Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Finally saw TLJ tonight and enjoyed it, can’t really remember a Star Wars movie swinging me that much emotionally. Good stuff, light speed suicide was crazy. Thought Mark Hamill was excellent as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Have we seen one go off in Canon yet? That description is from Legends

Half the main cast of Rogue One were killed by them

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

More characters named after command line flags please.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 21, 2018

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

https://vimeo.com/260870644

Tried to embed this but vimeo isn't playing nice with the bbcode.

Vishass fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 21, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVvjZy6sscY

We've got remastered soundtracks for the PT and OT coming up

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVvjZy6sscY

We've got remastered soundtracks for the PT and OT coming up
:hellyeah:

Doesn't look like there's info on what material will be on them, but I hope the PT ones are as thorough as the OT has gotten in previous releases. There's so much great material from those scores that never made it to an album, and a lot that did but was edited the hell out of.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lord Hydronium posted:

:hellyeah:

Doesn't look like there's info on what material will be on them, but I hope the PT ones are as thorough as the OT has gotten in previous releases. There's so much great material from those scores that never made it to an album, and a lot that did but was edited the hell out of.

Would be nice to have "Heroes Collide"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpW1C43XCpk
"The Boys Continue"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GraaDCON6WE
"Boys into Battle"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RZwlvwSV_o

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

blackshreds posted:

Finally saw TLJ tonight and enjoyed it, can’t really remember a Star Wars movie swinging me that much emotionally. Good stuff, light speed suicide was crazy. Thought Mark Hamill was excellent as well.

Yeah it was real good

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ron Howard officially has the lone directing credit on Solo, while Lord and Miller are now credited as executive producers.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The priest from out of town really wants that boy and will do what it takes to get his hands on him.

its this. but the priest is a cop too

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

euphronius posted:

If she's didn't free the gungans she's not freeing schmi.

she manipulates the gungangs into using themselves as live bait too. I MEAN not to discredit boss nass's agency but that really is a thing that happens in episode 1. padme, not nice!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

sponges posted:

Qui Gon would’ve been completely justified just killing Watto outright and freeing them both. He’s a loving slave owner. gently caress him.

it's interesting to think about the pt jedi doing a slave revolt interventionist thing on tatooine but it leads to like like a neocon iraq type situation or a libya situation where everything ends up way worse than before

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

also for my quad post, not to be a hater but i think the last five williams scores are pretty meh. i say that having generally like all the films in question

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zas posted:

it's interesting to think about the pt jedi doing a slave revolt interventionist thing on tatooine but it leads to like like a neocon iraq type situation or a libya situation where everything ends up way worse than before

It kind of seems to me like when a fantasy property designed for kids tries to self-consciously import real-world “adult” elements, the poor fit makes the whole thing seem more juvenile than just trying to do it in a 100% cornball way.

Like Vietcong teddy bears fighting the empire is probably a better/more thoughtful politics take for Star Wars than Rogue One having suicide bombers blowing up Space Algiers and leaving a bloody, screaming nonwhite child for the camera to contemplate for a while.

This is kind of an undigested take—I might be overlooking some things.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

nah you're right it'd be stupid in an actual movie it's just more like, to all the people who are saying 'the jedi/senators should've freed the slaves' my answer is 'watch them gently caress it up somehow'

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Zas posted:

also for my quad post, not to be a hater but i think the last five williams scores are pretty meh. i say that having generally like all the films in question

What were his last five?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zas posted:

its this. but the priest is a cop too

It's some Sleepers poo poo.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

UmOk posted:

What were his last five?

I think he means every non-OT score. And I have to say, I do like each of his scores quite a bit, but when you listen to ANH and ESB on their own, they are incredibly head and shoulders above everything else. Part of it is that the instrumentation and arrangement were much more focused on woodwinds and strings, and I, II, II, VII, and VIII and are very brassy. Also his scores for other post-millennial films bleed together a bit. Its very easy to imagine the scores for Harry Potter being used in the new Star Wars films, or vice versa.

He's still a genius.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

For me the TPM score is second only to ESB. It's fantastic, with a mix of older themes and new material that feels distinct yet consistent with previous scores, along with things like Duel of the Fates that go in new directions for Star Wars. And not just new themes, although they're all solid too; there's a whole bunch of wonderful non-thematic music like the pod race flag parade, the "It's working!" scene, the establishing shot of Otoh Gunga, the arrival on Tatooine, the arrival on Coruscant, the escape from Naboo (a track apparently so good it was copied into every PT movie), etc.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 25, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Across the Stars" is among Williams' best latter-day compositions. Though that was sixteen years ago now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jewmanji posted:

Its very easy to imagine the scores for Harry Potter being used in the new Star Wars films, or vice versa.

Hedwig's Theme is more or less the Force Theme flipped upside down.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's kind of revealing that when people imagine the Jedi intervening to eliminate inequality, their go-to reference is to equate the Jedi with the Bush administration.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zas posted:

Just a hint: The reason places like Iraq don't go well for us is because we invade, kill 50x as many of them as, blow up a ton of unrelated poo poo and then patrol the streets running the place.

If all the Iraqis were slaves and mobsters it'd gone a little differently.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blackshreds posted:

The scenes that swang on my emotions were admiral Pink Hair being a psychotic, self-important rear end in a top hat and Finn doing everything he could to stop her before she got everyone killed

In the end she got everyone killed so :bravo:

Her self-important lesson-teaching talk-down bullshit did more damage than Jar Jar giving control to the empire, given there's like 15 rebels left now.

Eiba posted:

It doesn't restore her to her proper station, it elevates her to where she ends up from a not-notable background as the result of who she is, rather than who her parents were

If you think that scene was 100% serious you are hilarious. Either the intention was to misdirect people for the "big reveal" or JJ Abrhams will retcon Ryan "Smug as gently caress" Johnson's whole twist. It was just more of Johnson trying to piss all over everything so he could make his own trilogy. (Seriously 99% of Johnson's motivation for setting fire to everything was for his own vision, which I hope he never gets to realize)

Seriously Disney's loving mad if they put him on the job, they're loving mad if they keep Kathleen Kennedy in her position (instead of just "promoting her up" and away from the day to day, etc). I don't know how they're handling this so badly while they own the only IP doing a big sprawling universe decently well.

The movie was very pretty, very well produced, and very, very, VERY loving stupid by even Star Wars prequel standards. As shallow and good looking as a gold plated kiddie pool.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 25, 2018

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

The scenes that swang on my emotions were admiral Pink Hair being a psychotic, self-important rear end in a top hat and Finn doing everything he could to stop her before she got everyone killed

Her self-important lesson-teaching talk-down bullshit did more damage than Jar Jar giving control to the empire, given there's like 15 rebels left now.

You realize her plan would have saved everyone right? It's Poe and Finn that got everyone killed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

If you think that scene was 100% serious you are hilarious. Either the intention was to misdirect people for the "big reveal" or JJ Abrhams will retcon Ryan "Smug as gently caress" Johnson's whole twist. It was just more of Johnson trying to piss all over everything so he could make his own trilogy. (Seriously 99% of Johnson's motivation for setting fire to everything was for his own vision, which I hope he never gets to realize)

Seriously Disney's loving mad if they put him on the job, they're loving mad if they keep Kathleen Kennedy in her position (instead of just "promoting her up" and away from the day to day, etc). I don't know how they're handling this so badly while they own the only IP doing a big sprawling universe decently well.

The movie was very pretty, very well produced, and very, very, VERY loving stupid by even Star Wars prequel standards. As shallow and good looking as a gold plated kiddie pool.

Source your quotes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blazing Ownager posted:

Johnson didn't "set fire" to much. Rey not having a family and Snoke not amounting to anything are both pretty logical conclusions, and Luke being hesitant to teach Rey is the obvious punchline to the set up at the end of the TFA.

Johnson isn't smug for picking up on obvious foreshadowing, and his not pissing on anything for working from that.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Blazing Ownager posted:

The movie was very, very, VERY loving stupid

incredible commentary

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
With "Snoke" and "Dooku," there's enough evidence to identify a theme of paper tigers with silly names. Er, especially silly names.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

With "Snoke" and "Dooku," there's enough evidence to identify a theme of paper tigers with silly names.

The recurring claim that Snoke and the First Order are just losers ("cosplayers," "paper tigers") is a bit of a double-edged sword, because it means that the heroes suck so much that they're outdone by these idiots. If Snoke is Trump, then that means that the heroes are Hillary supporters.

That Snoke appears out of nowhere, without context, as a redux, underlines that the evil he and the First Order represent are basically illusionary. They're a distraction from real evil, which the heroes fight by handing out decoder rings.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 25, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The recurring claim that Snoke and the First Order are just losers ("cosplayers," "paper tigers") is a bit of a double-edged sword, because it means that the heroes suck so much that they're outdone by these idiots.

Maybe that's why the rest of the galaxy is largely unconcerned.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The recurring claim that Snoke and the First Order are just losers ("cosplayers," "paper tigers") is a bit of a double-edged sword, because it means that the heroes suck so much that they're outdone by these idiots.

This is an extremely on-point contemporary social commentary.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RBA Starblade posted:

Maybe that's why the rest of the galaxy is largely unconcerned.

That's pretty much exactly what I took out of the Canto Bright and DJ segments. There are real, definite actions people could be taking to promote justice, freedom, and goodness or whatever, but the Resistance is not doing them in preference to playing spaceships with the First Order.

Which directly leads to no one coming to aid them when they call for help.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Force Awakens was absolutely a movie born from the pre-trumpian neoliberal smugness that figured Justice would always win by default so why bother taking the Nazis seriously, so part of the fun of TLJ and the larger Disney star wars saga is watching these people desperately scramble for purchase after the real equivalent of The First Order actually loving won handily.

Caros
May 14, 2008

UmOk posted:

You realize her plan would have saved everyone right? It's Poe and Finn that got everyone killed.

You realize that refusing to tell her visibly shaken and demoralized crew about her plan is what led to Poe and Finn heading off on their own. That if she'd just replied 'There is an old rebel base up ahead, we are going to ditch the ship there and make the first order think they killed us.' rather than 'You need to trust me even as we lose ship after ship with no plan in sight' that he probably would have gone along with it.

She was a terrible goddamn leader who got everyone killed because she just assumed everyone should implicitly trust her despite their own fears.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, strict adherence to operational security doesn't really work in a ragtag Resistance

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Just wait for the novel about her that explains how she used to be an imperial officer, or something.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

That's pretty much exactly what I took out of the Canto Bright and DJ segments. There are real, definite actions people could be taking to promote justice, freedom, and goodness or whatever, but the Resistance is not doing them in preference to playing spaceships with the First Order.

Which directly leads to no one coming to aid them when they call for help.

Yeah that seemed to be the take away point.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Grendels Dad posted:

Just wait for the novel about her that explains how she used to be an imperial officer, or something.

She was in the Senator apprentice program with Leia when they were both kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

jivjov posted:

She was in the Senator apprentice program with Leia when they were both kids

Oh so Senators are like Jedi, too?

Burn the galaxy down.