Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
more people watched the dota 2 2015 international championships than the world series

videogames beats golf every time. sports are dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

cis autodrag posted:

I don't know what games you're watching but the majority of runs are not scored by home run in the ones I'm seeing. Squeeze bunts are still a regular occurrence in Brewers games ffs.

Brewers × Pittsburgh = Bob Ueker talking about the furry convention that was going on at the same hotel the Brewers were at

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bhodi posted:

more people watched the dota 2 2015 international championships than the world series

ok, now do it for the world cup

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Bhodi posted:

Dota is actually international though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
img-far-side-hopeful-parents.jpg

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

ok, now do it for the world cup
sorry, I mean the sports american genx+ watch are dying

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
how do Japanese and Korean and Cuban etc. baseball differ from US AL & NL baseball?

why aren’t Asian and Latin American teams part of the World Series?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
the World Series is actually named after the newspaper that sponsored it when it started

not, you know, the place

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

how do Japanese and Korean and Cuban etc. baseball differ from US AL & NL baseball?

why aren’t Asian and Latin American teams part of the World Series?

The talent level is lower because all their best players land in MLB teams.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Sports are circling the drain, but it’s a much bigger drain as far as the money is concerned, so they’re not going anywhere in our lifetime.

Masters Tournament: Come get this kickass interest rate on the new E class for well qualified buyers.

The International: Scream REEEEE on the top of your lungs until your parents buy a case of Game Fuel!

Now keep in mind they’re both trying to target thirtysomethings.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
pretty sure the guys assuming that the future of marketing is selling to people in poverty are the ones who are right

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FrozenVent posted:

baseball is boring as gently caress to play or watch

it’s not bad if there’s hot dogs and beer I guess

minor league games are fun to attend because they’re shorter and the players can hear what you scream at them

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

pretty sure the guys assuming that the future of marketing is selling to people in poverty are the ones who are right
people in poverty have no money and aren't worth marketing to, which is why 100% of ads are now cars and pharmaceuticals targeted to 30+ people (who have money)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

minor league hockey and baseball are really the perfect sporting events if you think about it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Bhodi posted:

well yes, over 50% of American adults are now obese

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the obesity rate is directly as a result of the decline in labor-based jobs in america

Apr 7, 2003

It's stunning to me how much nerds resent sports. You got beat up by the football team twenty years ago. Get over it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I don’t care one way about sport but I don’t like not understanding sports related jokes that get posted :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stymie posted:

the obesity rate is directly as a result of the decline in labor-based jobs in america

that's a contributing factor but it's not the main one. america is fatter than most first-world nations, and places like japan with highly mechanized labor have far lower obesity rates than the USA

it's the easy availability of refined sugars and complex carbohydrates, mostly, and americans' inability to keep from gorging themselves on them

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mechanized, but labor nonetheless

the us has shifted to a largely service-based economy and now there are whole swathes of "workers" who do nothing but sit behind a desk all day typing, so they turn to food and sugary drinks as a way to combat the soul-crushing tedium and find even a moment's joy in their lives

if they actually worked a job where what they accomplished was meaningful then the obesity rates would plummet

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

this, it's this poo poo right here.

Apr 7, 2003

Laslow posted:

also the fact that being a fat lazy piece of poo poo that overindulges in everything is smiled on in American culture

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

also the fact that being a fat lazy piece of poo poo that overindulges in everything is smiled on in American culture

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
a slovenly, unambitious chud with a super hot wife is just a winning television formula. characters who care about their bodies are relegated to ancillary roles who's sole purpose is for the main chud to dunk on them 4-8 times per episode.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Laslow posted:

a slovenly, unambitious chud with a super hot wife is just a winning television formula. characters who care about their bodies are relegated to ancillary roles who's sole purpose is for the main chud to dunk on them 4-8 times per episode.

please stop doxxing me

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I played baseball for 22 years. I started when I was 5 or 6 and it put me through college. I was on city all star teams from 7th grade through High school. I attended a top 25 program and I am supremely qualified to tell that baseball is actually bad and dumb. It is also incredibly boring and I played catcher so I was consistently involved throughout the game. I Called games but oh my god it was so soul crushingly boring. I got my first cell phone, a lovely Nokia brick, when I was young just so I could call my parents to get picked up so they didn't habe to sit there.

I wish I had played soccer

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

If you have a PS4, and not Bloodborne, I am very disappointed in you.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

minor league games are fun to attend because they’re shorter and the players can hear what you scream at them

so true, once i was sitting between the visiting teams wives and the cheap bleachers and it was dollar beer night
both sides were shouting at the visiting players trying to out loud the other
it was a good night

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

in the npb world series games can end in a tie

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hifi posted:

in the npb world series games can end in a tie

It's called the Japan series :goonsay:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Laslow posted:

Sports are circling the drain, but it’s a much bigger drain as far as the money is concerned, so they’re not going anywhere in our lifetime.

Masters Tournament: Come get this kickass interest rate on the new E class for well qualified buyers.

The International: Scream REEEEE on the top of your lungs until your parents buy a case of Game Fuel!

Now keep in mind they’re both trying to target thirtysomethings.

the international and the like are not concerned with ancient 30-somethings primarily or secondarily

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Laslow posted:

12” pizzahut pizza is like 30 dollars here

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

12” pizzahut pizza is like 30 dollars here

pizza hut had incredible success in china marketing itself as super upmarket and decided to do literally every other country except the us that way

works fine in korea, maybe not in east europe

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

eschaton posted:

korean baseball has cheerleaders

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

korean baseball has cheerleaders

its a repository for washed out kpop aspirants

they are way more effective at actually leading cheers tho. like, american cheerleaders are 100% to look pretty but korean cheerleaders are only like 80% to look pretty. 20% to engage audience

i would prolly not go to an american game again. but you can get drunk real cheap in a korean ballpark and cheer a lot

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the international and the like are not concerned with ancient 30-somethings primarily or secondarily

but he wasn't walking about the players, I don't think !!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgakov posted:

but he wasn't walking about the players, I don't think !!

neither was i

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

pizza hut had incredible success in china marketing itself as super upmarket and decided to do literally every other country except the us that way

works fine in korea, maybe not in east europe

i kinda want to try it just to see what's up but, man, $24 plain pepperoni twelve-incher with $6 delivery fee is a really loving bad deal over here. like, https://www.picariga.lv/ is considered to be a rather upmarket pizza affair over here and you cant just compare the prices. the only thing that local pizza hut has in similar price range is 12" margarita that is (official pic) just a loving dough disk

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i kinda want to try it just to see what's up but, man, $24 plain pepperoni twelve-incher with $6 delivery fee is a really loving bad deal over here. like, https://www.picariga.lv/ is considered to be a rather upmarket pizza affair over here and you cant just compare the prices. the only thing that local pizza hut has in similar price range is 12" margarita that is (official pic) just a loving dough disk

that pizza looks calculated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol frig off

not that problems like that are latvia-exclusive