Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Dragon Age 2, with its flaws that you've stated that I don't disagree with is still the best Dragon Age game. The reason both of the #2 games they made were the best of their series is because they didn't overstay their welcome. This is why Inquisition, although better than Andromeda, is bland feeling garbage that only hardcore Dragon Age nerds discuss anymore or ever beat. Bioware should never have tried to go open-world and they should've learned their lesson from Inquisition.

Are you loving high lmao dragon age 2 was iredeemable poo poo. Much like Kai Leng in Mass effect 3, except the entire game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Nobody ever beat Dragon Age 3. Is there a three paragraph write-up somewhere explaining the way it wrapped up and the big outcomes of hte non-trash party members?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dragon age 2 was fine don’t @ me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Only literally crazy people like Dragon Age 2. However, you currently find yourself in a Bioware thread.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

orange juche posted:

Are you loving high lmao dragon age 2 was iredeemable poo poo. Much like Kai Leng in Mass effect 3, except the entire game

I'm not disagreeing. But it passes the low bar of being better than Inquisition and Origin.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Dragon age 2 was fine don’t @ me

Stop this! >:-(

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Nasgate posted:

I'm not disagreeing. But it passes the low bar of being better than Inquisition and Origin.

this is insane and a troll and frankly the mods need to step in before it gets worse

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

the truest fact: if dragon age 2 had a budget and real production time instead of being a victim of EA thinking all its properties could be milked every year like it can with madden, nhl, fifa, nba, etc da2 would have been the best game of 2011 full stop instead of resorting to aggressively recycling maps, cutting central plot elements, using 90s jrpg trigger tiles to spawn enemy waves, etc,etc, etc

instead it'll forever be a super divisive cult classic that still managed to get some people to really like it despite having been otherwise massively disadvantaged at like every level

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
they're still promoting this game on social media, it's kind of adorable

https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/977590886480560129

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

who's the salarian. i don't remember any salarians

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

The pilot of the ship I think

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Ainsley McTree posted:

he's the pilot

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not ringing any bells

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pattonesque posted:

That is the saddest prize.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Do people still play the multiplayer, even?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

hard counter posted:

the truest fact: if dragon age 2 had a budget and real production time instead of being a victim of EA thinking all its properties could be milked every year like it can with madden, nhl, fifa, nba, etc da2 would have been the best game of 2011 full stop instead of resorting to aggressively recycling maps, cutting central plot elements, using 90s jrpg trigger tiles to spawn enemy waves, etc,etc, etc

instead it'll forever be a super divisive cult classic that still managed to get some people to really like it despite having been otherwise massively disadvantaged at like every level

I don't necessarily disagree with the first paragraph but the second paragraph whoooo boy slow your roll amigo

Da2 isn't a cult classic it's extremely bad and people liking it is just proof that given a large enough N all values will exist

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

hard counter posted:

dude

https://i.imgur.com/qW3LByf.mp4

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The fact that these dead gay forums have like 20 regular posters left and 3 of them happen to think Dragon Age 2 wasn't THAT bad no honest guys really does not a "cult classic" make.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah I have no problem saying DA2 had some really good, hell maybe great, ideas, but the whole package was a giant turd

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

a poo poo mountain

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Varrick and Fenris were good tho

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with the first paragraph but the second paragraph whoooo boy slow your roll amigo

Da2 isn't a cult classic it's extremely bad and people liking it is just proof that given a large enough N all values will exist

i would deffo call it a cult classic just because it's formed creative communities around that are loads more active than origins, inquisition or me:a at this point in time - for e.g. people are still modding that fuckin' thing whereas hardly anyone's touched inquisition in like 2 years - but i'm not going to argue the exact meaning of a word here if you want to disagree

what is important tho is it picked up that extra interest by being very different and standing out from the rest, like you can only go to da2 if you want a story where the protagonist is mostly swept up in events instead of being a hurricane of progress in a static, stagnant world for eg, just the same way other niche cult classics earn their extra interest - it's a huge shame da2 blatantly cut corners no AAA developer in the right mind would ever cut just to make EA's bottom line

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Pattonesque posted:

67 people are talking about this

e: as of the time it took to make a post it went up to 71

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

hard counter posted:

i would deffo call it a cult classic just because it's formed creative communities around that are loads more active than origins, inquisition or me:a at this point in time - for e.g. people are still modding that fuckin' thing whereas hardly anyone's touched inquisition in like 2 years - but i'm not going to argue the exact meaning of a word here if you want to disagree

what is important tho is it picked up that extra interest by being very different and standing out from the rest, like you can only go to da2 if you want a story where the protagonist is mostly swept up in events instead of being a hurricane of progress in a static, stagnant world for eg, just the same way other niche cult classics earn their extra interest - it's a huge shame da2 blatantly cut corners no AAA developer in the right mind would ever cut just to make EA's bottom line

Okay but let's use the connotation of cult that's more "crazy weirdos that believe fake poo poo" as opposed to "dedicated fans" and we got a deal, first beers are on me

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
DA2 was a weird one for me. I was hooked when I got it, played for like six or seven hours straight, and then literally never touched it again. As soon as I quit out, any and all interest died. I ended up following the SA thread and learning about the bonkers plot that way.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

hard counter posted:

for e.g. people are still modding that fuckin' thing whereas hardly anyone's touched inquisition in like 2 years

isn't that more a consequence of Frostbite than anything else?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pattonesque posted:

lol, that shitshow killed a studio. also apparently all of bioware is working on anthem now, DA4 has a skeleton crew at best working on it, which will probaly suck rear end either because its broken or because "games as a service"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, DA2 was very mod-friendly (I assume, based on the amount of mods for it) but Inquisition's a real struggle

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Pattonesque posted:

They all look dead inside, just like Bioware

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hard counter posted:

DA2's friendship/rivalry system was also, I think, the best implementation of an approval system throughout the series. Granted it had its issues (like the paragon/renegade system in ME1 and 2 it only rewarded going whole hog on either end of the spectrum), but it was a neat concept and let you have an interesting relationship with a character you didn't like rather than DAO's and DAI's system of the NPC might as well not even be there unless you butter them up a lot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

hard counter posted:

id say its a cult classic, it has a ton of issues but it has enough interesting concepts and mechanics that either work sorta well or are at least interesting. with a better publisher it could be a classic. DA:I is a cult classic too but it got blown out by the witcher 3 and then everyone forgot about it. origins is good but its also aged a ton.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Okay but let's use the connotation of cult that's more "crazy weirdos that believe fake poo poo" as opposed to "dedicated fans" and we got a deal, first beers are on me

yeah alright, i can live with that

i've spent too much time posting about da2 of all things so it's probably a least a little true :niggly:

Rinkles posted:

maybe if i were comparing quality/creativity of mods the steeper entry would be a factor but in da:i's case the modding community was nonetheless getting some work done when the game was fresh and enthusiasm was high but then had a steep drop off in interest as time went on, the game just couldn't keep people caring about it

shouldn't be too hard to believe since we've been talking about how bland it was for the past few pages

e:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

DA:I is a cult classic too but it got blown out by the witcher 3 and then everyone forgot about it. origins is good but its also aged a ton.

to me da:i is like one of those games that was reasonably popular and competently made for the time it was released but has since been so outdone at the things it tried to do, like having an open world rpg and all that, that it feels more obsolete than it should be

like people were talking about how badly it might've been clobbered if it was a late 2015 instead of a late 2014 not long ago

hard counter fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 24, 2018

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

hard counter posted:

I like it but am secure enough in my poo poo to know that the game is real, real bad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The MMO copycat craze had WoW to cause the feeding frenzy and long list of dead studios. What is driving the game as service MBA cargo cult this time?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah I have no problem saying DA2 had some really good, hell maybe great, ideas, but the whole package was a giant turd

Exactly this.

The concept of the game taking place over a long span of time and mostly within one metropolis is a great one. They just did not have the development time or budget to properly realise any real part of it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Pattonesque posted:

"hey guys remember that thing that everyone liked in ME3, but only really worked because it was in the final piece of DLC for a beloved trilogy? well, what if we put that in our horrible spin-off"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
anyway, one of the better ideas DA2 had (the first act is just doing whatever necessary to get money to do [thing]) was stolen entirely from BG2

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Exactly this.

The concept of the game taking place over a long span of time and mostly within one metropolis is a great one. They just did not have the development time or budget to properly realise any real part of it.

This is mostly where I come from. 2 is a great game executed poorly. DA:I is a poo poo game executed professionally. Origins is an okay game executed archaically. Also, since the Dragonlance ripoff blight plot wasn't the main plot in 2, it's automatically better story wise than the other two.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

The MMO copycat craze had WoW to cause the feeding frenzy and long list of dead studios. What is driving the game as service MBA cargo cult this time?

At least for EA it's FIFA Ultimate Team which earns them nearly a billion dollars a year from gambling addicts fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arglebargle III posted:

Lootboxes and match-based games, mainly. They're more ideal than MMO's, because you hook in the players who can "merely" spend half an hour at a time on a game rather than needing to invest a multi-hour session to see any real progress. And get them dropping money on lootboxes for skins/weapons/accessories. It's also more economic, because you make something a shitload simpler than an MMO world for a fraction of the cost and development time while keeping similar profits through lootbox whales. Questions like "How do I keep things stable at 12/16/64 players for twenty minutes?" are also much easier to solve than "how do I keep a server stable with 2,000+ active players in one location at the same time with zero downtime outside of maintenance windows?"

The problem they're all going to run into, however, is there's only so much player attention to go around. It's not an issue with single-player games like Wolfenstein, DooM, Dishonored, or whatever, because they're individually about 10-12 hours long apiece. Finish one, move on, everyone turns a profit. With a "service" game, however, everyone thinks they'll have the next PubG, or DOTA, or Overwatch... but the problem is they have to make players stop playing those games. Even with Anthem trying to be the next Destiny, the main audience for that is going to be Destiny players.