Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Well so far my possible breakthroughs have included eternal fusion, the double solar, and the double wind ones. Guess energy won't be a problem. If I get super conducting computing I'm in Valhalla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i have a bad case of continual restart syndrome so here's my latest setup

future domes to show the growth pattern, i'm probably going to build that one in the far distance next for the rare metals. the one off-center dome probably wont get built

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
Is there a spreadsheet of input/output for power and manufacturing? I'm bored as hell at work and it'd be neat to figure out how many of X can support Y. I feel like I go overboard on solars and that's why I'm always out of metal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I strongly suggest just not using solar panels, I genuinely haven't found any use for them. Their maintenence and setup costs are higher than wind and they generate less power. You can also make wind into a mostly daytime thing by just building accumulators, and polymer blades are available quite early once you get polymer production up.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The only time solar makes sense is if you've unlocked the related wonder

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kilonum posted:

The only time solar makes sense is if you've unlocked the related wonder
You mean the artificial sun?

They don’t seem so bad (I haven’t actually watched maintenance drones much though) if you get the thing where they de-dust themselves while closed.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I'm currently trying a solar-only game after realizing in my last game how annoying the maintenance on wind power can be. Electronics are expensive and hard to make. I'm using more polymers now, but they are cheap to make.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mike the TV posted:

I'm currently trying a solar-only game after realizing in my last game how annoying the maintenance on wind power can be. Electronics are expensive and hard to make. I'm using more polymers now, but they are cheap to make.

You... don't need electronics or polymers for either wind or solar power...

Wind power uses machine parts and solars use metal, metal processes directly into machine parts very quickly. You're trading increased output for a trivial amount of labour input to process the parts.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
Yeah, as I said I think this all comes from me having poor production standards.

I generally find myself really lacking machine parts, which is why I lean on solars...then I'm out of metal, and there's no deep deposits to mine....and then it all goes downhill.

It sounds like I should start production of machine parts right out the gate in Dome 1?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Acula posted:

Yeah, as I said I think this all comes from me having poor production standards.

I generally find myself really lacking machine parts, which is why I lean on solars...then I'm out of metal, and there's no deep deposits to mine....and then it all goes downhill.

It sounds like I should start production of machine parts right out the gate in Dome 1?

It's not a bad idea, the factory is an investment but I find it very good to just drop it in, do a big run of production with it to stock up, then turn it off when it hits its maintenence clock until you need to use it again, saves on electronics upkeep for the factory.

Machine parts are really only a headache if you don't buy a factory, otherwise they're just part of your metal budget. And the ability to build turbines for 1 metal (parts) + 4 concrete is a LOT more efficient than using 4 metal directly on a solar.

Honestly I'd say if you doubled the output of solar panels they'd be competitive, or added a map condition that made wind less effective, but as it stands they're just naff.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 25, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm slowly turning to dislike wind for the simple reason that having a large amount of them spinning while at max speed is really annoying to look at. Meanwhile solar panels lazily turn as the day progresses. I'm still using wind because it's gloriously efficient at heights, but wish I had the tech for more efficient solar.

What's this talk about shutting stuff down at night? Why/what stuff would you shut down? All I can think of that I can shut down at night is concrete, and I need a bunch of that in order to build my first dome (which, in turn, I want asap so I can get martian born & research boosts). Also manually shutting down stuff like water/air every night sounds really tedious and a recipe for disaster when I forget to turn stuff back on.

Sell me on shutting stuff down at night?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
It would be awesome if you could power things conditionally, like between certain hours, or shut off your water extractors\moxies if all the tanks on the network are above a certain threshold.

I know water extractors and moxies scale their production based on demand but I wonder, does their maintenance scale accordingly?

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 25, 2018

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

You... don't need electronics or polymers for either wind or solar power...

Wind power uses machine parts and solars use metal, metal processes directly into machine parts very quickly. You're trading increased output for a trivial amount of labour input to process the parts.

Whoops, early morning phone posting. I meant Mechanical Parts for the wind turbines. They cost a lot and I kept being low on them. It was annoying.

So I made a Solar-only game. The maintenance for solar panels is just 1 metal, so they are stupidly-cheap. Batteries (power accumulators) cost polymers and use polymers for repair. Once you have a Polymer Factory, they can be made easily out of just water and fuel. Even in my poor-playing early games, fuel and water are not hard to come by, meaning that the Solar+battery combo is the cheapest/easiest option for me.

Also, I am bad at the game, so I'm sure I'm not playing "optimally"

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Mike the TV posted:

Whoops, early morning phone posting. I meant Mechanical Parts for the wind turbines. They cost a lot and I kept being low on them. It was annoying.

So I made a Solar-only game. The maintenance for solar panels is just 1 metal, so they are stupidly-cheap. Batteries (power accumulators) cost polymers and use polymers for repair. Once you have a Polymer Factory, they can be made easily out of just water and fuel. Even in my poor-playing early games, fuel and water are not hard to come by, meaning that the Solar+battery combo is the cheapest/easiest option for me.

Also, I am bad at the game, so I'm sure I'm not playing "optimally"
I do the same thing. It's probably not "optimal," but it's a low stress way to get yourself into the mid-game.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I got to sol 188 with little micro by building overlapping drone networks and shuttles. My colony died due to a failure cascade of not enough machine parts and computer chips. I don't wanna micro manage with taking poo poo from location to location with a rover. Starting to not like the game. Rip.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

double nine posted:

I'm slowly turning to dislike wind for the simple reason that having a large amount of them spinning while at max speed is really annoying to look at. Meanwhile solar panels lazily turn as the day progresses. I'm still using wind because it's gloriously efficient at heights, but wish I had the tech for more efficient solar.

What's this talk about shutting stuff down at night? Why/what stuff would you shut down? All I can think of that I can shut down at night is concrete, and I need a bunch of that in order to build my first dome (which, in turn, I want asap so I can get martian born & research boosts). Also manually shutting down stuff like water/air every night sounds really tedious and a recipe for disaster when I forget to turn stuff back on.

You realize you can click on the shift icons in various buildings to turn them off during that part of the day to set it and forget it, right? Then if you do have some kind of disaster which needs everything on right away, you can ctrl-click to toggle every building of the same type at once.

Assuming that's not the issue, I can think of a few scenarios, mostly relevant only in the early/mid game:

- You're using solar, which obviously does not produce at night. Your # of batteries is such that even if they have enough charge to power everything, their discharge rate is still limited to the point that they cannot keep up with demand.
- Maybe you're using solar, maybe not, either way you don't have enough power to power everything running at once. Since manned factories are usually running only during daytime hours, you turn off some of your unmanned buildings in daytime and turn them back on at night to keep energy use constant.
- You recently increased your life support capacity such that you're overproducing water / air, and are already at storage max. You can turn some of it off at night to save energy while still remaining net positive.

Most of this is entirely unnecessary with a small excess of electricity production or battery capacity, but you can squeeze out a little efficiency if you lack those.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

double nine posted:

You can set water extractors/moxies on shifts. Useful if you're trying to go solar heavy (just make sure you've got enough excess daily production to re-fill storage).

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Breakthrough: positronic brain! I can now build immortal colonists that wont spawn billions of children! Downside is that they take ages to build and need electronics.

Breakthrough: Cloning vats! I can now clone my colonists, but they age and die twice as fast!

Oh man... this game is going to be utterly glorious or a massive, massive dissapointment.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

double nine posted:

just to have tiers between "always on" and "on during daytime" for essential/nonessential stuff, so that you can more easily manage machine part consumption before your domestic production is up. anything which would matter if you turn it on or not has shifts you can access so you dont have to micro it, you can just set them to be off during the late shift. this is mostly because machine parts are critical in the early game and instead of popping windmills everywhere you can mix windmills and solar to provide consistent power without having to ship in crate after crate of parts from earth

fuel refineries are productive enough, and polymer factories not so thirsty for fuel, that you don't have to keep the refineries running all the time to meet your fuel demands

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

vandalism posted:

I got to sol 188 with little micro by building overlapping drone networks and shuttles. My colony died due to a failure cascade of not enough machine parts and computer chips. I don't wanna micro manage with taking poo poo from location to location with a rover. Starting to not like the game. Rip.

Yeah this was my issue with my drone daisy chain. Water broke on my southmost dome, and all my machine parts were at the northmost universal hub. For whatever reason, the drones weren't dividing them up like I was led to believe (I did check, there was universal depots in each overlap). :iiam:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I see your points, I also have only played easy maps as I learn the systems, so I might not have grasped the need for it. I just like to put buildings down and not have to look back at them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

double nine posted:

I see your points, I also have only played easy maps as I learn the systems, so I might not have grasped the need for it. I just like to put buildings down and not have to look back at them.

i'm not claiming this is good for high level play, but i do think it's easier to get into the mindset of long term sustainability if you design your infrastructure around smaller, closed systems where possible, instead of tacking on to one large interconnected network with increasingly weighty inputs and outputs. the UI makes this a chore tho because it calculates net production/consumption across all networks

Doctor_Acula posted:

Yeah this was my issue with my drone daisy chain. Water broke on my southmost dome, and all my machine parts were at the northmost universal hub. For whatever reason, the drones weren't dividing them up like I was led to believe (I did check, there was universal depots in each overlap). :iiam:

"reshuffle goods between depots" is pretty low on the drone task priority list. they'll gradually trickle over, especially if you forbid non-necessary goods. in an emergency though i'd just use the rover, drone daisy chains aren't reliable at long distances but it can work with sufficient attention

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 25, 2018

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I tend to put everything on the same network so if there is an incident somewere there is backup.
With tanks on each dome and valves I can isolate them if needed.

What I can't find an easy way to do is exploit metal or water from the other side of the map, seeing that having said ressources at main base is the whole point of the operation I can't have them self sustaining.
Seem the best way is to daisy chain drone controler then build a tunel (or chain a few if needed) so you have a reliable pipe/cable.
Then have a dedicated rover to haul the metal to/from mining outpost as it would use too much shuttle time.
But it is a very expensive operation, probably only worth it for deep deposit.

In other new, I just beat the Wildfire and got rewarded with a free space elevator tech, in conjuction with the mohole wonder this make things ridiculously easy.
To think that 10 sol ago my colony was on the brink of instinction with all those old people, empty deposits, infected people and having to lose a lot of food...

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Buildings seem to require maintenance at a similar rate whether you're running them for 1 shift or 3. And you really should be putting a machine parts factory in your first dome every time because half of your entire life support chain requires machine parts.

Closed stirling generators never require maintenance I'm pretty sure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The rovers are there for precisely that reason, you send an RC rover with drones where you want to build, ferry the supplies there with a transport rover, and then ferry back whatever you produce. Later on shuttles exist to automate the process.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what is this and how do I profit from it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

double nine posted:

what is this and how do I profit from it?

As far as I know it tends to have polymer deposits around it but otherwise I don't think it does anything. Maybe it generates dust?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Man all these screenshots of maps with actual water and metal deposits, my last few games have been on maps with like zero resources. There will be a lone low grade water a square or two away and literally no metal or rare metals anywhere on the map close enough to extract with a single dome.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I got the Breakthrough tech that lets (makes) my seniors continue to work until they die of old age. I like to imagine they just read some of the posts in this thread.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Man all these screenshots of maps with actual water and metal deposits, my last few games have been on maps with like zero resources. There will be a lone low grade water a square or two away and literally no metal or rare metals anywhere on the map close enough to extract with a single dome.

You don't have to settle on the first square they give you scanned for free. On my very first rocket, I make sure to bring a couple extra probes. Then I'll hover over the map to find squares that say very high chance of regular and rare metals, and probe the ones that have water / concrete / flat terrain nearby for building.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

You don't have to settle on the first square they give you scanned for free. On my very first rocket, I make sure to bring a couple extra probes. Then I'll hover over the map to find squares that say very high chance of regular and rare metals, and probe the ones that have water / concrete / flat terrain nearby for building.

Every single time I've done this I've found nothing. :(

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
If you bring a couple of probes you can also scan until you run out, then go to the menu and restart the map. Do this a few times until you find a decent area to start in.

From my experience the hint on tiles of what deposits it is likely to have does not differentiate between underground and deep resources, so that tile that says water and has nothing you may rescan to have a deep water deposit later on.

Also I am now fairly sure the indicators when you select the map site do not affect the amount of resource veins, just the quality and quantity of the veins themselves on average.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Buildings seem to require maintenance at a similar rate whether you're running them for 1 shift or 3. And you really should be putting a machine parts factory in your first dome every time because half of your entire life support chain requires machine parts.

correct, as far as i can tell. maintenance is a function of dust collection, not usage. turning buildings off does not save on maintenance from my testing

Closed stirling generators never require maintenance I'm pretty sure.

correct, stirling generators are powerful but expensive for this reason. 10 power constantly forever with no maintenance, but you have to pay up front, and even when you boost them to 20 power they only consume polymer for maintenance which is cheap

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe turning them off if they are in a dome does turn off the maintenence clock, but outdome buildings yes degrade over time regardless of use.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I tend to mix solar and wind and keep building batteries as I go—I’m rarely short of polymer for the upkeep. It would be nice for the UI to communicate better about separate grids, but I get that the game is kind of built assuming you’ll have one big one.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Solar is useful early on but has a hidden cost. Your batteries can only discharge up to 20 power each, so for large bases you need a lot of batteries which means not only are you paying the solar panel maintenance, you also have to pay the maintenance for the extra batteries to cover their night-time output.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I don’t know if this is obvious but I bet at least somebody hasn’t found out yet: wind turbines generate more power at higher elevation; the disparity is visible within a map and I think it’s visible between two maps that have different elevation values according to the Mars-globe map model. I haven’t played on Olympus Mons yet to check how much they output there.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
While it doesn't show on the colony overview, you can click on the individual power/support objects and it'll show the stats for that grid only. For solar power, I always build in blocks of 6 panels and one battery which together output 20 power for a full sol so it's easy to keep track of.

Pirate Radar posted:

I haven’t played on Olympus Mons yet to check how much they output there.

On Olympus Mons it goes up to about +86% before any other multipliers.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Olympus Mons is also dust devil and dust storm city so hope you enjoy those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
Just got hit with my first meteor storm. We've got about 12 hours left. It's absolutely terrifying.