Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Mine was Rise of the Triad, because I somehow ended up with the full registered version off a random shareware CD. I was too dumb for :filez: back then, so that must be how I got it.

Of course, lessons learned from that game were more along the lines of "blow up everything," "gibs are good," and "guys who say not to shoot are lying whores" :v:

This is probably more for the retro gaming threads, but I remember outright killing my family's computer with Nitemare 3d, a wolfenstein clone but with Hugo's House of Horrors. Something terribly wrong happened and it rewrote a critical file on the computer (this was when I was too young to know how to install an OS), so that whenever you turned the computer on it would only play the game. No windows, no command line. Just hit the power button and all you could do was play the game demo.

That was the only computer we had, back when they were a significant family purchase. To this day I still hate nitemare 3d and am afraid of playing it again, even in a dosbox window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

As Nero Danced posted:

This is probably more for the retro gaming threads, but I remember outright killing my family's computer with Nitemare 3d, a wolfenstein clone but with Hugo's House of Horrors. Something terribly wrong happened and it rewrote a critical file on the computer (this was when I was too young to know how to install an OS), so that whenever you turned the computer on it would only play the game. No windows, no command line. Just hit the power button and all you could do was play the game demo.

That was the only computer we had, back when they were a significant family purchase. To this day I still hate nitemare 3d and am afraid of playing it again, even in a dosbox window.

Figure out how to do this with Doom or console exclusives and you might have a money-making idea here.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is technically a second person game, in the sense that it provides a compelling explanation as to why there's a floating camera capable of issuing commands to the protagonist and his squad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:allbuttons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i25CBfOUAUQ
High point being that the mod features Dontrel and Klurfs as enemies. :wtc:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

those dontrels are incredible

also apparently the creator had this to say

quote:

Sanya Waffles
2 days ago
I'm glad you reviewed the project. I consider it an honor.

MAP07 being skippable was actually a bug! Thank you for pointing it out, I didn't mean to make the level completable that easily. I will fix that.

The final boss was actually severely bugged, I have since to fixed her. Protip: don't use the despairium rifle on her, she loves it ;D But she is supposed to be beatable despite that. Marisa and a few others had the exact same problem you did though, especially on the Discourse difficulty.

In DD2 (yes there's gonna be a sequel) will have a bit more wacky weapons and a more solid story with some better worldbuilding. I feel DD1 failed in that and before I go forward on DD2 I'm gonna try to at least buff DD1 up some more. The main problem is GZDoom's limited on cutscenes and not being that good of a writer. I might bring two of my friends on as writers to help worldbuild this a bit. I wonder if I can make DD2 more like Hexen or Strife in terms of hub-like level design.

I'm gonna take some of the criticisms and try to improve DD1 before diving into DD2 (especially since my musician hasn't finished the score to DD1 yet). The weapons in DD2 will be improved however - in fact I'm trying to make a broad array of wacky weapons, not just the bazooka and heatseeker you'd see in ROTT.

Also there's an added feature to the coccoon mode of the TBD - it bounces off surfaces so you can sort of attack enemies at various angles. I guess it can be kind of lacking though.

TBH the Despairium rifle being nerfed was kind of a mistake on my part. Some people like it, others, such as yourself and myself, don't care for it much. I'll see if there's a better way to make it.

As for why Daytime Drama 1 is such a shitpost? Well, it had a long complex development history and was a reboot of a lovely mod I made back in 2007 and alot of the injokes and such from the past couple years piled into one. I feel accomplished that the game even got released, as I had to move out of my grandparents house after they died, and that made development of it (since 2013) a bit hard to do.

Still, I feel a tad bit of lore could not have hurt. I'm gonna see if I can't tweak this before the final release. I'll talk with some people and see if they have any ideas.

Thanks again for the playthrough/video. I'll see what I can do to make it better. :D

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 26, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

StoryTime posted:

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is technically a second person game, in the sense that it provides a compelling explanation as to why there's a floating camera capable of issuing commands to the protagonist and his squad.

Reminds me of the Clive Barker's Jericho game. The reason you can hop from squadmate to squadmate to control them is that you're legit playing as a disembodied body-hopping ghost.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Reminds me of the Clive Barker's Jericho game. The reason you can hop from squadmate to squadmate to control them is that you're legit playing as a disembodied body-hopping ghost.

Except The Bureau doesn't have incredibly crappy QTE's at odd points. So, yeah, I own both of them...

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mordja posted:

:allbuttons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i25CBfOUAUQ
High point being that the mod features Dontrel and Klurfs as enemies. :wtc:

Oh wow, I downloaded this, and...man...

The banana-hands purple thing I think is supposed to be BonziBuddy. It's got voice clips from Vinesauce Joel.

:frogout: has come up in the world, it seems.

Here's an Imgur album of some stuff I found: https://imgur.com/a/uZPlS

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm actually kinda impressed by the quality of the graphics, just not the actual content of the graphics. Is there a good Doom mod in a similar artistic style?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm actually kinda impressed by the quality of the graphics, just not the actual content of the graphics. Is there a good Doom mod in a similar artistic style?

If you mean generally cartoony, there's Shadow of/Rise of the Wool ball, which are tributes to Wolf3d and Rise of the Triad respectively. They're very well made.

There's also something called Memoirs of Magic, which only has a demo out that I haven't tried. It looks like it plays very differently from Doom, however.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0viON73KtE

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Max Wilco posted:

Oh wow, I downloaded this, and...man...

I'm getting some pretty solid CWC flashbacks right now.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKRP83daORI

Based on Kirby gameplay. You can do Kirby jumps, suck in enemies towards you, and use their weapons after doing so. Can only hold one weapon at a time.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/hardmaru/status/978793678419369984

The future is weird

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Wait, so now we can train neural networks to make game mods? Oh no.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kikas posted:

Wait, so now we can train neural networks to make game mods? Oh no.

Can't be any worse than what the humans are making.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

"This was the height of your modding scene. I say "your" modding scene, because when we started making mods for you, it really became our modding scene."

StoryTime posted:

What was the reason? (I got stuck and never finished that game, and I'm curious.)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I think it's that the protagonist is possessed by an alien with psychic powers .

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I guess Im in the minority, I actually liked that game, but I don't play a lot of thirdsecond-person shooters.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Can't be any worse than what the humans are making.

Unless you use the Nexus as training data.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kikas posted:

Unless you use the Nexus as training data.

That's his point. We can program robots to learn but not to imagine. They can only copy what they see. They can't create worse mods because they'll only attempt to recreate the mods that already exist.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

I guess Im in the minority, I actually liked that game, but I don't play a lot of thirdsecond-person shooters.

I enjoyed it too.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's his point. We can program robots to learn but not to imagine. They can only copy what they see. They can't create worse mods because they'll only attempt to recreate the mods that already exist.

I agree with your point, but not the conclusion. Say I make a mod that adds washing machines to Fallout. Great. Someone else makes a nude mod. Not my thing but whatever. Now suppose they become popular.

A computer sees both, identifies the core components and their popularity and bam, washing machine titty mod

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Teach them to insert pop-culture references into every game, or replace things just for the sake of changing something. (i.e. think like an uncreative human modder)

Then wonder why they're producing weird stupid poo poo like "fat werewolves with rainbow mohawks playing harmonicas at a half-melted plastic firetruck"

but yeah, it would be difficult to teach a robot how to do intentional surrealism because first they'd need to understand what reality looks like.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 28, 2018

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Furia posted:

I agree with your point, but not the conclusion. Say I make a mod that adds washing machines to Fallout. Great. Someone else makes a nude mod. Not my thing but whatever. Now suppose they become popular.

A computer sees both, identifies the core components and their popularity and bam, washing machine titty mod

You're making the assumption that that mod will be worse than either of the mods that inspired it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Furia posted:

And you really think that's the worst mod ever made? A computer cannot beat humanity at being awful simply by rote combination. True horror is original and inspired.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Someone is gonna build a computer that does its best to import skyrim's sex mods into every single game in existence.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

loving robots taking our jobs

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

What was the reason? (I got stuck and never finished that game, and I'm curious.)

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I think it's that the protagonist is possessed by an alien with psychic powers .

To expand on this, throughout the game an alien is puppeteering the “main” character, although it is sort of kind of not doing it on purpose. The “camera” is actually the alien’s eyes both when you’re controlling directly from a third person perspective and when you temporarily detach to give orders. For the last level the main character manages to get rid of his hanger-on and goes a bit crazy from being locked in his own mind for weeks/months. The 3 other supporting characters in the game then volunteer to become a willing host for the alien to beat the evil aliens and become the player character for the final level.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Aren't most successful businesses just stolen ideas anyway?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

I'm getting some pretty solid CWC flashbacks right now.

That's not really the vibe I got. Like MrIcarus said in his video, it feels more like a shitpost in Doom mod form. Stuff like the box art images or the magazine covers seem like they're meant to just be goofy, stupid, or referential. The first thing I noticed was that there's a reference to Gaming Garbage reference in the startup screen text, and that for me made it seem like the mod wasn't done in earnest.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1342263292 of all the things to crossover with rimworld

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Aren't most successful businesses just stolen ideas anyway?

everything is stolen or inspired by something. anyone who says otherwise is selling something, poorly. this is triply true with creative pursuits, like music or art.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Cup Runneth Over posted:

And you really think that's the worst mod ever made? A computer cannot beat humanity at being awful simply by rote combination. True horror is original and inspired.

I’d say a lot of horror modding comes from modders making things that aren’t quote what they should be. Deadeyed barbie dolls, for instance. I’m addressing this as an infinite typewriters type scenario, but with different possible combination of mod subjects and execution

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Also holy poo poo, Gone With the Blastwave is still going. :stare:.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also holy poo poo, Gone With the Blastwave is still going. :stare:.

At this point is more of a running gag. I mean the april fools strips come more often that regular ones.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Max Wilco posted:

That's not really the vibe I got. Like MrIcarus said in his video, it feels more like a shitpost in Doom mod form. Stuff like the box art images or the magazine covers seem like they're meant to just be goofy, stupid, or referential. The first thing I noticed was that there's a reference to Gaming Garbage reference in the startup screen text, and that for me made it seem like the mod wasn't done in earnest.

Weird town populated entirely by cartoon characters, internet references and author self insert character was the entire premise of CWC's comic. Aesthetically it reminds me a lot of Cool World with its choice in color pallet the Doom engine's handling of perspective.

It makes me want to vomit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's that day when silly things happen, so have a silly thing that came out today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgsE9-rMGew

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Some guy is shocked to find out that a mod by the name of "maids 2" might not be that good and writes a whole essay on it. One of the few times I can genuinly say too long fid not read.

A guy in the comments complaints about it not being lore friendly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/88j2qe/lets_talk_rant_about_maids_ii_heavy_spoilers/

Midig fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 1, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Hey, does anyone remember Creation Club? I had forgotten about up until now, when I saw a related video for it on YouTube.

I also saw the one really great mod I would play Creation Club Coinz for (provided I couldn't find it somewhere else for free). You can turn Dogmeat into a Shiba Inu :3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ92RV-cilM&t=384s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I got reminded of the Creation Club existance when someone posted on 4chan that their favourite "sexy" mods got taken down from the Nexus by the author. The author did it cause Bethesda asked him to "purge" his portfolio before agreeing to host his non-sexy mod on the CC.

But it's a 4chan rumour so yeah.