Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

socialsecurity posted:

Influence determines your income, your best investments are unique buildings like the curse removal/tavern as they are way bigger boosts then say a mining camp. Once you can build the square save up for it then Institute as it has useful upgrades. Unfortunately the grind is high and if you play the game with any sort of speed you will outpace your kingdom by far.

Hmm crud, thanks... I still have way more buildings than people (I just upgraded the kingdom to level 2), but if it's that grindy I'll probably fill my coffers through idling once or twice just to kickstart some of the bigger contributors to revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Boy, Chapter 7 might as well be titled: Infinite Sidequest Time

Not that I mind. The main story is just something I do in-between making my kingdom better and cooler. It's kinda great how every time you feel like you're making huge amounts of money you unlock a new tier of stuff to upgrade that costs craploads to keep you humble. I'm gonna be sad when I max out this whole thing.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Boy, Chapter 7 might as well be titled: Infinite Sidequest Time

Not that I mind. The main story is just something I do in-between making my kingdom better and cooler. It's kinda great how every time you feel like you're making huge amounts of money you unlock a new tier of stuff to upgrade that costs craploads to keep you humble. I'm gonna be sad when I max out this whole thing.

True.

Also, don't be afraid of the warning you get. The situation it describes is pretty short and easy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish there was more melee weapon variety, and maybe the option for each character to use a second type of melee weapon. I get that it's a lot of work to animate, but I think it would've been a worthwhile addition, especially with the weapon swapping mechanic. I could see Roland also using spears, for example. Maybe add fist weapons as something Batu can use and one of the later characters, too. Daggers would fit right in, let Tani and Evan use them maybe.

Having a couple different weapon move sets to switch between would add a lot more weight to the weapon swapping, which right now is just "use your strongest weapon, switch to use a skill when something else hits 100% zing," which is kinda :shrug: as a gameplay system.

Right now I think the experience is carried entirely on the absolutely fantastic visuals and animation, and the real solid dialog writing. Level-5's localization team knows what they're doing. I'm not sure how many of the lines/names with puns and alliteration also have those kinds of things in Japanese, but either way, I love it and it's giving me a "Dragon Quest, but even more whimsical" vibe.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Just finished this lovely game. Endgame opinion:
Man, it was... alright. The story basically devolved to a point where I simply could not remotely give a poo poo come chapter 5. It feels like they didn't realise exactly how loving sick the president of the united nations shooting up Fantasy-Land with a glock is, because it only gets a little play. His chapter 7 treachery switcheroo was my favourite sequence in the entire game.
Building Evermore was surprisingly fun! ...but I've no real interest in raising my current 75 citizen population. Totally burned out on all this shallow sidequesting, fighting the same handful of bosses and enemies over and over. I'm more than satisfied by what I've already played through, so I'm glad I didn't get the Season Pass. The most baffling design choice is that you enrol people to your city whenever you finish their respective side-quests, removing them from wherever they are standing and downgrading them to tiny chibi models forever. As a result, lategame towns are almost completely desolate, and you can only see them in the ingame model viewer. Maybe I'm just insane but that feels like a waste of a fantastic world and character designs, it really bothers me! Also barely any cosmetic outfits is always a bummer. Ah well. Evan is my son and I want to draw Tani fanart.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Honestly I think there's more cosmetic costume changes for free than the vast majority of JRPGs, so it feels fine to me on that front (the problem is some of the very few you get are ugly as gently caress, what the hell is up with that lovely green coat for Roland christ).

By the way, does anyone know what/where spooky purple aura monster number 2 is? I assume it must be related to some sidequest I missed or something.

Edit: Nevermind, found it while doing an entirely unrelated sidequest. It also revealed where sidequest 27 was this whole time.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 26, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chapter 7: man I knew Roland of all people wouldn't betray anybody, flippin' eck mun

e: lol even as a frog Roland is still a handsome devil. And Evan knew all along :allears:

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 26, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man some of the sidequests in this game are pretty dang well hidden. One I just did required me to:

a) Have found an out-of-the-way cave
b) Have researched an optional spell that, as far as I can tell, serves only for this quest
c) Done a fairly easy sidequest in said cave
d) Left the cave, turned around, walked back in to get a sidequest that lets you recruit a guy
e) By the way said sidequest actually has a relatively hard boss so I hope you saved recently

I'm finding all this poo poo while trying to figure out where the hell Sundown Woods are.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Honestly I think there's more cosmetic costume changes for free than the vast majority of JRPGs, so it feels fine to me on that front (the problem is some of the very few you get are ugly as gently caress, what the hell is up with that lovely green coat for Roland christ).

By the way, does anyone know what/where spooky purple aura monster number 2 is? I assume it must be related to some sidequest I missed or something.

Edit: Nevermind, found it while doing an entirely unrelated sidequest. It also revealed where sidequest 27 was this whole time.

Can you tell me where it is, I still haven't found it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Regy Rusty posted:

Can you tell me where it is, I still haven't found it.

Spineshiver Grove, a forest pretty close to Evermore.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh I found that, didn't know what to do with the lost soul and the tainted enemy was way over my level and killed the gently caress out of me.
Don't have to worry too much about saving though, it always auto saves before you start a battle with those.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Level up your magic lab and you'll get research for a speak-with-dead spell. I'm assuming that's the key.

Tainted monsters are weird. Googah wrecked me but so far the higher-level ones have all been easy, just because they have longer tells for their attacks. You can see the monster's type and guess its attack element easy enough, so make use of that Tactic Tweaker. Nothing can stop you if you're tweaking hard enough.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think it's either laziness or trying to play up Roland as ludicrously genre-savvy. The true secret of the president of the not-USA is that he's a huge weeb so when he found himself in an alternate world with cat and mouse people as a younger version of himself he just went "Score, time to live out my anime dreams."

Jokes aside, I do think he probably realized nearly immediately that he couldn't exactly just go home, no one knows how he got there and crying about it won't help. So might as well just help this random catboy become king of the world. Maybe that's even him being extra genre savvy. "You know, in these kinds of stories the summoned hero has to do some sort of important task and I did get teleported literally into this kid's bedroom, so that's PROBABLY it."

That's my headcanon anyways.

it could also be his dying fever dream to as his brain is being cooked by the fallout and burning car.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Roland just dropped that he's a dad at the end of this random rear end sidequest. So not only is he the worst president he's also a bad dad.

Lmaooo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Roland just dropped that he's a dad at the end of this random rear end sidequest. So not only is he the worst president he's also a bad dad.

Lmaooo

That whole "yeah, I'm gonna just choose to stay here, gently caress going home" line was really weird, especially given how early it was. If it had just been like, "I have no idea if I can go home, but while I'm here I think I can do some good by helping you" or something it'd make so much more sense.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lmaooo

gently caress me really, this game loving amazing, lol. maybe he was that universes trump and he doesn't really care about his kids and he was trying to flee office before the world nuked his capital.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

That whole "yeah, I'm gonna just choose to stay here, gently caress going home" line was really weird, especially given how early it was. If it had just been like, "I have no idea if I can go home, but while I'm here I think I can do some good by helping you" or something it'd make so much more sense.

i mean its for kids i guess? idk.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Should've just made Roland super into anime and video games so he's like, "Oh hey I know how this goes. I'm gonna have to go on a journey to go home. That's how this works. I will journey with you, Weird Cat-Kid King, and have adventures until I can go home."

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Should've just made Roland super into anime and video games so he's like, "Oh hey I know how this goes. I'm gonna have to go on a journey to go home. That's how this works. I will journey with you, Weird Cat-Kid King, and have adventures until I can go home."

I mean in the same side-quest where we learn he is a Dad he also reveals his method of coping with bullies when he was a child was to learn how to use a sword. Pretty sure President Roland is a dork.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you look at his profile in the character guide it tells you his kid is very ill too so, uh...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

I appreciate that some of the game's writing acknowledges it's a video game. "Here's a magic wristband that stores all your weapons. Don't think about it too much."

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress me really, this game loving amazing, lol. maybe he was that universes trump and he doesn't really care about his kids and he was trying to flee office before the world nuked his capital.

Roland did the nukes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

If you look at his profile in the character guide it tells you his kid is very ill too so, uh...

I mean, maybe at some point the game does a thing where we find out Roland's all gung-ho about this adventure as a means of escaping from his problems back home and he's unwilling to face his fears and anxieties about his own world or something

But probably not, given the reactions of people much farther into the game than I am

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I mean, maybe at some point the game does a thing where we find out Roland's all gung-ho about this adventure as a means of escaping from his problems back home and he's unwilling to face his fears and anxieties about his own world or something

But probably not, given the reactions of people much farther into the game than I am

it'd be easy to do too. Yeah im gonna stay in fantasy land to avoid the thermonuclear war that just broke out. sucks for my country but my approval rating sucked anyway so gently caress em.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

so he has/had a critically ill kid. that makes it kinda more hosed up. either he is trying to escape the death of his kid or he abandoned his kid in a nuclear hellscape.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay , so I'm the president and a major american city is destroyed via ICBM but that's okay because we aren't talking about that and now I'm young again and the rats are pulling a coup on the cats in the fantasy mirror world so I guess thats life now and also blam blam blam. This is maybe half an hour in. is this story gonna slow down and catch it's breath? Also, I haven't played the first game since it came out, are there any particularly important world building details I need to remember for this?

Because I think everyone's soulmates might be ever so slightly irradiated now.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

OK, I take it back, Chapter 9 is the real YOU WANT SIDEQUESTS? HERE HAVE SIDEQUESTS. Chapter. Christ almighty they just dump a ton of em on you.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gonna come clean. Start of the game was easy but my characters are dying a poo poo ton around sciencetown. Like everything has red names and I'm wondering if I was supposed to stop and grind for awhile. I've been doing all the sidequests I can and I dont' avoid encounters so I'm not sure why i'm lagging so far behind :S

I also got the final party Member so Evan, sorry main character boy but your gone. Now I have Gun President, Science Lady and Literally Shulk.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I retract what I said earlier about there being barely any costumes in the game. Turns out I just happened to not complete a couple sidequests I already had activated that had some as rewards. There's also a few in the brown/blue treasure chests dotted around the world map
It's a shame the songs you play at the Evermore Symphonium don't persist, it'd do this wonderful soundtrack a little more justice if you can listen to the songs you've unlocked while doing King Business.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Only way this game could be improved would be if all of Lofty's lines had VO

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, that Rosehip Tart quest is such a troll. You get it really early in the game (like chapter 5 or something IIRC?) but you can't actually complete it until post-game. And it sounds really simple too!

As for costumes, I think each character gets 3 + their default. One for each character is in chests scattered around the world map, one comes from random quests or purple monsters and one comes from a half-dozen post-game quests that you can do once you hit Kingdom Level 4. Evan gets one extra.

And for some reason they don't include the costumes that are ALREADY IN THE GAME. Why can't I have Roland in a suit, Level-5!?

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 27, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Caidin posted:

Okay , so I'm the president and a major american city is destroyed via ICBM but that's okay because we aren't talking about that and now I'm young again and the rats are pulling a coup on the cats in the fantasy mirror world so I guess thats life now and also blam blam blam. This is maybe half an hour in. is this story gonna slow down and catch it's breath? Also, I haven't played the first game since it came out, are there any particularly important world building details I need to remember for this?

Because I think everyone's soulmates might be ever so slightly irradiated now.

The main story will calm down quite a bit, and quite soon. You won't need to know anything about the first game.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gonna come clean. Start of the game was easy but my characters are dying a poo poo ton around sciencetown. Like everything has red names and I'm wondering if I was supposed to stop and grind for awhile. I've been doing all the sidequests I can and I dont' avoid encounters so I'm not sure why i'm lagging so far behind :S

I also got the final party Member so Evan, sorry main character boy but your gone. Now I have Gun President, Science Lady and Literally Shulk.

I'm getting that impression too. I think my spells & equipment might be underdeveloped.

And check your skill lists. Evan's 3-MP skill has a stronger base power than anything else you've got. You can also research a revive spell for him and Tani if you're really having trouble.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 27, 2018

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I think the kingdom building would be better if the empty plots weren’t locked to certain facilities and we were able to place things wherever we wanted. Maybe have things like the shipyard locked to the water plot but everything else can go wherever.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Game is adorable

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Overbite posted:

I think the kingdom building would be better if the empty plots weren’t locked to certain facilities and we were able to place things wherever we wanted. Maybe have things like the shipyard locked to the water plot but everything else can go wherever.

In a JRPG I don't mind it. It lets you know what you should be looking at and while it's somewhat of a pain to find stuff, it's still OK. In a true city builder that would be a terrible design decision but here it works well enough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there any good kingdom-building guides to make sure I get the important stuff at a good rate? The only ones I can really find so far are video guides by like GameSpot and I distrust those by default.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Are there any good kingdom-building guides to make sure I get the important stuff at a good rate? The only ones I can really find so far are video guides by like GameSpot and I distrust those by default.

I'm pretty sure you don't need this. Just build what seems useful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fair enough! I actually haven't gotten to the kingdom-building yet so it might be a lot simpler than it sounds :v:

For some reason I thought I should go finish the story of FFXV before I really dug into Ni no Kuni II but it's becoming increasingly clear it's not super worth it so back to Ni no Kuni it is

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Explorer's Guild has research to boost your overworld travel speed and the Institute of Innovation makes all your other kingdom-building easier, so those might be good first targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Spell research unlocks dungeons and is where you get the spell to unlock chests I'd do that first.

• Locked thread