Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Harrison Ford is just coasting on that Ally McBeal money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, Ford has been sleep walking through his performances since...I’m gonna say Hollywood Homicide. But this was the first time I’ve seen him try in decades. I think he was happy to finally be able to kill Han Solo.

He tried in Blade Runner 2049. He was comatose in TFA and who could blame him? I bet any actor would be asleep at the wheel if they were asked to remake one of their break out roles in between on set injuries.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

PriorMarcus posted:

He tried in Blade Runner 2049. He was comatose in TFA and who could blame him?

what? he was great in TFA. When he confronts Kylo on the bridge is A++

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Jerkface posted:

what? he was great in TFA. When he confronts Kylo on the bridge is A++

Yea I think a lot of folks itt are on loving acid or something. I mean he sold that whole goddamn scene by himself, but then Adam Driver nailed it out the park too. When Han does a double-take and starts stepping out from the shadows I was literally on the edge of my seat thinking "oh god no don't do it goddamnit." I was literally hoping he'd revert to the scoundrel he'd always been and flee.

euphronius posted:

He was real good in bladerunner but that wasn’t a blockbuster. Hah.

He was great in it, but all he had to do was play a washed up drunk and a captive with no dialogue. The scene where he was brought to Wallace was definitely his A-game though.

But hey folks, if you want some more evidence of how important editing can be, look no further than deleted scenes from ROTJ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wPjTrgvGG0

someone spliced in scenes from ANH, but loooool at those gunners

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah his face acting at Wallace hq was top tier.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

You knew Harrison Ford was into TFA by the way he yelled "CHEWIE!", it was his top tier chewie yell.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Jerkface posted:

You knew Harrison Ford was into TFA by the way he yelled "CHEWIE!", it was his top tier chewie yell.

this but 100% unironically

Dude was just glad to be there. Was having fun out there.

How much y'all wanna bet that Hux gets executed 5 minutes into Episode IX? If Kylo's the new Supreme Leader he's going to be executing people he deems a threat to his authority just like KJU did with his uncle.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

BarronsArtGallery posted:

How much y'all wanna bet that Hux gets executed 5 minutes into Episode IX? If Kylo's the new Supreme Leader he's going to be executing people he deems a threat to his authority just like KJU did with his uncle.

They explicitly make Hux a cowardly joke so that he's easily cowed by Kylo's 'Nazi Slapstick' leadership style.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 26, 2018

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Nah, I figure he'll weasel his way out of death right up until the end where he's unceremoniously met with a spaceship in the face or something.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

They explicitly make Hux a cowardly joke so that he's easily cowed by Kylo's 'Nazi Slapstick' leadership style.

I loved everything about it though. Especially when he reaches for his pistol when Kylo is barely regaining consciousness lmfao

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Well, it wouldn't be the first time someone considered doing that.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The First Order is unsatisfying because they are a cypher, and they don't actually *do* anything except villainous plots. Their name is meaningless. They don't seem to occupy territory or control anything. They are basically COBRA.

The Galactic Empire you see occupying Tatooine, you hear about how they're dissolving the last remnant of the rule of law; given the context, it's rather apparent that the Emperor is Space Hitler. Snoke is not. Snoke doesn't have a context. He's just a villain who hates things, doesn't build anything, and gets huge amounts of stuff by fiat to make sure the plucky rebels are outnumbered. His villainous superpowers are money and child abuse. The Resistance isn't fighting for anything, either; they just hate Snoke, apparently. Well, wait. I guess they are fighting for the things they love?

I like the Last Order idea. That would have been an easy concept to namedrop in TFA.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The First Order is unsatisfying because they are a cypher, and they don't actually *do* anything except villainous plots. Their name is meaningless. They don't seem to occupy territory or control anything. They are basically COBRA.

The Galactic Empire you see occupying Tatooine, you hear about how they're dissolving the last remnant of the rule of law; given the context, it's rather apparent that the Emperor is Space Hitler. Snoke is not. Snoke doesn't have a context. He's just a villain who hates things, doesn't build anything, and gets huge amounts of stuff by fiat to make sure the plucky rebels are outnumbered. His villainous superpowers are money and child abuse. The Resistance isn't fighting for anything, either; they just hate Snoke, apparently. Well, wait. I guess they are fighting for the things they love?

I like the Last Order idea. That would have been an easy concept to namedrop in TFA.

It's a different scenario. In ANH the Empire had been in existence for decades basically. In TFA poo poo just hit the fan all at once. The powder keg had been loaded for years and that's why we're introduced to Poe on a desert planet searching for the map to Luke Skywalker. Everybody in the Resistance knows things are about to go south and that's literally why they're sending this dude to the middle of nowhere on a vital mission.

"The Resistance isn't fighting for anything either." Yea ok, man. Neither were Washington, Adams, et al.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

"The Resistance isn't fighting for anything either." Yea ok, man. Neither were Washington, Adams, et al.

That was the OT. The resistance is fighting to restore [??] the New Republic[??] which isn't really shown or discussed except as a punching bag for the new bad guys

It's all extremely dull and borderline amateurish

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
Kylo and Rey are basically the leaders of their respective factions now. That's an interesting place to start things off, at least.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hodgepodge posted:

Kylo and Rey are basically the leaders of their respective factions now. That's an interesting place to start things off, at least.

Cool. Rey has spoken to and interacted with the resistance, and been involved in combat operations with them, for a grand total of 37 minutes.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Cool. Rey has spoken to and interacted with the resistance, and been involved in combat operations with them, for a grand total of 37 minutes.

I wouldn't call Ren qualified for running the FO, in the traditional sense.

I mean, I would make trying to lead the Resistance a mistake for Rey. That would be to make the entire storyline a huge dig at the Hillary campaign though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hodgepodge posted:

I wouldn't call Ren qualified for running the FO, in the traditional sense.

I mean, I would make trying to lead the Resistance a mistake for Rey. That would be to make the entire storyline a huge dig at the Hillary campaign though.

It seems a little late to be introducing a plotline like that in the third movie of a trilogy though. In fact we're two movies in and we have no overarching plot while two members of the main trio have only just met in the last scene of the second movie. ESB and RotJ were tied together at the hip and even ANH introduced a grander overall narrative of the Rebellion and the Jedi legacy that ESB immediately followed up on.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
TLJ wrapped up the overarching plot: kill Luke Skywalker
Third movie serves no purpose.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

galagazombie posted:

It seems a little late to be introducing a plotline like that in the third movie of a trilogy though. In fact we're two movies in and we have no overarching plot while two members of the main trio have only just met in the last scene of the second movie. ESB and RotJ were tied together at the hip and even ANH introduced a grander overall narrative of the Rebellion and the Jedi legacy that ESB immediately followed up on.

It might work as a follow-up on Holdo, with everyone trying to force Rey into Leia's role and unable to accept someone else as the natural leader of the Resistence. I'd go with Finn, who also looks to Rey as a leader but plot happens and they realize Rey must go do plot, etc.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

that's kinda already what's happened though; the ostensible good guys defeated by a bunch of evil buffoons in part because they didn't get the groundswell of support they assumed they still had

of course the first order doesn't even have the coherent policy goals of trump-era republicans, much less something actually written decently

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SNOKE: "Execute order... 7 - 7 - 7."

HERMAN CAIN: "Immediately, Supreme Leader!"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Brother Entropy posted:

that's kinda already what's happened though; the ostensible good guys defeated by a bunch of evil buffoons in part because they didn't get the groundswell of support they assumed they still had

of course the first order doesn't even have the coherent policy goals of trump-era republicans, much less something actually written decently

I think it's just that their goals were 1) wipe out Republic, 2) crush resistance. Which leaves both sides sort of fighting each other because they believe that by definition they are enemies. I mean, I would hope this would play into the resolution. The First Order sort of won in the first film; the Republic is, at best, crippled.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

SNOKE: "Execute order... 7 - 7 - 7."

HERMAN CAIN: "Immediately, Supreme Leader!"

9-9-9. Come on dude.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Ammanas posted:

That was the OT. The resistance is fighting to restore [??] the New Republic[??] which isn't really shown or discussed except as a punching bag for the new bad guys

It's all extremely dull and borderline amateurish

So it's the War of 1812. Get over it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rey leads the millennium falcon faction.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Gnome de plume posted:

Nah, I figure he'll weasel his way out of death right up until the end where he's unceremoniously met with a spaceship in the face or something.

He does look a little weasley.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

euphronius posted:

Rey leads the millennium falcon faction.

a couple of guys in a dump truck vs an empire

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The Falcon's gotten poo poo done, it has one kill and one assist on giant planet killing space stations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
It delivered explosives to help bring down a third.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
the best part of the prequels was no falcon

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

excellent job comparing the resistance to a bunch of slave-raping aristocrats who fought a revolution to exploit people more efficiently

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
John Adams, known slave rapist

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It gets tiresome hearing the same old "slave-owning aristocrats" line with the founding fathers. Many were, many were also neither or outright abolitionists in their leanings. You even get weird cases like a slave-owner making it his mission (and succeeding) of getting slavery outlawed in New Jersey. Many of them were also not "Aristocrats", being various successful self made men or urban professionals. In addition, policies like the Stamp Act, the "Intolerable Acts" and prohibiting westward expansion were all most harmful to the American lower classes. The American Revolution was very cross-class, which is one of the reasons why it is one of the rare revolutions in history that did not immediately fall to purges and civil wars.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
no no man these were all bourgeoisie oppressors now let me point you to an untarnished man of virtue che guevara, if you'll just look at my redbull-stained tshirt...

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

galagazombie posted:

It gets tiresome hearing the same old "slave-owning aristocrats" line with the founding fathers. Many were, many were also neither or outright abolitionists in their leanings. You even get weird cases like a slave-owner making it his mission (and succeeding) of getting slavery outlawed in New Jersey. Many of them were also not "Aristocrats", being various successful self made men or urban professionals. In addition, policies like the Stamp Act, the "Intolerable Acts" and prohibiting westward expansion were all most harmful to the American lower classes. The American Revolution was very cross-class, which is one of the reasons why it is one of the rare revolutions in history that did not immediately fall to purges and civil wars.

yes the revolution which guaranteed the vote to landowners only was truly cross-class

and pushing the self-made man narrative, too! are you ron chernow?

the presence of a few exceptions doesn't invalidate the rule. valorizing the founders in any way is ridiculous

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

galagazombie posted:

...prohibiting westward expansion were all most harmful to the American lower classes.

Fortunately, permitting westward expansion caused no harm to anyone!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Angry Salami posted:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Angry Salami posted:

No question it was terrible for the Native Americans, but we weren't talking about how the Revolution affected them. (badly, and ironically, across all social classes.)

R. Guyovich posted:

yes the revolution which guaranteed the vote to landowners only was truly cross-class

Once again, depends on the where, when and who. But there was a flurry of voting rights expansion after the Revolution. Vermont never had such restrictions in the first place, the Northern and Western states mostly got rid of theirs in about a decade. And even then, voting wasn't the only thing the Revolution was about. You've yet to explain how say, the Stamp Act, wasn't a crap deal for the poor who had to pay its brunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

galagazombie posted:

Got some sort of citation on this? Because the current scholarship on the American Revolution would, uhh, not agree.

• Locked thread