Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I wanna give this game a fair shake now that I upgraded me pc and stuff. what is the funnest class where I can just gently caress poo poo up from level 1 to max?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Imo, can't go wrong with Magplar for a first toon, it's really easy, fun, and you have a lot of self heals even when 100% DPS to feel like you can solo the world.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Can I get an invite it is @Drashin. Also I have a magicka warden that I started are they good or should I try another class?

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
So, uh, I made my first tank following the guide on alcast. It's really effective! I can solo almost anything and not die. The problem is, well, they also don't die because I do so little damage.

This has proven problematic when trying to just play the game by myself instead of running vet trials. Is there a good middle ground build for tank?

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
I think i accidentally declined the guild invite can someone resend it?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

You can configure the addon Dustman to automatically delete things you have a billion of in your craft bag, or garbage you never wanted but are too lazy to delete manually each time like white items in a theft spree, and that's on top of being able to one click sell all your stolen goods while sorting out what you want to keep or launder.

Dustman rules for non ESO backpack sanity.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Overemotional Robot posted:

So, uh, I made my first tank following the guide on alcast. It's really effective! I can solo almost anything and not die. The problem is, well, they also don't die because I do so little damage.

This has proven problematic when trying to just play the game by myself instead of running vet trials. Is there a good middle ground build for tank?

Have two sets of clothes and enough SP to have two specs.

It's literally the only answer as a tank.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Overemotional Robot posted:

Best bet is to just carry a set of all medium armor to swap to for solo/story stuff.

Ideally a dw or 2h with bow standard Stam dps build but

If you really like the whole sword and board aesthetic for general adventuring you could also back bar just like a 2h or dw to swap to the take care of stuff quicker

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1812-AlphaGear2.html if you're PC use this to bind gear sets to keystrokes to make gear swapping easy

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Thanks to Dori and Flooby, I finally got a vMoL clear. Suffered through a poo poo healer but the skin looks pretty cool.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Seriously, whoever at zenimax thought of making the craft bag eso+ only is an evil genius. I don't even like crafting that much but playing without craft bag just feels bad enough that I gotta have it :mad:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

NLJP posted:

Seriously, whoever at zenimax thought of making the craft bag eso+ only is an evil genius. I don't even like crafting that much but playing without craft bag just feels bad enough that I gotta have it :mad:

Right? That's kind of how I feel about it. It irks me enough that I have to have it, but at the same time I don't feel like it's an unreasonable thing to lock behind a subscription because I could get by without it. I'd just have to manage my inventory more and well... :effort:

It creates a great incentive without feeling exploitive.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah it's insidious that way

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Never played eso before.

Took advantage of free play weekend on steam - Played for an hour or two last night after a three day download. Have played well over a hundred days of WoW and probably half that amount of time in EvE online. I enjoy tanking in PVE, gathering and crafting and occasionally two handed swording in PvP.

Will I like this game? Should I buy premium? Is it a good time to level up from fresh given there’s an expansion coming out soon? Is orc dragon knight a bad idea?

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
One of the best things about this game is that 95% of the content can be completed by anyone, regardless of level (you scale to everything). So starting a new character doesn't immediately put you at a massive disadvantage or unable to do normal dungeons and stuff with higher level friends.

I think tanking is a lot of fun in this game, but it's a fair bit different from WoW or other more traditional MMOs; there's no hate or aggro meter. Taunts act like rescue/snap abilities and force enemies to target you for 15 seconds. There's also no AOE taunts, so CC becomes more important to allow you to lock everything down for your DPS to rain AOE death on it.

The PvP is also a lot of fun, and in Cyrodiil is on a massive scale (the map is huge). It involves conquering and defending keeps, castles and the like. As such, it can get pretty zergy. If you prefer smaller scale PvP there's also battlegrounds (which requires Morrowind to access).

Gathering and crafting are both easy to do. Crafting gear in particular I really enjoy in this game - and I loathed crafting in pretty much every other MMO I've played. The crafting is simple to learn but has a surprising amount of depth to it. That being said, if you do decide to play a fair amount then subbing is well worth it for the crafting bag alone (it's a bottomless bag that automatically stores any crafting materials you pick up).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I haven't played since pre-Morrowind, and now I hear they're already doing a similar expansion with the Summerset Isle? I guess I should come back, but if Summerset's coming 'soon' should I wait to see if I can get Morrowind on sale?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If you preorder summerset you get morrowind for free

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Yeah it's bonkers. Buy it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Never played eso before.

Took advantage of free play weekend on steam - Played for an hour or two last night after a three day download. Have played well over a hundred days of WoW and probably half that amount of time in EvE online. I enjoy tanking in PVE, gathering and crafting and occasionally two handed swording in PvP.

Will I like this game? Should I buy premium? Is it a good time to level up from fresh given there’s an expansion coming out soon? Is orc dragon knight a bad idea?

they keep adding dlc to make premium more and more mandatory, basically. clockwork city, dark broho, thieves guild, orsinium, etc. they're good areas with cool stuff in them but either you buy them piecemeal which is like eighty bucks, or subscribe.

expansion packs cost money regardless, though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Scyantific posted:

If you preorder summerset you get morrowind for free

Only certain versions. You can get it (plus morrowind) for $30 from Bethesda directly. It's not on Steam though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh dang, I should do that then

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

jokes posted:

Only certain versions. You can get it (plus morrowind) for $30 from Bethesda directly. It's not on Steam though.

I preordered Summerset from Steam and it came with Morrowind. It cost $29.99 for this.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

I preordered Summerset from Steam and it came with Morrowind. It cost $29.99 for this.

So it definitely did yesterday when I was looking at things, but when I just went to look it seems like they removed it? It's now only (listed anyway) in the Collection.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Orv posted:

So it definitely did yesterday when I was looking at things, but when I just went to look it seems like they removed it? It's now only (listed anyway) in the Collection.

Well poo poo.

Kinda odd they changed it so unannounced.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
So my buddy I normally mmo with has basically given this a pass when I told him we should start because of the lack of pvp. Is he correct that there isn’t any open world pvp (outside of that one zone you mentioned), no dueling, no zones for certain factions etc? We can’t just roll around trying to find people to kill in whatever zone we want?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
There is duelling. Most capitals have a few people bopping each other over the head near the crafting stations or auction houses. But yes, there is no open season ganking.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What makes stamwardens so effective in pvp?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
there used to be factional zones but they got rid of them

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Apparently I just need to bitch in gchat to please the ESO gods. After griping that all I get are pre-mades and killstealer mag sorcs for BG Deathmatches, I finally got one that was pure pug and banged out my Paragon achievement. It was a beautiful 11-0 massacre and I finally got the last PvP title/achievement I wanted:

Turns out it's easy as poo poo when one/both teams aren't a ball of heavy armor and healers spamming shields! God drat I'm so done with BGs.

Edit: I think BGs would actually be really good if they could make premades queue separate or something. I've had some really great games that go down to the wire between 3 pugs, and no one feels like they're farming/getting farmed. Too bad that's only like 1/10 games.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 29, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

corn in the bible posted:

there used to be factional zones but they got rid of them

not in that sense, cyrodiil has always been the only open pvp area

i think by factional zones they were referring to old WoW or DAoC where you could "raid" other factions zones, this has never been a thing in ESO

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

can i get an invite on KaneTW2 thanks

thepinkmanatee
May 23, 2005

YAAAAHTDDOUGAT!!!
can i get an invite on @pheezer

mustardtrout
Mar 30, 2018

HAAANnnnKKKK
Can I get an invite @mustardtrout ?

Lamer
Jul 14, 2000
Seeking an invite if someone wouldn't mind @Payat

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oof, the gear scaling is pretty rough when you first hit cp160. Went from around 18k/28K health/mag to 13k/26k. Guess I'll stick to rando norms for a little while to upgrade gear.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Inspector 34 posted:

Oof, the gear scaling is pretty rough when you first hit cp160. Went from around 18k/28K health/mag to 13k/26k. Guess I'll stick to rando norms for a little while to upgrade gear.

Ask FaU about going from 49 to cp160+ right in the middle of a dungeon and watching your dps plummet.

Farm some mats and ask in chat, one of us will be happy to craft you some cp160 gear!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Basically, buy 600 Ancestor Silk on a guild vendor, and I'll do the rest.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Ok I think I finally settled on a class I like so I can start playing,I get to Daggerfall and they just give you property to start? That's a very nice surprise.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Well, "property" but yeah. It's a free teleport too.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Aramek posted:

Well, "property" but yeah. It's a free teleport too.

It looked better in the concept artbrochure :colbert:

Ok so questions, I just unlocked the first dungeon I guess but how do they work in eso?

Also, if I'm interested in the thieves guild/dark brotherhood can I do those quests now or should I hold off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

You can do any quests at any time basically, I'd recommend in Non-dlc zones you follow one of the faction stories through the zones in order, though.

I basically did that with a detour through the orsimmar dlc.