Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I have the absolute worst start on the whole map but I will never reveal my pirate secrets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdTU7InFE2g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I have the absolute worst start on the whole map but I will never reveal my pirate secrets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdTU7InFE2g
if you're on like the left or right edge of the map you can keep going to the other side

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

if you're on like the left or right edge of the map you can keep going to the other side

I have a shitload of the map revealed but I can't say heheheh

2 more bases and I'm solid for the whole game. that's like months from now though so let's keep goin everyone. I know you all hate me for anime

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

SmokaDustbowl posted:

2 more bases and I'm solid for the whole game.

You can stop making bases after a certain number of them and still win? :psyduck:
Never realized that, but probably Civ 1 spoiled me into thinking that I should have just carpeted the whole map of cities and railroads.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

no, you should spam them all the goddamn time

I might be all micro-managed out at this point.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

who has the save? ive had a rough week and wanna unwind by moving my scouts 1 tile and clicking end turn!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
last person who reported moving the save along was smoka (rip, again), so if it's not you it's either sagebrush or luigi30

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

not me, just checked my email

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Luigi Thirty posted:

zakharov complete

maybe i'll have this REDACTED built by 2019

SMH if it's not the human genome project instead of the weather paradigm.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
at this point i think everyone still has one worker per base (unless there's a faction that starts with two or gets extras) and if you're working on secret projects instead of like, rovers or colony pods, lol

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i dunno, drones can become kinda unpleasant for zakharov in the mid-long term. human genome project helps with that. of course the only critical secret project for the university is still the hunter seeker algorithm but everyone knows that

man, now that i think about it i'd forgotten how much fun the espionage game can be in smax. which is weird because it's usually something i never really focus on in other games including the rest of the civ series

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
sure but at this stage in the game, everyone's got level 1 bases (unless someone starts with a level 2?) and more workers to consume more resource tiles helps build speeders or colony pods or w/e

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

univ can mitigate drones with hologram theatre and virtual world so hey ya'll, if we wanna nuke univ lets all rush virtual world :P

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
you're playing as the hive! the university is the last faction you want to see nuked/nerve gassed since they're doing all your research!

god have you people even played this game before

it's murder the believers first (because gently caress godwinson and anyway she's probably declared war before you did), then start spying on the university, then start murdering all those other idiots. it's not orbital spaceflight people!

(also virtual world isn't nearly as useful since you can always build holo-theaters on a per-base basis while the genome project doesn't have any base improvement counterpart)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the posts

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

not me, just checked my email

in theory you should have it now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ya it's in my sent mail folder

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i got it and will be playing and sending it off once i'm back home

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anthonypants posted:

sure but at this stage in the game, everyone's got level 1 bases (unless someone starts with a level 2?) and more workers to consume more resource tiles helps build speeders or colony pods or w/e

Has it really only been <10 turns? If anyone has a nutrient bonus they should have at least 2 pop in their starting bases.

e: also didn't someone find a unity chopper?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i have a level 2 base, op.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
my turn is done and also smoka's turn is done

i think it's weird i haven't run into anyone yet but maybe that's because of all the loving fungus in my zone

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

anthonypants posted:

my turn is done and also smoka's turn is done

i think it's weird i haven't run into anyone yet but maybe that's because of all the loving fungus in my zone

yeah i've got lots of fungus too but i staked out some spots for my bases with bonuses so i guess it works

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i love the fungus

i am one with the fungus

i am already taming the mind worms and soon i will ride the great shai-hulud

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

you know, i don't think i ever tried equipping a colony pod with a pressure hull to get a submersible colony pod... a good way to get a defensible beachhead on a continent if other options aren't available

other options being obliterating the entire continent with planetbusters of course

you can put them on needlejets

design workshop lets you do all sorts of dumb poo poo that ranges from "excellent emergent gameplay" to "lol they didn't do any qa"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raminasi posted:

design workshop lets you do all sorts of dumb poo poo that ranges from "excellent emergent gameplay" to "lol they didn't do any qa"

i've never tried it but you can fly away for 30 tiles over 2 turns or whatever and drop a base?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

raminasi posted:

ooooh, i never tried colony needlejets before. in the "excellent emergent gameplay", submersible aircraft carriers are probably one of my favorites

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

i've never tried it but you can fly away for 30 tiles over 2 turns or whatever and drop a base?

i have tried this and it only lets you use them if they're already in a base, so they're basically an expensive passenger airline service

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

ooooh, i never tried colony needlejets before. in the "excellent emergent gameplay", submersible aircraft carriers are probably one of my favorites

japan built a couple of those during ww2

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
they didn't fill them up with needlejets or planetbusters, though. that's why they lost the war

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Glorgnole posted:

i have tried this and it only lets you use them if they're already in a base, so they're basically an expensive passenger airline service

aw i thought you could :( it’s been a decade since i played this game, guess i’m misremembering

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Glorgnole posted:

I remember building colony needle jets and founding bases with them. maybe some kind of balance patch? did you put a sea-colony pod instead of a land colony pod on it?

I don’t remember if you could do that or not.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
could the behavior be different on different patch versions, or between smac and smax

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
come to think of it there's a good chance that you can do it with the right-click menu but not the keyboard shortcut (like with paradrops in range of aerospace complexes)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

does anyone ever use gravships?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

played my turn and sent onto improbable lobster. thankyou drones for agreeing to form a pact! :)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cheese-cube posted:

played my turn and sent onto improbable lobster. thankyou drones for agreeing to form a pact! :)

:hfive:

my turn has been sent

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
gonna do my turn when i get home :toot:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i'm mad

i spent A MILLION TURNS moving my scout and there's a loving fungal tower in the way and i have to spend all of 2018 moving around it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty posted:

i'm mad

i spent A MILLION TURNS moving my scout and there's a loving fungal tower in the way and i have to spend all of 2018 moving around it
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

what's the current Mission Year?