Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm a fan of Griffin calling out Travis for trying to hijack a bit in the beginning.

:laffo:

"all of your backstory was real, sure, but was ultimately meaningless because space-time travel!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Even if the actual mini-arc itself was weak, and it has a 0% chance of winning I'm still carrying a torch for Commitment. It wasn't on rails like Amnesty: a Griffin story produced and directed by Griffin starring Griffin (ft. Griffin and Griffin) and it didn't have an encyclopedia of unexplained world building like Dust. It'll need some workshopping (mostly smothering Remy with a pillow) but superhero fiction, much like fantasy, is dumb and crazy enough to have decades of content (see: Marvel, DC)

These are my thoughts about TAZ I hope you enjoy them.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
remy was boring but idk why you would hate him

SpaceParrot
Jul 18, 2006

On paper "permanently half transformed werewolf politician/cowboy" is a lot more interesting than "guy who jumps good", but near the end of Dust it occurred to me that Griffin is 2/2 for dull, self-insertish characters, imo

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
How does he go from the Balance NPCs to Remy and Errol though? The drop in quality is a little sudden

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pastrymancy posted:

How does he go from the Balance NPCs to Remy and Errol though? The drop in quality is a little sudden

Probably because you can write stuff in advance for NPCs but not really for players

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
He's just wavering too much on having his PCs be too middle of the road, reasonable, medium-cool guys. You can write a dozen NPCs who occupy various extremes and are fun, but it's weird to play one. Augustus Parsons is a character you could believe as an NPC, but not one I expect anyone but Justin to play as.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Half of Dracula posted:

He's just wavering too much on having his PCs be too middle of the road, reasonable, medium-cool guys. You can write a dozen NPCs who occupy various extremes and are fun, but it's weird to play one. Augustus Parsons is a character you could believe as an NPC, but not one I expect anyone but Justin to play as.

Yeah. You have to give up a certain amount of agency to play a weird, interesting character, because you have to respond how they would in situations and occasionally give up chances to play "correctly". Griffin, and Travis to a lesser extent, get caught up on winning the game. So they play "logical" characters that respond to every situation as they would respond to a game.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I liked Errol. Like, the character didn't seem bad at all?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i liked the part where he pulled out his gun.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
errol, indirectly or not, led directly to the best bit in any of these miniarcs

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Here is the order of mini-arc characters from best to worst:

Duck
Augustus
Kardala/Irene
Ned Chicane
Gandy Dancer
Errol
Remmy
Aubrey
Nadia

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I mean, I liked Errol. His backstory was certainly interesting. But he reacted to everything exactly as I would have expected Griffin to react in any situation to try to win the game. Which is fine, that's how almost everyone plays RPGs. It stands out against Clint and especially Justin, though, who rarely care about the game more than they do the joke or trying to react in a way true to their character.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Tears In A Vial posted:

Duck
Augustus
Kardala/Irene
Ned Chicane
Gandy Dancer
Errol
Remmy
Aubrey
Nadia

Aubrey too high.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Tears In A Vial posted:

Duck
Augustus
Kardala/Irene
Ned Chicane
Gandy Dancer
Errol
Remmy
Aubrey
Nadia

I’ll be damned

This list is exactly right

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kardala is actually #1

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I could handle commitment as the arc if they kill nadia or give her a brain transplant or something

Or like, maybe she also gets possessed by an Inuit goddess, who is a goddess of jokes, kindness, and teamwork, and also the goddess talks the whole time instead of Nadia

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Pick the top character from each arc and throw them all into a Space Opera setting.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Yeah. You have to give up a certain amount of agency to play a weird, interesting character, because you have to respond how they would in situations and occasionally give up chances to play "correctly". Griffin, and Travis to a lesser extent, get caught up on winning the game. So they play "logical" characters that respond to every situation as they would respond to a game.

notable logical character magnus burnsides

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

YggiDee posted:

Pick the top character from each arc and throw them all into a Space Opera setting.

It'd just be Justin talking to himself.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Your list is missing Beacon, eternal #1

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tears In A Vial posted:

Duck
Augustus
Kardala/Irene
Ned Chicane
Gandy Dancer
Errol
Remmy
Aubrey
Nadia

I'd put Gandy above Ned, Clint seemed to have a lot more fun playing her.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Waffleman_ posted:

It'd just be Justin talking to himself.

I'm not seeing a problem.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Blockhouse posted:

notable logical character magnus burnsides

Which is why I said to a lesser extent. Travis got really into Magnus, and liked him being the emotional, impetuous one in any situation. Both characters since have been played like the stereotypical "coolest, smartest one in the room".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Which is why I said to a lesser extent. Travis got really into Magnus, and liked him being the emotional, impetuous one in any situation. Both characters since have been played like the stereotypical "coolest, smartest one in the room".

I absolutely would not classify Aubrey as either of those, though?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Blockhouse posted:

I absolutely would not classify Aubrey as either of those, though?

It's not how he described her, but it's exactly the impression I got from how he played her. From making other characters use her pet's full name, to barely reacting to the whole magic reveal, to the dumb bathroom thing.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'd put Gandy above Ned, Clint seemed to have a lot more fun playing her.

Ned is better if you constantly envision Brian Blessed every time Clint talks.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
With regards to playing PCs vs NPCs, it's very easy to feel shackled when you're playing a PC, because PCs are meant to exist over a long span of time. Things a PC says and does become canon and will end up sticking with the player over a long course of time.

On the other hand, NPCs generally last for a single scene, so you can make them single-note crazies as much as you like. It's a lot easier to make a funny character when they only need to have one joke before they expire.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
In this week's MBMBaM, I think it says a lot about who Travis is as a person when he thought saying "I had a dream about the TV show The Office" was a good idea, is called out on it, and then still tells the story about his dream.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CROSSOVER

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/978472886196305920?s=19

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Just the next step toward them already having been cast in Trolls 2.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The McElroy's WILL be in Pounded In The Butt By Our Podcast Empire

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It's not how he described her, but it's exactly the impression I got from how he played her. From making other characters use her pet's full name, to barely reacting to the whole magic reveal, to the dumb bathroom thing.

Aubrey is just Abby from NCIS but with magic.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

sexpig by night posted:

The McElroy's WILL be in Pounded In The Butt By Our Podcast Empire

Turned Gay By My Billionaire Podcasting Empire

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Someone call Extreme Restraints right loving now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ugh what is the deal with Travis? There are two Travis's I think. Regular Travis and Flophouse Travis. This week's mbmbam was definitely Flophouse Travis.

I like regular Travis. But sometimes he just flips a switch and becomes Flophouse Travis who talks over everyone and tries to run everything.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Just got a letter (like in the post and everything) from Max fun. They confirmed that the donation gifts this year will be pins again, as well as other things, and sent a little paper toy to play with.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I got the same letter, and their little pack in gets lamer every year. I hope they open up pin orders to 10 dollar donors again, because I'm not upgrading my membership past :10bux:, but I'd still like to buy some pins.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So far I think I actually liked Commitment the most out of the three arcs.

I enjoyed listening to Dust, but the utter lack of conflict was a glaring issue. Not the lack of combat necessarily, but everyone they talked to was friendly and cooperative, even the thugs working for the criminal mastermind and the criminal mastermind himself. The setup was amazing, but the tension didn't really carry through to the actual storyline.

This is basically down to Travis being too Nice and making every character as soft as possible, right down to the Sheriff talking about “saving people” just like Magnus.

But this was easily the best mini-arc specifically because Travis realized that they didn’t need a setup episode and multiple episodes in the story proper to set things up, they jumped right into the action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Going through the MBMBaM backlog and in episode 86 Griffin says that you shouldn't talk to anyone except a lover if you can also see and touch your dick while talking to them. Thank you Griffin for reinforcing my bathroom etiquette measures.