Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Star Citizer: Complaining about bugs is like harassing your unborn son about chores

e: first post on SA, can anyone spot me taxxe until I figure out how to post a second image in a post?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grubby Hobo fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/QnpsdmB.gifv

You are the baby catte.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 25, 2018

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
Here's some Kipling, slightly abridged:

A Citizen's Song

To the Heavens above us
O look and behold
The Roberts that love us
All harnessed in gold!
What chariots, what jpegs
For us shall abide
While the Stars in their courses
Get calculated client-side!

Sandi quakes in her throes
And we wonder why!
But the wooden actress knows
When the editor is nigh;
And, attuned since Creation
To marketing flair
She thrills in her station
(That's him in the wheelchair).

The goons have arisen,
And Skadden's unbound -
Chris is headed to prison,
Hands wavin' around.
No TOS withstands 'em,
Their fury will last,
Till the Smart that commands 'em
Stops blogging at last.

Through mini-games unproven
And bugs beyond thought,
Our delusion is woven,
Our jpegs are bought.
Yet they that prepare it,
Whose Nature we share,
Get doxxed without mercy and
Photoshopped to a bear.

Though griefers o'ertake us
We'll be not afraid.
The slider can't make us
'Cause it hasn't been made.
Nor yet beyond dogfights
Or dreams shall we fall -
You know nothing of space flight,
No, nothing at all!

Then, doubt not, ye faithful -
Chris Roberts is King -
Up, heart, and be cheerful,
And lustily sing: -
What chariots, what jpegs
For us shall abide
While the Stars in their courses
Get calculated client-side!

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Thank you, O wizard of video goodness.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So things Im seeing. Quarterly patches are a marketing ploy that they are already trying to exploit, not that there is a while lot of content in the patch or that the real test is that its sustainable in the long run. FFXIV has had quarterly patches now since its rerelease and theyve had to cut content from them through the years because the staff was burning out and they are still a million times more robust than what CIG is pushing out. Hell, the in between patch they come up with now is more robust than 3.1

Yeah, I hadn't thought about it in that sense but FF14 is a great example; consistent major patches every 3 months or so, a sub-release about halfway between, all while working towards the next expansion pack on a consistent 2 year cycle (and those expansions are effectively full 60 hour RPGs themselves if you just plow through them as fast as possible).

And like you said, to maintain that kind of schedule they have had to scale back the size of the patch releases over time both because of staff workload as well as trying to avoid oversaturation of specific content types too; they literally released 17 full length dungeons alone between 2.1 and the 2.55 release leading up to their first expansion. Hell, they bit off so much more than they could chew with Heavensward that the 3.1 patch came 5 months later instead of 3 so they could recover.

Keeping up a schedule like that is difficult for a well run team with full resources at their disposal, an existing functional framework and consistent sustained monthly revenue; CIG has no hope of accomplishing a fraction of that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

doingitwrong posted:

Here are some of the things I love about the poster.

The number of colours that the text has..

The glorious use of word art distortions and angles and all kinds of things to give it more pep.

The excitingly stretched Star Citizen watermark.

The mysterious light box that covers only the bottom half of the poster and bisects the times while tastefully leaving only a sliver of the sponsor logo exposed.

The military-style 24 hour times.

The fact that this is inaugural.

My personal favorite is "Seminar". Sounds more like an amway or timeshare thing, or lile a cult thing if you wanna go crazy with it.

One things for sure, its not a meet(ing) and greet, nor a workshop, a presentation, a conference, a gathering, a "con", an event, etc.

But at least you know its for GAMERS!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
1999172 registered accounts

500k+ backer accounts

So how's the Alpha 3.2 Features Survey going?

Total votes: 17095

:ohdear:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Am I wrong in reading that Lando is sort of the one guy who really does want to make a game, is earnest about it, but has to deal with the fact it got turned into a scam but is in too deep to get out?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Glassdoor 13th Dec 2017:

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of my colleagues were really the best people in the world, I learned so much from them and it was really pleasure to work at Cloud Imperium Games / Foundry 42 in the beginning, I felt like the luckiest person in the world. I think if the project finally does come to fruition I will be proud to have Cloud Imperium Games / Foundry 42 on my CV and still love explaining the project to friends and strangers in the real world, although I would advise them against backing at this stage.
Show Less

Cons

I don't like being critical about past employers, but after the recent round of layoffs just before 3.0 was released I felt we couldn't provide the service customers and backers of this project expected from us. So many support colleagues from my department were culled that we ended up automating the support system and basically ignoring everyone except urgent legal matters for several weeks / months. That doesn't seem like something a company based on backer trust should be doing, and it's not why I was so desperate to join all those years ago and be part of this amazing project. I couldn't believe in the product anymore and so felt I also had no choice but to leave. The incredible stress without any thanks or extra renumeration that fell on the remaining staff at such a critical time also didn't help me feel welcome. I feel so bad for letting my remaining colleagues down, but I just couldn't handle the workload anymore and keep my sanity.
Show Less

Advice to Management

Hire staff to actually fulfil their contractual obligations or ask to change their contract voluntarily, don't expect customer service representatives to be in-house lawyers or even QA game testers. I had no place being asked to route networking cables like CAT5 and should have been given appropriate training (I still don't know what it is!).
Please please please hire some experienced managers, the nepotism is insane and slowly consuming the project.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grubby Hobo posted:

Star Citizer: Complaining about bugs is like harassing your unborn son about chores

e: first post on SA, can anyone spot me taxxe until I figure out how to post a second image in a post?

Except the baby is 3 years overdue and the mother is screaming at you to feed her more kale and your running out of money giving her more and more luxuries becauae she tells you its to soothe her hormones and help the baby grow.

Then when youre flat broke 4 years later and the mother has turned into a slightly less disfigured shape as Ben Lesnick, you realize shes just a bloated corpse

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

SomethingJones posted:

Glassdoor 13th Dec 2017:

Pros

Some of my colleagues were really the best people in the world, I learned so much from them and it was really pleasure to work at Cloud Imperium Games / Foundry 42 in the beginning, I felt like the luckiest person in the world. I think if the project finally does come to fruition I will be proud to have Cloud Imperium Games / Foundry 42 on my CV and still love explaining the project to friends and strangers in the real world, although I would advise them against backing at this stage.
Show Less

Cons

I don't like being critical about past employers, but after the recent round of layoffs just before 3.0 was released I felt we couldn't provide the service customers and backers of this project expected from us. So many support colleagues from my department were culled that we ended up automating the support system and basically ignoring everyone except urgent legal matters for several weeks / months. That doesn't seem like something a company based on backer trust should be doing, and it's not why I was so desperate to join all those years ago and be part of this amazing project. I couldn't believe in the product anymore and so felt I also had no choice but to leave. The incredible stress without any thanks or extra renumeration that fell on the remaining staff at such a critical time also didn't help me feel welcome. I feel so bad for letting my remaining colleagues down, but I just couldn't handle the workload anymore and keep my sanity.
Show Less

Advice to Management

Hire staff to actually fulfil their contractual obligations or ask to change their contract voluntarily, don't expect customer service representatives to be in-house lawyers or even QA game testers. I had no place being asked to route networking cables like CAT5 and should have been given appropriate training (I still don't know what it is!).
Please please please hire some experienced managers, the nepotism is insane and slowly consuming the project.

Tldr; keep doing what you're doing

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Quavers posted:

1999172 registered accounts

500k+ backer accounts

So how's the Alpha 3.2 Features Survey going?

Total votes: 17095

:ohdear:

Less than 1 percent of registered accounts

Less than 4 percent of backer accounts

What a vibrant, living community!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Here's a couple from mid-2017:

"Toxic Work Place"
Former Employee - Machinist in Playa del Rey, CA (US)
Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
CEO

Pros

You'll get fired if you look at someone the wrong way.

Cons

You'll get fired if you look at someone the wrong way, long hours, and bad lighting. And you get yelled at for things out of your control.

14 Mar 2017 Helpful (8)
"Pretty toxic environment to be honest"
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee
Doesn't Recommend
CEO
I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time

Pros

Cool project. Talented people. Tasty snacks.

Cons

management is scattered and confused.

Advice to Management

put forth realistic goals for your devs. and dont kill them in the process

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

quote:

don't expect customer service representatives to be in-house lawyers

Yet more proof that Skadden is quaking in their boots.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

SomethingJones posted:

"Toxic Work Place"
Former Employee - Machinist in Playa del Rey, CA (US)
Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
CEO

Cons

bad lighting.

That place is lit like an actual prison block.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Then when youre flat broke 4 years later and the mother has turned into a slightly less disfigured shape as Ben Lesnick, you realize shes just a bloated corpse

I've been playing too much bloodborne because this sounds like the intro cutscene to a boss fight

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

Am I wrong in reading that Lando is sort of the one guy who really does want to make a game, is earnest about it, but has to deal with the fact it got turned into a scam but is in too deep to get out?

You're wrong, Lando is a mercenary that will say whatever the gently caress you pay him to say for as long as the money lasts. He doesn't really give a poo poo about the game itself.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

iospace posted:

Lando is the guy that made fan videos, and then they hired him full-time

He also doesn't seem to be able to hold a job for more than a year, so this is probably the closest he's had to a big boy adult job

Makes sense why he has gone in and drank the koolaid and asked for more

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Dysfunctional companies are like dying bodies of water; the scum rises to the top and chokes out the oxygen, killing the healthy plants.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

XK posted:

That place is lit like an actual prison block.

They hired a new lighting guy in Feb, he'll have that sorted in no time.

Oh no wait

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

This man is a loving game development expert, the absolute best course of action is to completely ignore all of the massive red flags and continue on regardless.

Stay the course.

Steady as she goes.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
They fixed 15,000 bugs last year and still released a pile of festering poo poo, no point worrying about bugs now.

Throw yourself another grand in samfreez, in fact make it two, it's early days

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Didn't samfreez used to post here, or am I mixing him up with someone else?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
That guy is compelled by the 2 grand he's already sunk into this scam to defend it every chance he gets. Not doing so would jeopardize his :airquote:investment:airquote:

It's like bitcoiners who try and stop people from selling.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Bootcha posted:

Let's look:

2018 - $5,092,916
2017 - $5,037,306
2016 - $6,809,482
2015 - $8,828,952
2014 - $5,432,305
2013 - $1,248,692

So already they're looking better than last year. They'll probably pass 2014, barring any major fuckups before the month's end. They might come close to 2016 if the sales are a smash hit, and if the 3.1 patch goes ahead as planned. I don't think they'll match or come close to 2015.

Just a reminder:
Something special, non-merch, non-flash, on sale in the first quarter...
2018 - A sale every 0.5111r days and rising
2017 - A sale every 0.4 days
2016 - A sale every 0.23 days (91, leap year)
2015 - A sale every 0.3777r days
Also, related, I saw this comment exchange today on a gaming website which had an article about Star Citizen, not from reddit. The source isn't that relevant:

quote:

Recent article about Star Citizen's 3.1 patch
OP: (reworded) One of the most mismanaged games ever developed in history. Second only to duke nukem forever.

Moderator: Huh? They're actually making really good progress to have gutted and redesigned an engine to accommodate a procedural galaxy with high-fidelity graphics, atmospheric simulation, and scale designed to represent an actual galaxy with help from NASA scientists.

There aren't any other games out there that's doing what they're doing. Within five years they've managed to get a lot done.

Responder #2: Quite the opposite indeed. One of the best managed Kickstarter project started with 12 guys, zero studios, pipelines or game engine improvment wit 6 M$ end of Nov. 2012.
Now +180M and a team close to 500 talented guys.

They did managed to provide now in 2018 the base of a game that no one is able to come close with all those features in one single game. Still in Alpha for at least a good year and half which is perfectly fair looking from where they started from scratch. 6 years at end of 2018. That is better than Publishers with billions of cash and thousands of developers from day one.

On top of that, they are providing 2 triple-A (Squadron 42 _solo and Star Citizen_MMO) for the price of a generic Publishers triple-A.

If you do not understand how works game industry or what is Star Citizen project for which + 600.000 backers have joined so far and still growing, avoid to make comment that are more embarrassing for you than for the project itself :)

It's bizarre to me despite the long development and issues raised over CIG's business practices there still appears to be cultists who don't care about those problems, and are still enamored with Robert's original pitch and are willing to still give him money for an unfinished game.

If CIG is still pulling in $5 million year over year then there's no way to tell when the scheme will end. The die-hards appear to be willing to wait and accept whatever BS reasoning Roberts feeds them for the delays. And it's possible new and naive Citizens will keep getting ensnared into buying Robert's jpgs as long as Roberts doles out incremental patches, whether working or not.

But the Crytek lawsuit is definitely a critical event that could make or break CIG's plans going forward.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

tuo posted:

Didn't samfreez used to post here, or am I mixing him up with someone else?

samfreez is MoMA

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

SomethingJones posted:

Glassdoor 13th Dec 2017:

Pros

Show Less

Cons

Show Less

Advice to Management

:shlick:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So uh, why aren't these nerds playing WoW and RPing in Goldshire or something? Isn't that what they're trying to do?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Meridian posted:

So uh, why aren't these nerds playing WoW and RPing in Goldshire or something? Isn't that what they're trying to do?

If someone needs to volunteer as the barmaid trapped in Goldshire's basement so they can be rescued, Beet volunteers.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

nnnotime posted:

But the Crytek lawsuit is definitely a critical event that could make or break CIG's plans going forward.

I dunno man, according to sensei the Crytek thing is not the jesus lawsuit anymore, wait for the next jesus ELE that we will be talking about for decades.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Daztek posted:

samfreez is MoMA

He's only a quarter of MoMA, going by that piddling 2k pledge.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

SomethingJones posted:

This man is a loving game development expert, the absolute best course of action is to completely ignore all of the massive red flags and continue on regardless.

Stay the course.

Steady as she goes.

"drat, the torpedos!"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

MedicineHut posted:

I dunno man, according to sensei the Crytek thing is not the jesus lawsuit anymore, wait for the next jesus ELE that we will be talking about for decades.

Derek says a lot of things, and refuses to explain any of it. I wouldn't pay it much mind.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lol just met a guy who worked on SC and literally quit because his conscience wouldn't allow him to continue to take a paycheck from marks

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee posted:

lol just met a guy who worked on SC and literally quit because his conscience wouldn't allow him to continue to take a paycheck from marks

are unicorns cool in person

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Alan Smithee posted:

Oh, is that who's in charge of pay roll?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wise Learned Man posted:

are unicorns cool in person

eat my poo poo bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mr.Tophat posted:

Oh, is that who's in charge of pay roll?

you really gonna pedant me in here gently caress off

see you in the trump thread I guess