Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Maximum Leader posted:

what are you worried about? if you've ever used a nfc card like on public transport you'd know accidentally scanning it somewhere is a complete non-issue. I remember when nfc cards were just coming out and people thought holding the card in your hand while the bus drove by would scan your card on the bus lol

technology is a mystery and humanity will be lucky to understand its magic before self-immolating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

the terminal has nfc capabilities and pops up the wallet when i hold my phone over it

oh yeah ive never even tried that, i always double-tap home and do the fingerprint read before even holding my phone up to the terminal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Maximum Leader posted:

what are you worried about? if you've ever used a nfc card like on public transport you'd know accidentally scanning it somewhere is a complete non-issue. I remember when nfc cards were just coming out and people thought holding the card in your hand while the bus drove by would scan your card on the bus lol

but someone with a 1-metre antenna could pick your pocket from across a very small room with no one else in it! also if they rub their antenna up against the pocket you keep ypur wallet in a half dozen times

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

infernal machines posted:

also if they rub their antenna up against the pocket you keep ypur wallet in a half dozen times

take that elsewhere cause this is a family friendly forum

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the upshot being only enable nfc on credit cards and then never worry about it because fraud protection exists

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

idk, that part feels mostly moot although i wouldn’t discard possibility of some scammers doing something on public transit when everyone is bundled up close. anyways, i just want a slim wallet for cards only

the real worry was that we don’t use any auth on nfc payments so if my card is lost and found my questionably honest somebody, the money from it could trickle out fast

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i could get a credit card instead, sure, but i have not many reasons to, i think

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
They would literally have to hold the nfc terminal directly against your pocket or wherever you keep your card in order for it to have any chance of scanning correctly. Larger amounts require authorisation and they'd need to keep it connected to their merchant account. I think it would be the dumbest possible crime but I'd love to give it a shot for a "prank" sketch because I bet it would be hilarious trying to scan peoples wallets like that.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
hey The Management, in your experience, would you consider your boss at Apple identifying you, in the midst of a exit interview, as the “canary in the coal mine” to be a good sign or a bad sign? asking for a friend...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well... how does that usually work out for the canary?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Scott Forstall posted:

hey The Management, in your experience, would you consider your boss at Apple identifying you, in the midst of a exit interview, as the “canary in the coal mine” to be a good sign or a bad sign? asking for a friend...

this was sort of me at my last job and all my coworkers i left behind got raises & promotions pretty soon after

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

They would literally have to hold the nfc terminal directly against your pocket or wherever you keep your card in order for it to have any chance of scanning correctly. Larger amounts require authorisation and they'd need to keep it connected to their merchant account. I think it would be the dumbest possible crime but I'd love to give it a shot for a "prank" sketch because I bet it would be hilarious trying to scan peoples wallets like that.

fair enough. either way, it’s probably difficult to buy a wallet in tyool2018 that won’t have this protection

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Scott Forstall posted:

I think it’s an ambiguous analogy, and good for whom?

without more context the way I would interpret it is: good people are the first to leave when things are hosed. if your departure has significantly skewed the team balance over to the bozo side of the spectrum, your manager is taking that as a hint that that things are hosed in your group. so, probably good for you, not very good to your survivors.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Maximum Leader posted:

That and (good) banks have a different card number for the NFC which isn't the same on the card and only allows nfc emv transactions, so stealing it isn't very useful.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ars has a cool piece on the pippen

we had a meeting with Apple while Pippin was in development and we asked what level of 3D acceleration it would have since it was coming about the same time as the PlayStation

“it won’t need it, it has a PowerPC” was the answer we openly laughed at

then they didn’t send us a dev kit

the AppleJack is a pretty deece feeling controller though, still have one with an ADB adapter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

we had a meeting with Apple while Pippin was in development and we asked what level of 3D acceleration it would have since it was coming about the same time as the PlayStation

“it won’t need it, it has a PowerPC” was the answer we openly laughed at

then they didn’t send us a dev kit

the AppleJack is a pretty deece feeling controller though, still have one with an ADB adapter

lol. racing days looks pretty good for a cpu based raster engine tho, i'm guessing because barely 1/3rd of the screen is the 3d rendered output

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

apple pay owns where do u guys live wyoming?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

lol. racing days looks pretty good for a cpu based raster engine tho, i'm guessing because barely 1/3rd of the screen is the 3d rendered output

exactly, but that wouldn’t have really worked for, say, Spectre (though Spectre always used software rendering, it got away with it due to low poly count and simple shading)

one of the biggest problems at that era’s Apple were the MBAs running the show, as mentioned in the article

instead of being practitioners who went into management because they might want to manage and then got promoted for actually delivering, they came in as managers because they had impressive credentials and decided they knew better than either the engineers or the market, and they made the major product decisions based on that

3D hardware? a crutch for when you don’t have a badass CPU! (a 603 with barely enough cache for the 68K emulator…) Internet? no money in it. (because eWorld was making so much…) upgradability to a computer? it’ll cannibalize the low end! (because Mac was doing so well there…) etc.

one of the best things SJ did was to burn a huge swath through the middle, anti-useful layers of the org chart

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

those mitered cuffs tho

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The_Franz posted:

i've had it happen where the terminal has nfc capabilities and pops up the wallet when i hold my phone over it, but after a few seconds it just makes an obnoxious noise with CARD READ ERROR on the screen and won't work until i insert the actual card

you would think that the payment companies would incentivize retailers to support mobile payments since they basically eliminate the possibility of compromising accounts via skimming or hacking

this happened to me a couple days ago, but with a tap card. i saw the logo, held my card up to the reader, and it angrily beeped at me until i inserted it

Endless Mike posted:

yeah, if you happen to have a tap card, then you can use it at places that accept nfc payments. i don't know of any banks currently offering tap cards, but i haven't really bothered to look into it, so it's possible some do.

costco (citi) visa

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Raluek posted:

this happened to me a couple days ago, but with a tap card. i saw the logo, held my card up to the reader, and it angrily beeped at me until i inserted it

some companies try to do exclusive deals with stores where only their NFC-based payment system is usable at those stores

after all, it worked so great for “and they don’t take American Express” Visa

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pissflaps posted:

Saying ‘the second exit’ is perfectly normal and especially helpful when the second exit isn’t in a straight line from the road where you’ve joined the roundabout from. ‘Straight on’ might be the third exit, or the first.

this is so hosed up. sorry your country sucks and forces you to use such hyperspergic language

things people have said to me as far as directions on a roundabout go

"go left at the roundabout"

"go right at the roundabout"

"go straight thru at the round about"

pro tip - want people to not crash when they drive? dont ask them to count

also more importantly I was *this* close to buying an ipad today bt cremnob tweeted and said why there is a new one so who has the official news that it has an A11????

*ie i was going to buy one but they didnt have black only lame white

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

a good sign someone wants you dead

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
alright genius you got two exits one at 2 o’clock the other at 10 o’clock which one is straight?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bomb posted:

apple pay owns where do u guys live wyoming?

we live in the real world where apple pay is a joke and only made worse by being coupled with iface

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
people are poo poo at estimating the total angular distance they've turned, especially if they're paying close attention to other cars like you have to in a roundabout. counting exits is absolutely the right thing to do even in a simple two-way intersection, assuming there isn't something even better like clearly labelled unique signage for each exit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
apple pay is loving amazing for paying in the back of a cab, in which one cannot actually see the terminal

yeah that's kind of a niche need but it's like 20+ million people on the east coast, who, you know, have much of the spending power in america. if apple pay is a niche product that is extremely useful to a small number of wealthy people, it is probably a success from an apple POV

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
tech buble megathread: who, you know, have much of the spending power in america.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I cringed hard the other day at a local bar that has good food that normally does cash business and has lovely digital infrastructure bc the person in front of me was hawking Samsung payments to the bartender and talking up rewards programs and offered her his code which gave $5 credit and she had to feign interest so hard and his transaction took several minutes and he didn't tip

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

OldAlias posted:

i use a wallet phone case since I don't like to carry a lot of stuff and don't have too many cards, it's functional but could be nicer

same. i used to not have a case on my phone, then i shattered the glass on it twice in 3 days and bought a wallet case and stopped using a separate wallet. it makes the phone bigger, but it's smaller than a phone a wallet separately. and is one less thing i have to remember to take with me

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

echinopsis posted:

this is so hosed up. sorry your country sucks and forces you to use such hyperspergic language

things people have said to me as far as directions on a roundabout go

"go right at the roundabout"

These are all fine but there's also occasions where you need to be more specific and saying a numbered exit is the best way. Sorry for your subpar intellect that cannot process this information.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

eschaton posted:

exactly, but that wouldn’t have really worked for, say, Spectre (though Spectre always used software rendering, it got away with it due to low poly count and simple shading)

oh poo poo that's a blast from the past - i remember playing the demo of spectre on some mid-90s performa (?) the my hoarder uncle lent us. any idea how one can play it in tyool 2018?

Pissflaps posted:

These are all fine but there's also occasions where you need to be more specific and saying a numbered exit is the best way. Sorry for your subpar intellect that cannot process this information.

yeah saying 'left at the roundabout' would only make sense 100% of the time if you literally never went through a roundabout with more than 4 exits. also when you're on a roundabout you're not thinking 'oh i'm turning right', you're thinking about what exit you're going to go through

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 25, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

oh poo poo that's a blast from the past - i remember playing the demo of spectre on some mid-90s performa (?) the my hoarder uncle lent us. any idea how one can play it in tyool 2018?

emulator

it needs 8-bit color for its page flipping trick, so if you’re using mini vMac or something don’t configure it for 24-bit or anything like that

(the page flipping trick: it renders directly to the screen in 8-bit mode, but treats it as two four-bit screens with different palettes, so it can get the smoothness of double buffering without actually needing hardware support for two separate buffers)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

ars has a cool piece on the pippen

apple in the 90s before steve came back wasnt really apple it was more like apple fan fiction

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

emulator

it needs 8-bit color for its page flipping trick, so if you’re using mini vMac or something don’t configure it for 24-bit or anything like that

(the page flipping trick: it renders directly to the screen in 8-bit mode, but treats it as two four-bit screens with different palettes, so it can get the smoothness of double buffering without actually needing hardware support for two separate buffers)

that's a great trick

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

roundabout direction prompt chat might be the most banal derail yospos has ever had

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DuckConference posted:

roundabout direction prompt chat might be the most banal derail yospos has ever had

i think we had one about katchup vs catsup

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sup, cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

echinopsis posted:

In Scotland there are a lot of simple roundabouts with only 2-3 exits and the lack of "straight ahead" is confusing as that is the nomenclature you use when learning to drive. Counting the exits is not intuitive and easy to mess up on larger roundabouts when you are thinking about something else like simply avoiding other mental drivers or the awesome gearbox of a '76 VW campervan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk42cp0EopE

I've noted a new feature on Apple Maps which is kind of interesting, when you are moving slow it is taken to not always rotating the map in the drivers direction to avoid being distracting with a lot of turns. However they also attempt to be smart with the voice announcement, if a new junction is appearing they will cut into the previous announcement with the new one. It's very artificial but least an improvement over Googles.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 25, 2018