Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the mobile port i'm looking forward to is super mario galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The boss fights in Mario Rabbids kind of suck. They usually have fun enough gimmicks, but the fully recharging health bars out of nowhere kind of ruin them. It’s really unsatisfying to think you killed a boss just to realize you spent your your health and resources and he’s going to just refill the whole health bar an unknown amount of times.

Like, the donkey Kong boss was allright, because at least you can see what to do and how many platforms he’s going to land on, but I’m on the ice golem now and he just feels cheap. There isn’t even any narrative reason he gets his health back as far as I can tell and after the third time I’m just annoyed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

veni veni veni posted:

The boss fights in Mario Rabbids kind of suck. They usually have fun enough gimmicks, but the fully recharging health bars out of nowhere kind of ruin them. It’s really unsatisfying to think you killed a boss just to realize you spent your your health and resources and he’s going to just refill the whole health bar an unknown amount of times.

Like, the donkey Kong boss was allright, because at least you can see what to do and how many platforms he’s going to land on, but I’m on the ice golem now and he just feels cheap. There isn’t even any narrative reason he gets his health back as far as I can tell.

Haven't you ever played a boss with multiple phases before?

Their health isn't really refilling, they just have multiple bars, like Dr Wily

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Haven't you ever played a boss with multiple phases before?

Their health isn't really refilling, they just have multiple bars, like Dr Wily

The game should indicate how many bars there is going to be or there is absolutely no difference than the health just refilling. Unless I missed it somewhere but I don’t see it. Seems dumb to have you plan for something tactically and then doesn’t actually give you the information you need to do that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I’m really liking the new Kirby game y’all. The level design is ridiculously simplistic, but the aesthetic is so charming that it just about makes up for it. But the game is designed with the Mario Odyssey philosophy, which is that the run from the start to the credits is simple and easy, but then you can move to the more challenging stuff from there if you want.

It’s kind of crazy that there are literally dozens of characters you can play as, each with its own unique and pretty extensive set of abilities, not including that many of them have weapons that can be augmented with a handful of elemental effects, each one changing up combos and attack animations, and different combo moves with different pairs of characters. And, that the game gives you a 1.5 - 2 hour long “greatest hits” version of the campaign to play through with each one of you want.

Game’s good.

I’ve only just started messing around with the boss run mode but it’s really fun trying to find which class combos are the most fun or break the game the most. Speaking of, is there any benefit or extra reward for doing boss runs with less than 3 CPU dudes helping out or do most people just kind of do that as a challenge for themselves or something?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Reality Loser posted:

Remove the phone ports.

Remove [new trick] to make [old thing that couldn't do new trick] look more successful!

Some games like Catquest may technically be "phone ports" in some sense but still deserve to be counted.

edit: poo poo, half the Wii library was garbage shovelware and this is just the new shovelware. No one is saying all those games are good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I haven't played Mario & Rabbits but I agree that obfuscating extra health bars/phases on bosses should be used sparingly for dramatic effect . It carries a lot of weight when used correctly but it's cheapened when it just happens all the time for no reason. Dark Souls 3 is a weird case study where the first few times it happens (like the Gundyr tutorial fight) it's mind blowing but then it basically becomes the gimmick for every single boss in the game and sometimes the phases aren't differentiated enough to justify not just giving the boss one big-rear end health pool to begin with . It does mean that practically every boss fight has TWO songs for the soundtrack though which is kinda cool

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
gently caress man, I was pissed when one Kracko became two Krackos in the most recent Kirby (I wasted all my Mike shouts on the first one!)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gundyr doesn’t even get any health back he just hits harder and changes move sets after he transforms.

Actually I can’t think of any bosses in DS3 that do that. Which ones are you thinking of?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 27, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The ashes of ariandel boss comes to mind

Also maybe lothric

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

veni veni veni posted:

Gundyr doesn’t even get any health back he just hits harder and changes move sets after he transforms.

Actually I can’t think of any bosses in DS3 that do that. Which ones are you thinking of?

It's been awhile but isn't Nameless King a proper two-phase boss?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why worry about small crappy titles on the eShop when you should be worried about how poor you will be by the end of 2018

Here's my personal list of 2018 games

Buying this year
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
- Dark Souls Remastered
- Dead Cells
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Hollow Knight
- Indivisible
- Lumines Remastered
- Mario Tennis Aces
- Nidhogg 2
- Octopath Traveller
- Okami HD
- Pool Panic
- South Park Fractured, But Whole
- Super Smash Bros
- Ultimate Chicken Horse
- Wargroove

Maybe if I have extra cash/deep discount
- Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
- Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
- Street Fighter: 30th Anniversary Collection
- Titan Quest
- Undertale
- Valkyria Chronicles 4
- Wolfenstein 2

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Policenaut posted:

It's been awhile but isn't Nameless King a proper two-phase boss?

Yeah. There’s a handful of those in souls I just can’t think of any bosses that actually have more than one health bar in the series. I know a couple like vicar Amelia have a heal spell, and sometimes a second boss pops in in the middle of the fight.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

GreatGreen posted:

I’ve only just started messing around with the boss run mode but it’s really fun trying to find which class combos are the most fun or break the game the most. Speaking of, is there any benefit or extra reward for doing boss runs with less than 3 CPU dudes helping out or do most people just kind of do that as a challenge for themselves or something?

It's basically just an extra challenge people like to do, since bosses get taken down super fast with 4 people. I dunno if Star Allies does this, but in Return to Dreamland (the Wii Kirby game) it actually lowered everyone's damage outputs against bosses if there were more players playing.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Buying this year

- Dark Souls Remastered
- Hollow Knight
- Mario Tennis Aces
- Super Smash Bros
- Hyper Light Drifter

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Infinitum posted:

Why worry about small crappy titles on the eShop when you should be worried about how poor you will be by the end of 2018

Buying this year
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
- Dark Souls Remastered
- Dead Cells
- Hollow Knight
- Indivisible
- Lumines Remastered
- Mario Tennis Aces
- Nidhogg 2
- Octopath Traveller
- Okami HD
- Pool Panic
- Super Smash Bros
- Ultimate Chicken Horse
- Wargroove

Maybe if I have extra cash/deep discount
- Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
- Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
- Street Fighter: 30th Anniversary Collection
- Titan Quest
- Undertale
- Valkyria Chronicles 4
- Wolfenstein 2

You made me just realize how much drat money I’m going to spend this year. And that’s not even cool poo poo they’re saving for E3 that they haven’t announced yet.:cry:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

may also get Yoshi

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I think for AAA title I'm just going to get Dark Souls Remastered and Mario Tennis Aces. It takes me so long to beat games nowadays, and I have recently decided I refuse to purchase games until I've played through the ones I bought beforehand.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I’ll probably buy like four games in 2018 and put twenty more on my wishlist to buy in 2019-22.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I bought Mario + Rabbids at one point but it absolutely failed to do it for me, I got completely bored of the core gameplay and bowed out around the chapter 1 midboss

Was surprised at how... not annoying? Maybe even good?... the rabbids were at least

So now I've got Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero (also owned on PC because I forgot), Sonic Mania, Golf Story and Kirby Star Allies to play, as well as "completed" Odyssey and Breath of the Wild (never did finish most of the DLC or get that sweet hog)

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Wait, Titan Quest is on the Switch? I had no idea.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Elderbean posted:

Wait, Titan Quest is on the Switch? I had no idea.

Every game is coming to the Switch

Every game will be on the Switch

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

is far cry 5 on switch

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oh heeey dance of the necrodancer is $5 off! I might pick it up for a cool $15, guess I did beat Bayonetta 2.

What's the usual route for post game Bayonetta 2? Try to get plats in hard, go straight to the hardest difficulty, or buy out the shop etc?

Basically what would be the funnest? I'm decent enough at Hard (aka normal) to be getting occasional silvers or golds during my first playthrough (umbran climax is kind of insane when paired with dodge offset)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

is far cry 5 on switch

Only good games are coming to the Switch

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

2018 Switch looks weak compared to 2017, but I'm ok with that because there is enough new stuff to pick up to keep me busy, and enough backlogged stuff I still want that it won't be collecting dust at all. I'd probably be bummed about 2018 if I had owned a Wii U though. The lack of anything approaching the levels of BOTW or Mario Odyssey is pretty glaring. It'd be nice to see a release date for Metroid Prime.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

goferchan posted:

I haven't played Mario & Rabbits but I agree that obfuscating extra health bars/phases on bosses should be used sparingly for dramatic effect . It carries a lot of weight when used correctly but it's cheapened when it just happens all the time for no reason. Dark Souls 3 is a weird case study where the first few times it happens (like the Gundyr tutorial fight) it's mind blowing but then it basically becomes the gimmick for every single boss in the game and sometimes the phases aren't differentiated enough to justify not just giving the boss one big-rear end health pool to begin with . It does mean that practically every boss fight has TWO songs for the soundtrack though which is kinda cool

Yeah, like the above guys say, it's certainly not common, and Gundyr doesn't do it. I only just started playing the game a few weeks ago, too, so my memory's fresh. I'm level 80, 45 hours played, and I haven't seen a single boss that refilled a health bar.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

veni veni veni posted:

2018 Switch looks weak compared to 2017, but I'm ok with that because there is enough new stuff to pick up to keep me busy, and enough backlogged stuff I still want that it won't be collecting dust at all. I'd probably be bummed about 2018 if I had owned a Wii U though. The lack of anything approaching the levels of BOTW or Mario Odyssey is pretty glaring. It'd be nice to see a release date for Metroid Prime.

Ehhh if Smash 5 is actually coming in 2018 then that's pretty much on the same level. Beyond that all I think I'm buying for this system so far this year is Octopath.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Ehhh if Smash 5 is actually coming in 2018 then that's pretty much on the same level. Beyond that all I think I'm buying for this system so far this year is Octopath.

I guess that will be a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I personally can't stand smash bros though.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Definitely picking up Yoshi in the first week, Wooly World was so freakin' good

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

GreatGreen posted:

I *think* the boss health scales slightly with how many allies you have. Personally, I often find myself getting lost among the NPCs if I have three or four, which can result in some dumb damage. Meta Knight makes only two shadow-clones if you have one or zero helpers. Also, the later two bosses can turn them against you. Most of my runs have been either Meta Knight + Birdon (for wind power, which increases damage a bit and lets you chain a million Sword Spins in a row) or Dedede + Plugg/NESP (for zap aspect, which does the most damage, along with Dedede's extremely OP Hammer Throw). Apparently, Zap Staff is also exceptional.

And yeah, a nice thing about the game being so short is that I brought it to a friend's and we beat the main storyline in one relatively short sitting so she wouldn't have to avoid lore spoilers anymore.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mario Tennis is going to be Aces.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If the new Atelier game is any good I'll get it. Octopath is a day 1 buy though.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Lookit this happy lizard and it's fuzzy pals :kimchi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx_C9jJ0AlA

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wolly World was a really great coop experience because it was half helping each other do cool stuff and half indirectly killing each other with eggs to the back of the head.

Though I'm a bit worried about the new Yoshi game for the Switch. Its absence in the last direct was really weird.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there a Fire Emblem or other similar strategy game on this yet besides Mario & Rabbids? Suddenly jonesin'

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 27, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

that ivy guy posted:

*boss info*

And yeah, a nice thing about the game being so short is that I brought it to a friend's and we beat the main storyline in one relatively short sitting so she wouldn't have to avoid lore spoilers anymore.

Yeah, I'm starting to really appreciate this newish design approach of "relatively short campaign, tons of post-game content" thing that's happening these days. Like a lot.

With huge storyline games, I often find myself just slogging through to get to the end. I don't have as much time as I used to so it's nice to actually beat games and see the resolution of killing the Big Bad and then seeing the credits roll in a reasonable about of time, instead of just putting it down and never seeing the ending, Witcher 3 :argh:. Then, once you "beat" the game and see the credits roll, suddenly all the pressure is off and you're free to do all that extra content at whatever pace you like and feel like you got your money's worth... which, relevant to this thread, is kinda perfect for games on portable platforms.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 27, 2018

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a Fire Emblem or other similar strategy game on this yet besides Mario & Rabbids? Suddenly jonesin'

There's the Mercenary game collection, but I got bored of it after like 10-15 hours. There's Disgaea 5, but that's a really tough series to get into. There are supposed to be some decent tactical/strategies games coming soon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Please join me in looking forward to "Wargroove"

• Locked thread