Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Goddamnit, I need Boxer's Omen on BluRay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

For anybody in the Philadelphia area, there's going to be a special screening this Saturday at the International House of the newly restored 3-hour cut of King Hu's 1979 wuxia epic Legend of the Mountain.

http://ihousephilly.org/calendar/lightbox-film-center-calendar/legend-of-the-mountain

I know I'm getting in on this poo poo

Nroo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 6, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God damnit I have a travel show all day otherwise I would be so on that

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

For anybody in the Philadelphia area, there's going to be a special screening this Saturday at the International House of the newly restored 3-hour cut of King Hu's 1979 wuxia epic Legend of the Mountain.

http://ihousephilly.org/calendar/lightbox-film-center-calendar/legend-of-the-mountain

I know I'm getting in on this poo poo

This sounds wonderful.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Looks like the first Shaw Brothers from AGFA to hit here is going to be Come Drink With Me: https://drafthouse.com/northern-virginia/show/come-drink-with-me

And I might already be busy that day :sigh:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Looks like the first Shaw Brothers from AGFA to hit here is going to be Come Drink With Me: https://drafthouse.com/northern-virginia/show/come-drink-with-me

And I might already be busy that day :sigh:

Gorgeous movie. Definitely see it in theaters if you get the chance.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Did Donnie Yen end up doing more movies with that sweet mma-style mixed in like Flashpoint?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Have you already seen Sha Po Lang/Kill Zone?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Gorgeous movie. Definitely see it in theaters if you get the chance.

I just did! I think it was the new restoration too, I didn't ask but it looked fantastic. I saw 36th Chamber and Five Deadly Venoms, too. Great weekend.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would kill to see come drink with me and five deadly venison in a theatre :(

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Deer, Elk, Caribou, Moose, and Reindeer

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Halloween Jack posted:

Have you already seen Sha Po Lang/Kill Zone?

Yea I think I saw that one around the same time as Flashpoint. I'll rpobably just watch them both again. Oh and maybe check out one i just saw the trailer for, KUNG FU KILLER (!!!)

e] KUNG FU KILLER aka KUNG FU JUNGLE was pretty dope, my one regret is that it wasn't called KUNG FU CRIPPLE

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 25, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh god we switched cable providers and our new package doesn't have El Rey. I'm going to miss the Shaw Brothers marathons =(

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Empress Brosephine posted:

They also played Legendary Weapons of China but I didn’t make it to that one

I should name change myself to five deadly venisons to support lowtax’s robot neck

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The Miracle Fighters loving owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7qRf-aq5ac&t=166s

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Tickets secured for 4K of Buddha's Palm and The 36th Chamber or Shaolin.. :hellyeah:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Cool never heard of this, its apparently related to Taoism Drunkard which also rules

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Cool never heard of this, its apparently related to Taoism Drunkard which also rules

Ooh adding that to the list. Depictions of Taoist magic in films I've seen have been consistently great. Encounters of the Spooky Kind is another standout.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Man, that reminds me that I meant to post this in this thread as well

http://s.aliexpress.com/ZZRbEra2

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Miracle Fighters, Taoism Drunkard, and Shaolin Drunkard are generally considered a trilogy.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

One of my favorites and one that sorely deserves a high definition restoration.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Let's talk about a couple of Yuen Wo Ping movies...one early and one not.

The early one is Miracle Fighters which is loving insane.

The plot involves an evil royal advisor with bat style kung fu

A former kung fu instructor of the royal army who kidnaps a prince and his ward who may be said prince

The evil minister kills our hero's adopted father (the royal kung fu instructor) and he falls in with a brother and sister pair of Taoist sorcerers

The minister ends up catching him and there is a fight with a woman trapped in an urn

and then it gets really weird...

The DVD is cheap and the whole thing is a blast to watch.

:smug:

And that poster is 100% accurate. Everything on it happens in the movie.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

:smug:

And that poster is 100% accurate. Everything on it happens in the movie.

Wait... what happens with Sorcerer Bat and his eye?

And that second picture has nothing to do with the movie at all. I don't recognize it at all from The Miracle Fighters.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Attention anybody in the NYC area, there's a massive Change Cheh retrospective that started today:

https://quadcinema.com/program/vengeance-is-his-chang-chehs-martial-lore/

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Man, no fair. NYC gets all the cool stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

Attention anybody in the NYC area, there's a massive Change Cheh retrospective that started today:

https://quadcinema.com/program/vengeance-is-his-chang-chehs-martial-lore/

Never seen The Water Margin but there's at least 4 of these I'm going to.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Masked Avengers gently caress YES.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Gee, thanks for letting me know, Five Element Ninjas.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samuel Clemens posted:

Gee, thanks for letting me know, Five Element Ninjas.

I am not losing no fight to some ninja out there in no temple.

Period.

That's it.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
are there any good or popular black and white wuxia movies? I think the earliest Wuxia I've actually seen is One Armed Swordsman so I have like no knowledge of anything before that.

edit: actually Come Drink With Me came out in 1966 so that's the earliest one I've seen

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 22, 2018

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I agree, good mix of comedy and action.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Come Drink With Me owns. Cheng Peipei :allears:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a bit disappointing how in both that movie and its sequel, Golden Swallow, the third act becomes about the male lead.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

It's a bit disappointing how in both that movie and its sequel, Golden Swallow, the third act becomes about the male lead.

Yeah, watching Cheng get sidelined in favour of some drunk idiot fighting over a stick sucked, but at least she got to own all those bandits near the end

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Is there a good biography on King Hu? Specifically with a focus on his later career? It seems so weird that Come Drink With Me, Dragon Inn, and A Touch of Zen are the only films of his anyone ever talks about, even though he kept working until the early 90s.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

With Come Drink with Me it's almost certainly a case of Shaw Bros studio interference, with Golden Swallow it's because it's directed by Chang Cheh.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is there a good biography on King Hu? Specifically with a focus on his later career? It seems so weird that Come Drink With Me, Dragon Inn, and A Touch of Zen are the only films of his anyone ever talks about, even though he kept working until the early 90s.

Nothing I can find in English. David Bordwell's Planet Hong Kong goes into his early and mid career a little bit and so does this article. The lack of discussion is all about his films' lack of availability; it's only been in the last 3 years any of his films have gotten proper releases in the West. The Fate of Lee Khan is only available in a bargain bin 4-in-1 DVD set, Legend of the Mountain just got restored and released on Blu-ray recently, and I haven't heard anything about the others.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
out of all the kung fu movies I've seen Dragon Lord definitely has one of my favorite endings to a fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHrHzxXmKgk&t=445s

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Enter the Dragon is going to be remade by David Leitch

I originally saw this on Birth.Movies.Death (AKA the old Badass Digest) but the article starts off by saying Enter the Dragon isn't a great movie so gently caress them. I picked the Variety link instead.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Nroo posted:

Nothing I can find in English. David Bordwell's Planet Hong Kong goes into his early and mid career a little bit and so does this article. The lack of discussion is all about his films' lack of availability; it's only been in the last 3 years any of his films have gotten proper releases in the West. The Fate of Lee Khan is only available in a bargain bin 4-in-1 DVD set, Legend of the Mountain just got restored and released on Blu-ray recently, and I haven't heard anything about the others.

Thanks for the info. How is Legend of the Mountain? Worth a blind buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

SleepCousinDeath posted:

out of all the kung fu movies I've seen Dragon Lord definitely has one of my favorite endings to a fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHrHzxXmKgk&t=445s

only because you haven't seen Executioners from Shaolin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DMMW0c0Zng&t=315s

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 25, 2018