Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s your point? We have a problem with racism in this country, and this picture does not help. It is extremely tone deaf to say “oh it’s just how it is in news! :downs:

I don’t think a lot of people realize that same image can appear differently depending on what site/app/cell phone/computer/etc you’re viewing it on, so I’m explaining the innocuous, mundane reason behind it. I’m sure it’s not even limited to news sites.

New York Times is poo poo and deserves a lot of criticism it receives. That picture is not one of the reasons for it, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

these breitbart comments (on an article that talks about trump's "soaring" approval ratings) are remarkable:

trump may be in big trouble

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Again... TheOnion - NRA Says Parkland Students Should Be Grateful For Guns Giving Them Such A Memorable Bonding Experience

Onion writers trying to write Onion headlines before they are actual ones the next day!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/978409649589374978

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

Yes, the Federal government can ask you if you are a citizen on the US Census. The US Census is also forbidden by law from sharing individual records with anyone, including the IRS, the FBI, and law enforcement. They can only share higher-level data that can't identify specific individuals.

However, its unlikely that a lot of undocumented people will know that, or believe it if they are told that.

Tell that to the Japanese Americans who got put in concentration camps, a process aided by the Census Bureau who gave up names and addresses

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Lol, that was not an autocrop

It clearly only cut her out of the image. Someone wanted the podium in the center of the shot and thought dude on rights jacket made for a nice crisp edge.

So you'll respond 8 pages late to someone else but you won't respond to my sensible semi-CMS centered response? The crop may have been tone deaf but dont apply malice to journalists when there's so much stupidity to go around. It's actually hard to put a story with a photo let alone share it all on Facebook. The NYT has racists working for it. Don't put the onus on the journalist or social media manager who put the article together for online publication and did a lovely job finding an image that went with the story.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Behold the reason why Trump will never drop below 40% approval:

https://twitter.com/AC360/status/978452945535688705

People like this.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ballz posted:

I don’t know the NYT’s CMS so I can’t comment with any certainty but if the cropping was done by a human editor and not automated, then I think you discovered the reason why, and it has nothing to do with race or gender.

Like I said, same pic will display differently depending on where and how it’s viewed. You’d never even know the picture was cropped if you hadn’t seen how the Twitter preview displayed the image.

There's always an innocent explanation for cropping the sole PoC out of a shot, imo.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

People like this.

That's why everyone who wants the piss babies gone that can vote needs to vote their hardest.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Giggy posted:

So you'll respond 8 pages late to someone else but you won't respond to my sensible semi-CMS centered response? The crop may have been tone deaf but dont apply malice to journalists when there's so much stupidity to go around. It's actually hard to put a story with a photo let alone share it all on Facebook. The NYT has racists working for it. Don't put the onus on the journalist or social media manager who put the article together for online publication and did a lovely job finding an image that went with the story.

Someone made the editorial choice to crop out the only PoC in the shot for photo in the article. Folks can ascribe whatever colorblind explanation they want, the result is white-washing a story on the website of a major publication.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Can someone explain to me why Cambridge Analitica's information gathering was illegal (or potentially illegal)? I'm having a hard time understanding, as I assumed that is something that was already done constantly with various ads and whatnot along the line of figuring out your demographics so ads would be better targeted to you. Thanks in advance!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Banana Man posted:

Can someone explain to me why Cambridge Analitica's information gathering was illegal (or potentially illegal)? I'm having a hard time understanding, as I assumed that is something that was already done constantly with various ads and whatnot along the line of figuring out your demographics so ads would be better targeted to you. Thanks in advance!

It's looking increasingly like it was not "stolen" from facebook, as they share that poo poo with anyone who has a partnership with them which apparently included CA.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Banana Man posted:

Besides all of the crazy poo poo the CEO bragged about, foreign nationals aren't supposed to do campaign work in the US

Not only did that do that, they continued to do so despite being repeatedly warned (by Rudy Guliani's lawfirm) that it was illegal

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Camel Camus posted:

The scariest shark is the Whale Shark, which consumes whales with one muscular bite.

Megalodon, the 60-foot shark that specialized in whales, 15-foot sea turtles, and seals.

Chilichimp posted:

It's looking increasingly like it was not "stolen" from facebook, as they share that poo poo with anyone who has a partnership with them which apparently included CA.

I don't think they ever got the data directly from Facebook, but apparently Facebook knew about the violation in 2015 and did nothing but remove the researcher's app.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 27, 2018

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Banana Man posted:

Chilichimp posted:

As I understand it the legal questions stem from whether the firm was a foreign operative which would constitute illegal interference... I think that's the contention anyway.

Edit: So your custom title basically.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 27, 2018

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nine-gear crow posted:

People like this.

Everytime I see one of these AC360 roundtables of women Trump supporters I can't help but think of the Goodfellas scene where Karen meets the wives

https://youtu.be/u2L_0bDK6tY

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cable Guy posted:

As I understand it the legal questions stem from whether the firm was a foreign operative which would constitute illegal interference... I think that's the contention anyway.

Even if the firm was US-based with no nefarious purposes, the Facebook user agreement and the research agreement allows data to be shared with researchers, but not sold to outside firms by those researchers. At the least it's a breach of contract on the part of both Facebook and the Dr. Kogan, currently under investigation by the FTC. I'd imagine that Cambridge Analytica's use of the data would then also constitute a breach of contract with the users (since they never made one), but I don't have the legal expertise to say for sure.

Cable Guy posted:

Edit:
So your custom title basically.

With less emphasis on "quite".

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Banana Man posted:

There are potential campaign finance law violations revolving around foreign involvement in their operations or something.

The scandal is really that they collected data from a number of accounts large enough for people to start thinking "huh, I thought there were privacy protections against this sort of thing?" and Facebook is squirming around because they have to assure their users that they care about their privacy while not admitting that their entire business model is built around collecting as many details about their users' lives as possible to sell the opportunity to put targeted messaging in front of them to the highest bidder and CA was really just doing exactly what Facebook was designed for.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Yikes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Personally I'm disappointed the foreign interference part isn't what people are more pissed about.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Yeah legal troubles aside, I think this is mainly about Facebook losing the public relations war. People are finally starting to realize social networks are garbage and all their info is being sold to the lowest bidder, which in this particular case led to a cheeto being elected to the presidency. If that illusion is shattered, networks like Facebook or Twitter don't really have much to offer on their own... Or that is my hope, at least.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Why are we talking about sharks?

Also the whale shark is a filter-feeder.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I just went in my bathroom, turned off the lights so it was pitch black for a about minute, then took a selfie with flash. My pupils were still only about 3/4 as big as Stormy's during her interview.

Conclusion: Anderson Cooper is an ophthalmologist.

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 27, 2018

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sharks are actually a type of dolphin.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PhazonLink posted:

Because necks are for sheep.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

AnnoyBot posted:

I just went in my bathroom, turned off the lights so it was pitch black for a about minute, then took a selfie with flash. My pupils were still only about 3/4 as big as Stormy's during her interview.

Conclusion: Anderson Cooper is an ophthalmologist.

Is this the new RWM talking point then? lol

I suppose Trump's constant sniffing is just allergies

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Classtoise posted:

Bold move for a guy who looks like this

to talk about genetic purity and strength.

he literally just looks normal as gently caress dude.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Isn't this basically a tautology? "If we had a society that truly rewarded people for being good at things, people who are innately good at things would be rewarded more!" Stunning insight there :raise:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Lol, that was not an autocrop

It clearly only cut her out of the image. Someone wanted the podium in the center of the shot and thought dude on rights jacket made for a nice crisp edge.

Why would someone intentionally center-poll the podium? It ruins the composition of the original photo.

Auto crop software exists with edge detection you know.

The more relevant question is why is the only poc pushed out to the periphery of the group photo.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
A new study demonstrates that in a true meritocracy, the estate tax is 100%.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Christ alive, I remember a student being rightfully, socially flayed alive for writing a loving column like this when I was in college.

I know every loving monster is coming out of the woodwork now, but loving come on.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Isn't this basically a tautology? "If we had a society that truly rewarded people for being good at things, people who are innately good at things would be rewarded more!" Stunning insight there :raise:

Whenever you hear the term "meritocracy" you have to understand that it is thrown around by people in power as a way of saying "we got to where we are using our intelligence and skills, not because we were lucky to be born white/rich/privileged."

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

PhazonLink posted:

This is a great point!

Whale sharks need a high fat diet to support their size, so will "filter feed" by sifting out the bycatch caught in their enormous bites when hunting (kelp, plankton, or barnacles for example) using their tongues and small specialized organs within their mouth called "denticles." This leaves more room in their stomach for blubber and other energy efficient fatty tissue.

Enough about cool sharks though, don't want to derail the thread.

Edit: Whoops, typos.

Camel Camus fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 27, 2018

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Markovnikov posted:

Yeah legal troubles aside, I think this is mainly about Facebook losing the public relations war. People are finally starting to realize social networks are garbage and all their info is being sold to the lowest bidder, which in this particular case led to a cheeto being elected to the presidency. If that illusion is shattered, networks like Facebook or Twitter don't really have much to offer on their own... Or that is my hope, at least.

Am I the only one that thinks the biggest idiots in the Cambridge Analyitica scandal are the typical Facebook users? I mean are people really that naive to think that if they make their whole lives public then there will be no repercussions? And do they understand what "public" means? Why was this the straw that broke the camel's back? For years I've been hearing stories about employers firing employees for social media posts that were slightly less than professional and yet everyone still used these stupid websites? But when word gets out that some shady company basically stole everyone's info all of a sudden everyone wants to delete their Facebook pages? I just don't get it.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

nine-gear crow posted:

People like this.

is that woman dr lynette bryant? isnt she a democrat or something?

also question: is there a possibility mueller is waiting until after the midterms hoping the dems win to provide impeachable evidence fearing if he did it now the gop might do nothing and that would be bad?

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 27, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

No, because when were talking about human comparative advantage "innately good at thing" is only even remotely comparable to the influence of environmental factors and circumstance for the tiniest fraction of people.

PhazonLink posted:

Because hard hitting journalism: We’ve Pinpointed the ‘Shark Week’ Doc Stormy Daniels Said She Watched With Donald Trump

Stickman fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 27, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

empty whippet box posted:

he literally just looks normal as gently caress dude.

:thejoke:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops." - Stephen Jay Gould

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Stickman posted:

No, because when were talking about human comparative advantage "innately good at thing" is only even remotely comparable to the influence of environmental factors and circumstance for the tiniest fraction of people.

True in general, but the message of the underlying scientific study, which may be wrong but is legit, is that the British state does provide adequate schooling in the basic maths and English tested by exams at age 16. And does so to enough of the population that any exceptions are not the rule. If the environment is, in one pariticular aspect, made equal enough, then any remaining differences are, by definition, going to be inherited; that’s what successful egalitarianism looks like.

That wouldn’t have been true 20 years ago, and almost certainly isn’t true now for other subjects they didn’t study.

Or indeed for other countries they didn’t study in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

nine-gear crow posted:

People like this.

What is with the loving picture?

• Locked thread