Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Muppets On PCP posted:

that's true in a general sense but rick santorum hasn't held elected office in over a decade

That doesn't really matter. If he ever questioned the NRA or didn't toe that line he'd be out of the club. Does he still write books, get paid to give speeches, or otherwise have some sort of seat in the party? If nothing else I wouldn't put trying to get another run at some office past him. He was a member of the GOP clown car in 2012 and 2016. It'd shock me if he didn't take a seat again in 2020. If the NRA declares him an unperson he'll never hold office as a Republican ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

the small arms industry response
Go watch some videos of SHOT. The small arms industry is awful at marketing and communications even at their own trade show.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Generic American posted:

Rick Santorum is floating a bold new strategy this morning in response to the marches... Essentially, "these kids are being lazy, because they're just asking politicians to do something about all of their problems instead of putting in the hard work themselves, like taking a CPR class (for bullet wounds???) or taking a stand against bullying."

e: found a decent video of that moment.https://twitter.com/juacura60/status/977905105071730689

The fundamental principle of conservatism is that all problems should be addressed on an individual level, and group action is not legitimate. Of course, our modern Republicans only believe that when it's convenient- if these kids were marching against gay rights, you know Santorum would be in love with them.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That doesn't really matter. If he ever questioned the NRA or didn't toe that line he'd be out of the club. Does he still write books, get paid to give speeches, or otherwise have some sort of seat in the party? If nothing else I wouldn't put trying to get another run at some office past him. He was a member of the GOP clown car in 2012 and 2016. It'd shock me if he didn't take a seat again in 2020. If the NRA declares him an unperson he'll never hold office as a Republican ever again.

eh, he's a 2nd string hanger on at this point mostly focused on the christian direct-to-video entertainment grift

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

that's true in a general sense but rick santorum hasn't held elected office in over a decade

what's interesting to me is that there isn't a ready-made rebuttal to this round of pro gun-control activity beyond attacking children. and it's not just 3rd rate hangers on like santorum; this was the president's daily briefing this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcRrDUasb7s

and the nra themselves have massively ramped up online ad spending but they're just dumping it on toy unboxing youtubes. i dunno if it rises to the level of panic, but compared to previous mass shootings the small arms industry response doesn't seem to be as well-thought out in terms of public manipulation and normalizing these events

as i and others have said in other threads. i think The NRA got complacent after sandy hook. now the youth and decent portion of the country hate trumps guts and after loving up responding to school shooting. people are pissed and want change. the NRA lost most of its sane leadership/spokespeople decades ago, its just the nuts now. and it shows. they will lose but it will be a long fight.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oops

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

He's still got a presence in the Evangelical and Religious Right movement but as we've seen that movement has really been hosed with by Trump and there's a divide between people who, you know, are actually religious and meant what they said and the ones who showed its all lip service by supporting Trump unconditionally. Santorum wasn't a good enough politician to navigate the Right pre-Trump and in this new world he's even more marginalized.

And the district he once held just went to a Democrat for like the third time in 100 years or something.

Santorum has this lingering presence to over 40 Religious Conservatives and Pro-Lifers who are still pretending Trump isn't actually happening or that he's a secret Democrat or something. He'll keep getting speech opportunities and articles and weird rear end christian movies or something as long as he doesn't do anything risky like speak out against Trump or the NRA. But beyond that he's a dead politician and I'd bet on that. He's not one of these "deplorables" who might ride in on a theoretical Trump ticket in 2020. He's just making nice with them to salvage his value.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Man I miss pre-baby jar santorum .

Where the thing he was famous for was almost saying the n-word.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as i and others have said in other threads. i think The NRA got complacent after sandy hook. now the youth and decent portion of the country hate trumps guts and after loving up responding to school shooting. people are pissed and want change. the NRA lost most of its sane leadership/spokespeople decades ago, its just the nuts now. and it shows. they will lose but it will be a long fight.

i think there's a little more to it than that though. if it happened in a poor rural school 50 miles away from parkland there wouldn't be anywhere near this level of sustained protest

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

PhazonLink posted:

Man I miss pre-baby jar santorum .

Where the thing he was famous for was almost saying the n-word.

Oh, right, when he’d called Obama a “government ni-.” Did he ever give an explanation for that?

And who was it who complained about “blah people?” Rick Perry?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jurgan posted:

Oh, right, when he’d called Obama a “government ni-.” Did he ever give an explanation for that?

And who was it who complained about “blah people?” Rick Perry?

No, that was Santorum also.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Generic American posted:

or taking a stand against bullying."

So why exactly has this become the Generic Right Wing Talking Point all of a sudden? All the usual local shitheads are now Very Concerned about bullying

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

So why exactly has this become the Generic Right Wing Talking Point all of a sudden? All the usual local shitheads are now Very Concerned about bullying
"I think what we need to do in the aftermath of these school shootings is to have a serious conversation about anything except guns."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Just a distraction from gun control. They're gonna try all the options.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed. So how did these terrible Soros-plants fail conservatism back before they became paid shill crisis actors? Well they must have dressed that way and been asking for it been bullies and forced that misunderstood christian boy to shoot them.

Fortunately Ivanka has an anti-bullying platform. We should give them a chance to fix this country, not these immature teenagers who don't know how the world works. Coming up on Fox we have an 8 year old trained to vomit talking points on command. Just don't ask him to define the bigger words.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

It's an easy way to absolve the shooter of having agency in the situation- and by extension, the fact that the shooter had guns. Once you make the conversation about bullying, regardless of whether it was even a factor or not, the whole discussion becomes about everyone BUT the shooter. Because once a person decides to do such a horrible thing, "obviously" there's no way to stop it. Nope, not a thing can be done, so might as well not even talk about those and instead focus on what made him want to do that horrible thing with the weapon that had NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING.

Because with this line of thinking, the shooter isn't a person with responsibility for their own actions, but this unstoppable force of nature like a tornado or flood. Sure, you pay lip service to the fact that they did a bad thing, but they were the one holding the gun, so you can't really blame them on a substantive level. The only thing you can do is throw out vague platitudes about how they were clearly just evil (ex. Adam Lanza; something that can't be stopped and must simply be endured), or a victim of their own environment (such as the Columbine myth of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, implying that any violence was almost karmic in nature and traces back to before guns were even involved.)

And in Santorum's case, it also serves to further discredit the fundamental idea of government. In that clip, he's downright aghast at the prospect of people actually demanding that politicians do something about a problem. You know, their actual loving job, and yet he's treating it as a foregone conclusion that them asking elected officials to do ~literally anything~ to help is like flagging down the waiter at a restaurant and demanding that they go across the street and buy you a new shirt because you spilled some on the one that you're wearing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The "stop bullying" is a distraction like other posters have mentioned, but it's also a thinly veiled CYAing for being a miserable rear end in a top hat no one wants to hang out with. By framing it as bullying, it's nice narrative that puts all of the blame at the foot of the victims because I mean, come on, they all had it coming to them since they were so mean and polarizing, also I'm just telling it how it is and I demand to be given an invite to Thanksgiving where I will be dropping n bombs in front of your 3 year old.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Some conservatives do fantasize about murder. If you have an arsenal, you think about having to gun down your neighbors and the authorities when the poo poo hits the fan. So I understand if they identify with Cruz on some level.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lycus posted:

Some conservatives do fantasize about murder. If you have an arsenal, you think about having to gun down your neighbors and the authorities when the poo poo hits the fan. So I understand if they identify with Cruz on some level.
If you've never fantasized about shooting it out with the police you're not a true American.

2/28/97 nevar forget :911:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Bullying is a serious problem and it's not far-fetched to suggest that it's a major contributor to the anti-social mindsets that drive school shooters. It's not helpful to just handwave away the question of "what makes people want to kill all of their classmates and probably die in the process?"

That's not the point of bringing it up in this context though, the point is to point to something else as the "real" solution because they've decided in advance that "make it more difficult to get guns" isn't it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It might be a kneejerk reflex left over from Columbine.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the funny thing is harris and klebold weren't even bullied and had a group of friends

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Which comedian joked about how the killers had way more friends than they ever did in high school?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Lycus posted:

Which comedian joked about how the killers had way more friends than they ever did in high school?

Chris Rock

Paraphrased, he laughed about the "Trenchcoat Mafia" and how ludicrous it sounded, then went on to say something about how there were like 9 members or whatever, and then of course "I didn't have 9 (?) friends in high school - I don't have 9 (?) friends NOW, and I'm rich!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zipperelli. posted:

Chris Rock

Paraphrased, he laughed about the "Trenchcoat Mafia" and how ludicrous it sounded, then went on to say something about how there were like 9 members or whatever, and then of course "I didn't have 9 (?) friends in high school - I don't have 9 (?) friends NOW, and I'm rich!

he also said "America needs bullies" in his latest Netflix special by alluding to the fact that when Trump started his campaign, "a real bully showed up and nobody knew how to deal with him." Chris Rock is funny and good.

BTW, some NRA supporters photoshopped Parkland survivor Emma González ripping up the Constitution:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/theres-fake-picture-parkland-teen-ripping-constitution-people-sharing-190303807.html

So that's a thing. RWM's total takedown of Stormy Daniels today after her 60 Minutes interview aired last night ought be a thing. It's funny watching them argue their way out of this. Trump says there was no affair but his lawyeres also accuse of breaking her NDA, which is tacit admission that there was, and even if there was an affair, what about Bill Clinton. Plus "she's a big slut anyway who only wants money" and this is a big liberal smear campaign. Because, you know, the media NEVER reported on Bill and Monica.

"Oh, hey, LOOK! A persecuted Christian! MAGA!"

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Guys, I went to grad school "Visiting Days" and Jordan Peterson would have had an aneurysm if he had heard how many times school officials used the word "equity".

Pretty sure he's using equity incorrectly, though, considering the school still has a grading system.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 26, 2018

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

the funny thing is harris and klebold weren't even bullied and had a group of friends

If anything they were more bullies themselves, I believe.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Perestroika posted:

Some person on Twitter actually killed this line of argument pretty succinctly: If bullying was the main cause of school shootings, you'd see a lot more gay, trans, black, or female shooters. But curiously it only ever seems to be straight white dudes.

Virginia Tech?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he wasn't bullied.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

he wasn't bullied.

i think the point is that he wasn't white, as if the existence of nonwhite shooters invalidates the argument that shooters are overwhelmingly white men

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

boner confessor posted:

i think the point is that he wasn't white, as if the existence of nonwhite shooters invalidates the argument that shooters are overwhelmingly white men

Ft Hood?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ORLANDOOOOOOO???

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
once you're done listing off the handful of nonwhite shooters you can continue to miss the point by listing off women

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

boner confessor posted:

once you're done listing off the handful of nonwhite shooters you can continue to miss the point by listing off women

"i dont like mondays." - SimonCat

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"The overwhelming majority of X are Y"
"But what about that one X who was Z, makes u think"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I am the complete lack of surprise that it was Adam Baldwin that posted it on twitter.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Mass shooters aren't disproportionately white in the first place.

It turns out that the motivations driving people to suicidal-homicidal extremes are complicated and varied. The ability to easily get a gun however is consistent.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they're not disproportionately white but they are disproportionately white men.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Alhazred posted:

I am the complete lack of surprise that it was Adam Baldwin that posted it on twitter.

Holy poo poo. I didn't even notice that. End the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

boner confessor posted:

LOL. Once people stop listing counter-examples you can pretend the original guy's point was solid? Perhaps he should have said "MOST mass shooters are straight white males" rather than "But curiously it only ever seems to be straight white dudes."