Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I had a question about the awakened mind of a Great Old One warlock. Is the telepathy 2 ways or is the warlock just shooting mindyells at whoever they want that have to be replied verbally?

Also, with the actor feat, I assume I can have someone listen to chewing sounds endlessly for hours on end, in someone else’s chewing voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Elfgames posted:

ok but like if you dislike grid based combat games why not play a game like torchbearer that isn't those things

Exactly though I don't have to insist on changes to my systems.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know that. But Beasts are just animals. So I can't really think of any that third parties would think to come up with that have not been covered.

Yeah, but I'm looking for like weird magic animals. Stuff more interesting than just "an animal you know but it's big as gently caress"

I know Blink Dogs are technically Fey but things like that.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

crazypeltast52 posted:

I had a question about the awakened mind of a Great Old One warlock. Is the telepathy 2 ways or is the warlock just shooting mindyells at whoever they want that have to be replied verbally?
It's one way.

crazypeltast52 posted:

Also, with the actor feat, I assume I can have someone listen to chewing sounds endlessly for hours on end, in someone else’s chewing voice?
That seems to have questionable utility, but I don't see why not.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah, but I'm looking for like weird magic animals. Stuff more interesting than just "an animal you know but it's big as gently caress"

I know Blink Dogs are technically Fey but things like that.

Ok that is much easier. Stuff like fey and Monstrosities would fit then.

The Yeth Hound from Volo's is outright stated to be a big vicious Feywild dog. Displacer Beasts are also stated to originate from the Feywild.

The Almiraj is a cute horned bunny from Tomb of Annihilation.

Other animal like creatures from Tomb of Annihilation that could work are the Eblis, Flying Monkey, Jaculi (A large jumping Snake), Kamadan, Zarbo, and Su-Monsters (Psychic Monkey monsters.)

Those of some of the strange animal things from the main sources, I have not checked out a ton of third party products myself so can't help you too much there.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 26, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sweet, I didn't know Tomb had this stuff! I'll check it out. I'll probably include the Tressym from SKT too. Probably useless to a ranger but neat as hell

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Yeth hounds are great but don't describe them as looking like this:

loving horrible, imo. This is a cooler version:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ok that is much easier. Stuff like fey and Monstrosities would fit then.

The Yeth Hound from Volo's is outright stated to be a big vicious Feywild dog. Displacer Beasts are also stated to originate from the Feywild.

The Almiraj is a cute horned bunny from Tomb of Annihilation.

Other animal like creatures from Tomb of Annihilation that could work are the Eblis, Flying Monkey, Jaculi (A large jumping Snake), Kamadan, Zarbo, and Su-Monsters (Psychic Monkey monsters.)

Those of some of the strange animal things from the main sources, I have not checked out a ton of third party products myself so can't help you too much there.

I'm willing to be that rabbit thing is ultra deadly

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Esquilax Unicorn.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is the art for the other Tomb Monsters cause I feel like sharing.

Eblis

Flying Monkey

Jaculi

Kamadan

Zarbo

Su-Monster

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Elysiume posted:

It's one way.
That seems to have questionable utility, but I don't see why not.

Dang, well at least I can make someone hear the person next to them chew loudly at a fancy dinner, bringing great shame upon their family.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Xae posted:

There is always more detail to 'sperg out over. Or are you saying an African Swallow has the same move speed as a European Swallow?

I just realized this reference is 43 years old.

help

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

CubeTheory posted:

I just realized this reference is 43 years old.

help

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Razorwired posted:

Is it considered :filez: to post a Kickstarter update?

Yes, IMO.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

One of my players drank one of these in my recent game. He was turned into a 13 year old. And much laughs were had at him.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
That doesnt make any sense. Copy pasting an email?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought it was a file distributed to backers via an update. Clearly if the author intends it to be public they can make it public, so I guess it depends on how much you respect their wishes. Nobody is going to jail for it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You could reword it yourself and leave out flavor text if it's the rules people are interested in. Mechanical rules are certainly not :filez: even if distributing their exact text would be. It probably still against their wishes if that's what you're referring to but I can't imagine your own reworded excerpts costing them sales - if anything seeing examples of their work makes me more likely to pay for their product. This holds doubly if it's a genuinely well-balanced class in a game with a dearth of them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 26, 2018

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Kickstarters have the option to make backers-only updates and the one in question is publicly viewable, so I assume they're fine with people linking it. I assume this is the update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1586134783/faerie-fire-a-5e-supplemental/posts/2134066

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well then!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

PublicOpinion posted:

Kickstarters have the option to make backers-only updates and the one in question is publicly viewable, so I assume they're fine with people linking it. I assume this is the update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1586134783/faerie-fire-a-5e-supplemental/posts/2134066

Well this looks really good. Not much synergy with core warlock stuff but has super good flavor.

Light walk should really run off light dice though.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 26, 2018

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So for a Wild Mage Sorceror, they get:

quote:

Wild Magic Surge

Starting when you choose this origin at 1st level, your spellcasting can unleash surges of untamed magic. Once per turn, the DM can have you roll a d20 immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher. If you roll a 1, roll on the Wild Magic Surge table to create a magical effect. If that effect is a spell, it is too wild to be affected by your Metamagic, and if it normally requires concentration, it doesn’t require concentration in this case; the spell lasts for its full duration.

So every spell, the DM can have them roll for a wild effect.

Secondly:

quote:

Tides of Chaos

Starting at 1st level, you can manipulate the forces of chance and chaos to gain advantage on one attack roll, ability check, or saving throw. Once you do so, you must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Any time before you regain the use of this feature, the DM can have you roll on the Wild Magic Surge table immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher. You then regain the use of this feature.

The Sorc can gain advantage on something, and then the DM can have them roll after casting a level 1 spell or higher, and they regain the use of Tides of Chaos.

Are these considered the same thing? Or do you specifically have to implicate that one is for Tides of Chaos? I would assume any wild magic check would refresh Tides of Chaos?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The DM decides. They can either say "roll on the wild surge table" for tides of chaos, or "roll for a surge, and if you get a 1 you roll on the wild magic table", in which case it's a regular surge. The difference is that for tides you skip the 1/20 chance and go straight to the wild magic table.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Has anyone else tried Tomb of Annihilation? Because I tried being run through it and it's loving awful.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Froghammer posted:

Has anyone else tried Tomb of Annihilation? Because I tried being run through it and it's loving awful.

I'm the DM for a campaign of it right now. My group is having a great time. What's going on with yours?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Non-interactive hexcrawl mechanics that make it feel like I have no agency, bland story, punishingly difficult combat encounters that have completely disincentivized my group away from exploration and combat in general.

Whole adventure just feels blah.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

It's an old school adventure that is designed not to cater to the newer style of play where encounters are more balanced for parties. Going out at level 1 is a death sentence. We're coming up on level 4 shortly and 1 of our original 5 is still alive.

The problem is life is cheap so it's difficult to really want to role play in this game. Why out hours of effort into making a character that's probably going to die to some random poo poo rear end encounter you had no hope of winning?

That said I had a better time of it when I showed up with 6 premade characters I didn't care a ton about. I put effort into making them fit with the campaign but didn't waste time coming up with longer backstories and how they will mesh with this world etc.

When my character died I literally just told the DM to roll a D6 and picked out a guy from my numbered pile and continued. Also all the characters are named "Red Shirt" but plugged into Google translate for different languages. I feel like you need that kind of attitude in order to really enjoy the campaign.

Which is think is super lame because "yeah let's play this role-playing game where you are probably going to die lots, can't come back so why even bother getting invested in your characters and actually role playing?"

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

This might be a little late but specifically with regards to combat abilities, D&D 4e was actually the first edition I ever played and the fact that everyone including martial classes having a bunch of cool powers they could do in combat seemed to make sense to me at the time from what little I knew of D&D. I was surprised and disappointed to find out this wasn't always the norm when my group switched to 3.5e.

As a side note, I have a few friends who would like to try out D&D for the first time, and I plan to run a short intro adventure for them (something along the lines of Lost Mines of Phandelver). I have my own thoughts/preferences but I don't mind running either and want to let them make the decision on which system to play. From some play experience and reading SA I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the pros and cons of 4e, but I wanted to ask the thread what they thought the pros of 5e might be, to people who have never played a PnP RPG before? Combat being simpler and having fewer mechanics to track is the main thing that comes to mind, but what else should I mention that would actually be useful to know to players who are totally new to D&D?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

doctor 7 posted:

It's an old school adventure that is designed not to cater to the newer style of play where encounters are more balanced for parties. Going out at level 1 is a death sentence. We're coming up on level 4 shortly and 1 of our original 5 is still alive.

The problem is life is cheap so it's difficult to really want to role play in this game. Why out hours of effort into making a character that's probably going to die to some random poo poo rear end encounter you had no hope of winning?

That said I had a better time of it when I showed up with 6 premade characters I didn't care a ton about. I put effort into making them fit with the campaign but didn't waste time coming up with longer backstories and how they will mesh with this world etc.

When my character died I literally just told the DM to roll a D6 and picked out a guy from my numbered pile and continued. Also all the characters are named "Red Shirt" but plugged into Google translate for different languages. I feel like you need that kind of attitude in order to really enjoy the campaign.

Which is think is super lame because "yeah let's play this role-playing game where you are probably going to die lots, can't come back so why even bother getting invested in your characters and actually role playing?"
Pretty much, yeah. One of the things I've been thinking about a lot lately is that old school ultra-realistic everything-can-kill-you-after-one-botched-roll appealed to me more when I was younger and when my free time was significantly less precious. Now that I'm an adult with other things that occupy my time (work obligations, a social life, a romantic partner, other non-gaming related interests, etc) my stomach for getting the chance to roleplay as a character for whom life is cheap and death is almost certain has dropped significantly. I only get to game maybe once every three or four weeks, and I'd just much rather be getting emotionally invested.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Froghammer posted:

Pretty much, yeah. One of the things I've been thinking about a lot lately is that old school ultra-realistic everything-can-kill-you-after-one-botched-roll appealed to me more when I was younger and when my free time was significantly less precious. Now that I'm an adult with other things that occupy my time (work obligations, a social life, a romantic partner, other non-gaming related interests, etc) my stomach for getting the chance to roleplay as a character for whom life is cheap and death is almost certain has dropped significantly. I only get to game maybe once every three or four weeks, and I'd just much rather be getting emotionally invested.

I hear you. Wanting that old school feel is fine and all but eventually you gotta admit rolling new characters is a loving hassle.

I like a mix of even encounters with easier ones where you can fight poo poo you did before and just cruise through them, with of course hard fights to make it all worth it.

ToA just swings to far into the latter for my liking. So far I don't feel like we're on an epic adventure. We're playing fumbledicks in the woods where really we shouldn't be for at least a few more levels.

But like I said, once I stopped really giving a poo poo it got better.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

BattleCake posted:

This might be a little late but specifically with regards to combat abilities, D&D 4e was actually the first edition I ever played and the fact that everyone including martial classes having a bunch of cool powers they could do in combat seemed to make sense to me at the time from what little I knew of D&D. I was surprised and disappointed to find out this wasn't always the norm when my group switched to 3.5e.

As a side note, I have a few friends who would like to try out D&D for the first time, and I plan to run a short intro adventure for them (something along the lines of Lost Mines of Phandelver). I have my own thoughts/preferences but I don't mind running either and want to let them make the decision on which system to play. From some play experience and reading SA I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the pros and cons of 4e, but I wanted to ask the thread what they thought the pros of 5e might be, to people who have never played a PnP RPG before? Combat being simpler and having fewer mechanics to track is the main thing that comes to mind, but what else should I mention that would actually be useful to know to players who are totally new to D&D?

The best recommendation I can give to players new to D&D who feel like trying out 5e is to play Shadow of the Demon Lord instead.

And since you liked 4e you might want to take a look at Strike!

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Hey so, a friend of mine was interested in the playtests where the Fighter wasn't a useless sack of poo poo, does anyone have the ones where fighters had martial damage dice and actual options in combat and all that good stuff?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone have a recommendation on a good list of supplemental magic items in a searchable form (spreadsheet?) that would be a good reference for a higher magic campaign than is suggested in the DMG? Preferably something with prices. I've been making a few custom items but it takes awhile!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

NachtSieger posted:

Hey so, a friend of mine was interested in the playtests where the Fighter wasn't a useless sack of poo poo, does anyone have the ones where fighters had martial damage dice and actual options in combat and all that good stuff?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-DWooSXsiOaHBWbDNMMC16Ulk/view

TL;DR - The majority of the abilities were put into Battlemaster. The system for all classes were redone to support the Sub-class mechanic.

Xae fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 27, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Rolled a strong set of numbers for a roll20 game for a group that really looks like it needs a meat-shield.

10 13 15 16 9 15

To me, that screams "go Variant Human Paladin with 3 16s and a feat."

Difficulty is I've almost always played full casters other than for quick one-shots and the typical "smash things and never cast my spells because I'd rather have smites" thing doesn't sound super appealing. Anyone got any interesting suggestions for a fun way to play this?

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 27, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Rolled a strong set of numbers for a roll20 game for a group that really looks like it needs a meat-shield.

10 13 15 16 9 15

To me, that screams "go Variant Human Paladin with 3 16s and a feat."

Difficulty is I've almost always played full casters other than for quick one-shots and the typical "smash things and never cast my spells because I'd rather have smites" thing doesn't sound super appealing. Anyone got any interesting suggestions for a fun pay to play this?

16 str 16dex 16con Bear Totem Barb

Run around bare chested and tank the poo poo out of everything because you have Resistance to everything except psychic damage.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
My PBP SA Mines of Whatits update:

Group is trying to intimidate and non-lethal the last goblin from the ambush so far we've knocked it probe and have all failed to do anything to it beyond that. so there is a goblin on the ground surrounded by hero's try to tell at it or bash it and it is dodging like a champ.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

10 13 15 16 9 15

Considering how many squishy spellcasters we have I'm thinking Conquest Paladin with Polearm Master would be really cool for unparalleled space control. I know overall it's a far worse option than Devotion and Ancients but I like the idea of backing attackers down and making them too afraid to advance on the backline.

edit: lol nevermind this group is creepy as hell and I'm seeing my way out of this shitshow. Roll20 strikes again.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 27, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nehru the Damaja posted:

edit: lol nevermind this group is creepy as hell and I'm seeing my way out of this shitshow. Roll20 strikes again.

oh come on you gotta elaborate on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gridlocked posted:

My PBP SA Mines of Whatits update:

Group is trying to intimidate and non-lethal the last goblin from the ambush so far we've knocked it probe and have all failed to do anything to it beyond that. so there is a goblin on the ground surrounded by hero's try to tell at it or bash it and it is dodging like a champ.

Just kill it and take the loving doorknobs or whatever to town.