Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

Yorkies are awful and whoever conspired to breed them I hope their souls are burning for eternity.

Sorry, they are in fact great dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Wrar posted:

I am still meat pregnant.

Wrar posted:

Yorkies are awful and whoever conspired to breed them I hope their souls are burning for eternity.

I can't help but think these posts are related.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was also meat preggers and I miscarried into the toilet earlier.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sorry, they are in fact great "dogs".

Fixed.

I have a cat that is more dog-like than most Yorkies.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

There's nothing wrong with Yorkies per se, but their recent popularity has got a lot of lovely breeders into them which has resulted in some odd and unpleasant traits becoming a lot more common than they ought to be.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think the governments completely ignoring puppy mills will completely destroy quite a few breeds, and that's not even considering the ones already completely ruined in the name of cuteness.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sorry, they are in fact great dogs.

No. They definitely are NOT great dogs.

Your up for a pet toll BTW

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No. They definitely are NOT great dogs.
Sorry, they are.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Your up for a pet toll BTW

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, overbreeding for inane "breed standard" horseshit properly fucks dogs up.

A healthy, normal Yorkie is a great dog. They're not meant to be some kind of frail handbag dog, but for my part I prefer Norwich/Norfolks.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Even though I am a cat person through and through, I will admit that Beagles and Dobermans are top tier dogs.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Designer dogs are poison

Working dogs are best dogs. Not the working group of most kennel clubs, but dogs that are bred primarily to do a specific job. Temperament and physical health are prioritized instead of aesthetics

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, overbreeding for inane "breed standard" horseshit properly fucks dogs up.

A healthy, normal Yorkie is a great dog. They're not meant to be some kind of frail handbag dog, but for my part I prefer Norwich/Norfolks.

The breed standard is 4-7lbs for a yorkie
I don't want to be the "I can put your car in the back of my pickup truck" :bahgawd: guy of dog breeds with my 85lb lab/shepherd mix, but even my family's 18lb whippet was bred to hunt rabbits that are about the same size as the ideal Yorkshire terrier

Even when you look at what yorkies are supposed to do, they're just not good dogs. They're supposed to be ratting dogs, but considering their hosed up jaws, spines, legs, eyes, and their entire, poorly functioning respiratory systems; my money is on the rats every day

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Door Frame posted:

Designer dogs are poison

Working dogs are best dogs. Not the working group of most kennel clubs, but dogs that are bred primarily to do a specific job. Temperament and physical health are prioritized instead of aesthetics

I don't want to be the "I can put your car in the back of my pickup truck" :bahgawd: guy of dog breeds with my 85lb lab/shepherd mix, but even my family's 18lb whippet was bred to hunt rabbits that are about the same size as the ideal Yorkshire terrier

Even when you look at what yorkies are supposed to do, they're just not good dogs. They're supposed to be ratting dogs, but considering their hosed up jaws, spines, legs, eyes, and their entire, poorly functioning respiratory systems; my money is on the rats every day

Pythons are pretty much a muscle tube designed to crush and swallow rats and it doesnt always work out

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Door Frame posted:

Designer dogs are poison

I'd say people are the ones that "poison" dogs. If pitbulls can be good dogs then yorkies can be good dogs, but any dog is a Good Dog™

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Door Frame posted:

Designer dogs are poison

If you feel the need for a small terrier, just get a Schnauzer. They'll have a vastly better temperment and personality than 99.9% of Yorkies.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Christ, I think I have a toothache coming on in a tooth that has a 25ish year old filling in a top left mollar. Whelp, this is going to throw a wrench in my next week.

Dull continuous ache and I think a bit of swelling...feels like my top and bottom teeth are touching earlier than they should when I close my mouth. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Christ, I think I have a toothache coming on in a tooth that has a 25ish year old filling in a top left mollar. Whelp, this is going to throw a wrench in my next week.

Dull continuous ache and I think a bit of swelling...feels like my top and bottom teeth are touching earlier than they should when I close my mouth. :(

I got all my lower fillings replaced about two years ago, got a molar yanked last year and was finally mostly tooth pain free.

And now my upper fillings are aching.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You have no idea how satisfying it would feel to be able to floss right now and its loving with my brain so hard

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I really want a labradoodle for our next dog, minimal shedding seems very appealing after this black lab mutt we have

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m in LA and I never want to leave holy poo poo

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m in LA and I never want to leave holy poo poo

Man, Michigan must be loving awful then.

Unless you're talking about the food or car museums.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

TT lives close to the Detroit Metro. I think literally anywhere else is a step up.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nm posted:

I haven’t really explored much of the US as an adult and I forgot what having constant sunshine was like

For instance, I forgot that in a good state 65F feels significantly warmer than it does in Michigan where the sun doesn’t shine

Rhyno posted:

TT lives close to the Detroit Metro. I think literally anywhere else is a step up.

Yeah I’m about 8 miles from Detroit and 14 from downtown. It’s pretty ok but the more I experience LA the more I think it’s not what I’ve convinced myself it is

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Yeah I’m about 8 miles from Detroit and 14 from downtown. It’s pretty ok but the more I experience LA the more I think it’s not what I’ve convinced myself it is

Michigan is a dirty gross hole.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I haven’t really explored much of the US as an adult and I forgot what having constant sunshine was like

For instance, I forgot that in a good state 65F feels significantly warmer than it does in Michigan where the sun doesn’t shine

At least in Minnesota when it is -20F, it is likely sunny. It doesn't help, but it is there, taunting you.

LA has its high points (food, cars to look at), but much of the rest of California has the same (though the cars aren't as good) with fewer downsides.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also today someone told me I looked like "that dude from Sum 41" and I've never wanted to murder someone so quickly before.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Do you look like a young Guy Fieri?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Also today someone told me I looked like "that dude from Sum 41" and I've never wanted to murder someone so quickly before.

Maybe he just mean you had a fat lip

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

Do you look like a young Guy Fieri?

No!

Elmnt80 posted:

Maybe he just mean you had a fat lip

:golfclap:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

Designer dogs are poison

That is exactly the point. A century of breeding for aesthetics is the problem. A "breed standard" beyond "yeah, I'd say that looks like a Yorkie" is nonsense.

And yeah, don't be the "only large dogs are proper dogs" guy.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Have a Dozer pic

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Border collies are the best dogs.

Just try and keep up.

E: As evidenced by the gate, the one on the right is a jumper, might even be part rabbit.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 26, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fermented Tinal posted:

Border collies are the best dogs.

Just try and keep up.

E: As evidenced by the gate, the one on the right is a jumper, might even be part rabbit.

My girlfriend's best friend and her fiance have a ~1 year old border collie and he's just the most lovable playful intelligent curious thing, such a sweetheart. Hyper energetic as well, of course. Absolutely wonderful.

My girlfriend's family have beagles and they're just lovely too, in a different, food-obsessed and very stubborn way :)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

NOTHING is more destructive than an unemployed Sheepdog.

Speaking of which, Mum n Dad just got a new kelpie. Meet Skipper!

He's already eaten 4 pot plants and destroyed a pillow.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ferremit posted:

NOTHING is more destructive than an unemployed Sheepdog.

Speaking of which, Mum n Dad just got a new kelpie. Meet Skipper!

He's already eaten 4 pot plants and destroyed a pillow.

I assume you mean potted plants, not that he's just mowing down some weed :v:

Wife and I were gone for the weekend, in-laws watched our dogs. I don't think they calmed down for over an hour when we got home, holy poo poo they were so loving happy.

As for fillings needing re done, 20+ years is a good run. I've had one fall out the same day.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

Rhyno posted:

Michigan is a dirty gross hole.

You're really trying to bait me here. My midwestern rust belt state is better than yours.

LA sucks. Michigan in the winter is so loving long and sometimes depressing (it's been sunny for the last week or two straight and it's really loving with me because it's always grey here in the winter, almost makes me thing it's going to be warm outside but nope) so going somewhere warmer during Feb/March/April always feels like removing a weight from you.

Summer here is awesome at least.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

You have no idea how satisfying it would feel to be able to floss right now and its loving with my brain so hard

Just think how much better your teeth are now.

This time last year, you could floss with a serpentine belt and use a tyre iron as a toothpick.

Now you only have to flash your beautiful nashers and ladies fall at your feet.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Never change, Australian Cricket :boonie:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

I really want a labradoodle for our next dog, minimal shedding seems very appealing after this black lab mutt we have

Just get a poodle. There's no reason to dumb it down with Labrador genes.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Getting onboard the loving breeding to show standards train. Had to put a 3 year old dog down just over a week ago because of a number of neurological issues. Ignoring how hard it is to have to put an animal to sleep that is so young and you have had since it was 8 weeks old the breeders are either ignorant of the problems which is a concern in of itself or don't care. I do work with Pug Rescue of New England because hey they are hosed up little mutants but it is not their fault the breeders however can all go to hell. If there was never again another pug born I would feel good about it because the sheer number of animals that are born with horrific problems and the breeder just tries to dump them off to rescues saying they will just put the animal down if we don't take it.

Example being a couple in Maine who breed their two Pugs that are already pretty hosed up but they carry a defective gene that causes 1 in 5 of the puppies to have a condition where the esophagus has slack in it so food get trapped on the way down and they cannot eat without being sat up in a high chair like a child and fed liquid food for their entire lives. They have dumped 3 puppies off on the rescue in the last 2 years all of which are hard to get homes for since most people don't want to deal with the hassle and they have tons of other issues as well that cost thousands to try and control. When confronted about this they just told us they were their dogs and they will do with them what they want and Animal Control just shrugged. So yep next year there will be another litter of Pug puppies born with a ton of problems and will never have a good quality of life but the owners don't care because hey people will pay thousands for each puppy and the ill ones will get dumped on charities or just put down.

I am a mix of guilty and angry about my Olde English Bulldogge I got from a breeder because I paid to buy her and so incentivised them to continue breeding. Of course there is always the upside to this and because the wife and I work with rescue organisations doing event work and fostering someone reached out about a Bulldog in Texas that needed a home with someone who had experience looking after the breed so he is on his way up this week to look at snow on the ground and be very confused. I will help dogs that are already here even when I know their breeds are unhealthy but I am against "pure breed" dogs because even the working ones are getting hosed up, take a look at show german shepherds for a good example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BigPaddy posted:

Getting onboard the loving breeding to show standards train. Had to put a 3 year old dog down just over a week ago because of a number of neurological issues. Ignoring how hard it is to have to put an animal to sleep that is so young and you have had since it was 8 weeks old the breeders are either ignorant of the problems which is a concern in of itself or don't care.

This was pretty much what happened to our Doberman, although he made it to 10 days before his 7th birthday. We got him at 10 months from my cousin, who was in the middle of a messy breakup with her deadbeat boyfriend who had bought him on a lark and pretty much dumped him with my cousin. Deadbeat boyfriend bought him from an Amish breeder. While his temperament and intelligence were incredible (he was seriously the best dog I've ever had, out of a long line of dogs stretching back to as far back as I can remember) and he didn't have any health issues from birth he died of osteosarcoma, which Dobermans have a genetic prediliction for and which breeders should work to avoid - but to the Amish dogs are just another form of livestock to make money off of.

• Locked thread