Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Falcon2001 posted:

Am I the only one who finds Astral Sorcery to be interesting and neat, but ultimately WAY too obscure? The neat magicky talk basically gets in the way of figuring out wtf is actually going on. Having to constantly check wiki pages to see what these things actually do when there's an in-game book feels irritating.

I still have no idea how to do some things with it and struggle on how I put together certain spells. Between that and the time i have to spend to level up I usually end up giving up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Anyone know how to get brown dye or dung to make the bladder in SevTech?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Devor posted:

Anyone know how to get brown dye or dung to make the bladder in SevTech?

The dung requires tamed wolves, and I haven't seen any vanilla wolves yet. Brown dye is easy, though; get an ink sac, a poppy, and a dandelion, and turn them into the dye powder, then mix red + yellow -> orange, then black + orange -> brown.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The dung requires tamed wolves

For gently caress's sake it's BTW all over again.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

For gently caress's sake it's BTW all over again.

This is actually entirely correct -- the mod in question is "Better Than Mods," which appears to be a clone of Better Than Wolves. It remains to be seen if there is an animal sex harness or not, though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The dung requires tamed wolves, and I haven't seen any vanilla wolves yet. Brown dye is easy, though; get an ink sac, a poppy, and a dandelion, and turn them into the dye powder, then mix red + yellow -> orange, then black + orange -> brown.

I don’t think flowers make dyes without machines. I never found the orange tulip, but I did find a Poppy and the shapeless recipe didn’t work. I don’t have a grindstone up and running yet

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

I don’t think flowers make dyes without machines. I never found the orange tulip, but I did find a Poppy and the shapeless recipe didn’t work. I don’t have a grindstone up and running yet

If you don't have the non-horse grindstone at the very least, you can't make the water bladder.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

If you don't have the non-horse grindstone at the very least, you can't make the water bladder.

You're right - turns out there's a bunch of other stuff that can make the brown dye powder. I used Manzanita bush, lots of random flowers that you have to grind the dyes out of.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

So I am hitting my head against a wall here - I'm playing on a small server and testing out OTG's dimension handling. Every time I teleport myself from the Void dimension, which has an ID of 12, back to the Overworld, the game crashes with a ticking world exception and the blockIDs in the save get corrupted, becoming another block entirely. Does anyone have a drat clue why this is happening?

Crashlog: https://ghostbin.com/paste/49zm8

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Sevtech question: Is there any easy way to find horses or is it just a total crapshoot like in vanilla? Because a huge portion of advancement is based on getting horses and I've walked quite a ways and can't find any.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Sevtech question: Is there any easy way to find horses or is it just a total crapshoot like in vanilla? Because a huge portion of advancement is based on getting horses and I've walked quite a ways and can't find any.

It's a crapshoot. I had to explore quite a bit to find one. Make sure you have the ancient atlas before you go too far from your stuff though.

IIRC they mostly spawn in plains-type biomes.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's a crapshoot. I had to explore quite a bit to find one. Make sure you have the ancient atlas before you go too far from your stuff though.

IIRC they mostly spawn in plains-type biomes.

It's annoying that the Farmland quest requires you to trade for the farmland to complete, even though you can craft it beforehand. Maybe they wanted the quest to unlock it, but couldn't get the backend to work.

Also annoying how many feathers/ink sacs the cartographer wanted for the atlas. I just hope it's not too long until I unlock the real journeymap.

The only horses I found are a boatride away, I'll probably see if I can cheat them in

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

The only horses I found are a boatride away, I'll probably see if I can cheat them in

Yeah, same. I ended up making a big 1 wide dirt bridge and riding the horse across it. But once I got it home, I got a much-appreciated automatic wood plank crafter out of it, so it was worth it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, same. I ended up making a big 1 wide dirt bridge and riding the horse across it. But once I got it home, I got a much-appreciated automatic wood plank crafter out of it, so it was worth it.

I really like a lot of the ideas, but some of the stuff (like horse logistics) is a little crazy. Perhaps the idea is that you settle your Age 1 base near horses as the resource?

Also, for folks having trouble with water blocks not being infinite in little pools - try building a bridge out a ways into a large body of water / oceanish area - if you're in a chunk that's all water (or mostly water?) the blocks start being infinite. You can shift-click to carry an 8-bucket early game bucket

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

I really like a lot of the ideas, but some of the stuff (like horse logistics) is a little crazy. Perhaps the idea is that you settle your Age 1 base near horses as the resource?

Also, for folks having trouble with water blocks not being infinite in little pools - try building a bridge out a ways into a large body of water / oceanish area - if you're in a chunk that's all water (or mostly water?) the blocks start being infinite. You can shift-click to carry an 8-bucket early game bucket

Nah, you only really need one horse. I ended up building all three horse-powered machines next to each other, and I just switched out the lead from one machine to another as I needed it. The only one of those machines you NEED is the squeezer; the other ones are just automated versions of things you can already do by hand. They are handy, though.

If I want to go somewhere, I'll pop the lead off the horse and just ride him around, too. The game instructs you to build a saddle, and you can tame the horse out in the wild, give it the saddle, and just ride it back home (water hazards notwithstanding.) I just wish I had a drat fence post to tie the horse onto out in the field.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So, NEI JEI can tell you all sorts of info, but is there any way to sort it or output it?

For example, I'm trying to find out what the best seed for seed oil is, but there's a bazillion seeds. Rather than going through one at a time, is there a way to sort it or anything like that?

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 26, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Falcon2001 posted:

So, NEI JEI can tell you all sorts of info, but is there any way to sort it or output it?

For example, I'm trying to find out what the best seed for seed oil is, but there's a bazillion seeds. Rather than going through one at a time, is there a way to sort it or anything like that?

There's no way to sort it like that, sadly. The best seed (assuming only Forestry is installed) is chestnuts, which you get by doing Forestry's awful tree breeding.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also for as much as this game's evidently been tweaked they don't seem to care you can make infinite squid ink and bonemeal by grinding it then crafting it back.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Also for as much as this game's evidently been tweaked they don't seem to care you can make infinite squid ink and bonemeal by grinding it then crafting it back.

Dang, I didn't even try that. Squid ink duping sounds awesome, but I'm sorted on bone meal after I found this huuuge skeleton made out of solid bone blocks.

I imagine it'll get patched though.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That's for staged mode. Gated mode has special quests in the Questbook chapter that require various items from the stuff you've unlocked. (Read: extra grind.)

My bad, I got the two confused.

quote:

The trick is to not bother with them, and make a Market instead. The shipping bin can give you lots of emeralds.

Unfortunately I'm doing Staged, which requires the gardens themselves to progress.

Falcon2001 posted:

Each type of tree leaf gives a different garden, which wasn't mentioned in the quest text. You can Botania your way to different trees.

I've got jungle and oak trees, and haven't gotten a single garden from either. Like I said, I've burned through four entire stone grinders (two on each type of tree) and got nothing.

It's nbd, if I can't get it to work I'll just cheat some in and sacrifice some grinders to the void.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Actually, regarding gardens and leaves -- are you using compressed rock grinders or regular ones? I think it only works with regular ones. Try not vein mining too, though that's just an unfounded guess on my part.

Make an alchemy catalyst for getting different tree types. gently caress fishing.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

Crafttweaker can output all recipes to a file which you can search to your hearts content

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also am I greatly misunderstanding Sevtech here or do I have to find an Abyssalcraft biome to get a somewhat regular chest? So more "wander until you find it" gameplay that could wind up a needle in a haystack.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yep, the darklands is required for progression both in terms of the wood and the shadow fragments from the mobs. If you do find one and the mobs are murdering you, try throwing the rocks that are lying around everywhere. They only do 2 damage but they're a ranged weapon so grab 50 and kill a 100 hp shadow beast that drops 2 complete shadow thingies and never go back (hopefully, doubtfully)

Also for anyone desperate enough to restart, I got a village and a darklands right next to spawn, and another village with a librarian across the ocean NW with seed -2018533057107512949

(Bed is the village near spawn, house icon is the village with librarians, Darklands is the landmass WSW of the bed icon)

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 26, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Wow, I had no idea you could throw those rocks. I've just been stabbing everything with my work knife. Full dark wolf pelt armor is strong against everything but the big shadow beasts that spray darkness at you.

I have, like, three abyssal biomes near where I am. They seem fairly common, and I always see animals in them during the day.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

Leaves & gardens: MSB3

You're using the grinders directly on freshly grown leaves correct? When I played, I had a TON of leaves and burned through them until I figured out you have to grind the leaves straight from the trunk.

Also, compact grinders do in fact work, and you can vein miner. I can confirm both of those things. But, I will say I typically had to go through about 3-8 trees to get a single garden.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Idk if it had any effect but I just tried not using veinminer and got a garden within three leaves blocks. v:shobon:v

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

I'm trying to get the Pam's gardens in MSB3 but so far I've burned through four stone rock grinders to no avail. Is there a trick to it?

Leaves have to still be on the trees. other than that ill see when i get there :)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Wow, I had no idea you could throw those rocks. I've just been stabbing everything with my work knife. Full dark wolf pelt armor is strong against everything but the big shadow beasts that spray darkness at you.

You can shapeless-craft cobblestone (or smoothstone?), one block turns into 9 of the rocks you find on the ground. A lot more efficient than hunting the rocks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

9 hours into SevTech and I've unlocked stage 1. Now I can make regular chests! A regular crafting table! Doors! Fences! (More important than it sounds!)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

9 hours into SevTech and I've unlocked stage 1. Now I can make regular chests! A regular crafting table! Doors! Fences! (More important than it sounds!)

I do generally like the sense of progression. I haven't found myself so stressed out that I cheat stuff in. The effort involved in smashing stuff with your crafting rock means that you don't just blast a stack of wood into 30 drying racks - you make 5 or 6 racks instead.

Sevadus did say on his stream that there is intended to be a prestige system for later play-throughs, so that if you have gotten a few stages in, you can spend that effort on meta-benefits (say, unlocking Stage 1 from the start or a crafting table or whatever)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh hey it's been a while since MSB3 did an update that broke poo poo, isn't it?

The latest update splits "Better automation and farming" into two separate quest sections, with "Better farming" now using Agricraft to crossbreed seeds.

Except that everything branches off the initial "make crop sticks" quest, which requires being in kitchen sink mode. If you're like me and in staged mode, you can't do any of the quests in this new category. Oh, and making snad also requires being in kitchen sink mode.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
I made snad no problem in gated mode.

What I've been having issues with is the item pick up upgrade on yabba barrels. Apparently it's a known broken issue between forge and yabba.

Which sucks cuz I can't use void tears to carry witch hats.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

For those of you playing SevTech, here's a stumbling point that I overcame that might save you some trouble. Early into Age 1 you'll be instructed to make a dowsing rod for finding ores. There's no documentation on these things, but after asking some folks I found out that they way they work is they measure in a straight line 32 blocks away, only one block wide. They aren't like the prospector's picks from TFC where the search area is a cube. In order to find ore, you need to go to the depth that the achievement (or Prospector's book) indicates, and test the floor and ceiling all over in the area to find where the ore is.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oops, false alarm. Turns out it changed one of the quests in "Basic Resources" to be a preqreq for actually unlocking Better Farming. The quest to get all the seeds now requires potato seeds and is a gate.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Dang, I didn't even try that. Squid ink duping sounds awesome, but I'm sorted on bone meal after I found this huuuge skeleton made out of solid bone blocks.

I imagine it'll get patched though.

he just said a few mins ago on his stream the bone meal thing is intentional.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

he just said a few mins ago on his stream the bone meal thing is intentional.

Huh, weird. Oh well, it's not like it's a super huge deal. Oh no, someone might be able to grow crops fast!

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Still playing Forever Stranded Lost souls and im stuck on Astral Sorcery now.

I cant seem to get it to transform iron ore to starmetal.

I found several of the big temples. Took the roofs off to expose the floating crystal, place iron ore blocks under it and linked the crystal to the iron ore blocks. And nothing.

Ive waited several nights now and nothing, tried other temples, is there something im missing?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

TheDon01 posted:

Still playing Forever Stranded Lost souls and im stuck on Astral Sorcery now.

I cant seem to get it to transform iron ore to starmetal.

I found several of the big temples. Took the roofs off to expose the floating crystal, place iron ore blocks under it and linked the crystal to the iron ore blocks. And nothing.

Ive waited several nights now and nothing, tried other temples, is there something im missing?

Was this in a single play session? Sometimes Astral Sorcery's starlight data will just utterly poo poo the bed, and a restart is necessary to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Posted a bit ago about prefab buildings - it's possibly overpowered, but just found https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/prefab and seems to be what I was looking for.