end in a top hat started accelerating so I couldn't pass him before oncoming traffic. Got the finger when I passed him later. :psyduck:

This has happened to every single one of us. There's always some rear end in a top hat who sees a passing car and says gently caress THAT I HAVE TO WIN THIS RACE.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Well there's the problem. I just assume anybody driving a Charger/Challenger/Ram is a complete loving moron, and anecdotally, most times I'm not wrong.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

a mysterious cloak posted:

Well there's the problem. I just assume anybody driving a Charger/Challenger/Ram is a complete loving moron, and anecdotally, most times I'm not wrong.

Parts going in hopefully before friday for weekend test n tune...

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Christobevii3 posted:

Parts going in hopefully before friday for weekend test n tune...

Are those DCTs on the shelf below? Guessing so due to the two shafts but I’ve never actually seen one.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Nissan 240sx engines probably

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

This has happened to every single one of us. There's always some rear end in a top hat who sees a passing car and says gently caress THAT I HAVE TO WIN THIS RACE.

This happened to me when I was stuck behind a douchebro in his lifted truck rolling coal in my face. I passed him, but it took me getting up to ~110.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Has anyone installed auto headlights on their VW? My 2017 GTI Sport didn't come with them, but I previously drove an E-Golf (which was fully teched out) and I got SUPER used to never messing with the headlights. That has lead to a couple of situations where I've left the house at night and didn't immediately turn on my headlights. I always figure it out pretty quickly of course, but still, not good.

My concern is that the solutions I've seen are a bit low-tech (basically just a light sensor with no delay or smart logic) so going under a bridge or something would probably cause the headlights to flick on for a second. That's not ideal, but if anyone has experience with a setup like this I would love to hear about it. It's really cheap to buy the required parts and install it, so if it's mostly a good experience I'll probably do it.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 24, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Fiesta ST rear brakes are loving garbage. After hearing significant pad drag sounds over the last week and seeing patchy wear on the rear rotors, I took a look.

Car is less than 2 years old, pins are seized almost entirely. Not a hint of grease left in this side. Replaced the rotors, pads were in good shape so hopefully this will be the end of my shhk shhhk shhk sounds...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Taima posted:

Has anyone installed auto headlights on their VW? My 2017 GTI Sport didn't come with them, but I previously drove an E-Golf (which was fully teched out) and I got SUPER used to never messing with the headlights. That has lead to a couple of situations where I've left the house at night and didn't immediately turn on my headlights. I always figure it out pretty quickly of course, but still, not good.

My concern is that the solutions I've seen are a bit low-tech (basically just a light sensor with no delay or smart logic) so going under a bridge or something would probably cause the headlights to flick on for a second. That's not ideal, but if anyone has experience with a setup like this I would love to hear about it. It's really cheap to buy the required parts and install it, so if it's mostly a good experience I'll probably do it.

I have a 17 sport and never turn on the headlights. Pretty sure you should have it. Otherwise I just leave them on all the time and they auto shut off.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

PaintVagrant posted:

Fiesta ST rear brakes are loving garbage. After hearing significant pad drag sounds over the last week and seeing patchy wear on the rear rotors, I took a look.

Car is less than 2 years old, pins are seized almost entirely. Not a hint of grease left in this side. Replaced the rotors, pads were in good shape so hopefully this will be the end of my shhk shhhk shhk sounds...

Holy crap, my former car's brakes weren't even that bad after 160k of minimal maintenance.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah the design of the caliper and pin seal is poor.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

PaintVagrant posted:

I noticed the same thing on mine last summer, the driver's side was way worse than the passenger side. I'm planning on pulling and regreasing as necessary as post winter maintenance from now on.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PaintVagrant posted:

I did mine a few weeks before putting my winter tires on last year, a bit after two years with the car, and they were nowhere close to this bad. I'm in NE Ohio so road salt is a way of life here, not sure how I escaped this.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Ive never seen a slide pin look like that. How does that happen outside of salt water boat launches?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I drove my friend's Mazda2 today and man, gently caress Mazda for not making a hot version of that.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I drove my friend's Mazda2 today and man, gently caress Mazda for not making a hot version of that.

A hot version of that would be the Fiesta ST. Its the same chassis (B3), the suspension and a bunch of other parts are swappable.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Taima posted:

FWIW my '16 GTI with auto from the factory goes on under overpasses/bridges if it's like a 6-lane highway or a wide enough bridge.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaintVagrant posted:

A hot version of that would be the Fiesta ST. Its the same chassis (B3), the suspension and a bunch of other parts are swappable.

Look, just let me be pissy that Mazda got out of the fun variant model game.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

FWIW my '16 GTI with auto from the factory goes on under overpasses/bridges if it's like a 6-lane highway or a wide enough bridge.

I was behind a VW SUV of some variety the other day and noticed the same thing as it went under a bridge. Seems silly, all the auto lights I've ever had have been on a delay.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Maybe their slide pins wouldnt come with half a pound of rust powder

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

opengl128 posted:

I was behind a VW SUV of some variety the other day and noticed the same thing as it went under a bridge. Seems silly, all the auto lights I've ever had have been on a delay.
Yeah, I agree, and I see it on other cars from time to time. Mostly newer "upmarket" or luxury brands.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaintVagrant posted:

Maybe their slide pins wouldnt come with half a pound of rust powder

Maybe!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'd rather lights come on too soon/often than having a bunch of cars driving around like ghosts in low-light conditions or in heavy rain/snow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I know, right? Even with thirty hamster power it's a shitload of fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I know, right? Even with thirty hamster power it's a shitload of fun.

It was an automatic and still felt great to drive.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It was an automatic and still felt great to drive.

That chassis really feels peppy, whether it's a Ford or a Mazda. I really wish they hadn't discontinued the Fiesta ST, though I'm sure I can console myself with the Civic Type R.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still on board the FiST train, just want to be working steady before I buy one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PaintVagrant posted:

Only the old models, the Mazda was refreshed years ago and the Ford more recently (Ford likes to sell cars way past their use by date)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

dissss posted:

Only the old models, the Mazda was refreshed years ago and the Ford more recently (Ford likes to sell cars way past their use by date)

Hrm, looks like the Mazda2 used their DE platform ( ford b) til 2014.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Larrymer posted:

I have a 17 sport and never turn on the headlights. Pretty sure you should have it. Otherwise I just leave them on all the time and they auto shut off.

They do shut off when you turn off the car, yes, but that's different than what VW offers on the comfort-oriented SE/Autobahn trims, which is that the headlights turn on and off while driving depending on light conditions.

It sounds like you just leave the headlights on 100% of the time, which I guess is fine. I never even considered that an option but if the energy consumption is low enough that's probably ok.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Oh ok. That's interesting because my E-Golf was never quite that sensitive (the egolfs are made in germany though so they have numerous Euro things that you don't otherwise get in America, maybe that's the difference).

In any case that makes me feel a bit better about it, if that's just the standard operation on the GTI.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 25, 2018

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I'm just happy they're still making the MX-5 and that the latest iteration is Still Good.

But yeah there's a MAZDASPEED(WHATEVER)-shaped hole in my heart

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Taima posted:

Oh ok. That's interesting because my E-Golf was never quite that sensitive (the egolfs are made in germany though so they have numerous Euro things that you don't otherwise get in America, maybe that's the difference).

My Mk 7 R turns them on going under wide bridges like motorways but that’s about it for false positives. One evening driving in the countryside around dusk they kept toggling on and off as trees came and went over the road, so I switched them on properly as it was annoying having Maps in CarPlay going light/dark/light/… in the corner of my eye.

You can change how sensitive they are in the car settings somewhere; I turned it down to low not long after getting the car and that seems about right. I’d rather they were on unnecessarily than off too much.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

On my Veloster I actually really like how it handles auto lights. You have the first transition which just activates the exterior lights, there's typically a delay and the only false positives I've gotten is in tunnels. Then when the ambient light drops even more there's the second transition which dims the instrument cluster and the gps goes into night mode. It seems like it prevents the interior going disco on you and still reacts quickly for exterior lighting.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bajaha posted:

On my Veloster I actually really like how it handles auto lights. You have the first transition which just activates the exterior lights, there's typically a delay and the only false positives I've gotten is in tunnels.

That's not a false positive, your lights should be on in tunnels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

PT6A posted:

That's not a false positive, your lights should be on in tunnels.

I'm from the flat prairies, we don't really do "tunnels" anywhere close to where I am, I'm talking like couple car lengths at best.