Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Pirate Radar posted:

I’m hoping the streaming service will be available for me but I live in a small Asian country without a big F1 fan base so I’m not hopeful. For now I’m stuck with my girlfriend’s cable package, which shows the Sky feed and has an English option but cuts according to the Chinese commentary, not the English feed, so sometimes Crofty and Brundle get cut off in the middle of a sentence so they can play a quick commercial for chicken essence.

Taiwan?>>>??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Do you have Fox Sports 3 Pirate Radar? Usually it's not so bad with the ads. At least when they actually put it there and not simulcast UBA games that are also on FS1!!!!

Taiwan was definitely not on the list of countries that were initially getting the streaming package, either. :(

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Wirth1000 posted:

Taiwan?>>>??

Yeah, so at least the Asian races are at decent times, but if there are two big baseball games at the same time that can pre-empt the race coverage. Luckily the Taiwanese baseball league only has four teams.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Do you have Fox Sports 3 Pirate Radar? Usually it's not so bad with the ads. At least when they actually put it there and not simulcast UBA games that are also on FS1!!!!

Taiwan was definitely not on the list of countries that were initially getting the streaming package, either. :(

I can check. The ads are usually fine except it always seems like it’s the same three every break, selling some condo or other in New Taipei and then some vitamin drinks. :v:

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.
Wow, now that I read the list comprehensively it's pretty much USA, Mexico, most Central American and Caribbean countries, most of South America with the notable exception of Brazil, and a large swath of Europe. Nothing whatsoever in all of Asia, the Middle East, Africa or Oceania.

Just double checking to see if I missed anything...yep, definitely nothing east of Europe, only Azerbaijan which is definitely in Europe and whose capital Baku (which has done well and welcomed all of us) is most definitely not further east than both Baghdad and Riyadh.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

What happened to this...?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

I hope Haas get the Perfect Pitstop award.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Marketers going to go crazy trying to keep the alliteration working through sponsor changes

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Americans aren’t exactly going to fall in love with some fat old men reliving glory days

No they'll just base their entire country on the concept

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

McGuinty posted:

Apparently they will be aggressively blocking VPN services so unless you've got a grandma in one of the lucky countries you can convince to let you roll your own tunnel, tough poo poo.

Depending on how good they are at blocking VPNs there are still options. I may do a tutorial when the service is released on how to set up a private VPN. It's what I'll be doing so I don't have to pay skyf1 a single penny.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Apparently Williams were particularly poo poo in this race due to a software issue. They literally couldn't adjust engine modes on their Mercedes engine. Stuck in garbage mode for the whole race or something.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Bob sabotaging the ECU with help from Nico.

JV was right.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

td4guy posted:

Apparently Williams were particularly poo poo in this race due to a software issue. They literally couldn't adjust engine modes on their Mercedes engine. Stuck in garbage mode for the whole race or something.

Their GARBAGE <—————> PARTY switch was broken

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

They dropped it because of the complaints.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

td4guy posted:

Stuck in garbage mode for the whole race or something.

Stroll and sirotkin, summed up.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ilmucche posted:

Stroll and sirotkin, summed up.

Get a load of this bad opinion.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

td4guy posted:

They have two paydrivers they can't publicly whinge about.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

BTW Ferrari owns.

I haven't ever actually heard of that aside from people speculating as to why

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
#forzaferrari

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I vote we get Alex Williamson to replace Crofty and Bumdle.

https://www.facebook.com/LooseAussieBloke/videos/1712408728838684/

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Williams has a mercedes engine, they dont have an excuse to be this bad.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

tuo posted:

The commenters on German Sky constantly bitched about this, like "we would like to show it again, but we are not allowed to switch away from the world feed....but we just looked at a replay we can't show you, and this is what we saw...". They had this argument at least two times per weekend, so I guess this rule is valid for all stations?

Most of the rips you'll see on dailymotion or so of late 90s-early00s races are from the australian World Wide broadcasts. They have two guys in the studio who will re-introduce the race after an ad-break if anything happened, then gracefully slide back to the world feed. They still couldn't show replays, but could explain exactly what happened and the context etc (so and so pitted and lost a wheel nut so you're watching the aftermath etc).

This isn't that hard to do and the idea has been done elsewhere before. The current American coverage sounds AIDS.

I'd suggest Channel 4's (UK) coverage when it's live; their anti-VPN technology is in name only so you can use it fine usually. Their anti-adblock is pretty decent so they don't seem to care who watches it as long as you load the ads.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Williams has a mercedes engine, they dont have an excuse to be this bad.

they dont need an excuse you just look at their drivers

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know Stroll got passed by fantastic scud boi Leclerc but what the gently caress did Sirloin did this weekend? I dont remember anything about the guy.

edit: i know we make fun of bottas but Verstappen was really bad this weekend.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 26, 2018

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Liberty owns

https://twitter.com/insidefom/status/978247423146340353?s=21

Incredibly impressive that they are not only listening to feedback but implementing fixes so quickly.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

I know Stroll got passed by fantastic scud boi Leclerc but what the gently caress did Sirloin did this weekend? I dont remember anything about the guy.

edit: i know we make fun of bottas but Verstappen was really bad this weekend.

Sirotkin had some kind of issue and had to retire early on.
He might have been the first car back in the pits.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Liberty owns

Incredibly impressive that they are not only listening to feedback but implementing fixes so quickly.

They had a *lot* of teething issues with the broadcast so it's not surprising they've got stuff they're working on.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Liberty owns

Isnt that literally just reverting to what they had last year but with the new font ?

Why the gently caress couldnt they have done that from the start??

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Basticle posted:

Isnt that literally just reverting to what they had last year but with the new font used for the driver names?

No

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Liberty owns

The only feedback bernie ever listened to was that of his lawyers on how to steal more money.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.

NtotheTC posted:

Depending on how good they are at blocking VPNs there are still options. I may do a tutorial when the service is released on how to set up a private VPN. It's what I'll be doing so I don't have to pay skyf1 a single penny.

Cool, this would be much appreciated, although sorting payment for the F1 TV streaming service itself may still prove troublesome even if access to the stream is possible.

Khablam posted:

I'd suggest Channel 4's (UK) coverage when it's live; their anti-VPN technology is in name only so you can use it fine usually. Their anti-adblock is pretty decent so they don't seem to care who watches it as long as you load the ads.

This is my plan next weekend, along with the other 9 or so races that will be live on C4.

Edit: I mean the next weekend there is a race (Apr. 6-8, when there will also be MotoGP!), not literally next weekend when there is no F1 OR MotoGP.

Schlesische posted:

Sirotkin had some kind of issue and had to retire early on.
He might have been the first car back in the pits.

He never even made it back to the pits, he pulled into an escape road somewhere in the second sector IIRC.

McGuinty fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 26, 2018

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

mrfart posted:

The only feedback bernie ever listened to was that of his lawyers on how to steal more money.

Effective management.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

i know we make fun of bottas but Verstappen was really bad this weekend.
He was faster than Dan all weekend.
Yes he could have sat behind KMag til the pit stops (like everyone else) but I much prefer he tried literally everything to pass.

Holding on to the car whilst it did everything to throw him off the track in the dirty air was impressive.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

simble posted:

The difference is context. Brundle and Croft don't know when ESPN is cutting to a commercial so they can't explain what we missed. Diffey and co, knew we came back from a commercial break and they could explain what was going on, and replay radio communications that were missed.

This ESPN poo poo is mega garbage.

That is also very true. It feels that NBC is the only company these days that gives a flying gently caress about racing. Fox is going to be all over NASCAR because of course they are given the people who watch their news channel, though NBC picks up the back half of that season and do a decent job with it, arguably better than Fox, Paul Allen not withstanding.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, I hereby declare Strokin as Palmers replacement as the "Aggressively Mediocre" driver on the grid.

That or "Aggressively Forgettable"

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

quote:

Red Bull Formula 1 driver Max Verstappen says he would have switched off the “completely worthless” Australian Grand Prix had he been watching it as a fan.
The Melbourne season opener had noticeably little in the way of not only completed overtakes but any wheel-to-wheel battles, with only five passes taking place after the first lap.

A potential fight for victory fizzled out as Lewis Hamilton could not get close enough to challenge Sebastian Vettel, a theme common throughout the field as F1's heavy, high-downforce machines struggled to follow one another around the Albert Park circuit,

Verstappen endured a particularly frustrating race, saying afterwards he found it “very boring”.

Max confirmed for redditor with bad opinions about a race that owned.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bit of "yeah, it is" and "no, it isn't":
https://twitter.com/InsideFOM/status/977526093400883200

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Basticle posted:

Max confirmed for redditor with bad opinions about a race that owned.

He's not wrong. Melbourne loving sucks in an aero-dominant formula.
Lewis caught Vettel at ~1s per lap and couldn't pass. There were at least 5 cars sat behind someone going 1s per lap slower than they were able and couldn't pass.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RBR couldnt pass a Ferrari, and a Renault. Very bad team imo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

RBR couldnt pass a Ferrari, and a Renault. Very bad team imo.

Ferrari couldn't pass Mercedes on track either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Ferrari couldn't pass Mercedes on track either

They did.