Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Arrath posted:

Looks like a buffing or waxing wheel, so eye pro proooobably isn't strictly necessary...just smart.

I'd be wearing some

In my junior high shop class I remember one of the other kids letting go of the chunk of plastic he was buffing. The wheel grabbed it and flung it directly into his forehead just above the bridge of his nose. Enough blood that the teacher had to come and install a new buffing wheel on it.

After that, he wore safety glasses. I don't remember if he started buffing his stuff pointing down, though.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In my junior high shop class I remember one of the other kids letting go of the chunk of plastic he was buffing. The wheel grabbed it and flung it directly into his forehead just above the bridge of his nose. Enough blood that the teacher had to come and install a new buffing wheel on it.

Did the kid have to sit in the classroom while the teacher replaced the wheel, or did he at least let him go visit the school nurse?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

spog posted:

Did the kid have to sit in the classroom while the teacher replaced the wheel, or did he at least let him go visit the school nurse?

I don't remember. As a rational adult, I assume he went to the school nurse. However, now that I think about it, there's no way my shop teacher would have let something like that go by without additional embarrassment being doled out as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

redgubbinz posted:

I'm the lone earbud dangling from the nest of pubes in the buffer.

you're gross, mister

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

, there's no way my shop teacher would have let something like that go by without additional embarrassment being doled out as well.

Yeah, back in my day the teachers called us fags, pussies, stupid human being pussies, fuckin fags, bastards, sonsabitches, motherfuckers, faggotmotherfuckingsonsabitches and various other things when we hosed up or otherwise pissed them off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spog posted:

He had to stay so the teacher could install a new buffing wheel in his forehead.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

He had to stay so the teacher could install a new buffing wheel in his forehead.

Similar story: a kid in my woodshop class left a chuck key in the drill press and turned it on. Key went flying into the wall. Teacher walked up, threw the key out the door into the tall grass, and told the kid "every class, you come in, I'll take attendance, and then you can go out and look for the key. When you find it, you can come back and join the class." It took him about a week of 45 minute classes to find it.

I don't think any of us ever left a key in a chuck again, I know I haven't.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

True evil would have been to watch where the kid had looked, go find the chuck after school, and move it to somewhere he thought he'd already searched every day.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

sharkytm posted:

Similar story: a kid in my woodshop class left a chuck key in the drill press and turned it on. Key went flying into the wall. Teacher walked up, threw the key out the door into the tall grass, and told the kid "every class, you come in, I'll take attendance, and then you can go out and look for the key. When you find it, you can come back and join the class." It took him about a week of 45 minute classes to find it.

I bet that kid wishes he'd had a pocket radio and a calculator.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

sharkytm posted:

The lathe I inherited from my grandfather had a home made spring loaded chuck key - he had tacked a spring around the outside of the key and you needed to work against spring pressure to use it; if you didn't keep it held in, it'd fall out of the chuck almost instantly.

Still not sure why it's not an industry standard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

IPCRESS posted:

The lathe I inherited from my grandfather had a home made spring loaded chuck key - he had tacked a spring around the outside of the key and you needed to work against spring pressure to use it; if you didn't keep it held in, it'd fall out of the chuck almost instantly.

Still not sure why it's not an industry standard.

Every school shop I've been in, including our own, has those, but it's always obviously something that the shop teacher/master made themselves after the third or fourth time a chuck key went flying through a window. Just a hole drilled through the chuck body with a thick piece of spring-steel wire coiled around it.

I agree, I don't know why they aren't a standard.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The last five or so keys I've gotten with my tool purchases DO have a spring in them. All were Wen tools, though, so only low-tier companies are doing it?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The chuck keys for my dad's 20yo craftsman drillpress and 30yo makita hammer drill both have a spring-loaded tip. The key for the makita is so worn though that it gets jammed up in the chuck.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Grade ten Machine shop class. Guy left chuck key in Lathe chuck. Hit him in the chest. Luckily the lathe wasn't set to a really high speed.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Yr 11 metalworking, guy hit the go button with the lathe set to about 2000rpm and the chuck key in. Threw the key THROUGH the window into the teachers office and missed the head of technology by about 6".

They replaced the window with half an inch thick lexan after that.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
A previous job had the chuck key glued to the key for a mechanical interlock switch, so you had to put the chuck key back on its "holder" before the drill press would start.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The one on my pillar drill is welded to a chain so you get about 5 revolutions before unhappiness happens :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cakesmith handyman posted:

The one on my pillar drill is welded to a chain so you get about 5 revolutions before unhappiness happens :v:

That sounds worse than not having a chain.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

To be fair the failure mode is "stall out" rather than "kill"

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

iForge posted:

A previous job had the chuck key glued to the key for a mechanical interlock switch, so you had to put the chuck key back on its "holder" before the drill press would start.

How long did it take for somebody to get another chuck key and put it in the interlock so they didn't have to bother?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

At my shop, we had a nice lathe accident.

One of the manual lathes has a homemade rubber curtain that hangs down off the chuck cover to keep coolant from flinging off onto the operator. This old Vietnamese dude has used that machine for 20+ years with no issue. The moment the night shift supervisor used it, there was an accident.

First, the jaws were way extended and the backs were sticking out of the outside of the chuck to accomodate a larger diameter part than the jaws were cut for. Second, the old Viet guy would put the cover down, then start the machine. Our intrepid supervisor, who hasn't run a machine in 10+ years, starts the machine, and then puts the cover down, lowering the rubber right into the spinning jaws

He said it happened so fast he didn't even see it. The rubber got pulled into the back of the chuck and pulled his hand and the cover with it. Miraculously, he only had 3 bones in his hand broken and nerve damage. He thought he'd lost his hand. The carnage to the cover was truly awesome.

The other fun time was when we were mill-turning a 18" diameter ball and the part came out of the chuck with the dayshift lead man and customers present That 500+ lb chunk of inconel hosed the way covers up so bad and threw the machine out of square. This machine is 30+ feet long and on a 6 foot deep concrete slab that it's bolted to. Apparently it made a hell of a noise and the guy froze up bad.

Working in a machine shop owns. I have more stories.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

BloodBag posted:

Working in a machine shop owns. I have more stories.

:justpost:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wanna see that lathe that can hold a 500 lb part

And what uses are there for a 500lb ball of inconel anyways?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 26, 2018

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Since I'm on the safety committee I get to hear all the good ones.

The latest was from the shipping yard. Normally we get round stock in 20-30 foot lengths, usually solid inconel or a company proprietary blend that I cannot mention here (high nickel alloy Austenitic steel) or titanium. We really do mostly exotic metals for prototyping downhole stuff. Anyways, the stock is usually on flat beds on top of cribbing of some sort, like a few wood 4x4's and strapped to the trailer. Our guys will go out with a forklift or combi-lift and raise forks up to the bed and the driver rolls the bar stock onto the forks. It's a terrifying process when you're in the driver's seat to have 10k+ lbs of really expensive poo poo rolling towards you. I hated doing receiving for this reason.

This time, the trailer was not level, and the driver didn't give a single gently caress that our operator didn't have his forks up. He rolled that poo poo right off the trailer, hitting the ground and the forklift. 20 feet of inconel just hits the deck. Had someone been standing there, they would have certainly been injured or killed. I wish I could've been there to see it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Wanna see that lathe that can hold a 500 lb part

And what uses are there for a 500lb ball of inconel anyways?

It's a mixing ball for stirring crude oil coming off tankers/pipelines. Oil production is srs bizness and some of the parts are loving huge. Just look at a GE/Hydril seabed BOP/wellhead assembly, they have to move those from the highbays on the north beltway in Houston at night because they have to take the power lines down that cross the road to bring them to the port.

The machine is one of these: DMG Mori NT6600

The big boss dudes tout how that thing can unmount and mount a 6 foot boring bar. I've rarely seen that hunk of poo poo cut a good part. Since I'm a CMM programmer, I end up having to check the garbage that comes off them. Part lobing from chuck overpressure, runout problems, and general machine problems like them not being square or leveled. $2.5 million paperweights most of the time that can be replaced with two machines for half the cost. And we have 3 of the stupid things.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 26, 2018

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
It's me. I was spraying goof off on old weatherstrip adhesive yesterday and that poo poo flew right back into my eye. Of course I wasn't wearing eye protection, I'm just squirting some poo poo into a parabolic recess what could go wrong. Thank god it's not really that bad, and the SDS just says to rinse it out for fifteen minutes--no doctor's attention required.

I almost always wear eyepro in the garage but... I don't know I guess I'm just loving stupid sometimes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a pair of safety glasses with a scattered pattern of melted foggy spots across the lenses from when I was spraying carb cleaner into a tiny clogged passage and of course it just came right back out and hit me in the face.

I keep those ones to show to students who aren't wearing theirs

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

How much wood could a drill chuck chuck if a drill chuck chuck chucked wood

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

This is a horrible owner failure but definitely belongs here for negligent jackassery and it makes me sad.

My dad works for a small trucking company, like 7 trucks now I think. Owner is old and winding down the company, was 17 trucks a year ago or so.

Anyway my dad had one of the two nice trucks in the fleet. A few years old Kenworth with like 300k on it, some wicked Cummins (I think), dual stacks, gauges everywhere. It really hauled rear end. Saturday after he just got unloaded somewhere up north like 150 miles from home the oil pressure dropped to 15psi or so. He calls the boss and boss said something about oil filters collapsing recently and it should be fine just get it back to the shop. So my dad is driving it back, empty and hes having to downshift for hills. He calls the boss again and tells him that, hes never had to downshift that truck like ever and its way down on power, etc. Boss STILL says to drive it. What the gently caress. Dad says the dash is beeping, lights are flashing, its really bad. Inevitably it finally explodes, just massive catastrophic failure. All the coolant was gone when he opened the hood, definitely all in the oil pan.

There is no way the owner is going to fix it. Id guess thats a 30-40k dollar engine replacement. What a huge rear end in a top hat. He could have sent a guy from the shop with an oil filter at least but hes so cheap it cost him that truck. My dad is wicked pissed since all the other trucks are lovely Internationals. I dont know why but Ive been sad every time I about that truck. Itll never get fixed and it didnt have to die like that. Owner is a dick.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Sagebrush posted:

I have a pair of safety glasses with a scattered pattern of melted foggy spots across the lenses from when I was spraying carb cleaner into a tiny clogged passage and of course it just came right back out and hit me in the face.

I keep those ones to show to students who aren't wearing theirs

Or when I learned to always wear real gloves. I was adjusting the valves on my Honda ~2 years ago and one of the adjustment bolts was completely seized. I took off my gloves because I didn't want to get oil on that really nice pair of Mechanix :doh:. I started pulling really hard with my right hand braced against the side of the block, when my oily left hand slipped off the wrench and slammed my knuckle into a bolt on the exhaust shielding. It broke my finger, tore apart the joint capsule, never healed properly, contaminated my oil with blood, and still hurts every day.
With the gloves, I would've definitely still broken my finger, but I wouldn't have had my skin and connective tissue catch on the sharp corner of the bolt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was once hunched over inside one of our CNC mills trying to loosen a stuck bolt on a vise, hauling on an allen wrench with all my effort, and as I leaned into it I had this voice in my head go "you know, that piece of sharp sheet metal on the toolchanger is like, right in line where where I'm pushing, I should probably put on some gloves or --" and then the bolt broke loose and my hand of course slammed right into the sheet metal exactly where I was expecting and it ripped all the skin off my knuckles. :downs:

That was the first time I really realized what people mean when they talk about your "conscience"

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I just came up with an awesome idea that I need to patent immediately.

Never mind a spring-loaded breaker bar, while maybe cool in that it would prevent you from over-turning and blowing up your knuckles when a nut broke free, would likely kill somebody if they slipped and let it smack them in the face.

Well it was a neat idea anyway.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You could just put a loop guard on one like a sword.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Brass knuckles.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

um excuse me posted:

You could just put a loop guard on one like a sword.

But then how am I supposed to slide my lengths of pipe over the breaker bar, genius?!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My dad ruined a pretty nice wristwatch he forgot to take off before going to town on some steel tubing with an angle grinder.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Threaded hole on the pommel to attach a cheater bar adapter, duh.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

shy boy from chess club posted:

This is a horrible owner failure but definitely belongs here for negligent jackassery and it makes me sad.

I have a similar, but smaller-scale story.

I was driving a box truck with a lift gate at the time. The switch that controlled the gate had been slowly going out, and my repeated requests to management to fix it went ignored. Finally, it failed entirely - while on the freeway, in the down position. So I hear a horrendous grinding and see sparks, pull over, and find the lift has fully deployed. I can raise it up, but as soon as I release the switch it deploys again. Call management, describe the situation, they start trying to tell me to take the switch apart and see if I can't kludge it enough to finish the shift, at which point I tell them to send someone qualified to do that and hang up.

I don't know what that 1 AM emergency mechanic call cost them, but replacing the switch during the day while the truck was parked at their yard during the previous weeks of warning they'd had would've been a whole lot cheaper.

re lathe chucks, in high school I bent the gently caress out of a chuck key that way, but felt bad enough to go make a T out of half inch round stock and grind one end into a square of the correct size to replace the thing. Teacher was like "yeah, ok" and that was the end of it.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Being a teacher in workshops always adds to the fun and excitement when it comes to flying objects. I’m pretty careful in the way I teach chuck key stuff in that you hold onto it until your done and the key is removed which seems to help. I also make sure machine vices are going to hit the pedestal rather then the student.
When I was at school some hid a nail punch inside a bench grinder which flew out when the teacher turned it on. He’s lucky it hit flat to his face rather than point first. The electronics kids used to steal leds to put in power points around the school which isn’t so good for the power point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

When I was at school some hid a nail punch inside a bench grinder which flew out when the teacher turned it on. He’s lucky it hit flat to his face rather than point first. The electronics kids used to steal leds to put in power points around the school which isn’t so good for the power point.

what's a power point?

I like walking into electronics 100 labs and flipping the polarity of electrolytic caps when students aren't looking.