Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zil posted:

How often does this get abused? Because I can see someone less than ethical would go all out to reduce costs on their end by dinging your company left and right.

Maybe once or twice a month. Then it turns into a nasty blame game between sales, ordering, and IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

AlternateAccount posted:

Thankfully we don't really cover weekends, just business hours(but coast to coast), so thats flat all staff vs. all of my team.
And no, that doesn't cover the many weeks of vacation that are due every year.
The layoffs hit the company to an overall %, for some reason they hit desktop support at about a 30% higher rate than the company at large. And we were already understaffed by any metric you'd care to examine.

Yeah, you definitely need out. We have 5-6 dedicated desktop people for about 1k users. But they’re backed up by a 3 person phone support team (my team), an infrastructure team for network issues, and we contract out printers. We also only do 7:30am-5pm on weekdays. And it’s still a crush for them.

Users keep pushing for weekend/evening support, but no department has been willing to pony up the 100k to hire 3 more people.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe once or twice a month. Then it turns into a nasty blame game between sales, ordering, and IT

Reminds me of this one company we did business with. They had their MSSQL and Exchange backups break constantly. Like, it was happening every day or two. Things would be working fine, then suddenly they fail, and the errors coming from SQL/Exchange itself made no sense. Kept getting weird text like "non-sequential transactions" we had never seen before.

Eventually I was digging through a set of their logs and noticed something weird. The timestamp kept skipping around. Like the backup would be in progress, but it would go from like 11:44:12 to 23:45:01. Then a bit later, it would be back to 03:xx:xx. I went through a different log that showed date as well as time and saw the date was changing too.

Went back to them with this info and they said "oh yeah, sometimes we change the date so that transactions go through on a different day." Like rather than pre- or post-dating them, they were changing the system time. Further probing revealed they were cooking their books by dropping cancellations/refunds etc into past quarters to avoid messing with the current quarter's numbers.

All those time changes were playing havoc with their MSSQL and Exchange backups which were expecting transactions to have sequential timestamps so they could be replayed during restore.

Told them they must stop changing the system time if they wanted their backups to work. They refused. They kept calling in and escalating this poo poo. They were under a spineless partner who wouldn't back us up. This ended up being a trend; the partner was terrible. Eventually we had to drop the client AND the partner.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Bob Morales posted:

Customer's ordering system allows them to place orders with due dates in the past. I'm sure for some reason this is intended behavior, but would like to know how/why that came to be (just for shits and giggles)

This works out great because if someone doesn't catch it on our end, and contact the buyer to fix the date, we get dinged for a late or missing shipment :haw:

Literally perfect av/post combo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lmao what sort of partner wouldn’t go “you’re insane, stop doing that”.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

Lmao what sort of partner wouldn’t go “you’re insane, stop doing that”.

Large store chain you might have heard of that rhymes with Paul Blart

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Reminds me of this one company we did business with. They had their MSSQL and Exchange backups break constantly. Like, it was happening every day or two. Things would be working fine, then suddenly they fail, and the errors coming from SQL/Exchange itself made no sense. Kept getting weird text like "non-sequential transactions" we had never seen before.

Eventually I was digging through a set of their logs and noticed something weird. The timestamp kept skipping around. Like the backup would be in progress, but it would go from like 11:44:12 to 23:45:01. Then a bit later, it would be back to 03:xx:xx. I went through a different log that showed date as well as time and saw the date was changing too.

Went back to them with this info and they said "oh yeah, sometimes we change the date so that transactions go through on a different day." Like rather than pre- or post-dating them, they were changing the system time. Further probing revealed they were cooking their books by dropping cancellations/refunds etc into past quarters to avoid messing with the current quarter's numbers.

Also similar story:

For the same customer, we use some service software so that field techs can go in and enter the work they have done, and parts used, so we can pay them.

We're in the Eastern time zone. At least one lady that works for a service company that's in California likes to enter her invoices at night. So if she does them after 9:00, they show up as being completed on the next day because of time zones.

Someone gets the great idea to datestamp it as the day before if they are entered before 3:00am, which sounds great, but guess what, anything you run at night doesn't catch that stuff because it's not in the system yet...

The whole problem boiled down to this: this vendor grades people based upon how fast they can finish a job. If you take over 48 hours to accept a ticket, you get docked, poo poo like that. Our simpletons in service were using days from a datefield to do this math. So, if a provider did the work that day, and invoiced that day, they were a day late if they invoiced it after 9:00pm

My solution: Why don't you guys use hours instead of days for your reports? Then they're actually accurate and you're not going to gently caress people over by sending them tickets after 5pm (they lose a whole day before they accept in the morning), etc.

So they use hours instead of days. Our service technician grades all shot up like 15% the next month :haw:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah, you definitely need out. We have 5-6 dedicated desktop people for about 1k users. But they’re backed up by a 3 person phone support team (my team), an infrastructure team for network issues, and we contract out printers. We also only do 7:30am-5pm on weekdays. And it’s still a crush for them.

Users keep pushing for weekend/evening support, but no department has been willing to pony up the 100k to hire 3 more people.

Lol, yeah they told us once that we needed to come up with a nights and weekends on call rotation. Volume of off-hours calls would be very low, but the person on the hook is still "at work" and can't behave as if they are off. I said welp, you can either hire some people to cover that, or give me money to pay extra for people to be working those hours, and so of course the notion died.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

So after this round of layoffs, my team which handles desktop support for multiple sites spanning the entire US will drop to a ratio of over two hundred employees to each staffer from the already difficult ~130:1. Ffffffffuuuuuuuuu it's time to go.

I'm at 250:1 and rising... because the company is expanding and IT keeps getting it's budget cut.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My team is at around a 20:1 user:tech ratio.

And even then, the small number of users we have to directly support are pretty low maintenance. We do a lot of project work though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm the poo poo pissing me off today:

We deployed a new phone system last year, Cisco UC blah blah blah.
We had a contractor do most of the heavy listing, but I managed the project and assisted with a bunch of stuff.
One of the things we did was automate the creation/removal of users in the UCM. Specifically, if the ipPhone field in AD is populated with a 4-digit extension, the user and dn are created automatically, if that field is blank, the user is removed.
This allows helpdesk and desktop techs to just set a new extension from the available pool, then punch in the extension number in an unused phone, and bam! phone is provisioned.
This worked really well, and has had no issues in the 10-ish months this system as been live.

Until last week.

I had been working on integrating our HR system in to AD. It had been running on an event trigger for a while, so new users and user information updates were coming across fine. ( Or so I thought)
Last week I did a full export from the HR system so that everyone in AD would have up to date metadata (titles, departments, etc) instead of a mismatch of data from the old system and the new system.
Due to an unnoticed parsing issue in my integration script, the ipPhone field got stripped from every single user.
I noticed this pretty quickly, fixed the script, re-ran the export and the ipPhone field got updated correctly.

Job well done, disaster averted, no-one noticed, right?

Wrong.

Most of our users don't use the CUCILync client, they barely even notice that it's there. But there are a handful, and those handful started reporting that they weren't able to control the desk phone anymore, and the ones with softphones configured said they weren't able to access that either.
The blip in the ipPhone field was just at the right time for the UCM server to do a directory sync and completely remove and then re-provision every single user.
The users that only use their desk phones never noticed, but anyone that used the CUCULync client had it stop working because their user account was no longer associated with any of their devices.

That's my monday, thanks for reading.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 26, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Oh, accounting. Why are you allowed to create database fields. Worst part is, they did it right the first time, but they created a second, stupid one, and used that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A tick box to represent a negative can gently caress off as well tbh

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
I support 130 Users, with 350 devices all by myself.

0 Printers though. I don't even replace the Toner.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What happens when you go on holiday

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Chaos reigns, motherfucker :kheldragar:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
9 of us supporting 170ish users. Plus 2 managers and a VP.

We have a lot of project work, though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sir Leaksalot tried to dump some ops work on me today.

"I'd like you to change this job schedule"
"OK well you can do it yourself, it's a one line change" (also you're not a team lead anymore, stop giving orders)
"When you leave I'm hoping to get Ops to do these kinds of things, since I'm not in [fringe product team] anymore, I'm in Product"
"..." (1. Good luck with that in an industry that celebrates devops, 2. what team do you think I'm in, fucko?)
"I guess I could make a pull request and ask ops to push it out"
"Yeah that's all I'd be doing"

Do your job you workshy fuuuuuck

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm :yotj: in 2 weeks primarily because this guy has leaned on me for everything for the last year and he's still fuckin' doing it and trying to find ways to avoid stepping an inch out of his comfort zone once I'm gone.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

AlternateAccount posted:

{...}for some reason they hit desktop support at about a 30% higher rate than the company at large.

That reason being IT doesn't directly bring in money so the bean-counters view it as a loss instead of essentially insurance against the backbone of the company ceasing to function. I'm sure that in the future, when everything is on fire, they'll wonder why IT can't fix everything immediately.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Our desktop support is around 1:250, I'm not sure how they do it. The whole team is fighting hiring another tech because they love the overtime they get, so whatever I guess

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My old job was supporting well over a thousand VIP users. We had six people, which was fine, adequate coverage if someone was sick. Then the team got cut in half, making our support ratio upwards of 1:300. I also had to do substantial offsite work support and evening meetings. By the end I was going completely insane. I got out just before the job became even worse. Literally everyone who used to be on my old team has quit.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Hmmm...2 of us on-site (we have a corporate team, but they are...often less than useful)
600'ish pieces of equipment (servers, PCs, laptops, tablets, phones, etc.)
Getting close to 300 users, 24/7 operation, so we also cover all evening/weekend support.

We also do all the IT budgeting, IT training, projects, etc.

We're burnt the gently caress out and underpaid.

Yay living in the rear end-end of nowhere? (yes, YOTJ is being worked on, but my wife's also unhappy with her job, so we may move for her - so I'll bide my time until I know one way or another, then get the gently caress out)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Siochain posted:

Hmmm...2 of us on-site (we have a corporate team, but they are...often less than useful)
Getting close to 300 users, 24/7 operation, so we also cover all evening/weekend support.

Yay living in the rear end-end of nowhere? (yes, YOTJ is being worked on, but my wife's also unhappy with her job, so we may move for her - so I'll bide my time until I know one way or another, then get the gently caress out)

If you do the budgeting, then budget for minions more staff.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The rule i've always enjoyed is 1/75, give or take 25.

I've only ever worked at one place that violated that rule and surprise surprise, that place had huge issues with workload.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

What happens when you go on holiday

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Chaos reigns, motherfucker :kheldragar:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you do the budgeting, then budget for minions more staff.

In my experience, IT gets to budget projects, equipment, and maintenance, but doesn't get to budget staff wages. That has to come from higher up.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm at a nice comfortable 66.6:1 users per tech :rock:

My benefits also suck massive amounts of rear end and change is very very slow so :shrug:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Siochain posted:

I'm on a six-week on-call rotation (one week on, five weeks off), and we're a 9-5, M-Sa shop (I have to support some 24-hour stuff like batch processing, but that mostly takes care of itself). I cannot even begin to imagine being 24/7 support 50% of the time. If I were you, I wouldn't wait on the wife, and start looking for jobs in places where opportunities for her are likely to pop up.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Heh, get on my level peons. My last job, i had a ratio of 1300:1, give of take.

I have more story, but am gonna wait till I'm not phone posting.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

neogeo0823 posted:

Your phone has speech to text :justpost:

mewse
May 2, 2006

We're at like 180:1 user:tech

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

neogeo0823 posted:

Go and have a nice long poo poo somewhere and :justpost:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
We're at 1:90 or so? 1:200 or so for direct user support. It'd not that bad overall! And since we're all internal users are generally super friendly.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Today is circular saw day in the bathroom remodel down the hall from me.

No, we can't close any of the doors between here and there.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thanks Ants posted:

Go and have a nice long poo poo somewhere and :justpost:

I can't do that or I would probably be written up, remember? I'm on lunch now, but don't have enough time nor patience to meticulously correct my phones autocorrect shittery. I'll post as soon as I get home.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Have to come to HQ in Nashville periodically. They only give out Macs and will not let me connect my personal laptop (running Linux as it should be) to the network.

Seems like a tremendous waste to fly me here for a week where I'll be so much less productive on an unfamiliar OS with fewer resources (usually develop on my big desktop rig at home). They finally got me set up with a dock and extra screens today, but gently caress I hate macOS.

At least the food is good and my hotel is awesome this time :unsmith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Install iTerm2 and it's 90% of the way to being feature complete with a linux workstation.

Unless you're one of those weirdos that uses a bunch of GUI apps.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Got walked out today 10 minutes after I told my boss I intended to tender my resignation. Didn't even have a chance to send the email copy of it. :wave:

:yotj: and a vacation :yotj:

I believe in you goons who are still out there interviewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SeaborneClink posted:

Got walked out today 10 minutes after I told my boss I intended to tender my resignation. Didn't even have a chance to send the email copy of it. :wave:

:yotj: and a vacation :yotj:

I believe in you goons who are still out there interviewing.

Refreshing to see how loyal your company can be to you right?