Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
40 year old virgin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
"puppetmaster" nobody cares about your fake personal life or your fake trolling, sorry.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
What is the efficiency benefit of bypassing a system that makes a forklift stop moving when you get out of it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ALFbrot posted:

What is the efficiency benefit of bypassing a system that makes a forklift stop moving when you get out of it

Sometimes you’re short handed and your forklifts are crappy and you need a special key to turn it on, if you have 6 forklifts in a warehouse you might only have 4 Keys, for example, so having to go get your supervisor every time you get out of the truck to restart it is probably one of many stupid reasons.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Here's 58 people that were hurt by not thinking critically"
*lists 5 people

I liked the entries for vegetarianism and GPS. pretty sure those two work

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ALFbrot posted:

go into OSHA thread and ask about Klaus, he's a real go-getter.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

loquacius posted:

I haven't sent in any confessions. Or really posted much in a while.

I met a girl

Funny how having some human contact reduces the urge to troll these gay forums.

Excuse me? These are dead gay forums.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I'm starting to believe social contact with others is never going to be enjoyable or worthwhile for me, and I'm somewhat worried about the potential health risks of that level of isolation.

I was raised as an only child, growing up in a rural mountain area where I had no neighbors and no real social contact for long stretches of time. My (single) mother decided to homeschool me, so I spent a lot of time alone in the woods or left to my own devices in my room. As a result, I've grown to enjoy solitude a great deal. However, when I went to college, I decided to try being social in a way I never had before, because I wanted to see what it was like. I spent my first semester trying to be as social as possible, joining clubs, making friends, and generally socializing a great deal. I even had a few girlfriends and a few one-night stands. It wasn't exactly as I had imagined it to be, but my life went from nearly zero social contact to a great deal in a relatively short amount of time.

However, I quickly realized that I wasn't being social because I actually enjoyed the people around me (despite their relative diversity of personalities/temperaments/beliefs and pleasant demeanor), but because I just wanted to try being social. The vast majority of interactions I had, be they small talk, deep conversations, games played together or even romantic encounters, were, in all honesty, devoid of actual meaning or enjoyment on my end. The more I thought about it, the less I felt like it was actually worthwhile to have these social interactions. This is not to impugn those I had social ties to; many of them were genuinely nice people who were very kind and accepting of me. I just felt like I was getting nothing out of the time I was spending with people, so I gradually withdrew from the social life I had created and focused more on myself. I tried going to therapists twice, but they both seemed unable to comprehend that I genuinely was indifferent toward social contact in the way that I've described.

Now, this isn't necessarily a problem. While I have no friends or other social contacts other than occasional contact with family and have not had any in the last 4 years, I'm not depressed in any way; I feel like my life is quite enjoyable and worthwhile. My only qualm is that I've read quite a few times that being alone is a leading risk factor for early death, disease, and so on. I greatly value my life, and I certainly wouldn't want to die early if I could prevent it, so I exercise, brush my teeth twice daily, and so on. It seems odd to state this, but I feel like health benefits are the only ones I will actually gain from interacting with people and establishing social relationships. However, this is problematic in the sense that it's somewhat cruel to establish friendships with people where I'm essentially treating them like humanoid multi-vitamins, so I'm somewhat apprehensive of making friends for my health's sake.

I suppose it's ironic I'm asking other people for advice on this issue, but I've more or less come to the end of my own ability to think through this topic alone. I harbor no ill will towards other people, but it just seems like a hard sell to spend my time doing something that I am generally uninterested in. I can concede the point that it's likely there's some people out of seven billion I'd enjoy spending time with, but the odds seem so infinitesimally low to the point where it seems like a fruitless endeavor, especially when the journey to find these mythical enjoyable people is not, in and of itself, enjoyable. Any advice would be appreciated, though I can admit that this might be too far removed from most people's lived experience to the point where it may preclude comprehension, as in the case of my two therapists. In any case, thank you for reading and trying to make sense of my small dilemma.

I think you should play an MMO :v:

Seriously though you should try to find some activities you enjoy for their own sake that also involve interacting with other people. The pressure to Make Friends is lower, and you'll still have a good time regardless, and you'll get enough social interaction to keep your The Sims bars full. And if you actually make some lasting friendships in the process, hey, bonus.

(imagining this anon as Nick Offerman btw)

quote:

I used to lead a small so-called neo nazi organization. I tried to raise young White men to actually make real change in the world to the benefit of our race. I tried to make them see that becoming educated and infiltrating the establishment and taking it down from the inside was the way to go, but I was continually disappointed. They wanted to go yell racial slurs in the street, beat up poor people because of their skin color, tattoo swastikas and worship hitler and generally just make a spectacle of themselves.

Idiots like these would be useful if we could form an actual base of power and just need bodies to tip things in our favor, but they would be disposed of afterward because they are clearly not true believers or intellectuals.

Look at groups that have been getting some press like the Atomwaffen Division. They are nothing but talk. They speak of causing nuclear meltdowns, yet aren't training their members to be nuclear engineers to infiltrate these places. They speak of overthrowing the government but are not involved in politics in any capacity. They are boys with words and symbols, not men who truly believe in defending their race.

I have not met a single ideologically pure person in my life. They are all alcoholics or mentally ill people who use a just cause for attention/infamy and don't care about anything beyond that. It disgusts me and I am done trying. The leftists have clearly won the war through mass indoctrination of our White youth and nobody has the balls anymore to stand up to those who are naturally beneath us.

the calm, collected, intellectual nazi

Hmmm, I wonder why the only people interested in white supremacy are dumb hooligans who want to break poo poo, and more educated types are never interested :thunk:

must be because the leftists have mass-indoctrinated our white youth :shrug:

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

loquacius posted:

Hmmm, I wonder why the only people interested in white supremacy are dumb hooligans who want to break poo poo, and more educated types are never interested :thunk:

must be because the leftists have mass-indoctrinated our white youth :shrug:

I for one blame the soy

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pretty sure it's the gay frogs that are to blame

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

That guy is the classic "idea guy" that is prevalent in basically every aspect of society. They have all the ideas figured out...yet never act on them themselves. You aren't going to convince a bunch of methheads that they should spend the next 4-6+ years in college getting nuclear/electrical engineering credentials just for a hypothetical plan to bring down our infrastructure.

Cinaedus Defututus
Mar 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't really like this because it implies some form of magic is real, just not the harry potter poo poo. I don't deny that some people have been helped by believing in magic, but they could have probably gotten that same help through learning better life skills directly without all the mysticism. It's those skills that are helping people, not the magic.

no, it agrees that "magic" is placebo effect at best

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Poor dude was born a century or so too late. He would have loved the late 1800's and early 1900's. But then depending on his nationality he probably wouldn't have been considered "white" either.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That guy is the classic "idea guy" that is prevalent in basically every aspect of society. They have all the ideas figured out...yet never act on them themselves. You aren't going to convince a bunch of methheads that they should spend the next 4-6+ years in college getting nuclear/electrical engineering credentials just for a hypothetical plan to bring down our infrastructure.

...'that guy' doesn't exist, and lmao that you think the character presented has it all figured out. Jesus. Imagine living in a world where you can accidentally recruit neo-nazis just by shitposting, what a time to be alive

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Cinaedus Defututus posted:

It's still stupid and misleading to call it magic though if you acknowledge it's all in your head.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
sending all the dumbass rednecks to school would be good for america but not in the way he thinks

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

420 SWAGLORD posted:

...'that guy' doesn't exist, and lmao that you think the character presented has it all figured out. Jesus. Imagine living in a world where you can accidentally recruit neo-nazis just by shitposting, what a time to be alive

...what? I was clearly being sarcastic and didn't feel it was necessary to say "in his own mind" after saying he has it all figured out. Settle down, beavis.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cinaedus Defututus posted:

But it's the wrong placebo effect don't you see

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

But it's the wrong placebo effect don't you see

it could be argued that the placebo effect is magic, given the fact that we don't understand how it actually becomes stronger if you know that you are taking a placebo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Whenever someone tries to pull the "what we don't know could be considered magic" argument I get a strong urge to poo poo

Cinaedus Defututus
Mar 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Whenever someone tries to pull the "what we don't know could be considered magic" argument I get a strong urge to poo poo

sounds like a magical connection between that and your bowel movements.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I led a small neo nazi group in the late 80s for the purposes of taking over the leadership of prominent knitting social clubs in our society - and it worked. be the change u believe in

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

loquacius posted:

I think you should play an MMO :v:

Seriously though you should try to find some activities you enjoy for their own sake that also involve interacting with other people. The pressure to Make Friends is lower, and you'll still have a good time regardless, and you'll get enough social interaction to keep your The Sims bars full. And if you actually make some lasting friendships in the process, hey, bonus.

(imagining this anon as Nick Offerman btw)
Some people just don't feel the need for friendship. It's unusual, but not unknown and not always a disorder (things are only disordered if they cause significant distress or impairments). I'm guessing the therapists you saw weren't very familiar with that, which is also not unexpected since the vast majority of humans are social. I think loquacius has the right idea that you've got to just find an activity to do with other people where you enjoy the activity itself, rather than trying to seek out social contact just to have social contact when you've got no desire for social contact on its own.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah anybody who went through and actually became a nuclear engineer is not going to throw it away by even attempting to cause a meltdown, even if it could be accomplished with one malevolent actor.

Isn't herding atoms the holy grail of American jobs? You get paid well for essentially your entire life with no chance of getting laid off ever (unless you gently caress up I suppose). You & your family would be pretty well set.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

RFC2324 posted:

it could be argued that the placebo effect is magic, given the fact that we don't understand how it actually becomes stronger if you know that you are taking a placebo

i thought it stopped working when you knew it was a placebo

interesting!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

802.11weed posted:

i thought it stopped working when you knew it was a placebo

interesting!

it was apparently screwing up studies so theyhad to investigate

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/placebo-can-work-even-know-placebo-201607079926

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Guy who uses people as multi-vitamins is a sociopath. Hope this helps

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

RCarr posted:

Guy who uses people as multi-vitamins is a sociopath. Hope this helps

Not very actionable advice, that doesn't help at all. Do you have any guidance for our sociopath?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Become a politician

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like every single “I don’t get social interaction” Post is someone soft pitching their “Am I secretly an Ubermensch?” fan-fic where they’ve cracked the code to humanity and they are obviously so superior to dumb people and their “comradery” and “culture” Like were not evolved for wanting to be around each other and this woke, isolated sad sack is the next phase of societal evolution.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 25, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like every single “I don’t get social interaction” Post is someone soft pitching their “Am I secretly an Ubermensch?” fan-fic where they’ve cracked the code to humanity and they are obviously so superior to dumb people and their “comradery” and “culture” Like were I evolved for wanting to be around each other and this woke, isolated sad sack is the next phase of societal evolution.

It would explain the whole 4chan/Neo-Nazi connection

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Isn't herding atoms the holy grail of American jobs? You get paid well for essentially your entire life with no chance of getting laid off ever (unless you gently caress up I suppose). You & your family would be pretty well set.

Have seen the Simpsons, can confirm.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
We badly need an update from Record Scratch goon, preferably in video form of her soon to be ex-husband’s idiot face as she drops the divorce papers hammer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like every single “I don’t get social interaction” Post is someone soft pitching their “Am I secretly an Ubermensch?” fan-fic where they’ve cracked the code to humanity and they are obviously so superior to dumb people and their “comradery” and “culture” Like were not evolved for wanting to be around each other and this woke, isolated sad sack is the next phase of societal evolution.

Eh, that’s true most of the time but I did t get that vibe very strongly from this post.

And yes, I too want a record-scratch update. God, what a douche.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

This particular antisocial goon seems to be perfectly fine without friends tbqh, they don't really come off as trying to sound superior or ubermenschy.

Antisocial goon, it's fine to not have friends as long as you're okay with your corpse not being discovered for several days if you have a heart attack at home

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sentinel Red posted:

We badly need an update from Record Scratch goon, preferably in video form of her soon to be ex-husband’s idiot face as she drops the divorce papers hammer.

gently caress that poo poo. We need therapy goon.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
did someone really post "magic exists" on the last page

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I’m a sex addict and regularly have sex with some pretty disgusting examples of humanity.

I work 4 day week and have Tuesdays off. I usually hit up the Walmart, Dollar General, or Five Below these afternoons. It’s typically an older, single woman. Lots of cat ladies. Lots of obese women. And a lot of women with very low self esteem.

I think if you know you are a sex addict and find yourself cruising Dollar General for tail every Tuesday it's time to admit you need help

quote:

I’m a survivalist and I 100% believe the end of days are upon us. Jerusalem becoming the capital of Israel was proof enough for me; Armageddon is upon us. And though it’ll be good eventually with the second coming, we need to survive before that.

To that end, I’ve sold my home and most of my possessions in order to create a perfect survivalist zone. I bought 4 acres of land and a bomb shelter which I had installed on that land. It’s miles from civilization. I have enough rations to last 12 years - my readings of the Bible lead me to believe that the Apocalypse will last 7 years, so I’m more than ready.

I have trained myself to fight. There will be a lot of heathen hoards in the early days looking for food and shelter. They will be met by my blade and gun. I also have traps set around my shelter - mostly bear traps and trip wires. But they’ll hold them at bay, too. I also doubt they’d get in the bomb shelter, but I do worry what happens if they commandeer a tank or something. Hopefully the natural terrain keeps me safe there, and tripwires could take out most of them.

I’m not one of those weirdos who fetishizes the apocalypse, I’m just being realistic here. Obviously there’s a concentrated effort to disarm the public, and it sure seems weird that it comes so shortly after Jerusalem.

The end of days are coming and they want us weak. The 4 horsemen are (in my opinion) already let loose. Obama (War), Soros (Pestilence), and Bezos (Plague). I don’t know who the 4th is yet, but have suspicions it’s tied to antifa and the 2nd amendment haters.

I wonder what it was like to be a crazy person before Trump

Must have been like having a crazy fetish before the Internet

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Survivalist goon: Please post in the bushcraft thread in Take a Hike! forum. I'm interested in learning some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
isnt it pestilence famine war and death