Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Oh that's actually cool, I had no idea about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
sanjis gonna kick wadatsumi into the island and destroy it

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Hate-Senpai posted:

That's less about character importance and more because Oda is an avid baseball fan, and the chapter came out a few weeks after a major doping scandal in the NPB (Nippon Professional Baseball). It's his subtle way of getting the message across the performance enhancers aren't effective (hence why the dudes failed to kill or even hurt Crocodile) and dangerous (hence why they die from the side effects).

And suddenly the enemy with the baseball bat makes complete sense!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yinlock posted:

"and gobert gets hit with a foul, "gear second" is not a permitted basketball technique in the nba"
Ah, but the rulebook doesn't expressly forbid it either. We're going full Air Bud in here.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
One Piece wasn't the only shounen manga to incorporate the scandal into its content; around that same time (summer/fall 2001), Naruto was in the early stages of the Chuunin Exam arc, which introduced the concept of the Cursed Seals. The Cursed Seals have a lot in common with the common perception of performance-enhancing drugs that Japan held back then - arrogance, getting drunk on your power, cruelty (to be more precise, a lack of empathy stemming from a lack of morals), and of course, enhanced performance exaggerated to unbelievable levels.

The whole genetic issue aside (Naruto turning out to have good genes by virtue of having overpowered parents), a lot of Naruto deals with the theme of hard work and determination (practice) over quick detrimental power ups (performance-enhancing drugs). I don't think this core theme was itself influenced by the baseball scandal, but I do think it resonated greatly with Kishimoto, given how he eventually had Sasuke ween himself off the Cursed Seal in Shippuden.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hard working determined rock lee trains all his life and attains superhuman levels. and then he uses performance enhancing gates once and is crushed by a raccoon man

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

verbal enema posted:

Just get the loving tattoo

ok

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

oddium posted:

hard working determined rock lee trains all his life and attains superhuman levels. and then he uses performance enhancing gates once and is crushed by a raccoon man

Forbidden techniques are forbidden for a reason.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cuchulain posted:

Eh, it seems to me that despite what Oda said about wanting the comic to remain at the same age group forever, pre-timeskip rules for death in the narrative have changed. It used to be impossible to die outside a flashback if you had a name. Pell's the best example, but the royal guards drank poison and died just fine, because they didn't have names.*

But after the timeskips, we've actually had a few people die. Hell, Big Mom murdered two of her own children on panel!

*they got some in a data book, according to the wiki

I didn't say no one kills people, just that no one kills people who are already knocked out.

Though if anyone would, it would be Bege.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Cuchulain posted:

Eh, it seems to me that despite what Oda said about wanting the comic to remain at the same age group forever, pre-timeskip rules for death in the narrative have changed. It used to be impossible to die outside a flashback if you had a name. Pell's the best example, but the royal guards drank poison and died just fine, because they didn't have names.*
The funny thing is apparently someone died with a name and not in a flashback all the way in the Arlong Arc. There was that one scumbag Marine, Pudding Pudding, that for all intents and purposes is loving dead. Guy got sucked into a whirlpool and was never seen or mentioned again.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheLoneStar posted:

The funny thing is apparently someone died with a name and not in a flashback all the way in the Arlong Arc. There was that one scumbag Marine, Pudding Pudding, that for all intents and purposes is loving dead. Guy got sucked into a whirlpool and was never seen or mentioned again.

Dude was less of a scumbag and more of an overconfident idoit, wasn't he?

Basically called in to rescue the villagers but decided to bombard Arlong instead and got killed for his mistakes along with his crew.

He really couldn't have changed anything anyways. If he tried to rescue the villagers, Arlong would have tried to bribe him (as he was initially planning) or killed him. If he'd accepted the bribe, villagers would still be screwed. If he'd refused, Arlong would have no trouble killing him and his crew and the villagers would still be screwed.

The scumbag was Nezu, the dude taking bribes, who eventually reported Luffy to the World Government and got him his first bounty poster.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Hate-Senpai posted:

Dude was less of a scumbag and more of an overconfident idoit, wasn't he?

Basically called in to rescue the villagers but decided to bombard Arlong instead and got killed for his mistakes along with his crew.

He really couldn't have changed anything anyways. If he tried to rescue the villagers, Arlong would have tried to bribe him (as he was initially planning) or killed him. If he'd accepted the bribe, villagers would still be screwed. If he'd refused, Arlong would have no trouble killing him and his crew and the villagers would still be screwed.

The scumbag was Nezu, the dude taking bribes, who eventually reported Luffy to the World Government and got him his first bounty poster.
Oh yeah, that's right. I completely forgot about Nezu. Just remembered that one Marine that apparently died and thought he was the guy helping Arlong I suppose.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

TheLoneStar posted:

getting sucked into a whirlpool is how he powers up

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there are at least a few examples of random one off characters getting killed. like that time the poison guy straight murdered a bunch of level 6 inmates in impel down

if you show up in more than one scene, you're usually safe tho

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

there are at least a few examples of random one off characters getting killed. like that time the poison guy straight murdered a bunch of level 6 inmates in impel down

if you show up in more than one scene, you're usually safe tho
Generic mooks and characters were always fair game. It's extremely rare for a named character (not in a flashback) to actually die.

U-DO Burger posted:

getting sucked into a whirlpool is how he powers up
I can't wait for him to appear in the final arc and one-shot Blackbeard.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
There was also the random pirates who got killed on the way to Fishman Island. That creepy swamp dude's crew?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Mr. 11 also got executed in Alabasta

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Andrew_1985 posted:

There was also the random pirates who got killed on the way to Fishman Island. That creepy swamp dude's crew?

didn't they show up in a cover story or was that just his brother

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Manatee Cannon posted:

didn't they show up in a cover story or was that just his brother

The brother was the only other one of the crew who had defining characteristics anyway so he probably represents they making it out fine.

Meanwhile the Flawhats are loving dead

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Didn't those fake Strawhats get buried alive or something? Or at least some of them.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

drat i just kind of assumed they didn't actually get buried alive and instead something happened offscreen to let them escape or something

harsh

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

that was a message to people selling knock-off one piece merch. don't gently caress with oda's money

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The unluckies died but they were animals

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Meme Emulator posted:

The unluckies died but they were animals

They lived and helped the Marines identify former Baroque Works people in a cover story.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

looking forward to the characters who die leaking morgan's big news a week early every week

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

So there's not manga at all for anything next week with GW?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Are we getting 900 thursday/friday?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I believe we are, yes. Golden week is typically a month away yet.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Golden Week doesn't start until April 28th this year, yeah. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dragonatrix posted:

Golden Week doesn't start until April 28th this year, yeah. :v:

right as i get home from a holiday in australia :negative:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I can't believe this week isn't on break, I am not emotionally ready

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hate-Senpai posted:

I feel like the Big Mom Pirates have bigger issues to worry about than getting revenge on Luffy and Sanji and Co. once this whole arc is over.

Putting aside all the other issues you mentioned I find it kind of weird to think that they could be a future threat to the full crew, because 3 of the 4 Sweet Commanders are already defeated, and even a lot of the lower ranked people don't seem like they'd be a huge threat on their own. Beyond Smoothie, Perespero and maybe one or two others like Oven there really don't seem to be any particularly strong individuals left and the organization is in such chaos that they probably won't be much of a collective threat for a while either for reasons you already mentioned. At least, not to the Strawhats. They're still obviously a major threat to some others. Even if Katakuri re-appeared in a potential future arc he'd obviously be a Luffy opponent to show Luffy's growth before he takes on someone else so there's not much point in considering him in that regard. Almost every member of the Big Mom pirates that's gotten focus in this arc has already been defeated or defected, so any future arc including them would have to focus on obviously lower ranked/skilled individuals while the Strawhats will presumably have gotten at least a little stronger. Which doesn't really make sense.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
The way I always remember when Golden Week occurs is that Children's Day(May 5) usually falls during it, which happens to be Luffy's birthday.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

golden week is one of the best weeks to visit japan. everyone is on vacation and wants to hang. if you plan it right it's the best.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheLoneStar posted:

Ah, but the rulebook doesn't expressly forbid it either. We're going full Air Bud in here.

gently caress, i forgot all about the air bud clause

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wadatsumi, Oars and San Juan are going to be big in the NBA draft next year.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

hell astro course posted:

golden week is one of the best weeks to visit japan. everyone is on vacation and wants to hang. if you plan it right it's the best.

Wouldn't it be a pain to get around what with everyone going places on vacation. Even accounting for Japan's good public transportation services.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Hate-Senpai posted:

Wouldn't it be a pain to get around what with everyone going places on vacation. Even accounting for Japan's good public transportation services.

the atmosphere is super fun, but I guess you have a point. I wouldn't recommend it if it is your first time, and don't speak japanese or w/e.. but also, like I said, it's a really fun atmosphere

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
japan seems like a cool place. when i go im going to wear my naruto headband and eat a lot of pocky. believe it senpai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also i want to see sanji kick a person really hard. really hard. in the face. with his foot.