Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I volunteered for an easy thing, and the sharks are circling for me to take care of related hard, time consuming things. Never loving volunteer for anything outside of your basic job.

Never be first. Never be last. Never volunteer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

I think they're looking for someone who finds IT genuinely interesting and engaging. I know I've stayed up till 2 am once or twice researching cool new things I'd like to implement at work, just seeing how they functioned in the wild. But I've also only done that like, once or twice this year most days are just home->crash on couch->rest->repeat
The best way to kill your interest in anything is to make it your job.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

most days are just home->crash on couch->rest->repeat

It's just occurred to me that the idea of achieving a genuine rest between bouts of work is foreign to me.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Top Ramen, Hot Water, ketchup? Did you get the order wrong? Water not hot enough?

Also, congrats on the new job offer, mergers are always super stressful.

Spaghetti with oil and garlic (with less oil than the recipe calls for because 3/4 cup ends up being a lot.)

I heated up the oil too much and ended up making a bunch of garlic chips. Still tasty, though.

Collateral Damage posted:

The best way to kill your interest in anything is to make it your job.

I'm a real big dumb ol baseball fan and have my own blog that I sporadically update (also as an excuse to setup Wordpress on a VPS) and my friends and family are always asking why I don't try to get a job doing baseball stuff and aside from being woefully underqualified for any "real" job in the industry I think if I had to write X number of articles per day/week I would burn out in a month.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Humphreys posted:

The dickhead just wanted me to sit on his motorbike while he checked the oil. Grrr! Thanks!

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh hard enough my co-worker asked me what was going on, so I showed him and he started laughing too.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Fuuuuccckkkk yyyoooouuuuu forever. That's not my loving job.

Just say no.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
How do you explain to a new hire that installing Steam on his work laptop is a bad decision and calls his judgement into question, especially given that on his first day, he was instructed not to daisy chain power strips?

No, he's in his 60s.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
ME! I'm the think pissing me off today.

On Monday I made a ticket to get an account manually created for someone. On Tuesday, I got notified they already had an account and had been told so by the account team. So I shrugged and moved on.

Today they contact me and told me they still didn't have an account, and they hadn't heard anything back yet. So I went in to panic mode, trying to figure out where the mistake was. Talked with account creation team, and they verified the account was there. So I found the original ticket I made, and compared it to the email that was sent, in case I made an error in which system was needed, or something.

I completely hosed up the person's last name. They had the same first name, including spelling of someone in a similar position, but for how different the last names were? It's like Jackson vs. Smith. Seriously.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The build is broken the build is broken!!!!

*checks commit history*

code:
    MediaPlayersIndexMutex.lock();
    int next = MediaPlayersIndex++;
-   MediaPlayersIndexMutex.unlock();

-   MediaPlayersIDMutex.lock();
:eng101: So, uh, why did you push that change?
:v: Well just look at it! It literally unlocks and then locks again instantly.
:eng99: Uh.... read those variable names again..

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Not so much pissing me off as confusing the heck out of me, you can bind a server to the same port on different local hosts and as such localhost:3000 was routing to two apps simultaneously.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any OS worth a poo poo will be all "uh that port is already in use, gently caress off."

So which one let you do this?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's an HTTP endpoint then it's pretty standard to be able to differentiate by hostname

Edit: Oh wait they we both localhost? Strange.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

if its 2 devices then localhost is defined as an ip somewhere, if its on the same device then lol

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

xzzy posted:

Any OS worth a poo poo will be all "uh that port is already in use, gently caress off."

So which one let you do this?

The thirteenth version of the tenth operating system.

Thanks Ants posted:

If it's an HTTP endpoint then it's pretty standard to be able to differentiate by hostname

Not usually two processes on the same port.

Thanks Ants posted:

Edit: Oh wait they we both localhost? Strange.

One on `localhost` and one on `0.0.0.0`.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

pre:
ruby    26374   10u  IPv4 0xb743e3d52fabf5f      0t0  TCP *:3000 (LISTEN)
ruby    26594   21u  IPv4 0xb743e3d5f3c221f      0t0  TCP 127.0.0.1:3000 (LISTEN)
Edit: Looks like `locahost` will route to the localhost bound process until it's closed at which point it routes to the global bind which I guess makes sense.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 25, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah that's a pretty silly bug. Linux screws a lot of stuff up, but at least the kernel only lets one process open a port on an interface at a time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Half expected one to be IPv6 and the other IPv4 but nope

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I thought maybe one was on 127.0.0.1 and the other on 127.0.0.2, I think both should technically work as "localhost".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, that's a different address. Though there's no technical prevention from changing the config to make localhost resolve to something else, every machine on the planet defaults 'localhost' to be 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts or whatever equivalent file the OS uses.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

nielsm posted:

I thought maybe one was on 127.0.0.1 and the other on 127.0.0.2, I think both should technically work as "localhost".

in linux localhost is defined in the hosts file.

code:
$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
Not sure how its done in windows, but I assume the same way, so localhost will always address 127.0.0.1, even tho 127.0.0.2 would also work as a loopback address.

e:f;b. I will say I have some some weird poo poo with an app that used 127.0.0.69 or something like that hardcoded as the loopback interface it used.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

in linux localhost is defined in the hosts file.

code:
$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
Not sure how its done in windows, but I assume the same way, so localhost will always address 127.0.0.1, even tho 127.0.0.2 would also work as a loopback address.

e:f;b. I will say I have some some weird poo poo with an app that used 127.0.0.69 or something like that hardcoded as the loopback interface it used.
Debian-based distros will assign the hostname to 127.0.1.1.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

i just pulled that off an Ubuntu box so

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

anthonypants posted:

code:
dig localhost

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-9+deb8u15-Debian <<>> localhost
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 43034
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;localhost.			IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
localhost.		300	IN	A	127.0.0.1

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Sun Mar 25 13:08:50 CDT 2018
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 54

cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1	localhost
Really? Tell me more. :allears:

(That is FROM my Debian box.)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
There's no place like 127.0.0.0/8

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

i just pulled that off an Ubuntu box so
Maybe they fixed it? Here's a question from a Xubuntu user about a year and a half ago

Samizdata posted:

code:
dig localhost

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-9+deb8u15-Debian <<>> localhost
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 43034
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;localhost.			IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
localhost.		300	IN	A	127.0.0.1

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Sun Mar 25 13:08:50 CDT 2018
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 54

cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1	localhost
Really? Tell me more. :allears:

(That is FROM my Debian box.)
Are you telling us that the hostname of your Debian box is "localhost"?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

All dig does is a lookup. If you lookup localhost, it will tell you what it resolves to(normally 127.0.0.1, as shown).

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

All dig does is a lookup. If you lookup localhost, it will tell you what it resolves to(normally 127.0.0.1, as shown).
Yeah, my understanding wasn't that Debian changed that, but that they added the machine's hostname to /etc/hosts with the address 127.0.1.1. That wouldn't affect localhost resolving to 127.0.0.1 any more than assigning the hostname to an address outside of the 127.0.0.0/8 block.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Maybe they fixed it? Here's a question from a Xubuntu user about a year and a half ago

No. It's named Portia, but I didn't want to redact anything, so I just copied and pasted the text over, minus the prompt.

Besides, my whole point was "This happens. Always." answers. Not "This sometimes/used to happen" answers.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 25, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

anthonypants posted:

How do you explain to a new hire that installing Steam on his work laptop is a bad decision and calls his judgement into question, especially given that on his first day, he was instructed not to daisy chain power strips?

No, he's in his 60s.

Just tell him that a work laptop is not for personal use?

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Just let him play Into the Breach and use PDUs as extension cords, c'mon.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is Into The Breach good? It looked fun, but I still haven't finished FTL with every ship...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Glowing reviews from everyone i've heard talk about it.

Doesn't look like my thing though

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
I normally hate strategy games (especially turn- and grid-based ones) but every time I play it I end up engrossed for hours.

Paper Triangle fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 26, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Customer's ordering system allows them to place orders with due dates in the past. I'm sure for some reason this is intended behavior, but would like to know how/why that came to be (just for shits and giggles)

This works out great because if someone doesn't catch it on our end, and contact the buyer to fix the date, we get dinged for a late or missing shipment :haw:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bob Morales posted:

Customer's ordering system allows them to place orders with due dates in the past. I'm sure for some reason this is intended behavior, but would like to know how/why that came to be (just for shits and giggles)

This works out great because if someone doesn't catch it on our end, and contact the buyer to fix the date, we get dinged for a late or missing shipment :haw:

How often does this get abused? Because I can see someone less than ethical would go all out to reduce costs on their end by dinging your company left and right.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Co-worker is working from home today because "he woke up late."

Normally wouldn't care much, as he's slow anyway, but all this week coworker 2 has meetings about our new ticketing software, which means I'm the only physical presence at the desk. I'm not going to be able to get any actual work done. It's taken me 20 minutes just to write this 3 line post.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nothing quite like starting Monday morning with 31 layoff tickets, including a few for people I really liked.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So after this round of layoffs, my team which handles desktop support for multiple sites spanning the entire US will drop to a ratio of over two hundred employees to each staffer from the already difficult ~130:1. Ffffffffuuuuuuuuu it's time to go.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

AlternateAccount posted:

So after this round of layoffs, my team which handles desktop support for multiple sites spanning the entire US will drop to a ratio of over two hundred employees to each staffer from the already difficult ~130:1. Ffffffffuuuuuuuuu it's time to go.

While I agree that it's time to go, I'd like to figure out exactly how bad that is. Does that include coverage for days off needed for any reason? Is that a flat ratio of total employees to desktop, or number on-shift at a time?

Because it seems like over 200:1 might be generous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Avenging_Mikon posted:

While I agree that it's time to go, I'd like to figure out exactly how bad that is. Does that include coverage for days off needed for any reason? Is that a flat ratio of total employees to desktop, or number on-shift at a time?

Because it seems like over 200:1 might be generous.

Thankfully we don't really cover weekends, just business hours(but coast to coast), so thats flat all staff vs. all of my team.
And no, that doesn't cover the many weeks of vacation that are due every year.
The layoffs hit the company to an overall %, for some reason they hit desktop support at about a 30% higher rate than the company at large. And we were already understaffed by any metric you'd care to examine.