Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Log082 posted:

I dunno, I didn't see any Japanese battleship ramming carriers after sinking everything else.

No sudoku yet, either.

Ah, I miss those days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That's not counting damaged (and thus probables)
Like I paid attention scrolling through a thousand damaged ships to get to the sunk category (and then out of curiosity kept scrolling past the capital ships to the cargo ships and good gracious that's a lot of reefs)

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
You can sort them by victory points, which I think is the easiest way to see all the big ships togeather.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just scroll by name, all the classes can be ordered alphabetically :shrug:

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
So is the AI too stupid to do anything against Grey St this point?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

CannonFodder posted:

He lost the Fuso near Efate, Jan 30 1943. I went to the spreadsheet of lucky ships to check the totals.

Allied BBs lost: Alabama, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota, Prince of Wales.
IJN BBs lost: Fuso

Only BC lost was the Repulse

CAs: 11 Allied lost, 4 IJN lost

CVs: 3 each

CVEs: 5 Allied, 4 IJN

CVLs: 2 each

All the more evidence that Carriers are worthless and the Kido Butai label should be transferred to the raiding force. :colbert:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

MA-Horus posted:

Holy poo poo 6000yds with BBs is like the WW1 Grand Fleet's wet dream, the Japanese ships would have a MASSIVE advantage in sheer volume of shellfire at that range.

Isn't that just about close enough that both sides could've started strafing each other with their respective antiair complement? :stare:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Tiger Crazy posted:

So is the AI too stupid to do anything against Grey St this point?

Massive Carrier Air Arm will end Japanese surface ships if they get a drop on them in decent weather during the day.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

My lucky ship finally getting a chance to shine! :toot:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love that the Johnston survived all that poo poo without a scratch.

That's a lucky-rear end ship if there ever was one.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Can I have as my lucky ship the William D. Porter (DD-579)? At the rate we're going she might actually show up!

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

wedgekree posted:

Can I have as my lucky ship the William D. Porter (DD-579)? At the rate we're going she might actually show up!

Sorry, already taken.
Took it in early days of the war if I remember right.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Jesenjin posted:

Sorry, already taken.
Took it in early days of the war if I remember right.

Aww! Thanks.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Remember I'm running as much on luck as anything else, this is. A backyard defense mission to that went well. If he Americans commit a carrier group in an assault on rabaul, this was is over but the dying.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Grey Hunter posted:

Remember I'm running as much on luck as anything else, this is. A backyard defense mission to that went well. If he Americans commit a carrier group in an assault on rabaul, this was is over but the dying.
At least Operation Charnel House will provide a whole lot of it :kheldragar:

I'm predicting over 100k dead pixelmen the first day of proper combat.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Grey Hunter posted:

The way the AI puts battle groups together, that could be two CVEs, four hospital ships, their other submarine tender, and three dozen landing craft full of engineers.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Allies arrive at Wake, and are met with fire.

Hmm, I should check the commander here.

Some Judy's find a hole in their CAP and exploit it!

Planes from the returning carriers tangle with Lightnings.

The Liberators they can deal with much more easily.

Down you go!

Their bombers get a small strike in as well.

It's a nice change when the enemy lose more planes than I do!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Why are we bagging so many more liberators?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Why is the allies score rising so fast? At least, it seems fast. A couple hundred in a day or two but it doesn't look like they've done much in your reports.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Plek posted:

Why is the allies score rising so fast? At least, it seems fast. A couple hundred in a day or two but it doesn't look like they've done much in your reports.

Maybe base points? I recall that the value of bases partially depend on a base's infrastructure, so improving a base makes it more valuable.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Grey is just getting into the spirit of things by grossly misreporting whats been going on. Give it another few weeks and we will suddenly start seeing massive air raids on the home islands with no explanation were they are coming from.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ikasuhito posted:

Grey is just getting into the spirit of things by grossly misreporting whats been going on. Give it another few weeks and we will suddenly start seeing massive air raids on the home islands with no explanation were they are coming from.

That would be the greatest meta LP ever. Grey’s already a legend but that would be amazing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A bunch of previously reported sunk Battle Ships turn up in Tokyo bay as the landing craft hit the beaches.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

algebra testes posted:

A bunch of previously reported sunk Battle Ships turn up in Tokyo bay as the landing craft hit the beaches.

and the Tokyo Bay fortress? turns out it never actually existed

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I see an image of a kid staring into a snow globe somewhere in the pacific.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It's a normal day of mass bombing.

We're getting quite good at bringing these things down.

Please hit the tanker.

We get a report that the enemy at Wake is wiped out by attrition. They must have only gotten a few men ashore. I now await the second wave.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Why are we bagging so many liberators

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Waifu JAAF Base Force is located at Kumamoto(102,59).

:forkbomb:

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
I suspect the resounding success of the liberator pilots has resulted in all of them going home? 25 flights, or whatever it was in the Pacific, and its back to sell war bonds or man the school house.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Well, unless you're in Cathcart's regiment.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it's carrier-based aircraft fighting the liberators, and maybe they have a few good pilots left. The land-based CAP can't cope because they're not as good. Maybe?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Depends on what altitude those bombers are coming in, how much warning the interceptors have, pilot and squadron leader skill, etc etc.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The fact that carrier-based zeros can bring down liberators on a consistent daily basis in 1944 has got to be one of the most War in the Pacific things to have ever come out of this thread.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Well, if they dropfire enough bombsmachine gun & cannon rounds in the general direction of a boatplane from several thousand feet abovebelow then they have to hit something eventually, right? Let's say it's a 0.1% hit rate!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 27, 2018

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

If level bombers can hit a moving ship in this game, we can drat well bring down liberators in 1944.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

RZApublican posted:

The fact that carrier-based zeros can bring down liberators on a consistent daily basis in 1944 has got to be one of the most War in the Pacific things to have ever come out of this thread.

An A6M5 is reasonably capable of shooting down a Liberator

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Zeros have cannons. They're decently armed.

Oscars are not.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

If level bombers can hit a moving ship in this game, we can drat well bring down liberators in 1944.

I’m pretty sure I recall reading about a B-17 getting a hit (as in 1) on a Japanese carrier at some point in WWII.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 27, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Murgos posted:

I’m pretty sure I recall reading about a B-17 getting a hit (as in 1) on a Japanese carrier at some point in WWII.

Possibly aside from them ineffectually bombing the already abandoned and sinking Ryujo (and I'm not sure if they actually hit it), I'm not aware of any instances of B-17s landing even one bomb on any of the carriers. The only other instance seems to be one landing a single bomb for minor damage on Chitose, but that was done when she was still a seaplane tender and had not yet been converted into an aircraft carrier.

You might be thinking of this picture...

which was indeed taken by a B-17 (one of 12) that attacked the Japanese carriers during Midway, but none of them actually hit anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
With all the successes battleships have been having, I wonder if in this timeline the Montana gets to roll out? :getin:

Not to nerd out about alternate history, but it is fun to try and armchair admiral what lessons might be learned from this Pacific War where surface combatants had a chance to shine, while carriers (albeit with some successes) are noticeably far less noticeably in shining.