Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Sounds like a whole lot of horse poo poo and reads like any other review from generic tech reviewers who kinda knows enough, but not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

Parker Lewis posted:

From what I’ve read, the 650/6xx are notorious for needing a powerful amp to live up to their potential. My 6xx are coming on Tuesday and I’m curious to see how they sound with my Magni 3.

Yes. In my experience with my PC at least. I got my Schiit stack because my 6XX needed a bit more in some situations.

Be careful though. That led me down a rabbit hole to buying a pair of Focal Clears.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

$300 total for a Magni 3 and 6XX seems like a good stopping point before before hitting diminishing returns for a lot more money.

Yeah right after that is where the diminishing returns kick in hard. I was expecting the big open planars to be great, but they all disappointed me in some ways. They do certain things better, but they all seemed to have some kind of major problem... whether it's sibilance or missing an octave or being too heavy... usually a combination of the three.

It looks like somebody found a way to combine all the mechanical disadvantages of IEMs and full size headphones into one awful package.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Really the only ones I ever see go on sale are the QC25s. I can't remember the last time I saw the 35s go on sale.

Yeah, I figured. I see some Q35 refurbs on ebay for 250 but maybe it's better to just splurge for a new one. QC25s probably won't work since not wireless. Guess I'll setup some price alerts on the QC35s and the sony 1000xM2 and see if I get lucky.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The external shell for those should include elements from HR Geiger to more adequately convey the nightmare inside.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Budget - 130-160 USD is a good range. Prefer options on Amazon.
Source - Various computers with and without amps. Something I don't need to amp is ideal.
Isolation Requirements - I tend to like the isolation from a closed pair, but if I'll get significantly better sound quality I'm happy to go with a open pair rather than a closed one. I'm less worried about bleed out than bleed in in general.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear ideally,
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like the bass level on the ATH M50s, wouldn't like to go too much higher, and prob not lower.
Past Headphones - ATHM50s are my current preferred headphones.
Preferred Music - I listen to literally everything.

Removable cords are cool.

Headphones were stolen, need a new pair, wanna try something new. :v:

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
^ Closed-back: AKG K553, especially if you want something smoother and with better detail than the M50s, and don't mind a hint of a brighter tone.

Open back: Sennheiser HD 558 and HD 599 are excellent and amazingly comfy. Both are comparatively warmer sounding than the AKG. The HD 558 has a lighter treble than the HD 599, but overall they're quite similar.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

everythingWasBees posted:

Budget - 130-160 USD is a good range. Prefer options on Amazon.
Source - Various computers with and without amps. Something I don't need to amp is ideal.
Isolation Requirements - I tend to like the isolation from a closed pair, but if I'll get significantly better sound quality I'm happy to go with a open pair rather than a closed one. I'm less worried about bleed out than bleed in in general.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear ideally,
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like the bass level on the ATH M50s, wouldn't like to go too much higher, and prob not lower.
Past Headphones - ATHM50s are my current preferred headphones.
Preferred Music - I listen to literally everything.

Removable cords are cool.

Headphones were stolen, need a new pair, wanna try something new. :v:

DT770 Pro 32ohms are good.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

grack posted:

So one graph on THD and that means that the Sundaras "wipe the floor" with the Focal Utopia? Tyll compares the Sundaras to the Focal Clears in that review and calls the Clears much better headphones.

I had a chance to hear the Focal Utopias at a show. I could not find a single fault with them, but for the price one would hope for that. At the same time, they didn't "blow my mind" or anything. They just sounded like a really great stereo speaker system. I think the audiophile reviews get a bit carried away, and above $1k these things do start to act like veblen goods. What on earth could the Abyss Phi or Susvaras be doing $2000 better than Utopias? It gets difficult to disentangle an objective assessment of these things from the review machine designed to prey on people's upgrade-itis, and then the confirmation bias people take on trying to justify their dubious purchases after the fact.

The HD800S and HiFiMan Edition X impressed me nearly as much as Utopias for a fraction of the price (impressed enough that I flat out bought one) but I wouldn't call those 'giant killers' considering those are still >$1000 headphones. If the Sundaras are better than the HE-560s, then yeah, I could see them being super disruptive. Then that would be a pretty great pair of headphones... and I hope they are!

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

There's already another drop for the HD 6XX, in case anyone didn't get in last time.

Just to triple-check before I join in, the HD 6XX is basically just an HD 650 with a different colour scheme and cable, right? That seems to be what the description, measurements, and anybody else is saying.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 22, 2018

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Grog posted:

There's already another drop for the HD 6XX, in case anyone didn't get in last time.

Just to triple-check before I join in, the HD 6XX is basically just an HD 650 with a different colour scheme and cable, right? That seems to be what the description, measurements, and anybody else is saying.

Correct. Buy now!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

p. much sums it up

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

p. much sums it up

My housemate bought them based on that review article alone. $500 Aussie plus shipping I think. Good times

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

edit - nvm

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 23, 2018

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hey so I've encountered a problem with my recent purchase of Tzumi Probuds True Wireless bluetooth headphones.

Unlike the last two pairs I owned (which died on me), this pair seems to have a problem where the sound when playing phone games is several seconds delayed from my actions in the game. So if I tap, it's between 1 whole second at best to up to 3-5 seconds at it's worse.

If there's something I could do to fix it (I've tried restarting both devices multiple times) that'd be great, but I'm assuming I need to trade them in for a different pair.

So I'd be interested in recommendations for true wireless headphones, I basically just want them so I can play my phone game while on the treadmill with minimal risk of faceplanting via karate chopping wires.

I'd be okay with the kind where the wire goes to both pods but it seems like the second pair I owned that were like that died almost immediately because of neck sweat. :(

Budget - 100$ or less.
Source - Android Sony Xperia A1 Ultra.
Isolation Requirements - N/A
Preferred Type of Headphone - True Wireless where it's two separate pods with no wires between them; but if it makes a different then I'd be okay with the kind where there's a wire in between as long as there isn't a wire to the phone.
Preferred Tonal Balance - N/A
Past Headphones:
I originally had "Lavi X Sports Wireless Earbud Headset" albeit Amazon calls them something different. Right earpod died on me and won't turn on any more, currently seeing if Luxa will honour the manufactuers warranty, I just hate mailing stuff; but this is likely my #1 solution is just get a replacement of these.

The I had Skullcandy Ink'd they were on sale and okay, though the neck thing would occasionally be a little annoying and move around when stretching. But it seems sweat kills them? I had two whole trips to the gym before they died. I got them from a Staples/Bureau en Gros so I just walked back and replaced them.

Currently I own Tzumi ProBuds, sound quality seems nice and they're comfy but as I mentioned they're poo poo when playing games. I want to replace these with something better.

Preferred Music - Weeb crap; games.

I just wanna make it clear that the audio delay issue was not at all present with the previous two pairs and seems isolated to the Tzumi's.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hey so I've encountered a problem with my recent purchase of Tzumi Probuds True Wireless bluetooth headphones.

Unlike the last two pairs I owned (which died on me), this pair seems to have a problem where the sound when playing phone games is several seconds delayed from my actions in the game. So if I tap, it's between 1 whole second at best to up to 3-5 seconds at it's worse.

If there's something I could do to fix it (I've tried restarting both devices multiple times) that'd be great, but I'm assuming I need to trade them in for a different pair.

So I'd be interested in recommendations for true wireless headphones, I basically just want them so I can play my phone game while on the treadmill with minimal risk of faceplanting via karate chopping wires.

I'd be okay with the kind where the wire goes to both pods but it seems like the second pair I owned that were like that died almost immediately because of neck sweat. :(

Budget - 100$ or less.
Source - Android Sony Xperia A1 Ultra.
Isolation Requirements - N/A
Preferred Type of Headphone - True Wireless where it's two separate pods with no wires between them; but if it makes a different then I'd be okay with the kind where there's a wire in between as long as there isn't a wire to the phone.
Preferred Tonal Balance - N/A
Past Headphones:
I originally had "Lavi X Sports Wireless Earbud Headset" albeit Amazon calls them something different. Right earpod died on me and won't turn on any more, currently seeing if Luxa will honour the manufactuers warranty, I just hate mailing stuff; but this is likely my #1 solution is just get a replacement of these.

The I had Skullcandy Ink'd they were on sale and okay, though the neck thing would occasionally be a little annoying and move around when stretching. But it seems sweat kills them? I had two whole trips to the gym before they died. I got them from a Staples/Bureau en Gros so I just walked back and replaced them.

Currently I own Tzumi ProBuds, sound quality seems nice and they're comfy but as I mentioned they're poo poo when playing games. I want to replace these with something better.

Preferred Music - Weeb crap; games.

I just wanna make it clear that the audio delay issue was not at all present with the previous two pairs and seems isolated to the Tzumi's.

Whatever you end up buying just make sure it's "sports" or waterproof, if your intended use is still workout related. Yes, sweat kills electronics and audio gear.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Grog posted:

Eugh, I hate that money is so tight right now. Hopefully these will keep popping up all year. It would be pretty nice to have these, AKG 7XX and HiFiman 4XX to write about back to have to back.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I'm looking for a set of over ear headphones which ideally be wireless. It can be wired/wireless, in some cases a wire doesn't matter but there are moments where I'd definitely like to use them wireless. Soundwise I've got no requirements, I know nothing of audio and can barely hear the difference between an mp3 from the late 90's and a flac file (slightly exaggerated).

I have no idea what's good and not except my gutfeeling that Bose/Beats are incredibly overpriced (which seems to be confirmed by the OP).

Budget - 100-180 euro
Source - Computers, laptops and smartphones/tablets
Isolation Requirements - I'm going to wear it at noisy places and ideally would love to shut out all surrounding sound. It would be nice if it didn't leak my sound to the outside world either.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear is a must
Preferred Tonal Balance - No real preference as long as bass isn't completely crap.
Past Headphones - I've had a pair of old wired Sony's for probably 10+ years that were really nice (around 80 bucks back in the day). I tried 2 pairs of Sennheisers for a while but I don't like the way it feels on my ears/head (and don't like the oval looks either).
Preferred Music - Everything from pop to rap and classical to house music.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those of you who use a Magni 3 and have the pre-outs hooked up, does the Magni's volume knob just work as a pure attenuator in that case or do they put gain on the preouts as well?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

I'm looking for a set of over ear headphones which ideally be wireless. It can be wired/wireless, in some cases a wire doesn't matter but there are moments where I'd definitely like to use them wireless. Soundwise I've got no requirements, I know nothing of audio and can barely hear the difference between an mp3 from the late 90's and a flac file (slightly exaggerated).

I have no idea what's good and not except my gutfeeling that Bose/Beats are incredibly overpriced (which seems to be confirmed by the OP).

Budget - 100-180 euro
Source - Computers, laptops and smartphones/tablets
Isolation Requirements - I'm going to wear it at noisy places and ideally would love to shut out all surrounding sound. It would be nice if it didn't leak my sound to the outside world either.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear is a must
Preferred Tonal Balance - No real preference as long as bass isn't completely crap.
Past Headphones - I've had a pair of old wired Sony's for probably 10+ years that were really nice (around 80 bucks back in the day). I tried 2 pairs of Sennheisers for a while but I don't like the way it feels on my ears/head (and don't like the oval looks either).
Preferred Music - Everything from pop to rap and classical to house music.

if you're wanting a wired solution that's noise cancelling, would strongly suggest the anc9's from audio technica. amazing at their pricepoint.
https://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-ANC9-QuietPoint-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B007KWLF5K

first gen sony hear.on's should be right in that nice little ballpark of what you're needing, and if you look around they can be had for as little as $100 USD. probably the best deal on wireless ANC headphones out there since they were the first sony headphone designed to compete with Bose's QuietComfort 35 Series.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01CQXGM5K/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&mv_color_name=1&qid=1522011531&sr=1-2

stretching more? strongly suggest the sony hear.on 2's or the bose quietcomfort 35 series 1
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WH-H900...ords=Sony+H900n
https://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietCo...quietcomfort+35

finally if you don't need anc, you want something that's comfortable to wear and thoroughly covers over your ears, and you want the best sound you can get in your price range for closed headphones, Beyerdynamic DT770 32 ohm cans will do you you very well. super easy to drive unlike their pro series.. no anc, but these cans sound great and will hold up forever. their only downside is that they're not compact like the others mentioned. so if portability is a big thing, I'd go with any of the other headphones.
https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic...ic+dt770+32+ohm

5-HT fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 25, 2018

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

5-HT posted:

if you're wanting a wired solution that's noise cancelling, would strongly suggest the anc9's from audio technica. amazing at their pricepoint.
https://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-ANC9-QuietPoint-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B007KWLF5K

first gen sony hear.on's should be right in that nice little ballpark of what you're needing, and if you look around they can be had for as little as $100 USD. probably the best deal on wireless ANC headphones out there since they were the first sony headphone designed to compete with Bose's QuietComfort 35 Series.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01CQXGM5K/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&mv_color_name=1&qid=1522011531&sr=1-2

stretching more? strongly suggest the sony hear.on 2's or the bose quietcomfort 35 series 1
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WH-H900...ords=Sony+H900n
https://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietCo...quietcomfort+35

finally if you don't need anc, you want something that's comfortable to wear and thoroughly covers over your ears, and you want the best sound you can get in your price range for closed headphones, Beyerdynamic DT770 32 ohm cans will do you you very well. super easy to drive unlike their pro series.. no anc, but these cans sound great and will hold up forever. their only downside is that they're not compact like the others mentioned. so if portability is a big thing, I'd go with any of the other headphones.
https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic...ic+dt770+32+ohm

Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice. I am a little bit confused with the ANC recommendations though. The OP says you probably don’t need ANC if you take big / closed headphones. Does that still stand or is it outdated?
I was initially looking at ANC headphones until I read that.

As for the picks, the Bose QC’s are really out of my budget. They’re over twice as much as I’m willing to spent.

I really love the look of the Beyer Dynamic DT770 32 ohms. It’s not wireless though, right (or I missed that part of the specs entirely)? Are they really that good to consider skipping the ease of use of wireless headphones?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LochNessMonster posted:

What Hifi just did a fairly glowing review of the MDR-ZX770 which I guess are on closeout prices now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

What Hifi just did a fairly glowing review of the MDR-ZX770 which I guess are on closeout prices now.

I have a pair of these and they're solid. For sub-$100, I'd say they're a great buy. I think I paid like $75 on Ebay for a barely-used set.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice. I am a little bit confused with the ANC recommendations though. The OP says you probably don’t need ANC if you take big / closed headphones. Does that still stand or is it outdated?
I was initially looking at ANC headphones until I read that.

As for the picks, the Bose QC’s are really out of my budget. They’re over twice as much as I’m willing to spent.

I really love the look of the Beyer Dynamic DT770 32 ohms. It’s not wireless though, right (or I missed that part of the specs entirely)? Are they really that good to consider skipping the ease of use of wireless headphones?

they're not wireless no. there's no such thing as a wireless with big ear cups save for the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home Wireless which still isn't out in the USA, and costs at least $799 plus on release. really the Sony's that I suggested or qirex are your best bet for overall performance if wireless is a must. otherwise get the Beyerdynamics and be happy.

qirex posted:

they're not as good as the Sony hear.On's when it comes to overall quality, and the hear.On's can be found for between $95 - $130 which is perfect for the budget.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 26, 2018

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I just took a look at my pair of BT770 Pro 80Ohm because of crackling noises and figured it would be a couple of hairs. But I noticed I need new pads, foams etc or whatever it's called. Where can I get replacements for pretty cheap?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Amazon sells the original ones. I'd get them because they're comfy. If you want even cheaper and decent felt (not velour), I suggest wang_yifei on eBay.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Dekoni makes some really nice replacements. I had their memory foam ones and I really like those.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

just puilled the trigger on the audeze lcd-x creators package.... please don't tell me i just goofed

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

5-HT posted:

just puilled the trigger on the audeze lcd-x creators package.... please don't tell me i just goofed

Why though? I thought you felt your Sundaras were better than the Focal Utopia? Isn't the LCD-X a downgrade from that?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

D1E posted:

Why though? I thought you felt your Sundaras were better than the Focal Utopia? Isn't the LCD-X a downgrade from that?

utopia and focal headphones in general are just incredibly overhyped. I've demoed the elear and clear and I didn't like the sound on them that much. I can hear why people would like them but there's are a few things that put me off about them. sennheiser hd800's are a overrated too. great sound stage, but terrible when it comes to representing timber and tonality so they need to be EQ'ed to be usable, which is just asinine. even the 800s behaves like this. $1199 for a planar designed to compete with these headphones is very appealing.

and the lcd-x in particular is attractive to me because it has a sound signature that looks like an hd-650 or hd-600 but with better bass extension and other improvements sound wise. maybe a little on the warm side, but it would provide a good contrast for my mixes between something subtly cooler like the Sundara and warmer like the lcd-x. if it sounds like it measures I'll be keeping them.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I hate to break it to you, but to get the soundstage and the clarity of the HD800 along with the bass extension of the LCDs, you will indeed have to spend $4000.

In other words, both headphones are good and have their ups and downs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
While there is value in finding headphones with a sound signature you already prefer, minor differences in tuning (as long as they aren't extreme) don't make headphones objectively better or worse. Speaking about them as if they did only makes you look like a massive, massive tool.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Have headphone people got into DSP stuff? I'd imagine measurement is difficult but a miniDSP is like a fraction of what some of these tweakos spend on slightly changing their sound signature with new headphones.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

5-HT posted:

utopia and focal headphones in general are just incredibly overhyped. I've demoed the elear and clear and I didn't like the sound on them that much.

This is that thing where you make a broad, declarative statement that sounds like a fact, but is actually just your opinion, which doesn't track with most people's experience. You should stop doing this.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

qirex posted:

Have headphone people got into DSP stuff? I'd imagine measurement is difficult but a miniDSP is like a fraction of what some of these tweakos spend on slightly changing their sound signature with new headphones.

kind of...

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Constellation I posted:

Amazon sells the original ones. I'd get them because they're comfy. If you want even cheaper and decent felt (not velour), I suggest wang_yifei on eBay.

Thanks. I will probably get the originals.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

ntan1 posted:

I hate to break it to you, but to get the soundstage and the clarity of the HD800 along with the bass extension of the LCDs, you will indeed have to spend $4000.

In other words, both headphones are good and have their ups and downs.

gently caress, at least I'll have something warm to contrast w/ when I'm mixing. have too many bright headphones atm.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Is there a reasonably good standalone mic for ~$30 or so? My friend I game with's has been loving cacophonic whenever they nudge the wire wrong and it's their birthday soon so I figure now'd be a good time to save my ears.

I saw people talking about modmic in the past few pages, but my friend abuses their wires a bit so I'd rather get one they can just plonk on their desk and have sit there than something that has to be attached(?) to their headphones.

Also for price, from looking on Amazon a little bit, it seems like options open up a bunch at like $50 or so. Is there a significant jump in quality there compared to $30? I'd rather not spend that much but if it's the difference between buying junk and something that'll actually last then I could do.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Honestly, unless you want to buy them a mic arm too, then getting a standalone desk mic is going to be worse for your ears due to the amount of sound they pick up when on a desk, even the cardioid ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh no, I mean the current mic they use is basically broken. It definitely needs a replacement.

Point taken though, should I reconsider the modmics then?