Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

tuo posted:

I just discovered this thread. My gang of big clawed hermine crabs inside my tank like it.

Welcome friend! You should post your crabbers if you’d like :)

Here is one of my very speedy hermit crabs running full tilt on a hamster wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVRw2OwaTIk

ContraBoss fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ContraBoss posted:

Here is one of my very speedy hermit crabs running full tilt on a hamster wheel.

bet that bad boy got some torque

bet that bad boy got some torque

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

ContraBoss posted:

Classic 10/10. There's something amazing about that cricket just chilling near his eventual, torquey, shelled killer.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/3liza/status/959382519991816197?s=19

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Big fan of this Good Boy.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

from the early days of marketing to millennials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AafzLbM7GqM

Reddit but this is adorable

https://www.reddit.com/r/aww/comments/86mcon/shook_claws_with_some_curious_tuna_crabs_last/

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Tumble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABh-0w_Ist8

What's funny about this is that Guy N Smith claims In this interview that this movie was based off his series of giant-crab books, but the movie doesn't list him as actually getting any credit, and there is no record of him being involved in any way, shape, or form on IMDB either. But it's a crappbby low-budget flop of a monster movie made by two brothers that were never involved in any other movies so who knows, it could just be murky book-keeping.

He mentions that in the introduction to the 2017 printing of 'Night of the Crabs'. And sweet Christ how isn't this man more well known in the "so poo poo it's great" community. I'm sure he is in people that follow paperbacks, but god drat. I would love to see a movie of these.

Check out the introduction of the main antagonist of 'Night of the Crabs':

"King Crab! Nobody could have doubted the latest arrival's right to rule. Half as big again as the rest of those nightmarish creatures, this one was the very personification of evil. It waddled slowly to the front of the others, its pincers waving menacingly as though defying any one of them to challenge its authority. Some of them moved back, huddling together."

Truly the most horrible of monsters; able to be the very personification of evil, while waddling slowly.

Crabs are very cool creatures.

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 24, 2018

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Awwww yiss

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Those are pretty cute

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Saw some 2700 year old crabs yesterday, including some eating fishes.

Crab fandom may predate history...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Went down to the water and found a poor kelp crab.

He had a rough day was missing both claws and a leg. Put him back in the water. Hope he makes it!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

we have some very bad crabs where I live near Long Island sound, green crabs and asian shore crabs :( . we also have beautiful swimmers though and they are good crabs :)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What makes a crab turn bad, become evil & malignant? We just don't know.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SniperWoreConverse posted:

What makes a crab turn bad, become evil & malignant? We just don't know.

Who knows what evil she has planned.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I want to love dat crab but the murder is clear in her eyes

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I want that crab for my aquarium but I don't have a shore line to walk around on.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Went down to the water and found a poor kelp crab.

He had a rough day was missing both claws and a leg. Put him back in the water. Hope he makes it!

When I was stationed in Port Angeles, I saw these little guys all the time, clinging to the long masses of kelp. Occasionally when I had duty on the ship and I ate bone-in chicken for dinner or whatever, I would tie a line to the chicken bones and drop em into the water from the pier. The next morning when I pulled it up, they would be picked clean :3:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
actually what I really need is some kind of kelp based aquarium

do kelp grow more than like 30 feet tall? it'd be sweet to have one that went from your attic to basement

of course it could be somewhat difficult to clean

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Two crab videos on facebook :3:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1781876345413243/permalink/1988548234746052/

https://www.facebook.com/thefabulousweirdtrotters/videos/1728166667230445

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Suddenly there is nothing in life I want more than a Swiss Army Crab

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Love Swiss army crab.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

hooooooly poo poo there's nothing i want more right now more than that handful of baby hermies! :swoon:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mak0rz posted:

Suddenly there is nothing in life I want more than a Swiss Army Crab

15 bucks here
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYLV3DR/

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

ContraBoss posted:

When I was stationed in Port Angeles, I saw these little guys all the time, clinging to the long masses of kelp. Occasionally when I had duty on the ship and I ate bone-in chicken for dinner or whatever, I would tie a line to the chicken bones and drop em into the water from the pier. The next morning when I pulled it up, they would be picked clean :3:

That’s how I caught blue crab out of the Potomac as a kid. Chicken necks on string, tied to the pilings of a pier. Feel each line for tension and if one is holding, slowly and gently reel it in until you see the crab and scoop it from the bottom with a hand net.

In between takes, you scout the pilings for any crabs molting and hope you can dip out a soft boy or two to fry up.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I went camping this weekend and ran across one of these dudes. His body was about the size of my fist and he was super neat. This is a picture from the internet though because my phone was super dead.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Xaintrailles posted:

Saw some 2700 year old crabs yesterday, including some eating fishes.

Crab fandom may predate history...

Woah, where did these artisan pioneers of crab appreciating live?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Grevling posted:

Woah, where did these artisan pioneers of crab appreciating live?

Assyria. I think that water is supposed to be the Tigris.
The carvings are in the British Museum. There's some stuff about war in them but you could tell the sculptor mostly cared about the crabs.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Xaintrailles posted:

Assyria. I think that water is supposed to be the Tigris.
The carvings are in the British Museum. There's some stuff about war in them but you could tell the sculptor mostly cared about the crabs.

That's rad. I always knew that behind the Assyrians' hard image there was a harder, more carapaced side.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

I went camping this weekend and ran across one of these dudes. His body was about the size of my fist and he was super neat. This is a picture from the internet though because my phone was super dead.

Looks like some kind of mechanized warfare equipment. I want one.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

This thread actually makes me think about putting some Mithraculus sculptus in my tank again. Let's see if I can find some tank-bred ones....

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Here's a pic of a Tasmanian King crab and a Japanese spider crab, I think these are the two worlds heaviest crabs, Japanese one is heaviest.

Pic info says Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.

I think they are buds

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kharnifex fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 27, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m drooling.

Sorry thread. Little crabs still cute and safe from me though.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I had 12 huge crab claws for my lunch last weekend. It was super delicious! Recreational crabbing owns, friends!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

We finally got a student assistant which means our animals are no longer being neglected because we don't have time to do it.

This week, Cedella, Ky-Mani, and Ziggy finally got a fresh tank with new sand. The old one was filthy! Now they're happily climbing around and being super chill instead of hiding under their disgusting log because there was nowhere to go without walking all over their own poo poo.

(Sorry for the black square. My lab coat has my workplace's logo on it)

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 30, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

We finally got a student assistant which means our animals are no longer being neglected because we don't have time to do it.

This week, Cedella, Ky-Mani, and Ziggy finally got a fresh tank with new sand. The old one was filthy! Now they're happily climbing around and being super chill instead of hiding under their disgusting log because there was nowhere to go without walking all over their own poo poo.

(Sorry for the black square. My lab coat has my workplace's logo on it)

Those are some happy looking crabbos! I can't WAIT to move out of our apartment and into a bigger place so I can get something larger than a 10 gallon for my 6 hermits. It's too small for that many crabs, and Jojo alone requires a lot more substrate to molt in than I can provide in a 10 gallon, while still making it a suitable crabitat for the others. I was actually thinking about using a plain old 5-gallon bucket as a molting enclosure since it can be filled much deeper, its opaque so it provides more darkness for them to feel comfortable, and it's super cheap.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfoYD8pAsMw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ContraBoss posted:

Those are some happy looking crabbos! I can't WAIT to move out of our apartment and into a bigger place so I can get something larger than a 10 gallon for my 6 hermits. It's too small for that many crabs, and Jojo alone requires a lot more substrate to molt in than I can provide in a 10 gallon, while still making it a suitable crabitat for the others. I was actually thinking about using a plain old 5-gallon bucket as a molting enclosure since it can be filled much deeper, its opaque so it provides more darkness for them to feel comfortable, and it's super cheap.

Geez we only have three in this 25gal'er and it's still a little crowded in there. It's mostly the sticks though. Caribbean hermies like to climb.