Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pylons posted:

I definitely enjoyed it, but it's the most open-world-rear end open world game ever. It probably would've done better if they'd just made the rest of the game like the opening.

true. it think what would have helped is more dynamic events and poo poo. like ubisoft makes cool dynamic poo poo in games sometimes to a fault. thats what mafia 3 needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
It's a drat sin Mafia 3 doesn't have respawning enemies/HQs/hit squads. The best part is the shooting and it's ultimately finite*

*Yeah you can do those stupid grinding faction missions but the ultimate undoing of it is how far you have to drive to and from there to beat said mission. Not worth it.

Pylons posted:

I definitely enjoyed it, but it's the most open-world-rear end open world game ever. It probably would've done better if they'd just made the rest of the game like the opening.

I wouldn't want to cry through the WHOLE game.

That opening loving hurts. :qq:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pylons posted:

I definitely enjoyed it, but it's the most open-world-rear end open world game ever.

yeah I normally like open world games but I've stayed away from Mafia 3 because most reviews talk about how empty and lifeless the world is if you stray from the main story. which is especially bad given that it takes place in 1970's New Orleans

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

If you co-op the game together how do achievements work?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Morter posted:

It's a drat sin Mafia 3 doesn't have respawning enemies/HQs/hit squads. The best part is the shooting and it's ultimately finite*

*Yeah you can do those stupid grinding faction missions but the ultimate undoing of it is how far you have to drive to and from there to beat said mission. Not worth it.

I wouldn't want to cry through the WHOLE game.

That opening loving hurts. :qq:

"you shouldn't have said no"

I am broken but i loved Donovan. him ranting about how "johnson should have hung those treasonous fucks"

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am broken but i loved Donovan. him ranting about how "johnson should have hung those treasonous fucks"

Donovan's your cool partner. Please don't mix them up.

Edit: I might have misread/misunderstood. Donovan rules.

So is Clay's friendship with him. (For those unaware, they are both vietnam vets)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTuTP0kJ_EU

:3:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm feeling dumb but where is the binoculars perk? I've read all these descriptions and it isn't there?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Donovan was almost better than Clay, especially considering the ending.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Morter posted:

Donovan's your cool partner. Please don't mix them up.

Edit: I might have misread/misunderstood. Donovan rules.

So is Clay's friendship with him. (For those unaware, they are both vietnam vets)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTuTP0kJ_EU

:3:

yeah. he is great. i like yeah donovan is using him but he is genuinly friends with clay. i weirdly couldn't stand Father James because he came off as kinda hypocritical.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mafia 3 would have been good if they actually designed main story missions outside of the decent few that they built and then made you grind enemy outposts used for side content and called it a night. I liked the actual story, I liked the atmosphere, the cast and the dialogues and the music was great but gently caress disguising the clearing of 30 copy-pasted enemy outposts as a campaign and gently caress having to grind dozens more to unlock actually fun weapons.

I kinda forgave them by the end because the ending was actually good and well made but I still remember that entire middle part.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

PriorMarcus posted:

If you co-op the game together how do achievements work?

I'm not sure, but given that completing a mission only completes it for the host I would expect the achievements to only unlock for the host as well.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mafia 3 was some great cut scenes married to a terribly repetitive game. And the racism angle falls flat because you're playing a criminal mass-murdering his way through New Orleans.

The soundtrack was the same handful of "golden oldies" we've heard a thousand times before, no originality to the selection at all.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lmao this kotaku article is hilarious, the guy doesn't understand fart cry

https://kotaku.com/far-cry-5-the-kotaku-review-1824076892

quote:

It’s weird and terrifying and unsatisfyingly explored in this epic-length game. For all its nods to contemporary politics and societal strife, Far Cry 5 is just another fun permutation of the usual Far Cry formula with nothing very interesting to say.

quote:

The bulk of Far Cry 5 feels like gonzo camping trip that permeates the rest of the game. Yes, people are being kidnapped, tortured, and brainwashed, but in-between fighting to liberate the residents of Hope County from this b-horror movie plot, I also spent plenty of time skydiving, swimming, hiking, hunting, fishing, and rampaging through cedar forests on 4-wheelers at night like an idiot. I’d like to say this mix of the Huffington Post front page and a Bass Pro Shop catalog ends up being complementary, but it doesn’t work, with the split between ominous main plot and absurd side adventures feeling even more dissonant than in earlier Far Cry games.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Your first mistake was reading Kotaku.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So lovely click-bait sites aside videos of the ending are up on youtube and...Just, goddamn. That ending is something else. I want to talk about it and how (big spoiler, sort of) deceptive it is but the damned game's not even out yet on Steam.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 26, 2018

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol yeah I just clicked on the first review and the dude has no idea this poo poo is tongue in cheek

also it appears he might be a maga chud

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apparently it sorta does, which pissed off the polygon dude.

that sounds great though. lol though at the opening quote "It’s yet another mainstream game that takes crisis or tragedy and builds a Ferris wheel on top of it, while intimating that you’re bad for wanting to take a ride" that actually sounds fun as gently caress. He even intimates that a drugged out boss fight wherein the boss warps around is somehow bad? Holy poo poo. Just when he gets to how fun the actual gameplay is he veers back into how bad the story is.

Game journalists are the most unfun fuckers in the world now to the point where the reviewers are scared to death of admitting a thing is fun because they might lose outrage points at this not being a masturbatory right wing death simulator

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Archonex posted:

So lovely click-bait sites aside videos of the ending are up on youtube and...Just, goddamn. That ending is something else. I want to talk about it and how (big spoiler, sort of) deceptive it is but the damned game's not even out yet on Steam.

Yeah, it definitely seems to be the most Far Cry of Far Cry endings yet. Unfortunately, I hate Far Cry endings.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
War, war never changes

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

DLC Inc posted:

that sounds great though. lol though at the opening quote "It’s yet another mainstream game that takes crisis or tragedy and builds a Ferris wheel on top of it, while intimating that you’re bad for wanting to take a ride" that actually sounds fun as gently caress. He even intimates that a drugged out boss fight wherein the boss warps around is somehow bad? Holy poo poo. Just when he gets to how fun the actual gameplay is he veers back into how bad the story is.

Game journalists are the most unfun fuckers in the world now to the point where the reviewers are scared to death of admitting a thing is fun because they might lose outrage points at this not being a masturbatory right wing death simulator

Eh, that's bullshit. Just like FC3 and FC4, it sounds like the story is a hot garbage fire. Now, whatever. I don't give much of a poo poo and I'll bet I'll enjoy my far cry. That doesn't insulate the game from fair criticisms about the shittiness of the story. You can't deny their marketing was designed to make people think about the current conception of right wing wackos - then to pull a bait and switch to the incredibly dumb "all sides are bad" argument is disingenuous. If the reviewers aren't just making poo poo up (and I'm aware they might be, I haven't played the game yet) then to call the writers out on a dumb story and ham handedness in trying to present serious topics is the job of the reviewer.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Okay but how do we VPN through Steam tho

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[as I ascend to the next dimension in a kaleidoscope of brilliance] The game needed to have black cultists to shoot. Your character is a cop

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

black.lion posted:

Okay but how do we VPN through Steam tho

Are you a gun owner

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Far cry virgin: this game has a bad story, and I do not understand that it is parody

Far cry chad: "these explosions fuckin own!" I holler from a 4 wheeler as my pet bear follows me to an uncertain death

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

ethanol posted:

Are you a gun owner

No but I'll grab one on the way home if it'll help me VPN thru Steam

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

If it pulls the "both sides are bad!" bullshit that sucks, but I'll enjoy it just like I enjoyed bioshock infinite which did the same thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

this. i want deeper cool game articles, but its all writen by morons who hate themselves and games for not sucking them off and being exactly what they wanted at this current moment in time. gently caress em these woke dipshits. he is loving mad because he can't play one handed so he can jack it to shooting president pissbrain.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pylons posted:

If it pulls the "both sides are bad!" bullshit that sucks, but I'll enjoy it just like I enjoyed bioshock infinite which did the same thing.

FC4 def pulled an "all sides are bad" card but it didn't really affect much besides some missions being a little different and 1 or 2 secret ends you could get

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

Far cry virgin: this game has a bad story, and I do not understand that it is parody

Far cry chad: "these explosions fuckin own!" I holler from a 4 wheeler as my pet bear follows me to an uncertain death

Right?

Who is playing Far Cry games for the story or any kind of social commentary?

All I want to do is blow poo poo up and set people on fire.

e:

DLC Inc posted:

FC4 def pulled an "all sides are bad" card but it didn't really affect much besides some missions being a little different and 1 or 2 secret ends you could get

Pagan Min was good and cool and the real hero of 4.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pylons posted:

its not that that kind of thing, the cult is clearly the bad guys and the resistance is united front who want their town back. its more another theme thing that it sorta tries to pull from 4 but doesnt work as well. you will see what i mean.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

I imagine VPNing works the same as it does with every game before it. Connect to a VPN node in Australia or NZ or SK with steam closed. Open steam, (optional step of setting your download region to somewhere near where your VPN node is so you aren't doubling back to the US/UK for data; restart Steam as required), your game should start decrypting itself. You need to be on the VPN for this entire decryption process. Once the game is unlocked, launch it. You can now disconnect from your VPN. You will need to reconnect to the VPN to relaunch the game. If you attempt to launch the game while off the VPN after decrypting the first time, you may have to do the whole process over again. Don't do that.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Cultural Marxist posted:

Right?

But don't you understand? Everything has to be political these days and if you don't take my side you're bad and...

Fucks sake. It's a video game. People getting worked up over the politics of it need to go have a beer and wash the sand out of their nether regions.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cultural Marxist posted:

Right?

e:

he honest to god is. its either a religious fanatic like your dad who wants to feed the blood god and gently caress the under age priestess or the maoist progressive who wants to become walter white with child soldiers.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ten_twentyfour posted:

I imagine VPNing works the same as it does with every game before it. Connect to a VPN node in Australia or NZ or SK with steam closed. Open steam, (optional step of setting your download region to somewhere near where your VPN node is so you aren't doubling back to the US/UK for data; restart Steam as required), your game should start decrypting itself. You need to be on the VPN for this entire decryption process. Once the game is unlocked, launch it. You can now disconnect from your VPN. You will need to reconnect to the VPN to relaunch the game. If you attempt to launch the game while off the VPN after decrypting the first time, you may have to do the whole process over again. Don't do that.

Everybody do alll these steps now

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, it definitely seems to be the most Far Cry of Far Cry endings yet. Unfortunately, I hate Far Cry endings.

It's not even that. Don't read any of this if you want to be spoiled on the huge twist.

So you moused over it. Shame on you for a lack of impulse control. It's gonna be a long explanation to go over all the little inconsistencies. Fair warning:

If you pay close attention during the rest of the game it becomes apparent that the nuclear apocalypse you play through is most likely a hallucination. The same special effects are briefly visible as when you're on Bliss, you're in the company of a sociopath that has been and was ranting about the coming apocalypse for the entire game, and said sociopath literally set up the precise situation where people would hallucinate the end of the world if they were drugged when he was taken down. Said hallucinatory drugs turn out to be capable of inducing suggestibility in it's subjects. Notably, you get dosed on it moments before the fight by the villain.

When defeated the villain literally quotes the part of Revelations that announces the end of the beginning of the world...which happens moments before all hell breaks loose. Tellingly, there's no indication that you're succumbing to radiation poisoning (or not just being torn apart by the radioactive shockwaves) despite a quite frankly unrealistic amount of nukes bombarding the place. The one guy that wasn't dosed by it and could set things straight that you were just tripping balls is murdered by the bad guy by the time you wake up, and the villain himself smirks moments before the group starts playing into a shared hallucination.

This is on top of the other main ending, where it becomes apparent that his talk about not making martyrs of your family after you martyred his was all bullshit. The dude was going to either kill you all or get a replacement family one way or another. Because he's the sort of person who justifies his bullshit by saying that if he got away with doing something bad then it was god's will that it should be so. Hell, that's basically a fundamental part of the Seed family's moral myopia.

So the resist ending is most likely in reality this: You won. No bones about it. You arrested the bad guy and his cult is straight up demolished to the point where it's non-functional. Unfortunately all your friends are dead and you're literally locked in a nuclear bunker with a lunatic who believes the world has ended. It's gonna be awkward for anyone in the cult left outside in the compound who comes down from their apocalyptic high and realizes that the world is still there. But they'll either double down like real apocalyptic cultists tend to do or wise the gently caress up and go to jail. The only possible big downside to this ending is that said bad guy may try to restart the cult by brainwashing you as one of his lieutenants. Though it's doubtful he has many of the nastier tools to do so given where he is and all the damage you've done to his operation. Plus, he's probably not going to want to gently caress you up too bad.

You are his child, after all.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 26, 2018

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he honest to god is. its either a religious fanatic like your dad who wants to feed the blood god and gently caress the under age priestess or the maoist progressive who wants to become walter white with child soldiers.

I would legit pay $20 for a DLC where you just roll around with Pagan Min killing the Golden Path guys so he can retake Kyrat.

Actually, I want Pagan Min as a companion in FC5.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Archonex posted:

It's not even that. Don't read any of this if you want to be spoiled on the huge twist.

So you moused over it. Shame on you for a lack of impulse control. It's gonna be a long paragraph to go over all the little inconsistencies. Fair warning:

If you pay close attention during the rest of the game it becomes apparent that the nuclear apocalypse you play through is most likely a hallucination. The same special effects are briefly visible as when you're on Bliss, you're in the company of a sociopath that has been and was ranting about the coming apocalypse for the entire game and literally set up the precise situation where people could hallucinate it if they were drugged when he was taken down, said hallucinatory drugs turn out to be capable of inducing suggestibility in it's subjects, you get dosed on it moments before the fight by the villain, the villain literally quotes the part of Revelations that announces the end of the beginning of the world moments before all hell breaks loose, there's no indication that you're succumbing to radiation poisoning despite a quite frankly unrealistic amount of nukes bombarding the place, the one guy that wasn't dosed by it and could set things straight that you were just tripping balls is murdered by the bad guy by the time you wake up, and the villain himself smirks moments before the group starts playing into a shared hallucination.

This is on top of the other main ending, where it becomes apparent that his talk about not making martyrs of your family after you martyred his was all bullshit. The dude was going to either kill you all or get a replacement family one way or another. Because he's the sort of person who justifies his bullshit by saying that if he got away with doing something bad then it was god's will that it should be so. Hell, that's basically a fundamental part of the Seed family's moral myopia.

So the resist ending is most likely in reality this: You won. No bones about it. You arrested the bad guy and his cult is straight up demolished to the point where it's non-functional. Unfortunately all your friends are dead and you're literally locked in a nuclear bunker with a lunatic who believes the world has ended. Said bad guy may try to restart the cult by brainwashing you as well. Though it's doubtful he has many of the nastier tools to do so, and he's probably not going to want to gently caress you up too bad.

You are his child, after all.

thats what i suspected. the cults hosed but so is he. sure he might get you, but then what. its gonna end like clover field drive but if the aliens didn't show.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cultural Marxist posted:

Right?

e:

The reveal that Mohan was a horrible rear end in a top hat as well in FC4 was really rad too. For a game that takes the "everyone is bad" approach, FC4 went all-in with zero shame and it owned. But yeah I do wish you could have worked for Pagan Min in some insane DLC. The 3 DLC things plus the Arcade mode in FC5 look real good.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Actually, can someone with the game tell me if you can make your guy look like Pagan Min? I want to role play that he retired to a quiet life of law enforcement in rural Montana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

The reveal that Mohan was a horrible rear end in a top hat as well in FC4 was really rad too. For a game that takes the "everyone is bad" approach, FC4 went all-in with zero shame and it owned. But yeah I do wish you could have worked for Pagan Min in some insane DLC. The 3 DLC things plus the Arcade mode in FC5 look real good.

mohan was just a weird tradinialist rear end in a top hat. like yeah pagan is tinpot dictator monster but at least he knows he is hosed up.