Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Imo the fight scenes in pacific rim 1 were absolutely fine, they were gorgeously lit and very easy to follow, most of the hate on them is more people having a more fundamental dislike of the film (which, tbh, PacRim was pretty mediocre overall) but not being able to adequately describe why, and instead latching on to a seemingly valid criticism without examination.
no i literally could not follow the fight scenes in pacific rim at all

like i have bad eyesight, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

no i literally could not follow the fight scenes in pacific rim at all

like i have bad eyesight, but

Sounds like a personal problem!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i just watched pacific rim a couple days ago, and the idea that someone had trouble following those fight scenes is pretty confusing to me but i'm willing to accept that that was the case for you, for reasons that i am totally unable to comprehend

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres no need to be a jackass about it duders

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just a bout o' friendly ribbin' sorry about that

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Eela6 posted:

Pacific Rim was bad because they didn't kiss at the end.

Kiss, drat you!

The robots? Yeah I agree.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Pacific Rim had too much screentime devoted to the boring humans and not enough to the cool mechs.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Pacific rim 2 was deeply flawed but fun and suffered from hands down the coolest fight in the film being about 2/5ths of the way through.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

Pacific RimEvery western robot/monster movie ever had too much screentime devoted to the boring humans and not enough to the cool mechs.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artum posted:

Pacific rim 2 was deeply flawed but fun and suffered from hands down the coolest fight in the film being about 2/5ths of the way through.

Yeah, the black Jaeger and Mass-production Jaegers were great, the Kaiju stuff was just a letdown

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ranzear posted:

Pacific RimEvery western robot/monster movie ever had too much screentime devoted to the boring humans and not enough to the cool mechs.

I'm pretty sure that applies to every Eastern robot/monster movie too.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

tsob posted:

I'm pretty sure that applies to every Eastern robot/monster movie too.

Most of the better godzilla movies share the common thread of having really good human drama for most of the film, actually?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I've been in the fence about Pacific Rim 2 because I knew it was going to have a different feel sure to Del Toro not being involved. I loved the first one because I felt like it was the happy medium between anime robots and Western battletech like robots. It's interesting that some people say that they can't follow the night fight scenes. I specifically use the Blu-ray as a test media for data projectors because on the high end projectors you can see all the detail on the screen.

So it sounds like Pacific Rim 2 went full anime where the first one went about half way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I thought Uprising was supposed to be a prequel featuring Boyega as young Stacker at first, and the fact that it's a sequel instead has made me not want to watch it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Lemon-Lime posted:

I thought Uprising was supposed to be a prequel featuring Boyega as young Stacker at first, and the fact that it's a sequel instead has made me not want to watch it.

It's some primo-tier robot punching and has nothing as egregiously stupid as the analog/digital jaeger line from the first one, give it a go if your after a fix of mecha.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Artum posted:

has nothing as egregiously stupid as the analog/digital jaeger line from the first one

See, if you were trying to sell the film to me, this is the exact thing you'd not want to say.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Most of the better godzilla movies share the common thread of having really good human drama for most of the film, actually?

Boring and good are both subjective. If every Western robot/monster movie has too much human stuff, then so does every Eastern one because they all have lots of human stuff and the quality of that stuff is entirely up to individual viewers.

Artum posted:

It's some primo-tier robot punching and has nothing as egregiously stupid as the analog/digital jaeger line from the first one, give it a go if your after a fix of mecha.

It also won't have anyone nearly as cool as Idris Elba, so it's probably not the best idea to start playing Top Trumps with the two entries.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Artum posted:

I feel like the diesel engine line was the more nonsensical Gipsy Danger accolade.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Revolver Bunker posted:

I've been in the fence about Pacific Rim 2 because I knew it was going to have a different feel sure to Del Toro not being involved. I loved the first one because I felt like it was the happy medium between anime robots and Western battletech like robots. It's interesting that some people say that they can't follow the night fight scenes. I specifically use the Blu-ray as a test media for data projectors because on the high end projectors you can see all the detail on the screen.

So it sounds like Pacific Rim 2 went full anime where the first one went about half way.

The parts where it goes anime are great. Th ZZ Gundam trash opening, the Macross love/friendship triangle, the Evangelion drone attack are all really good, the best parts of the movies. It's the boot camp stuff that's a fuckin lead weight around the movie's neck.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Midjack posted:

I feel like the diesel engine line was the more nonsensical Gipsy Danger accolade.

I thought that was the chinese one having like 50 diesel engines in a muscle strand?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EVGA Longoria posted:

If you want to see giant robots punching each other and giant monsters, Pacific Rim Uprising is a great movie.

Thanks for listening.

Glad to hear it's exactly as good as Pacific Rim.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Invictus posted:

Been a while since I've watched much anime let alone mecha shows, but I felt you folks might enjoy this breakdown on mecha by a fella I recently started following. He just put it out today, and it's a pretty great, thorough, and gorgeously edited rundown on the entire history of the mecha genre. He's also really enthusiastic about it, or at least really good at voiceovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6OHVrQ5tcw&hd=1

A week late but I'm watching this video now, and it's kind of questionable. His whole timeline concerning Mobile Suit Gundam's success is extremely confused. Apparently it was important and a big hit except that it was cancelled for low ratings, but it got popular before or after the movies because toy sales picked up because people realized it was important?

Later he says that Gaogaigar brought super robots "back into the public eye," and while that may be true to some degree in the west, he seems to be implying that was the case in Japan.

Evangelion apparently "didn't do what Mazinger Z and Gundam did and start some kind of boom of Eva clones," so I guess we know where Gigguk stands in regards to Rahxephon. :v: ...except later he acknowledges Rahxephon "paraded Eva's influence," so maybe we don't.

Diebuster also "brought back" super robots, despite coming out only two years after Rahxephon, another super robot show that he just got done talking about.

Finally he says that the mecha genre has fallen out of favor in modern times because war has become less compelling to audiences and that 13 episodes isn't enough to tell a good mecha story. Even assuming that modern audiences don't care about war (which is one hell of a claim), Gigguk earlier said that Evangelion proved that mecha shows didn't have to be about "battle stories" or "politically driven war stories." His claim that you can't tell a good mecha story in 13 episodes is contradicted by his own praise for Gunbuster and Diebuster earlier in the video.

It's incredibly well edited, but I'm not sure Gigguk has much to say and what he does say he trips over his point saying it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
We have five mecha series this Spring and at least another two this summer. Mecha is back in favor!

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

A week late but I'm watching this video now, and it's kind of questionable. His whole timeline concerning Mobile Suit Gundam's success is extremely confused. Apparently it was important and a big hit except that it was cancelled for low ratings, but it got popular before or after the movies because toy sales picked up because people realized it was important?

Later he says that Gaogaigar brought super robots "back into the public eye," and while that may be true to some degree in the west, he seems to be implying that was the case in Japan.

Evangelion apparently "didn't do what Mazinger Z and Gundam did and start some kind of boom of Eva clones," so I guess we know where Gigguk stands in regards to Rahxephon. :v: ...except later he acknowledges Rahxephon "paraded Eva's influence," so maybe we don't.

Diebuster also "brought back" super robots, despite coming out only two years after Rahxephon, another super robot show that he just got done talking about.

Finally he says that the mecha genre has fallen out of favor in modern times because war has become less compelling to audiences and that 13 episodes isn't enough to tell a good mecha story. Even assuming that modern audiences don't care about war (which is one hell of a claim), Gigguk earlier said that Evangelion proved that mecha shows didn't have to be about "battle stories" or "politically driven war stories." His claim that you can't tell a good mecha story in 13 episodes is contradicted by his own praise for Gunbuster and Diebuster earlier in the video.

It's incredibly well edited, but I'm not sure Gigguk has much to say and what he does say he trips over his point saying it.

Sounds like the TVTropes doctrine that genres are closed environments in a self-referential loop between edgy reboot deconstruction and nostalgia cash-grab reconstruction

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone who says Evangelion didn't start a bunch of clones has blocked out 90% of robot shows from the late 90's/early 2000's, and some non-robot ones too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Artum posted:

Yeah, for sure. I did like who the villain turned out to be though.

Honestly my greatest fear of the movie was the lack of weight, and a lot of the time it kept that feeling, especially in said fight. But then the Kaiju fight happens and you've got jaegers tripping and bumping a building and the whole thing comes down, and two seconds later another jaeger kickflips off a 4-story-tall building to jump-slash a kaiju and somehow the building survives/gives enough support for the jaeger to jump, that whole fight scene was not great.

REALLY good final attack though. Better than any in the first movie. And the kid's junkyard jaeger ruled.

And I love the loving OUT OF NOWHERE trololo song, that must've been a dare or something to put that in. Like I love the song, and the story behind it, but that was pretty drat random

Story is mostly garbo. Kaiju fight is mostly garbo. icing Rinko Kikuchi after like 2 scenes was garbo. Everything involving Obsidian Fury, the Drones and the junkyard jaeger ruled.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Captain Invictus posted:

REALLY good final attack though. Better than any in the first movie.

Nah, impaling them on your remaining sword and burning a hole through them at point blank range definitely wins that by being so god damned metal.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artum posted:

Nah, impaling them on your remaining sword and burning a hole through them at point blank range definitely wins that by being so god damned metal.

Yeah, in comparison the final attack in PR2 was dumb and overly cartoony.

Also, the whole thing about the Kaijus "real goal" was dumb. Attacking population centers makes perfect sense if they're the first wave of an invading alien army. And if the goal all along was Mt. Fuji, what was with all the Kaijus coming ashore in North America? Were they just lost?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Captain Invictus posted:

Honestly my greatest fear of the movie was the lack of weight, and a lot of the time it kept that feeling, especially in said fight. But then the Kaiju fight happens and you've got jaegers tripping and bumping a building and the whole thing comes down, and two seconds later another jaeger kickflips off a 4-story-tall building to jump-slash a kaiju and somehow the building survives/gives enough support for the jaeger to jump, that whole fight scene was not great.

They are giant robots fighting giant monsters, realism is really not relevant to this movie, yo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One of the main points of the first movie was to give you the sense of scale, of weight, of power of these massive machines and monsters in a real-world style scenario. When you've got them kickflipping off parking garages like a weightless toy moments after leaving footprint craters in the streets from their sheer mass, it doesn't work in the premise's favor. It looks like micheal bay transformers garbage.

Also, shoutout to the gundam unicorn statue cameo, which of course gets the kaiju tail whip right next to it but not destroyed lol

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

EVGA Longoria posted:

They are giant robots fighting giant monsters, realism is really not relevant to this movie, yo.

Weight is incredibly important for selling giant robots as physically existing in the world. It's one of the easiest things to screw up, but when the animators take care to add it then it just feels so much better.

See Big O, Giant Robo, and the first Pacific Rim.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Imo the fight scenes in pacific rim 1 were absolutely fine, they were gorgeously lit and very easy to follow, most of the hate on them is more people having a more fundamental dislike of the film (which, tbh, PacRim was pretty mediocre overall) but not being able to adequately describe why, and instead latching on to a seemingly valid criticism without examination.
Pacific Rim kind of came off as the compilation film of a 26-episode anime but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Hell I even enjoyed that the leads did not immediately go straight to heterosexual intercourse in a boat.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

One of the main points of the first movie was to give you the sense of scale, of weight, of power of these massive machines and monsters in a real-world style scenario. When you've got them kickflipping off parking garages like a weightless toy moments after leaving footprint craters in the streets from their sheer mass, it doesn't work in the premise's favor. It looks like micheal bay transformers garbage.

Did you forget about the cargo ship already?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Sounds like a personal problem!

:manning:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Pacific rim 2 was a meh at best, but oh man was I grinning like an idiot every time gyspy and obsidian fought. I loving love when the hero mech fights an evil black doppelganger, so seeing it on the big screen was awesome.

Kaiju fights sucked though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

:(

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Pacific Rim 2 was a bit more polished than 1 but had basically the same flaws.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I've been watching the youtube series History of Mecha, which was linked in the description of the video that was posted earlier, and it's quite good! It's a pretty straight forward account of "what came out when," but the narrator is pretty knowledgeable and the videos have a few neat details such as how successful shows were compared to each others.

This is the one I just finished watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiBDADsWjsA

And here's the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlBaccpHcbmbwsx1IDZMs3sLWkaq3skKS

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Hint: its because he either isnt aware of or doesnt want to acknowledge the role women played in gundam's popularity

the niche female fanbase making amuro x char doujins was present enough to get it reran, the reruns got popular, they made toys, the toys got popular based on the reruns. this isnt some weird woke drag on him, this is literally the timeline tomino's laid down, and i figure if anyone would know he would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Its almost like the predominantly male and reactionary elements of the fanbase have spent lierally decades trying to erase the legacy of female fans while elevating their own contributions, or something