Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

angryrobots posted:

This is on the same level as horoscopes and Himalayan salt lamps.

But I'm not interested in debating it. Keep adopting rescues, whether papered or mutt, and rendering them sterile. :)

What?

Wrong. Immune systems benefit from a wide gene pool. The principles of monoculture is a good place to start to disprove your assertion, let alone the fact animals with the widest slection of genes DO tend to be hardier and resist disease

http://www.instituteofcaninebiology.org/blog/the-myth-of-hybrid-vigor-in-dogsis-a-myth

Edit : poo poo pet toll

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Venice Beach and Manhattan beach also own, god drat

The key to enjoying LA is like most places: find an area that has poo poo you enjoy, and go explore. West Hollywood and Santa Monica have a billion places to check out.

poo poo, West Hollywood by itself on one road has nerdmelt, roxy, rainbow and comedy store. The last 3 by themselves have given more to influence culture in the US as a whole than most entire states have.

Also, hybrid vigor is horse poo poo. Mutts have the same goddamn issues. It's a breeding issue, not a breed issue. You RARELY see the horrific health problems in working dog stock, because they purposely choose healthy mates when they breed. You don't stay in business selling to farmers and hunters very long with sickly rear end animals.

If you're buying lovely designer breeds that have been coopted over the years, then yes chances are your dog is hosed. But I've never had a coonhound, cur, feist or bird dog with these pure bred issues. They're only bred for one purpose, and most aren't recognized as breeds by the AKC, so they haven't been ruined. And they're too sweet and chicken poo poo to try and fight.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I actually don't have much problem with the border collie breed standard, if only because it completely ignores aesthetics and promotes healthy, trainable, and hard-working dogs. My problem is people get border collies because they think "oh, smartest dog breed, I should get that!" and don't realize they're inviting a dog-shaped nuclear reactor bred to run around and chase sheep for 16+ hours a day into their home. People who want a pet dog should not get a border collie.

They can be rather willful too. Mine actively work together when trying to outsmart me.*

My two used to have some goats to "herd" when I lived on a farm, they don't now.

Murray (the long-haired one in my earlier picture) is pure-bred, his mom herds cattle and his dad is a champion sheepdog who won in Calgary in like 2012 or something like that. I didn't get him because he's pure-bred, I was actually looking for an Aussie at the time but couldn't find one without a docked tail (tail and ear docking for aesthetics should be illegal imo) and there was this ad on kijiji for adorable black and white border collie puppies and my dad, brother, and I went there the next day and Murray rode home on my lap.

Weaver, the short-haired one who is obviously not pure-bred, is part black lab, so part black lab that it's like someone took a black lab's head and stuck it on a border collie's body. Showed up at the farm about a year later, not but a week or two after I'd started thinking about getting a second dog so Murray would have someone else to harass.

Poor girl was terrified of everything, constantly submissive peeing, took me nearly 6 months to get her to be mostly normal. Even now, years later, she's still rather timid, acts out when too much is going on, etc. Negative reinforcement has never worked with her, even a strong "No" used to send her cowering in fear. Very affectionate dog too, I'll never understand why whoever it was that did this to her thought it was an okay thing to do.

*Sometimes they win.

E: The pictures in this post are the earliest pictures of both of my dogs that I have. Murray was 8 weeks, Weaver was approx 10 months and literally about to go into heat when she got spayed about a week after she showed up at the farm.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 27, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What?

Wrong. Immune systems benefit from a wide gene pool. The principles of monoculture is a good place to start to disprove your assertion, let alone the fact animals with the widest slection of genes DO tend to be hardier and resist disease

CAT INTERCEPTOR hosed around with this message at Mar 26, 2018 around 19:03

LMAO, put the part back in about husbandry that you edited out.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Our newest dog is timid like that with men. I taught her to shake today, and that's when I really noticed. I have to move my hand in a VERY certain way, or she cowers and piddles. It's loving sad, and if I could meet the oval office that owned her I'd like to see how loving much beating it would take until his rear end does the same.

How the gently caress do you beat a helpless rear end dog? Especially since they dumped her when she was a year loving old? She's the sweetest goddamn dog, just hyper....because she's a loving working dog who needs to be busy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

What is the end goal, with a call to end all purposeful dog breeding?

There's nothing wrong with dog breeding, the problem is it's not regulated so greedy people took advantage and created the problem that inbreeding creates.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
For almost a year she'd piss, poo poo, and vomit in the car. I couldn't pick her up without her pissing. Couldn't wear a hat around her without her pissing. It sucked all-around.

I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat, but goddamn, years later and I still want to kick in the teeth of whoever it was that did that to her.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

angryrobots posted:

LMAO, put the part back in about husbandry that you edited out.

It was 100% correct, I just changed it down to address the posts I didnt see. You want to narrow this down to immune systems and in general fitness, rather than regressive genes (which I add also affect the fitness of an animal anyway). Fine. I'm still correct.

In fact I have linked as well a discussion instead with science links. This is settled science and known truth in animal husbandry. Hybrid vigor is most certainly a thing - properly called Heterosis so anyone can go have a google.

http://www.instituteofcaninebiology.org/blog/the-myth-of-hybrid-vigor-in-dogsis-a-myth

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 27, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Working dogs are best dogs :catbert:
That's a hill I'd be willing to die on

Fermented Tinal posted:

I actually don't have much problem with the border collie breed standard, if only because it completely ignores aesthetics and promotes healthy, trainable, and hard-working dogs. My problem is people get border collies because they think "oh, smartest dog breed, I should get that!" and don't realize they're inviting a dog-shaped nuclear reactor bred to run around and chase sheep for 16+ hours a day into their home. People who want a pet dog should not get a border collie.

I like Weaver! That look on her face is just like my mutt, but when we catch her doing something she shouldn't
But yeah, shepherds are too smart and have far too much energy for the average household. Lord knows that I wouldn't have gotten Piper if I knew how much energy she would have, especially at her size. She wears through the toughest toys in hours and needs so much exercise and attention every day, or she moves from "wearing through toys" to "wearing through the house"
I love that dog, and she's a lot of fun, but she'll run us ragged some days

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Going tomorrow to look at a $600 98 civic. What could go wrong :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Nothing. You should have bought it sight unseen, then taken an uber over so you have to drive it home.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
This is making me miss my dogs hard right now because I'm working and they're at my folks' place since I kinda want to avoid using the kennel for entire shiftblocks until I absolutely have to start doing it. I need a new job as much for myself as for my dogs.

The dupont rotation I work doesn't just gently caress up my life, it fucks up their's too. We don't have a routine set time for walks because I am literally gone for 13 hours when I'm working and then changing over in between shift blocks. No daily routine for a dog is, well, just as bad as it is for a human. What sane person is walking their dogs at 3am one day and 4pm two days later and then 4am for the next four?

This is why I'm willing to commute up to 2.5-3 hours each way in my attempt to find a job with a normal work week. Even if it's just 30 minutes in the morning and 30 in the evening, at least it'll be routine and at least I'll have weekends to let them go hog wild on the property the shop's on until my parents sell it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
As Googe Smartlock automatically entered my Facebook password into the "confirm deletion" page, I felt a level of irony and futility in clicking the confirm button that I haven't felt in a long time

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Having no facebook is great. However, those with friends may feel differently.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

RIP the forums, running off lowtaxes retirement money

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cage posted:

Having no facebook is great. However, those with friends may feel differently.

There's some people, and some pages related to my work that I miss. Still worth it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The AI group is nice because we'll be able to touch base and regroup elsewhere when the feds raid Lowtax's servers.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The AI group is nice because we'll be able to touch base and regroup elsewhere when the feds raid Lowtax's servers.

on the other hand I noped out after someone was calling folks' workplaces and poo poo.

gently caress that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Previa_fun posted:

on the other hand I noped out after someone was calling folks' workplaces and poo poo.

gently caress that.

Yeah that was hosed. There's a couple chucklefucks that just want to gently caress with people's lives.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Delete Facebook

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I installed a Thule roof rack on my car first time, very impressed with it (unless it flies off and ruins vacation). Now that I know the ins and out I could do it again in 1/3 the time.

and this morning my ex wife came to the house and pulled up all the flowers in the yard claiming that they were “hers” and tried to smash the front door camera. Because she claimed she didn’t k ow I was taking kids to the beach tomorrow (I promise guys she knew, now she may have forgotten over the course of a few days without the kids but she knew and said it was fine).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol jesus christ dude

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat, remember when I had the worst life in AI?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

everdave posted:

and this morning my ex wife came to the house and pulled up all the flowers in the yard claiming that they were “hers” and tried to smash the front door camera.

Are they, like, prize-winning flowers, or just normal flowers?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I sincerely hope you're documenting this poo poo with proof with your divorce lawyer. I'm sure you don't want to use it against her in court, but if it becomes necessary, you'll need it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are they, like, prize-winning flowers, or just normal flowers?

I mean like tulips and buttercups I guess I don’t know they looked nice for spring. I mean she did plant maybe half of them and half have come up yearly since I got the house but that does t mean she owns them she does t live here anymore I know this will be funny to me one day. Yes I have it all on camera to others asking. And audio where she says when I get back from vacation nothing will be left in the yard she still does t realize cameras record audio too even if you knock them away from looking at you.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
When we recently bought our house, the lawyer we hired specifically mentioned a case where a seller had taken some plants from the garden (that were growing and rooted, not in pots) and that it was not allowed; legally it's part of the property. Your jurisdiction may vary.

(But even then, that's a hosed up thing to do.)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sounds to me like she is doing a pretty great job of giving you whatever you want in the divorce, although it's probably pretty rough to see/deal with right now. Video documentation with audio of her being insane can't help her in court.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Does one need the other user's e-mail address if one wants to buy him/her platinum?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

bolind posted:

Does one need the other user's e-mail address if one wants to buy him/her platinum?

I think you need their email tied to the account (we hadd to get arrange getting 14 a Plat and it was an issue)

And to others oh yeah she is crazy I just think she must have been drunk for 3 days and coming back to reality and me and the kids going on vacation and first time oops she ain’t going. Also she would not come back into town so I could go to my friends funeral yesterday because “she had plans” but today claimed she would have done anything for me to go? If you just say stuff after does that make it true? Ha

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Sorry for that poo poo Dave. My divorce was cake easy compared to that, I do not envy you.

Also if we're doing doggo chat, here's my daughter with her sweet puppy Daisy. She's a lab-sharpei mixed mutt so she has chocolate brown fur with tan highlights and slightly wrinkly face skin with folded floppy ears. She's an incredibly pretty dog whose only problem is she's a bit hyper-protective of her family so she barks like a motherfucker at strangers. Unfortunately I pick my daughter up from school so on the rare occasion that I see her, the dog doesn't know me at all and tries to defend my own kid from me. It's sweet and annoying at the same time.

I'm incredibly allergic to dogs and cats so unfortunately I can't have either, but holy poo poo is this a beautiful dog.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 27, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Sorry for that poo poo Dave. My divorce was cake easy compared to that, I do not envy you.

Thanks man! As par for the course she has calmed down and says it is ok we go to Florida tomorrow. My first time taking kids alone so far so hope all goes well.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Previa_fun posted:

gently caress that.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah that was hosed. There's a couple chucklefucks that just want to gently caress with people's lives.

I'm giving serious thought to burning the current group, aside from people that I know are part of AI. Then making one of the mandatory request to join questions "what's your forums username". Then doing a search on their post history before approving them, to make sure they're actually on SA.

But... I'm not the only admin in the group, and that might be going a bit too 1984 (even though the group was kinda thrown into my lap at one point - I was the only admin at one point).

There's entirely too many people in there vs how many active posters we have in here, it's very loving obvious a large chunk of the members aren't in AI (or on SA at all).. The random joins are almost nil now that it's a secret group, but still :tinfoil: I've had join questions in there for awhile, but people still blindly approve the requests. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 27, 2018

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

Also if we're doing doggo chat, here's my daughter with her sweet puppy Daisy.

No no no, your daughter is, like, four, and is a sweet little girl that helps you out in the garage with your Volvos and calls the big wrench the daddy wrench and... :psyduck:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bolind posted:

No no no, your daughter is, like, four, and is a sweet little girl that helps you out in the garage with your Volvos and calls the big wrench the daddy wrench and... :psyduck:

Yup. I had the same thoughts.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

everdave posted:

Thanks man! As par for the course she has calmed down and says it is ok we go to Florida tomorrow. My first time taking kids alone so far so hope all goes well.

You still have, like, video evidence of her trying to smash your front door camera, right?

Because I'm sorry man, but you're going to fuckin need it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm giving serious thought to burning the current group, aside from people that I know are part of AI. Then making one of the mandatory request to join questions "what's your forums username". Then doing a search on their post history before approving them, to make sure they're actually on SA.

But... I'm not the only admin in the group, and that might be going a bit too 1984 (even though the group was kinda thrown into my lap at one point - I was the only admin at one point).

There's entirely too many people in there vs how many active posters we have in here, it's very loving obvious a large chunk of the members aren't in AI (or on SA at all).. The random joins are almost nil now that it's a secret group, but still :tinfoil: I've had join questions in there for awhile, but people still blindly approve the requests. :sigh:

Sart a thread on the group that simply says post username. Anyone that doesnt answer then burn em

Also who actually set the group up int he first place?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Also loving off to Canada tomorrow morning. Vancouver / Victoria.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

everdave posted:

I mean like tulips and buttercups I guess I don’t know they looked nice for spring. I mean she did plant maybe half of them and half have come up yearly since I got the house but that does t mean she owns them she does t live here anymore I know this will be funny to me one day. Yes I have it all on camera to others asking. And audio where she says when I get back from vacation nothing will be left in the yard she still does t realize cameras record audio too even if you knock them away from looking at you.

On the plus side, it's now extremely unlikely that you'll turn up on her doorstep, sobbing and drunk and begging to be taken back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

spog posted:

On the plus side, it's now extremely unlikely that you'll turn up on her doorstep, sobbing and drunk and begging to be taken back.

Haha, it's fun to be the recipient of such a thing, though. Right around Christmas after we split up I got a message on the machine from my ex-wife crying saying how much she missed me. It certainly helped my psychological recovery when I ignored the message because I didn't miss her. :v:

• Locked thread