Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Covok posted:

Is Eclipse Phase 2nd Edition out yet?

There's some chat about it in the EP thread I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So there's a LANCER discord channel and Tom aka the rules guy has been dropping some spoilers for the upcoming revision which he imagines is going to drop sometime around April. One of the big changes is to how mechs work in the sense that mechs are now comprised of two parts, a core and a shell. The core is where your stats are kept and levels up like normal, gaining targeting bonuses, stats, ability to use more weapons, etc. The shell is then what you get by taking a specific license like the GOBLIN or VLAD, which can push your core's stats over the cap.

In addition each shell now brings with it a special unique ability similar to the ones you get in Titanfall, with each shell ability having a persistent passive ability as well as an active ability you can use 1/mission. He previewed a handful of them, the VLAD gets an aggressive active armor system that damages people who attack it and the active version makes it hurt attackers even more while blunting incoming close-quarters damage, the RALEIGH gets a built-in cannon that doesn't take up a weapon slot and can be charged up like the Unreal Tournament rocket launcher, the METALMARK gets a built-in cloaking system, and the BALOR has built-in nanohives which damage anything it touches and can be supercharged to take on a variety of functions that you can switch to at the start of the round. Oh, and the PATTON can saturate the entire battlefield with micro-mines that detonate if anyone moves too quickly.

In part this is intended to simplify character creation somewhat...your core is persistent across all your licenses so all you really need to do is apply the shell to it like a template whenever you switch mech builds...and in part to incentivize people to actually use the different shells instead of simply sticking with whatever and splashing around for the various bits of gear you want. GMS licenses don't have any shell abilities, but he mentioned that all of the shells have now been moved from tier 2 licenses to tier 1 licenses which means you can grab one as soon as you reach character level 2. A lot of the old license gear was reworked into shell systems so I don't know if that means new systems will be taking their place or if the licenses simply have one less piece of transferable gear which is now subsumed into the core system or what.

He also mentioned that the antagonists chapter is getting an extensive overhaul including guidelines for creating your own enemies.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Lemon-Lime posted:

1.6 should have a large setting infodump included, so that should help. I wouldn't expect the non-mech stuff to get fleshed out mechanics-wise, though.

I'd at least like to to get to the point where anything where you're not in a mech causes the game to grind to a halt before transforming into mother-may-I (I am in a game where mech battles are relatively infrequent and planning for them a large feature, so my character whose backstory did not justify any skills in planning basically just trains her wonder dog while the grown-ups talk because there's no way she can meaningfully contribute beyond random 50% rolls).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A LANCER game where mech battles are infrequent kind of seems like it's missing the point imo.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
God dammit, life lesson learned

If you realize you have a word puzzle in a D&D game, double check the spelling of all of the characters names :argh:

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

I'm currently playing in a D&D 5e campaign and my DM is asking for more backstory. I'm don't feel particularly good at coming up with that sort of stuff (esp fantasy); can anyone suggest some resources or prompts to help me come up with something?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

the onion wizard posted:

I'm currently playing in a D&D 5e campaign and my DM is asking for more backstory. I'm don't feel particularly good at coming up with that sort of stuff (esp fantasy); can anyone suggest some resources or prompts to help me come up with something?

Do you already have a background in place? I'd improvise from there, since most of those have some implied backstory. Alternately, could you ask your DM to ask more specific questions? It may be easier to improvise if there's a specific question they want to know the answer to, versus a vague "need more backstory over here."

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

Do you already have a background in place? I'd improvise from there, since most of those have some implied backstory. Alternately, could you ask your DM to ask more specific questions? It may be easier to improvise if there's a specific question they want to know the answer to, versus a vague "need more backstory over here."

Background is Hermit. The character's a Gnome ranger and we're playing in hoard of the dragon queen, btw.

I'm not exactly sure what the DM is after, more story hooks I think. I tried to talk to him about it at the end of our last session but it wasn't very productive (tbf it had been a very long session). I'll try asking about it before we start next time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, some questions I'd ask would be:

- is he a hermit by choice or by necessity? Could he be involved in something that makes it better for him to not live near anyone, either knowingly or unknowingly?
- was there a singular event that finally made him decide to pack it up and live far away from anyone? (Or if I felt particularly like being blunt I'd ask "what was the singular event...", because "no, just felt like it all his life" doesn't make for a great story hook :))
- does he get by completely on his own? Where does he get supplies, does he go to town once a month or a year, does someone come by occasionally; basically the question is "under the premise of being a hermit, any contacts or friends?"

Potential story hooks I'd be looking for are mainly "is there something from this character's past that could catch up with him" and "are there NPCs I could flesh out and have get into trouble".

e: alternatively, I'd want to find out if that character has any long-term goals, and make one the center of an adventure.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

A posse of six rangers (led by your character's older brother) were pursuing a band of outlaws lead by Butch Cavernish, a dwarven highwayman. The group was betrayed by their guide, and led straight into an ambush at Beholder's Gap. A friendly local found the smallest ranger (that's you!) barely alive after the ambush and saved your life. To conceal the fact that you lived, you and your new friend dug 6 graves (not 5) and put your name on the 6th. You have fashioned a mask from your dead brother's leather armour.

You will not stop until the Cavernish gang is brought to justice.

You are...

The Gnome Ranger.

Hi-yo Electrum! Awaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 25, 2018

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

AlphaDog posted:

A posse of six rangers (led by your character's older brother) were pursuing a band of outlaws lead by Butch Cavernish, a dwarven highwayman. The group was betrayed by their guide, and led straight into an ambush at Beholder's Gap. A friendly local found the smallest ranger (that's you!) barely alive after the ambush and saved your life. To conceal the fact that you lived, you and your new friend dug 6 graves (not 5) and put your name on the 6th. You have fashioned a mask from your dead brother's leather armour.

You are...

The Gnome Ranger.

I love you and this post.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Make sure to not give your character any family or loved ones or else you've lost

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Countblanc posted:

Make sure to not give your character any family or loved ones or else you've lost

I wish I could convey to other GM's that just because I have family that's still alive in my backstory, does not mean it's a license to kill/kidnap them at a moment's notice. It's tired, trite bullshit and it's really boring to play the "I'm a loner with no family" schtick for the upteenth time because I can't trust the GM to let my character have family that isn't some product to be stolen to antagonize the character.

This isn't to say them being kidnapped can't be done well. It can! But the second you mention that any family or loved ones are still alive in your backstory the GM will immediately want to put them in peril and it's just so lacking in imagination that I want to zone out and go to sleep whenever it comes up.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

the onion wizard posted:

I stole this off the WotC forums before they were deleted and it helps me sometimes:

quote:

The Ten-Minute Background

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile...whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum...more elements are encouraged!

[Example: Martin Tenbones]

1) He is a former pirate and retired adventurer and now owns a tavern in the city of St. Clarice.

2) He is outgoing and charismatic, and attempts to keep abreast of all the local gossip and juicy secrets that pass his way, because he believes that knowledge is power.

3) He and his former adventuring band fought against the forces of the pirate captain Craven, who was a major lieutenant for the current Dread Pirate Hellbeard. He used the wealth that he acquired to build his tavern, but he sometimes worries that the pirates may one day decide to find him and extract revenge.

4) Though he is still friends with most of his former adventuring mates, some of them parted the group on bad terms. His girlfriend went back to the sea to fight pirates once more, but he received word that her vessel was taken by Hellbeard and believes she was killed. He mourns her death.

5) Although he is retired, he can be convinced to adventure again if he hears that Sasha (his lost love) may still be alive, or if he is contacted by the White Foxes during a crisis (see secrets).

Step 2: List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game.

[Example]

1) I would like to see Martin reunited with his lost love and perhaps able to mend fences with some of his former adventuring buddies over the course of this campaign.

2) It would be cool to have Martin face and possibly defeat the Dread Pirate Hellbeard once and for all.

Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help in creating plots that center around your character.

[Example]

1) Martin is a member of the White Fox Society, a secret society dedicated to keeping Coralton free of tyranny and evil, as well as keeping local governments honest. He provides information and rumors to them, but can be convinced to take a more active roll if pressed.

2) Sasha LeBell, Marin's lost love, is still alive. She was captured by the Dread Pirate Hellbeard and has been kept as his captive for all these years.

3) (Example of a secret I might make up about your character): Not only is Sasha alive, but also she has escaped captivity and killed Hellbeard. She has taken over his ship and crew, and has turned to piracy out of bitterness. She now IS the new Dread Pirate Hellbeard!

Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.

[Example]

1) Martin's friend Audric Cwellen was one of his adventuring mate. Audric, a holy warrior in the service of the Goddess of Love, is the leader of the local cell of the White Fox society, and provides Martin with information and adventure hooks.

2) Another of Martin's old traveling companions, Aubrey LeVaine, is not as helpful as Audric, because they quarreled over the love of Sasha, and Aubrey is still bitter about losing her to Martin. Still, he can provide some magical support if Martin can convince him to let go of his hate.

3) Yebin Thistledown is a strange little creature from the Feywild called a gnome. Martin met the gnome in the Shroudmist Forest and saved him from a pack of Howlers. The Gnome makes all sorts of alchemical items and gadgets, and loves collecting odd souvenirs and items, as well as "recreational herbs." He operates a bizarre patchwork shop in the Rue Angélique district.

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.

[Example]

1) Martin remembers growing up in a tavern as a young boy, helping his mother with the cooking. This started his own interest in the culinary arts.

2) Martin remembers the panic he felt when he discovered that the ship he signed on to was a pirate ship after a brutal attack on a merchantman. He vividly recalls the smell of blood and burning timbers.

3) Martin often recalls the goodbye kiss he gave Sasha when she left him. No kiss he's had since ever compares to that memory.

[design notes for the example character] Martin began life as an atypical barkeep. He was a retired adventurer, but still young and vigorous enough to accompany the party on their adventures. His tavern became the party's base for a while, until the BBEG of the game let off a necromantic bomb that killed most of the townsfolk and turned the town into a Zombie Apocalypse nightmare. Martin survived, and he turned into a secondary character for one of the players as he became more important to the ongoing storyline. Most of his background came from this transition from NPC to part-time PC. After the campaign reboot, Martin returned to his role as the barkeep of the party's favorite hang-out, but the players like him enough that he might return to adventuring status in the future.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 25, 2018

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Slimnoid posted:

I wish I could convey to other GM's that just because I have family that's still alive in my backstory, does not mean it's a license to kill/kidnap them at a moment's notice. It's tired, trite bullshit and it's really boring to play the "I'm a loner with no family" schtick for the upteenth time because I can't trust the GM to let my character have family that isn't some product to be stolen to antagonize the character.

This isn't to say them being kidnapped can't be done well. It can! But the second you mention that any family or loved ones are still alive in your backstory the GM will immediately want to put them in peril and it's just so lacking in imagination that I want to zone out and go to sleep whenever it comes up.

I've personally found it far more entertaining to wait until the PCs have accumulated acclaim, riches, and status and then have family members start crawling out of the woodwork looking to mooch off of them. That may just be my group though, since I and most of my group all grew up with big chunks of our family tree being lovely white trash. So everyone just has their own unique strategies for how to deflect Auntie Gorgonna off somewhere when she's been hitting the hootch and wants to talk about how separate but equal mage schools "weren't as bad as the media makes it sound".

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Desiden posted:

I've personally found it far more entertaining to wait until the PCs have accumulated acclaim, riches, and status and then have family members start crawling out of the woodwork looking to mooch off of them.

What about trying a plotline with a sibling trying to launch their own adventuring career off the PC's fame/glory?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

What about trying a plotline with a sibling trying to launch their own adventuring career off the PC's fame/glory?

Concerned parents wanting their child to abandon this incredibly dangerous career path and just settle down with a nice girl/boy and continue the family baking business?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Broke: Some dude killed your parents

Woke: Your parents just killed some dude, better get back home and find out what the hell just happened.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My first DnD5e character operated on the goal of "My parents did something considered somewhat scandalous, I need to be out questing to uphold our reputation and associate us in the news with good stuff instead of bad stuff so that nobody believes it when word of the scandal finally gets out."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AlphaDog posted:

“I’m sorry, who said I would take this artifact across the Deathlands for free?”

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

You are...

The Gnome Ranger.

mods???

Every time I've ever played a ranger i've played it as a modern day texas ranger type with a gun who is hunting down outlaws so this isn't that far off.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I had a running gimmick with a character that her parents were academics who disapproved of her adventuring as a way to expand magical power and also constantly upset that she didn't write or visit enough.

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Cheers for the help, folks.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
:siren: New blogpost is up for Let Thrones Beware

Today's topic: Finally, a Unified Mechanic That's Good - Defining Game Principles pt. 2

This weeks' blog post examines the second two design principles of Let Thrones Beware. The unified mechanic; and short, interesting, and crunchy tactical combat. Read on and learn why LTB's non-combat resolution mechanic means there's finally a good skill system in town.

Finally, a Unified Mechanic That's Good - Defining Game Principles pt. 2

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone help me find a system to use in my upcoming table top game to represent platoon-level military operations?

I'll be running an Only War table top rpg (where the players are soldiers in Warhammer 40k's Imperial Guard. I want to represent three scales of play - the normal Only War scale of one squad (that's the rules as written), a "firefight" scale for multiple squads (I can just adapt the normal rules) and an "operations" scale that will involves platoons/companies and that I want to focus more on logistics (that's what I need help with).

Before I bore anyone with the homebrew that I was thinking up last night I wanted to check to see if anyone could recommend an already existing system. I'd list my requirements as:

Simple
3-12 game pieces per side, representing maybe 50-500 men
Involves the way troops need ammo, medicine, fuel, parts, rest, etc.

In my head I'm imagining a geographical hex map with unit chits on it, operating at a a platoon level around supply and fire bases and the main game mechanic being managing and protecting your own supply lines while disrupting and seizing the enemies. From PC games Unity of Command is the closet I can think of. I'd want it to resolve in 2 or 3 hours of play. We'd be playing over rule 20 so I don't need a physical copy, but I'd be happy to pay for rules if someone can recommend something.

If it we come up empty I'll try to clean up my home rules and maybe you can all help me arrive at something?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If I'm running a pulpy sci-fi space-commandos-fighting-space-Nazis campaign in FATE, what are things that people expect to be doing frequently enough to need detailed mechanical subsystems (I've already got alien species rules and starfighter combat rules)?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 27, 2018

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
One of the Rogue Trader books has pretty reasonable rules for army/fleet actions. Battlefleet Koronus maybe? They’re crunchy enough for players to engage with, but don’t have much bookkeeping.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Lemon-Lime posted:

If I'm running a pulpy sci-fi space-commandos-fighting-space-Nazis campaign in FATE, what are things that people expect to be doing frequently enough to need detailed mechanical subsystems (I've already got alien species rules and starfighter combat rules)?

Repairing / retrofitting/ obtaining nonstandard gear

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can anyone help me find a system to use in my upcoming table top game to represent platoon-level military operations?

I'll be running an Only War table top rpg (where the players are soldiers in Warhammer 40k's Imperial Guard. I want to represent three scales of play - the normal Only War scale of one squad (that's the rules as written), a "firefight" scale for multiple squads (I can just adapt the normal rules) and an "operations" scale that will involves platoons/companies and that I want to focus more on logistics (that's what I need help with).

Before I bore anyone with the homebrew that I was thinking up last night I wanted to check to see if anyone could recommend an already existing system. I'd list my requirements as:

Simple
3-12 game pieces per side, representing maybe 50-500 men
Involves the way troops need ammo, medicine, fuel, parts, rest, etc.

In my head I'm imagining a geographical hex map with unit chits on it, operating at a a platoon level around supply and fire bases and the main game mechanic being managing and protecting your own supply lines while disrupting and seizing the enemies. From PC games Unity of Command is the closet I can think of. I'd want it to resolve in 2 or 3 hours of play. We'd be playing over rule 20 so I don't need a physical copy, but I'd be happy to pay for rules if someone can recommend something.

If it we come up empty I'll try to clean up my home rules and maybe you can all help me arrive at something?

I believe Reign is supposed to have good rules for company level combat.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LeSquide posted:

Repairing / retrofitting/ obtaining nonstandard gear

I'm reducing gear purely to aspects, so that one should be covered.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kibner posted:

I believe Reign is supposed to have good rules for company level combat.

It’s abstracted beyond tactical hex combat, really.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I can’t imagine why you would run a tactical combat game in loving FATE

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

I can’t imagine why you would run a tactical combat game in loving FATE

The person posting about FATE isn't the person posting about tactical combat.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Oh ignore me then

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think that's just Warhammer 40K.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Do these starfighter combat rules include ramming and boarding? Because your players are going to ram and board a ship like the Jem'Hadar/Orks in 40k.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That reminds me of something: Is there an explanation in Traveller for how it talks about how space combat is a matter of sensors, since combat doesn't happen at visual range, but then there are also boarding actions with 18th century melee weapons?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Halloween Jack posted:

That reminds me of something: Is there an explanation in Traveller for how it talks about how space combat is a matter of sensors, since combat doesn't happen at visual range, but then there are also boarding actions with 18th century melee weapons?

I think it was justified as "other weapons are too damaging to the ship; if we're boarding, we want to capture it more or less intact and using most energy weapons, grenades, or high-powered gunpowder weapons would make that goal hard."

It's vaguely plausible I guess. Sensitive things in the bulkheads, modern armor being more or less resistant to lower-powered arms, fragile ship hull, etc. I think I remember that the frequency of boarding actions was somewhat contentious, though not nearly as bad as say, the existence of piracy.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, one of the key interesting points in Traveller is that there's no interstellar communications short of sending a ship from point A to point B, which is why worlds are still fairly diverse and relatively independent, and at least goes some way towards explaining piracy. I wouldn't say Traveller is perfectly consistent, but there are at least some interesting conceits as to why the world is the way it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Hypnobeard posted:

I think it was justified as "other weapons are too damaging to the ship; if we're boarding, we want to capture it more or less intact and using most energy weapons, grenades, or high-powered gunpowder weapons would make that goal hard."

It's vaguely plausible I guess. Sensitive things in the bulkheads, modern armor being more or less resistant to lower-powered arms, fragile ship hull, etc. I think I remember that the frequency of boarding actions was somewhat contentious, though not nearly as bad as say, the existence of piracy.

this reasoning would also imply that boarding actions would be borderline suicidal and therefore presumably rare though