Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

khy posted:

Sure, but they're the un-abridged ones that have all the filler and the terrible pacing, right? That's why I'm asking specifically about the One Pace stuff that skips all that.

IIRC there is a project for this called "One Pace".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Indiana_Krom posted:

IIRC there is a project for this called "One Pace".

Yes there is! It's a great project and I like it a lot, but as far as I can tell the One Pace project that skips all the filler and ridiculously overlengthened scenes is subbed only. For me this is no problem, but I'm wondering if there is an equivalent to One Pace that skips the filler and stuff BUT is also DUBBED for my nephew who might have trouble keeping up with the subtitles.

I'm sorry, I thought my question was clear about that.

khy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 2, 2018

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It was imho, they just weren’t paying attention. I don’t really think the dub should be an issue just for getting in; up until like Water 7 the show basically just has filler arcs/episodes instead of the egregious padding it’s now infamous for, and that’s still like 130 episodes once you skip the padding. Plus a lot of the old filler was actually good, like Zoro’s expanded backstory and Gold Roger’s execution.

Incidentally, the One Pace actually asked if they should do the dub or sub since they didn’t have time to edit both iirc and people said sub.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

It was imho, they just weren’t paying attention. I don’t really think the dub should be an issue just for getting in; up until like Water 7 the show basically just has filler arcs/episodes instead of the egregious padding it’s now infamous for, and that’s still like 130 episodes once you skip the padding. Plus a lot of the old filler was actually good, like Zoro’s expanded backstory and Gold Roger’s execution.

Incidentally, the One Pace actually asked if they should do the dub or sub since they didn’t have time to edit both iirc and people said sub.

They should not have listened to them.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just saw 808. Might switch to the manga soon.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Dub is actually easier to edit because it has separate audio tracks for music and voices.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Hi i just wanted to say i've really been enjoying this arc since the biscuit fight ended. Brook got an incredibly good showing that i think he was long overdue for, that was really great to see

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah, despite it still being a bit slow paced still Brook 'winning' against Big Mama was pretty badass.

Kind of hoping Jimbei is going to officially join the crew at some point and make good on his promise, though possibly his crew will just end up joining the Luffy alliance instead.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Yeah, despite it still being a bit slow paced still Brook 'winning' against Big Mama was pretty badass.

Kind of hoping Jimbei is going to officially join the crew at some point and make good on his promise, though possibly his crew will just end up joining the Luffy alliance instead.

It also seemed to be for a while that was going to be the case. But my biggest question here though is: what role would he play on the ship?
I had not considered the alliance option before, but that does seem more likely.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
What's a good semi-recent episode to get started with the One Piece anime when I don't want to watch hundreds of episodes of history? It definitely has to be from the widescreen/HD era, preferably last 5 years or younger. Is there a natural starting point in that time frame?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Chapter 1 of the manga

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Start from the beginning! It's worth it and Crunchyroll has an HD version which makes it easier to watch.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

SpartanIV posted:

Start from the beginning! It's worth it and Crunchyroll has an HD version which makes it easier to watch.

I see SD and 480p, am I missing something?

edit: Ah, it's called the special edition, it's something different. Thanks!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Also consider looking up One Pace, which is a fan-edited project which cuts out a lot of the filler and recaps.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

busfahrer posted:

I see SD and 480p, am I missing something?

edit: Ah, it's called the special edition, it's something different. Thanks!

I started watching One Piece last year and it took me like 3 months to catch up to current with it but it was an awesome watch. The earliest arcs are definitely the best so far.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My favourite OP episodes are definitely still from 1 and up 150 or so. There are many later things I really liked too, but those are the best IMO.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Those rule, and for me later with Water 7 and Thriller Bark etc it really got groovy again too. Though there's the pacing stuff, those arcs were smooth viewing for me none the less. We are on the cruise, which is nice!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Truga posted:

My favourite OP episodes are definitely still from 1 and up 150 or so. There are many later things I really liked too, but those are the best IMO.

There's a lot to like after that but I think that was the strongest time as well. Funny enough, episode 151 (Luffy VS Bellamy, Shichibukai/Whitebeard Introduction) remains my favorite episode of One Piece so far.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Question about Capone Bege:

If you are inside him and you leave a dump in one of his toilets, where does it go when you flush? and is he aware of what you're doing?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
So Sanji was fishing some people out of water that had clearly been in there for hours. The Strawhat crew does a surprisingly miraculous job of not killing anyone, but I guess those would be pretty confirmed kills.
I just remember back to Enies Lobby when everyone survived and no one had any kind of permanent damage, even the blinded thing healed up. I always thought it was kind of silly.
It seemed like death was only possible in flashbacks.
But now there have been a few deaths since the start of the New World.

Also, I had been wondering why Big Mom, whose entire empire is built on diplomatic marriages would risk upsetting her ability to do that by killing a groom's family, but with the memory power that now makes sense. It seems like she'd get everything she wanted by just going through with things, but I guess she wants to keep her daughter for her potential eye powers.

I can't figure out why on Earth Sanji wants to protect his murderous and villainous "family" though. Except obviously his sister.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

Also, I had been wondering why Big Mom, whose entire empire is built on diplomatic marriages would risk upsetting her ability to do that by killing a groom's family
Being an immortal unreasonable rampaging iron balloon murder machine with no concept of empathy also helps get you what you want.

If I marry my kid away I have a 50% chance of getting murdered, if not I have a 100% chance of getting murdered. Easy choice imho. Welcome to the New World.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

But now there have been a few deaths since the start of the New World.

There have been a handful of other deaths in the series going quite a way back, I think one of the earliest examples is the Alabasta arc (a bunch of royal guards take strength boosting poison and die of it later). There are probably a ton of other people who die off screen too. Plus obviously Ace and Whitebeard in the Paramount war (iirc?).

Shadow0 posted:

I can't figure out why on Earth Sanji wants to protect his murderous and villainous "family" though. Except obviously his sister.

I can think of a couple of reasons:

1) To prove that he's not a monster like them
2) To honour his mother's memory (as clearly at some point she loved all of them)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the way to honour her mother's memory would be to kill the monsters imo, but i'm not gonna kinkshame

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

At last stuff is actually happening in the show now instead of it being an endless parade of wacky new character designs.

Brook has proven himself very reliable in this arc too, always good to see the rest of the crew achieving important things.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i always felt like brook got the short end of the stick, what with the crew disbanding almost immediately after he joined, but he's really getting a lot of chances to shine this arc and it's wonderful

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Do they still do the dumb thing in the dub where they refuse to translate any of the text on screen? I've tried watching before and it's infuriating when text appears, is focused on, and is completely untranslated while the dub goes on like you read it. Like Sanji's painted sign drawing attention to his note to Nami in Water 7.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

sharrrk posted:

i always felt like brook got the short end of the stick, what with the crew disbanding almost immediately after he joined, but he's really getting a lot of chances to shine this arc and it's wonderful

Most of the crew gets the short end of the stick, we're only getting half of them at a time because of all the guest characters joining in. Which is a shame because I always felt the crew are far more interesting than the usual 'Luffy unveils a new technique to win' stories.

I kind of want to know what Zoro's bunch are up to over in not-Japan. But most likely we'll get maybe half an episode dedicated to that like in the last arc when the crew was split up.

I like that Jimbei has dedicated himself to the Straw Hats too, though somehow I can't see him sticking around as a long term member. I'm guessing something will happen to him in this arc preventing him from hanging about. Pretty neat he's immune to Big Mom's soul leeching because he doesn't fear death. I imagine Luffy is the same way.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So far Bege and his security team have been of very questionable value to Big Mom and her venue. The only incidents that have occurred so far have been handled by her own son. (And also the security details are trying to kill her and are largely responsible for entire plot so there's that too.)

I also like that Bruel (and to a lesser degree the train man) has been a massive asset to the Strawhats at a massive cost to her own team. They even got her to make those Luffy clones.

I agree it's really nice that Brook has been shining so much in this arc.
Excited to see how Jinbei will fit into everything and what his role on the ship will be.
Luffy always said he wanted 10 people though, and I don't think Jinbei has any kind of role to fill, so I'm wondering if he really is gonna join or what will happen.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Edit: Wrong thread. Sorry, y'all.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 28, 2018

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Caught on the last 30 eps, ohhh man. Puddings reveal! I was making excuses for her, oh maybe it's a twin? No that' can't be pudding. :( I was so happy for Sanji. The latest ep has the coolest scene ever with Sanji and his family.

Big Mama's family is really inept, they're extremely disorganised and the generals seem to be very weak. Compare them to the Doflamingo family who were organised and gave the full crew a lot of trouble. It doesn't help that Big Mama is extremely unstable, she maybe the most powerful pirate alive but it's under by her emotions.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I get the impression that a lot of the threat of Big Mom's crew comes from their numbers rather than individual extreme power levels (though they do have some very strong members amongst them).

Because of this a lot of them seem to coast by and don't put much effort in because they assume someone else will fix their mistake. They also don't seem to co-operate very well, there's probably a lot of infighting we don't see. At least three of her daughters have left the family, Pudding may be heading that way too.

Next episode looks like a snorefest, I wish they'd stop giving tragic backstories to all the major villains. They need someone who's evil for the sake of it rather than hating people because kids were mean to them when they were young etc..

EDIT: Yes I know that Doflamingo was a psychotic shitbag but he still got tortured and had his parents murdered in front of him so it counts.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 9, 2018

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Yo, they're going to show us Elbaf for the first time...

Far from a snorefest as far as I'm concerned. Gimme all those giant details! Also, details about giants!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zark the Damned posted:

Yes I know that Doflamingo was a psychotic shitbag but he still got tortured and had his parents murdered in front of him so it counts.

Him being a total shitbag from the very start probably contributed to bad things happening to him in the first place so no, it doesn't count IMO.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I can't imagine an island full of giants, do the giants inhabit a whole continent? How do they construct ships?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

I get the impression that a lot of the threat of Big Mom's crew comes from their numbers rather than individual extreme power levels (though they do have some very strong members amongst them).

Because of this a lot of them seem to coast by and don't put much effort in because they assume someone else will fix their mistake. They also don't seem to co-operate very well, there's probably a lot of infighting we don't see. At least three of her daughters have left the family, Pudding may be heading that way too.

Next episode looks like a snorefest, I wish they'd stop giving tragic backstories to all the major villains. They need someone who's evil for the sake of it rather than hating people because kids were mean to them when they were young etc..

EDIT: Yes I know that Doflamingo was a psychotic shitbag but he still got tortured and had his parents murdered in front of him so it counts.

Haha boy are you in for a treat if you think that’s how it goes for Big Mom

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Asuron posted:

Spoilers

Are you uh, dropping manga spoilers in the anime thread there, bud?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Are you uh, dropping manga spoilers in the anime thread there, bud?

Stating that the backstory essentially won’t be boring with as vague details as possible is a spoiler now?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Asuron posted:

Stating that the backstory essentially won’t be boring with as vague details as possible is a spoiler now?

Doesn't seem like it to me~ :)

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Did...did Linlin do what I think she did? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

Did...did Linlin do what I think she did? :gonk:

I uh, came to the same conclusion... :gonk: