Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Randaconda posted:

Worst scene in the trilogy

Leliana's song in Origins and the Chargers song in Inquisition are both mortifying as well, but at least those can be skipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I wonder if there’s a mod that allows the Inquisitor to shut the whole song down via reaction, either in a mortified “guys you’re embarrassing me” way or an aggravated “what, I’m a leading a troupe of bards?” sarcastic rear end in a top hat way? Because I’d appreciate that, especially if it legit impacted approval because reaction to spontaneous singing informs what kind of person the Inquisitor is.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Randaconda posted:

Worst scene in the trilogy

Liliana breaking out into song in a completely different voice after dealing with the elves in DAO was worse

Especially jarring if you just finished feeding them to werewolved

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I wonder if there’s a mod that allows the Inquisitor to shut the whole song down via reaction, either in a mortified “guys you’re embarrassing me” way or an aggravated “what, I’m a leading a troupe of bards?” sarcastic rear end in a top hat way? Because I’d appreciate that, especially if it legit impacted approval because reaction to spontaneous singing informs what kind of person the Inquisitor is.
It’s a letdown that you’re not as free to be an rear end in a top hat as in 1 and 2. Most meaningful decisions so far are moral quandaries rather than outright cold or jerkish.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

snoremac posted:

It’s a letdown that you’re not as free to be an rear end in a top hat as in 1 and 2. Most meaningful decisions so far are moral quandaries rather than outright cold or jerkish.

Some of the background-specific choices are the best about being indifferent/assholey, especially the Qunari ones.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

precision posted:

Some of the background-specific choices are the best about being indifferent/assholey, especially the Qunari ones.

I'm Qunari :getin:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

So uh, dragons are broken right? The one in Crestwood knocked out three of the party with about 50% health left but as long as I kept filling Blackwall’s shield wall it couldn’t knock him out and I slowly chipped away at it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

snoremac posted:

I'm doing my second playthrough now, and man does the game make you feel like an rear end in a top hat for convincing Cullen to start taking lyrium again. Which I suppose is fair.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Unless you romance him, then he is saved by the ~power of love~

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

So uh, dragons are broken right? The one in Crestwood knocked out three of the party with about 50% health left but as long as I kept filling Blackwall’s shield wall it couldn’t knock him out and I slowly chipped away at it.

You just need to learn their patterns, and also wearing resist gear and using resist potions helps a lot. Generally it's good to take two mages to a Dragon fight so you can keep barriers up on everyone. It's also usually good to stay as close to them as possible because they do a wing vortex attack that does a lot of damage and pulls your party towards them so you can get around that by just staying pretty close to the Dragon.

The other option is to have a high level rogue who just pops their cooldowns and shreds the dragon in under a minute :v:. A well equipped Tempest Rogue popping their cooldowns and spamming the throwing dagger talent can shred a dragon in seconds.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

snoremac posted:

Nah, they're difficult if you're low level but once you're geared up with some guard on hit stuff they become pretty trivial.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Crestwood dragon is probably the easiest, which is to say it's the one challenging fight in the game, because once you have draconian crafting materials things quickly snowball into your party becoming unstoppable killing machines.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Liliana breaking out into song in a completely different voice after dealing with the elves in DAO was worse

Especially jarring if you just finished feeding them to werewolved

I always liked Morrigan's "ughhh, this loving poo poo" facial expression.

But I am a terrible person and I really do like the Dawn Will Come scene.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 27, 2018

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

You just need to learn their patterns, and also wearing resist gear and using resist potions helps a lot. Generally it's good to take two mages to a Dragon fight so you can keep barriers up on everyone. It's also usually good to stay as close to them as possible because they do a wing vortex attack that does a lot of damage and pulls your party towards them so you can get around that by just staying pretty close to the Dragon.

The other option is to have a high level rogue who just pops their cooldowns and shreds the dragon in under a minute :v:. A well equipped Tempest Rogue popping their cooldowns and spamming the throwing dagger talent can shred a dragon in seconds.

An Assassin or bringing Cole along works as well. Just Hit Mark, dump mark of the rift, then blow the mark, and dragon go boom.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
The Dawn Will Come scene owns hard, only singing scene in a video game I liked up until Witcher 3 and Priscilla

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nichael posted:

I always liked Morrigan's "ughhh, this loving poo poo" facial expression.

But I am a terrible person and I really do like the Dawn Will Come Scene.

i like that scene too. the song sounds like a real hymn type thing and the moment just kinda works.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I like the earnestness and interactions of the party members in Bioware RPGs. It doesn't bother me that the cast breaks into song like once a game, especially when the moment called for it, like it did in that instance.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Nichael posted:

I like the earnestness and interactions of the party members in Bioware RPGs. It doesn't bother me that the cast breaks into song like once a game, especially when the moment called for it, like it did in that instance.

if you're not playing Bioware RPGs for earnest cheesy party members then idk, you know?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I cannot stand that post Haven song. I always mute the game and alt-tab for a few minutes.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Admiral Ray posted:

I cannot stand that post Haven song. I always mute the game and alt-tab for a few minutes.

Yep, same. I can't stand singing in general, though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I liked that scene. It's cheesy as gently caress but it at least feels earned.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
IIRC it's one of (if not the) only unskippable scene in the game. I think whoever made it knew almost everyone would try and cut past that poo poo as quickly as possible.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Everyone who hates that scene is an emotionless husk with no soul. I mean, choirboy Cullen is the character's one good moment in all three games.

There is a mod that allows you to skip it though.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Pattonesque posted:

only singing scene in a video game I liked up until Witcher 3 and Priscilla

I don't think anything will ever top the Bard's Tale "it sucks to be you" song, but yes. It works well as part of the story and as a pacer - otherwise the transition from 'defeated at Haven' to 'suddenly has mighty fortress and following' would be more jarring.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Watching real people try to sing is bad enough, watching videogame characters stretch open their pixelated maws to hoot badly strung together lyrics? no thank you!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I guess your reaction to this scene depends a lot on whether or not you're into musicals. I watch musicals all the time so characters breaking out into song doesn't really bother me.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

exquisite tea posted:

I guess your reaction to this scene depends a lot on whether or not you're into musicals. I watch musicals all the time so characters breaking out into song doesn't really bother me.

I loathe musicals. I think it's all of the Disney movies forced down my throat as a child. The only one I can stand is Mulan.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Musicals are fine, I like musicals...when they're good. The Dawn Will Come is not good. Bad lyrics, the song was clearly made to fit into their theme song and feels totally inorganic, again the pixel people with their awkward faces, and then it disappears from the scene as quickly as it arrived. Nothing like a musical.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

PureRok posted:

I loathe musicals. I think it's all of the Disney movies forced down my throat as a child. The only one I can stand is Mulan.

I realize this is way off topic but if you didn't like Disney as a kid, what did you like? I've never heard of a kid not liking Disney stuff

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I only ever saw Aladdin and Lion King. I watched cartoon network and played video games mostly.

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours
It should be mandatory to have a big ole cheesy singing scene in every single AA game.

I loved Dawn Will Come and also Priscilla's GeraltxYen ballad. Cheese improves these Serious Adventure RPGs for ADULTS 100%.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Best Original Song for a Game: Oh No You Didn't - Mercenaries 2

Honorable Mention: Who Do You Voodoo, Bitch? - Dead Island

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Arctic Bunny posted:

It should be mandatory to have a big ole cheesy singing scene in every single AA game.

I loved Dawn Will Come and also Priscilla's GeraltxYen ballad. Cheese improves these Serious Adventure RPGs for ADULTS 100%.

Dawn Will Come was supposed to be serious

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Choirboy Cullen is funny as hell though.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I always get a kick out of Solas lurking in the background looking irritated

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It’s weird how Leliana’s VA can apparently really sing yet they went with that weird out of place dub for her bit in the first game.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

John Dyne posted:

I only ever saw Aladdin and Lion King. I watched cartoon network and played video games mostly.

Oh no you missed the catchiest disney song though

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

It’s weird how Leliana’s VA can apparently really sing yet they went with that weird out of place dub for her bit in the first game.

There was a sizable contingent of people who were all on Leliana's VA for having a fake French accent when she's from, like, actual Paris

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pattonesque posted:

There was a sizable contingent of people who were all on Leliana's VA for having a fake French accent when she's from, like, actual Paris

And also on Sera's case for having a fake British accent when she's from Derbyshire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
People poo poo over Tracer for having a fake English accent and her VA is from England too. Us Americans are poo poo at recognizing accents.