Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yeah I thought the original image was just comparing last year and this year until I looked at it for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Note the "on track". They passed Lewis while he was in the pits, not on track.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Just watched the highlights...

- Hamilton didn't win
- Alonso top 5
- Seems like there were some good battles

F1 is... good again?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Not being facetious, I missed most of the race. Were there actually any good battles? All I saw was Lewis being unable to pass Vettel despite being faster, Ricciardo being unable to overtake Kimi despite being faster, and Verstappen being unable to overtake whoever he was behind despite being faster. I put that down to the track being godawful, which it has been for years.

How many on track overtakes were there during the race?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I for one am shocked that these cars can't overtake eachother, there was nothing in the prior 12 months that suggested this was going to be the state of the sport in 2018.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Now it’s not 5am and we have all sat down and watched the F1 at a reasonable hour I have some thoughts. Mostly about Sir Otkin who is is causing drama

My kids watch those YouTube channels with pretty young rich people advertising stuff on them and Sir Otkin looks like he has a YouTube channel.

He keeps loving winking at interviewers before mumbling incoherent gobbledygook at the camera, so of course 2/3 of my teenage daughters are utterly captivated. The engineering one thinks “OH MY GOD [name] HE’S JUST A poo poo BACKMARKER!!HE WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO TOUCH CARLOS SAINZ ”

:ohno:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I get the sense from all the post-race stuff that Ferrari was pretty shaken by Hamilton's quali lap on Saturday and a bit by how easily he was able to keep out of Kimi's undercut on Sunday. It doesn't seem as bad as say 2015 but it seems pretty clear that they won on pure luck (which Vettel said multiple times) and that their car doesn't seem nearly as quick early on.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Noone has ever overtaken in Australia though, that's why I asked if there were actually any good battles.

It is a godawful track, literally monaco but somehow worse and full of Australians to cap it all off. The only reason people look forward to the race every year is its the first one and they've been starved all winter.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

learnincurve posted:

Now it’s not 5am and we have all sat down and watched the F1 at a reasonable hour I have some thoughts. Mostly about Sir Otkin who is is causing drama

My kids watch those YouTube channels with pretty young rich people advertising stuff on them and Sir Otkin looks like he has a YouTube channel.

He keeps loving winking at interviewers before mumbling incoherent gobbledygook at the camera, so of course 2/3 of my teenage daughters are utterly captivated. The engineering one thinks “OH MY GOD [name] HE’S JUST A poo poo BACKMARKER!!HE WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO TOUCH CARLOS SAINZ ”

:ohno:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They added a shitload of downforce last year because everyone kept moaning that the cars looked slow, and shockingly this decreased overtaking, so now everyone is moaning that they need to go back to the 2016 cars. F1 fans are idiots.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They added a shitload of downforce last year because everyone kept moaning that the cars looked slow, and shockingly this decreased overtaking, so now everyone is moaning that they need to go back to the 2016 cars. F1 fans are idiots.

It is 100% this.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

1500quidporsche posted:

It is 100% this.

Unpopular opinion: If you like actual racing, passing, and high risk, NASCAR has always been better than F1. F1 is about personalities, spectacle, and the respect for thin margins of error and insane engineering.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Unpopular opinion: If you like actual racing, passing, and high risk, NASCAR has always been better than F1. F1 is about personalities, spectacle, and the respect for thin margins of error and insane engineering.

Nascar has been dogshit for racing in the last ten years.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Counterpoint: passing isn't entertaining when it's incredibly easy.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

After trying to watch the ESPN cast, I said screw it, and got :filez: and had a much better time. God, that was a shitshow.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The GT racing has always been the tin top version of F1

https://www.blancpain-gt-series.com

Next race 10 days away and it’s free to stream live,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zZ1GGt1Vag

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

NtotheTC posted:

Not being facetious, I missed most of the race. Were there actually any good battles? All I saw was Lewis being unable to pass Vettel despite being faster, Ricciardo being unable to overtake Kimi despite being faster, and Verstappen being unable to overtake whoever he was behind despite being faster. I put that down to the track being godawful, which it has been for years.

How many on track overtakes were there during the race?

4-8 (the Red Bulls, Haas'es, McLarens and Renaults) were super close (especially before Haas done goofed)

Basticle fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 26, 2018

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Counterpoint: passing isn't entertaining when it's incredibly easy.

There was difficult passing in F1 in the 80s, they'd have their nose up the rear end of the car infront for 1/3rd of the race. There's nothing difficult about passing now, you either need a 1.5 seconds a lap differential to make the pass or you have to sit 2 seconds behind to not kill the engine in tires.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
To be honest I'm completely numb to all the overtaking discourse because growing up there were shitloads of editorials and posts about how the lack of overtaking in F1 was killing the sport every single season, except during the DRS years where people instead switched to too much overtaking in F1 killing the sport.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Passing shouldn't be easy (see: drs), getting alongside someone should be. Side by side is exciting.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ilmucche posted:

Passing shouldn't be easy (see: drs), getting alongside someone should be. Side by side is exciting.

People aren't smart enough to understand that nuanced difference. Like let's not kid ourselves here, the lowest any of the drivers for the top three teams finished when they had to start from the back last year was like 6 or 7th, it is not difficult to pass in this sport.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1500quidporsche posted:

It is 100% this.
We had this literal argument last year after no-one overtook in Melbourne and then OH LOW it wasn't an issue for the rest of the season save from Monaco.

Melbourne is just poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Khablam posted:

We had this literal argument last year after no-one overtook in Melbourne and then OH LOW it wasn't an issue for the rest of the season save from Monaco.

Melbourne is just poo poo.

They recorded about 60% as many on-track overtakes in 2017 as they did in 2016. I'm not saying they made the sport worse or unwatchable but they legitimately did make overtaking harder.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The race we had in Melbourne was much more entertaining than if Hamilton/Ricciardo/Verstappen could've just waltzed past Vettel/Raikkonen/Alonso.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Bottas did a lot of overtaking, so did Ricciardo. There was plenty. It wasn't at the part of the pack that counted but it was still there. Verstappen probably could have if he wasn't such an impatient bitch.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

1500quidporsche posted:

People aren't smart enough to understand that nuanced difference. Like let's not kid ourselves here, the lowest any of the drivers for the top three teams finished when they had to start from the back last year was like 6 or 7th, it is not difficult to pass in this sport.

This is a good take. It really all stems from a sport that allows for tremendous imbalances in resources and the monstrous cost to really fix something from the ground-up if you aren't competitive on your first try.

NASCAR standardizes drat near everything, including engine specs, the only major differences come from the build quality.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

Bottas did a lot of overtaking, so did Ricciardo. There was plenty. It wasn't at the part of the pack that counted but it was still there. Verstappen probably could have if he wasn't such an impatient bitch.

Bottas had overtaken 2 cars by lap 21. The rest of his position gains were from pits.
Dan overtook a guy who made a mistake.
What race where you watching.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When Scuderia Ferrari wins Formula One is a great and epic sport.
When cheating teams like Mercedes and RBR win the sport turns into a disgrace.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Verstappen was extremely bad

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Gigi Galli posted:

That was my main takeaway from the race.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

1500quidporsche posted:

I like the comment about jamming your nose to their tail. If they could do that, rattle the guy ahead, poke down the inside and force an error, just get in their business it would be way more interesting.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So they introduced updates to help with tyre deg and fuel consumption?

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

The race has some intresting battles, but none of them were for podium spots... That's my hot take.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sneaky Wombat posted:

The race has some intresting battles, but none of them were for podium spots... That's my hot take.

drat has this ever happened before in the history of F1

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/NippyPerfumedAndeancat.webm

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sneaky Wombat posted:

My hot take is that there was like a 30 lap battle for the lead.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

F1 at Road America when?

it'll never happen :smith:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

iospace posted:

F1 at Road America when?

Tracks like Watkins Glen or Laguna Seca or Road Atlanta are far too small and would require far too much work to get FIA certified but I think RA would work wouldnt it? (I realize you say not gonna happen because lol F1 in Wisconsin)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

iospace posted:

F1 at Road America when?

You mean Road Atlanta surely