Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think a decent chunk of The History of the World Part 1 takes place in Roman times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come in the film the invention of lying everyone says whatever pops into their head. even in a world where you couldn't lie people wouldn't do that. when he visits jennifer garner for their date at the beginning she says something like she just got done masturbating. answer for your crimes, gervais.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

We watched Rome, I Claudius and Cleopatra back to back over several weeks, it was good. I worried I Claudius was going to be too dry (despite leading off with BRIAN BLESSED) but it soon goes as nuts as Rome or its ilk.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come in the film the invention of lying everyone says whatever pops into their head. even in a world where you couldn't lie people wouldn't do that. when he visits jennifer garner for their date at the beginning she says something like she just got done masturbating. answer for your crimes, gervais.

Its an idiotic allegory for religion that falls apart under minimal scrutiny

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

Because it’s not a good movie and Ricky Gervais sucks

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Krankenstyle posted:

Its an idiotic allegory for religion that falls apart under minimal scrutiny

So any religion.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

iajanus posted:

So any religion.

Hey Ricky didn't know you were a goon. You suck

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
How much, on average, does it cost to license music for a movie? I'm guessing the bigger the musician/band, the more it costs, at least generally speaking.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

How much, on average, does it cost to license music for a movie? I'm guessing the bigger the musician/band, the more it costs, at least generally speaking.

It's been rumored it cost Marvel millions to use the 'Immigrant Song' for Thor.

Bonnie Raitt got a million dollars for her song 'Something to Talk About' to be the title of a Julia Roberts movie.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's been rumored it cost Marvel millions to use the 'Immigrant Song' for Thor.

Bonnie Raitt got a million dollars for her song 'Something to Talk About' to be the title of a Julia Roberts movie.

Does a band have any input on what movies can use their music? For instance, could the Red Hot Chili Peppers say that they won't allow any of their music to be used in future Friday the 13th movies and WB Records goes, "lol nah"?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Leavemywife posted:

Does a band have any input on what movies can use their music? For instance, could the Red Hot Chili Peppers say that they won't allow any of their music to be used in future Friday the 13th movies and WB Records goes, "lol nah"?

Generally (not always) the songwriter(s) own the copyright to the song itself and the label/publisher owns the copyright to the recording, I believe both would have to be negotiated to license a song for a movie so I think RHCP could say no and the record label couldn't do anything about it unless they negotiated with the band.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Generally (not always) the songwriter(s) own the copyright to the song itself and the label/publisher owns the copyright to the recording, I believe both would have to be negotiated to license a song for a movie so I think RHCP could say no and the record label couldn't do anything about it unless they negotiated with the band.

Yeah, it really depends. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, for example, were / are famously protective of their work, so all the way back to their first album, From Her to Eternity, they retained the rights to both the songs and the recordings--so no matter what label they went to (first Mute, then Anti, then their own label, now they're back with Mute), they completely controlled everything, and when Mick Harvey did the remastered albums a few years back, they were able to self-publish them without needing to involve Mute. Leonard Cohen, on the other hand, was constantly dicked around by his labels and by the '80s had no control over anything.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 23, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think bands that retain the rights to be really selective are few and far between. You have to be pretty big to get that level of bargaining power in your contracts. So generally, for 95% of bands, the label could override you. Doesn't mean they will. I think if there's a general strong reason for you not wanting it to be in a certain property they would hear you out. Maybe I dunno.

Even lesser known songs from lesser known folks can run you into the tens of thousands to use in a movie.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Somehow this clip cost $50,000 in music licensing, for something that really shouldn't require licensing at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxqycijBUn0

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Matthew Weiner paid $250,000 to use the Beatles’ Tomorrow Never Knows in a Mad Men episode

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

On the other hand, it can be weirdly cheap under strange circumstances. Known sexual harassment freak Louis CK explains licensing basically an entire The Who song for his show:

quote:

AVC: Presumably the rights to that are very expensive.

LCK: Well, everything we’ve done on the show is something that should have been too expensive to do, and we always find a way. And the method we’d hit on was: Identify as early as possible all the things we want, the things that are expensive, and start working on them now. And this was very early in the season that she went and approached whoever owns that song. It’s like Universal, or one of the big ones. MCA or somebody. I don’t know how much you know about music licensing, but you have to get the master rights for the recording. And then you have to get the rights for the song itself, which is the publishing rights. And our network has a very rigid policy about how much rights they demand that we have to our music. We can’t get a partial deal. We have to get a massive license.

So we went to MCA or whoever has it and they said, “Well, we have the master rights and Pete Townshend’s publishing company has the publishing, and it’s a favored-nations deal.” In other words, whatever we negotiated with them, we would then also have to pay Pete and the publishing. So their first offer was, I think, $150,000. [Laughs.] Because it was the whole song! So we’d have to pay $300,000 total. That’s a whole episode for us. That’s the whole budget for the entire episode. But we didn’t give up. That’s the way it worked. And either the company or someone else told Blair, “The other way to work it is to go to Pete Townshend first.” Because it’s the same in the other direction: Whatever deal he makes, they have to honor his deal, too. They have to take whatever offer he gives. They have to match it. But try to go get Pete Townshend on the phone. That’s even harder. So it just took a lot of fuckin’ time. And occasionally, we’d be on the set shooting “Blueberries” or “Moving” or whatever it is, and I say to Blair, “How’s it going with The Who?” and she’d either say, “Dead” or, “I just talked to a guy today” or, “A guy I talked to today is looking into something.” And it went on and on. And finally, she said, “Well, Pete Townshend wants to know exactly how it’s being used, and he wants to see the show. He wants to see some episodes.” So I wrote him a synopsis of how it would be. I described it very carefully, and we sent him the DVD of five episodes from last season. And then, I don’t know, three or four months later, it felt like, he came back to us and said, “Can you send me 7,500 bucks?” [Laughs.] Yeah! And so the whole thing cost $15,000, which is loving nothing!

AVC: Especially considering how prominently it’s featured.

LCK: Oh yeah!

http://www.avclub.com/article/louis-ck-walks-us-through-ilouieis-second-season-p-61969

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wouldn't blame anyone for refusing to watch it based on what we know now, but Louie is a really good show.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah, it really is. Such a shame

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

I wouldn't blame anyone for refusing to watch it based on what we know now, but Louie is a really good show.

Yeah. And so is Louie Anderson, on Baskets, which is produced by Louis C.K.

Basically what I'm saying is god damnit

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

For a question that isn't strictly about movies, but in music videos where the band is performing (like a shot of an 80's hair band rocking out in the spark factory in between shots of chicks dancing), are they actually performing and the music is like, dubbed over them, or are they basically just lip syncing, but for every instrument?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

For a question that isn't strictly about movies, but in music videos where the band is performing (like a shot of an 80's hair band rocking out in the spark factory in between shots of chicks dancing), are they actually performing and the music is like, dubbed over them, or are they basically just lip syncing, but for every instrument?

It varies, but it's mostly the latter. They might be actually performing, but sound isn't being recorded.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

usually the song is being played on set so they can coordinate the lip synching and miming.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Beatles music videos in which Ringo doesn't even pretend to actually hit the drums were always my favourites.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish criterion would put the beastie boys anthology out on blu ray because that had some amazing behind the scenes documentaries o all their videos.

The sad thing is, those videos aren’t as impressive in the modern age. I showed my 22 year old GF Body Movin , Star Guitar by Crystal Method and Drop by the Pharcyde and she was so disinterested and unimpressed and i realized that any idiot can make something like that now a days.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Star Guitar is Chemical Brothers (you mean the Michel Gondry vid where each sound element has a corresponding visual element as seen from the train window, right? Btw its basically an extension of the idea he used for Daft Punk's Around the World).

But maybe don't date so far below your age that you have nothing in common you pervert :colbert:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes chemical brothers my bad lol. But something like that can be done easily now a days, you wouldn’t have to model it out. And there’s soooo many unique and weird and cool music videos now a days that those ones aren’t as special anymore.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

probably! I haven't seen new videos in ages really. I think the most recent one is probably Dan Deacon - As I Was Done Dying

Even back then you could at least partially automate it though – isolate each video element you want to use. Then get the song as a MIDI or whatever & mess around with a perl script to create a file for whatever video editing program you use, then polish it after.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I liked the Busta Rhymes videos, he had great visual flair

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
hype williams was a master of his craft

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

hype williams was a master of his craft

He is a key part of my favorite Kanye West music video.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Did they ever release those Director’s Series DVDs on Blu-ray (the ones where each volume was dedicated to a particular director’s music videos)? I had the Jonze and Gondry ones back in the day, I think there was an Anton Corbijn one too?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No they didn't, otherwise I would've been all over them

It looks like the last thing they did was do 3 pack DVD bundles

edit: Oh, they did a Michel Gondry part 2 but it's $50 used
https://www.amazon.com/Michel-Gondr...0QJTKK9R7P286FS

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

During the "I'll be back" scene in Terminator 2 when the police launch a tear gas attack against Sarah and John (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U39IkVxVOHU&t=385s), would the shared gas mask usage as depicted actually be effective in avoiding exposure to / the effects of tear gas? I feel like the chemical would be clinging to their skin and so when they swap the gas mask back and forth and then start to breathe, they'd be inhaling it that way.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

During the "I'll be back" scene in Terminator 2 when the police launch a tear gas attack against Sarah and John (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U39IkVxVOHU&t=385s), would the shared gas mask usage as depicted actually be effective in avoiding exposure to / the effects of tear gas? I feel like the chemical would be clinging to their skin and so when they swap the gas mask back and forth and then start to breathe, they'd be inhaling it that way.

probably not if they controlled their breathing properly. Their eyes would totally be hosed though due to the exposure.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I recently discovered that my college library has a shockingly huge collection of South Asian movies. I'd like to take advantage of that, but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Laocius posted:

I recently discovered that my college library has a shockingly huge collection of South Asian movies. I'd like to take advantage of that, but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Hopefully they have a copy of Magic Lizard (1985), a CineD favorite.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I haven't seen any of Terrence Malick's output after The Tree of Life - is there an easy explanation as to why the quality seems to have dipped so heavily?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
When you make something that good, there's no way to follow it up. But also, after TOL, it seems he's abandoned the idea of writing scripts.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'd say the problem might be that his themes and settings are maybe too similar in his post-TOL movies.

But I only dislike one Malick, so I don't agree with the complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

But I only dislike one Malick, so I don't agree with the complaint.

Which one, out of interest? I'm curious to check his latest stuff out eventually.