Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Cowslips Warren posted:

How big is your axie, and does he ever eat the sand?

He's about 23cm and always eats some sand because of the way he hoovers his pellets in. Doesn't do it deliberately though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Added a fuckload of rocks to the already existing pile and fixed the basking lamp that broke. Dude was super happy to claim his new bigly boy throne. I didn't realize just how long he is now, and he seems to be growing even more and becoming much more active than he was last summer.

PRAISE THE SUN

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 11, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I got my first bearded dragon on Friday. He's still young, though I don't know how old. I got him a 55 gallon tank, which is admittedly pretty sparse as of now (he has a vine, a hammock, a rock den in his basking area, a piece of driftwood, a plastic plant to climb), but I'm trying to get it decorated so he's way more comfy.

His name is Colonel Honey Mustard.

The problem is, he's pretty skittish as of now. He does not like being picked up, and since his tank is pretty long, he has plenty of places to run when I try. I try not to be loud and keep my movements slower, but if he thinks I'm going to pick him up, he bolts.

When I actually hold him, he seems to like being held and he relaxes and closes his eyes when he's being pet, but if I go a few minutes without petting him he's bolting off my hand.

I've tried to hand-feed him crickets and his greens in his enclosure, but he doesn't go for that. His first day home I was putting the crickets in with tongs, and he'd devour them immediately. Now when I place the crickets in his tank, he's hesitant to eat them unless I back away from the enclosure. I was attempting to hold him at least 2-3 times a day, but I dunno if that's too much too soon, or not enough.

He hasn't hissed, bit, or even stretched his beard/blackbearded me, yet, thankfully. He just wants to get the gently caress away from me. I think he's got stress lines, but I can't tell for sure.

Can I get some advice on what I should do to keep him happy, make him get used to me so I can actually hold him and stuff? Are these young growing pains, or do I have a feisty lizard on my hands? Any other advice for a first-time lizard owner?

Edit: better pics

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 14, 2018

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Three of my four axies continue to be little piggies with sliced up earthworms.

But I want to make sure those presliced worms are gutloaded. Any ideas?

The 4th is a runt but I think he's finally going after the moving pieces.

It's funny, I feed my snakes rats and mice, have no issues with that, but slicing up earthworms makes me feel like I'm a loving serial killer who started late in life.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My juvie BBG refused a cricket a week or two ago, so I assumed they were going to molt soon and they finally did! How long should I wait before trying to feed them again and do I need to get the molted skin out with a pair of tweezers when they move away from it? I'm trying to figure out how much cleanup of the tank to do in general, too.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Earthworms are nutritionally balanced and do not need gutloading.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

My goddamn hornworms finally came in a few days ago. Sunny went absolutely batshit when he saw them, and knows where I keep them apparently judging by his antics.

I'm thinking about starting a few colonies of feeder bugs, what all types have you all done with success?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

PathAsc posted:

My goddamn hornworms finally came in a few days ago. Sunny went absolutely batshit when he saw them, and knows where I keep them apparently judging by his antics.

I'm thinking about starting a few colonies of feeder bugs, what all types have you all done with success?

Lateralis roaches, dubia roaches, and discoid roaches are probably the easiest feeder insects to breed.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Big Centipede posted:

Lateralis roaches, dubia roaches, and discoid roaches are probably the easiest feeder insects to breed.

Thanks! I was thinking dubias, but do you have a preference overall for any specific reason?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

PathAsc posted:

Thanks! I was thinking dubias, but do you have a preference overall for any specific reason?

For a beardie, dubias or discoids would be more filling.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
I have a couple of cresties that like bugs as a supplement to their Pangea food, but they don't eat enough for me to keep an active insect colony. I just keep a container of live wax worms for them instead. Wax worms stay good for weeks if kept in the fridge.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Bitch, I'm comfy.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

PathAsc posted:

Bitch, I'm comfy.

drat, that's a fine lizard.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
My six or seven year old gargoyle gecko died while I was out of town this weekend :( I don't know what happened, he was fine when I left. I really wanted him to live his full 15+ year lifespan.

God, I'm so bummed. He was a purchase from a goon too, who tossed in a slightly "special" fat tailed gecko for free. Naturally the world's dumbest fat tail is still happily bonking into walls and failing to eat without being hand fed, while my Garg who was fat and a good eater just keeled over.

Precious dummy tail is now my last herp and I'm not likely to get another. Long live fatty :smith: :yoshi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm sorry for your loss, MB. :(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so i am graduating soon so i am gonna finaly expand my herp collection outside frogs. the local pet shop has had a cute baby sand boa in for months so i will probaly get that because they are apperently pretty laid back and easy and i alwso want to get a blue tongue skink. how are they as pets compared with beardies?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Question for fellow beardie havers:

When you let them out of the tank to run around (assuming you do), how long do you let them stay out? I let Elmore explore around yesterday for about 20 minutes and when I picked him up to but him back in the tank, he was definitely cool to the touch. I put him under his heat lamp and he stayed there for a while.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
My fiancee teaches science and inherited a pair of Eastern painted turtles that came with her classroom. I'll cut right to the chase: does this look like shell rot/infection to you? (these are two turtles although they look similar enough in pictures) The plastrons in particular are sort of rough and "big" feeling and you can't see the markings that painteds often (usually?) get. They've got all of their scutes.

The tank they've been kept in is adequately sized for the moment but they've got one of those dinky-rear end "for turtle" filters that look like a rock formation and don't accomplish jack poo poo. My partner's predecessor never changed their water so they were basically stewing in filth when she received them. In the weeks since then she's gotten down to a bimonthly water change cycle (not enough with that joke of a filter but a major improvement) and fixed up their basking area so that they could both fully haul out and dry off.

Our plan was to adopt them and rehouse them in a stock tank at home once the school year ended but we can quarantine and start treating them today or tomorrow if necessary.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/drayzze/status/986320466590748672

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have an approximately 9 month old iguana. Lately he's been shedding constantly, eating like a pig, becoming less skittish, and growing at an alarming rate.

He's housed in a screen cage that is 2' square and about 5' tall. It's filled with branches and a plant. I have installed a Mercury vapor bulb inside it for him to bask under.

He has a bowl of water that he loves to poo poo in, and lately he eats almost strictly plants from my yard... dandelions, clover, mulberry leaves, maple leaves, and wild strawberry. Occasionally he gets tomatoes or other leftover veggies. Never any animal protein.

Just want to check to see if I'm doing everything right. There is wildly conflicting info out there.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 18, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Dregs posted:

I have an approximately 9 month old iguana. Lately he's been shedding constantly, eating like a pig, becoming less skittish, and growing at an alarming rate.

He's housed in a screen cage that is 2' square and about 5' tall. It's filled with branches and a plant. I have installed a Mercury vapor bulb inside it for him to bask under.

He has a bowl of water that he loves to poo poo in, and lately he eats almost strictly plants from my yard... dandelions, clover, mulberry leaves, maple leaves, and wild strawberry. Occasionally he gets tomatoes or other leftover veggies. Never any animal protein.

Just want to check to see if I'm doing everything right. There is wildly conflicting info out there.

When you say 2' square, you mean 2' by 2' (4ft2), right? How big is your iguana? The 5' tall sounds fine for now but you may have to expand horizontally pretty soon.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
yeah, 2x2. He's probably 18-20" with tail. I know I'll have to upgrade eventually, but I already have another cage built. The wire mesh is too small on it, though. I found out the hard way. My biggest question is: how much protein does this guy need, and in what form?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Can someone reassure me that I am worrying more about moving house with my axolotl than necessary?

We're putting him in a small plastic tank inside a cool bag with bubblewrap/towels for padding and driving for about 90 minutes. Really nothing in the grand scheme of things. I've moved with him once before with less caution but it was only about a mile and a half down the road.

I know it'll be fine. I just have pet anxiety because aqua dragons are difficult to move with.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Bollock Monkey posted:

Can someone reassure me that I am worrying more about moving house with my axolotl than necessary?

We're putting him in a small plastic tank inside a cool bag with bubblewrap/towels for padding and driving for about 90 minutes. Really nothing in the grand scheme of things. I've moved with him once before with less caution but it was only about a mile and a half down the road.

I know it'll be fine. I just have pet anxiety because aqua dragons are difficult to move with.

Just keep it from getting too hot and it should be fine. People ship them through the mail all the time with no problem.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Axolotl update: as expected, he hid for a couple of days and was a bit less interested in food than usual. He is now happily trotting about as though nothing happened. Presumably because he is dumb as gently caress and has forgotten.

Temperature control in the new house is also greatly improved. We've moved down a floor and the difference in ambient temperature is huge, plus we moved to an overall cooler part of the country. Last summer was really challenging so I am hopeful for an easier time from now on!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bollock Monkey posted:

Axolotl update: as expected, he hid for a couple of days and was a bit less interested in food than usual. He is now happily trotting about as though nothing happened. Presumably because he is dumb as gently caress and has forgotten.

Temperature control in the new house is also greatly improved. We've moved down a floor and the difference in ambient temperature is huge, plus we moved to an overall cooler part of the country. Last summer was really challenging so I am hopeful for an easier time from now on!

What temps are you keeping him at? It hit 100 today and I'm debating about throwing a fan over my ax tank.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Hi Herp thread. I am a noodle owner now.

She is a 5 month old purple extreme het albino Western hognose. Her name is Crispin, for the Latin word CRISPICO meaning "wiggle". We call her Crispy for short :3:

I am actually quite scared of snakes and don't know much about reptiles in general, but my husband has been wanting one for a long time and we are finally in a stable enough place to get one. I couldn't say no to that face!

She hisses sometimes which is scary (though she is still a baby and from what I understand they can't really help it, so she is not being scary on purpose), but otherwise she has not acted aggressively at all so I'm slowly getting used to handling her. Hopefully we will be good friends soon.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:kimchi:

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Cowslips Warren posted:

What temps are you keeping him at? It hit 100 today and I'm debating about throwing a fan over my ax tank.

We use a fan as soon as it gets to about 77f historically but we might have more leeway in the new place. Try not to keep the water above 68 where possible but it's been 71-72 a few times. Generally the water is around 57-68 depending on time of year. We don't have air con in houses in the UK.

I also work in Celsius so that was a lot of temperature converting!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Decided to get back into tarantula keeping and bought a six pack of slings from Net-bug.

Pterinochilus murinus / Usambar Orange Baboon
Tapinauchenius gigas / Orange treespider
Acanthoscurria geniculata / Brazilian white knee
Brachypelma vagans / Mexican Redrump Default
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens / Greenbottle Blue
P regalis/ Indian ornamental

Slings should be here tomorrow, I am setting up little enclosures today. So excited.

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

ey im walkin simulator here

Solid Cake posted:

Hi Herp thread. I am a noodle owner now.

She is a 5 month old purple extreme het albino Western hognose. Her name is Crispin, for the Latin word CRISPICO meaning "wiggle". We call her Crispy for short :3:

I am actually quite scared of snakes and don't know much about reptiles in general, but my husband has been wanting one for a long time and we are finally in a stable enough place to get one. I couldn't say no to that face!

She hisses sometimes which is scary (though she is still a baby and from what I understand they can't really help it, so she is not being scary on purpose), but otherwise she has not acted aggressively at all so I'm slowly getting used to handling her. Hopefully we will be good friends soon.

Grats!! Hoggies are pretty dramatic compared to some other snakes for sure so they might be more vocal (especially at first) but once they calm down they're great. I fostered two for a while and got chewed on once because I forgot to wash my hands after feeding another snake, but you're much more likely to encounter dramatic noises and puffing out and just being a huge drama queen with them. Hope she calms down sooner rather than later though!

I don't know much about morphs but both the ones I had were het for albino, one was green and the other was more Crispy's color. :3:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Whats an interesting beginner snake or lizard. I am thinking about getting a skink or a spiny tailed monitier because everything i have read them is that they are semi easy to care for(as in set up with cage) and they are sorta inquisitive. i have also been thinking about getting snake. i love balls and sands but i wanted to see what kinda of uncommon semi beginner snakes there were that are docile.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Whats an interesting beginner snake or lizard. I am thinking about getting a skink or a spiny tailed monitier because everything i have read them is that they are semi easy to care for(as in set up with cage) and they are sorta inquisitive. i have also been thinking about getting snake. i love balls and sands but i wanted to see what kinda of uncommon semi beginner snakes there were that are docile.

Ackie monitors are eating machines and I wouldn't suggest one for a beginner. They're not really too difficult to care for, but I think they're a better choice for once you've had some more experience. If you want an interesting, uncommon, semi-docile beginner snake, theres a ton of options available. Examples:

African house snake
Baird's ratsnake
Everglades ratsnake
Mexican pine snake (deppei jani)
Northern pine snake
Rosy boa
Most milksnakes
Irian jaya carpet python
Children's python
Spotted python
Woma python

Theres a lot more, these are just what I thought of off the top of my head

Big Centipede fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 10, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The quintessential starter lizard is the leopard gecko. They're small, setup is easy, they're easy to feed. But, they also mostly lie around doing not much (which, if you're into herps, get used to that idea).

I'll also repeat what you have already heard a lot, but just in case you haven't: most herps live a long time, or at least are capable of it when cared for properly. Many can live decades. When you're thinking about getting one, think about your lifestyle for the next few decades and whether your herp will definitely fit in with it. Don't buy an animal that lives for 40 years if you are going off to college, thinking of moving to europe, or planning a new career as an oil rig worker.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The quintessential starter lizard is the leopard gecko. They're small, setup is easy, they're easy to feed. But, they also mostly lie around doing not much (which, if you're into herps, get used to that idea).

I'll also repeat what you have already heard a lot, but just in case you haven't: most herps live a long time, or at least are capable of it when cared for properly. Many can live decades. When you're thinking about getting one, think about your lifestyle for the next few decades and whether your herp will definitely fit in with it. Don't buy an animal that lives for 40 years if you are going off to college, thinking of moving to europe, or planning a new career as an oil rig worker.

I know that, I have been taking care of frogs for a few years now. I wanted to try getting a lizard and or a snake after I graduate. I have my heart set on a skink so far. Thinking about a sand boa too. That or an ackie

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, cool, just checking :)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

OK, cool, just checking :)

I appreciate it. Does anyone know how frillies are? I have talked to a bunch of people and gotten different responses.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I appreciate it. Does anyone know how frillies are? I have talked to a bunch of people and gotten different responses.

Not good pets. They are very high strung.

If you want an uncommon lizard, look into pink tongue skinks or crocodile skinks

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Big Centipede posted:

Not good pets. They are very high strung.

If you want an uncommon lizard, look into pink tongue skinks or crocodile skinks

i heard they were beardie like if you got them young. i was more thinking blue tongue skink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i heard they were beardie like if you got them young. i was more thinking blue tongue skink.

Everybody I've known that had frillies had a lot of issues with them.

Blue tongues are cool as hell.