Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Say Nothing posted:

Meanwhile, in the Netherlands...

i dunno what this is but its filling me with dread and also an urge to ride on it while its moving

e: and also an urge to watch it fling a car like a giant trebuchet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why disable the alarms and sprinklers?
Kids smoking in stairwells/toilets, bad plumbing, false alarms.... or uh... reasons. :10bux:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Cable Guy posted:

Kids smoking in stairwells/toilets, bad plumbing, false alarms.... or uh... reasons. :10bux:

I get, in a horrible way, chaining the doors shut and disabling the fire alarms. But why the gently caress would you disable the fire suppression system that you spent so much money to....oh

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

SelenicMartian posted:

The news is the door were locked so that no one could sneak into the cinema.

Good thing that security saved them a couple of dollars.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Uber‘s self-driving cars required a driver intervention every 13 miles, at best.
and yet:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-27/uber-s-autonomous-cars-suspended-by-arizona-after-fatal-crash posted:

A couple weeks before Uber’s fatal encounter, [Arizona Governor] Ducey approved the use of autonomous vehicles without safety drivers
but then from the first article, Arizona doesn't require companies to report this intervention frequency information, so they had no way of knowing how bad Uber is when deciding it was fine to have no safety driver.

https://t.co/XJqfRQVeOq posted:

Waymo is now testing cars in Chandler, Ariz., a Phoenix suburb, with no safety drivers.
:stonk: Apparently these Google cars require a lot less intervention though.

quote:

On Monday, Uber halted autonomous car tests in Arizona, Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Toronto. It is not clear when the company will revive them.

quote:

When Uber moved to a single operator, some employees expressed safety concerns to managers, according to the two people familiar with Uber’s operations. They were worried that going solo would make it harder to remain alert during hours of monotonous driving.

quote:

Not all drivers followed Uber’s training. One was fired after falling asleep at the wheel and being spotted by a colleague.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Julius CSAR posted:

The best part of that story is that the Whiteshirt, the guy on the deck in charge of safety, had already told that dude like three times that night to stop walking so close to the intake. loving dumbass. Screaming jet air intakes terrify me and I've been around them most of my adult life.

If anyone wants to hear more stories about dumb safety violations in aviation, civilian or military, boy have I got a grip of them.
My favourite engine ingestion story is the one in this article...
https://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/27/harrier-pilot-proves-marines-can-stick-a-crazy-landing-in-a-pinch

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

I thought trying to trigger traffic light road sensors into seeing me was hard enough now I'm gonna have to include some kinda RF signal emitter to let the cars of the future see me?

[edit] I would be okay with this.
LMAO I will carry a chalk bag full of caltrops before I do this.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Powershift posted:

This is crazy. Capping a well after a blowout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1IbfokGr0Y

how much do you not want to be the dude in the back hoe with a shed on it.

I wonder if all the existing fire makes their torches work faster.

If you need more sheet-metal sheds near a death-jet of fire, check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L77BSBKvMJk

This is a documentary about fighting the oil well fires in Kuwait after Desert Storm. Includes usage of explosives as an extinguisher and jet engines mounted onto a tank!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

quite stretched out posted:

i dunno what this is but its filling me with dread and also an urge to ride on it while its moving

I want to modify it so the ballast works like a sipping bird desk toy just reeeeeaaal slow.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I get, in a horrible way, chaining the doors shut and disabling the fire alarms. But why the gently caress would you disable the fire suppression system that you spent so much money to....oh

Shoddily installed fire sprinkler systems tend to start leaking all over the place in short order. They are so easy to shut off and just leave off, well as long as you also disable the alarm system that monitors them being online.

It's surprisingly common, even in the USA. Hell just this year in my area it there was an elementary school that was getting utility improvements done. One of the improvements was upgrading the fire service line. So during the summer they dug up the old service line and removed it back to the road. Then later in the summer they put in a new service line. Except for the fact that they only ran if 10' back onto the property so they could close the road back up, but never went back to finish running it into the school.

So the project ends and the school year starts. The inspection company kept going in and checking the pressure gauges on the sprinkler system, but I guess never bothered to run the super critical water flow test, and so for an entire year never noticed that the sprinkler system didn't actually have a water supply.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So the project ends and the school year starts. The inspection company kept going in and checking the pressure gauges on the sprinkler system, but I guess never bothered to run the super critical water flow test, and so for an entire year never noticed that the sprinkler system didn't actually have a water supply.

It could also have been a dry system, which has no water (supposed to be filled with inert gasunder some pressure); these are used in a number of applications, particularly spaces where it can get below freezing, or where there's a lot of valuable contents/electronics that they don't want to risk on a failure or false alarm. It's possible they capped the intake side as well during the construction, in which case, when they pressure-tesed it at the manifolds, the system held pressure...and you'd never see water.

With respect to the Mall of Siberia fire: remember the Sochi crappy construction hijinks? If the system worked at all, at any point, it may have also been a dry set-up...however, I suspect we're going to find out eventually that most of the safety systems never really ever worked properly to begin with.

Russia is all of the cautionary tales about the reasons for regulation, and enforcement, the US should ever need.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Shoddily installed fire sprinkler systems tend to start leaking all over the place in short order. They are so easy to shut off and just leave off, well as long as you also disable the alarm system that monitors them being online.

It's surprisingly common, even in the USA. Hell just this year in my area it there was an elementary school that was getting utility improvements done. One of the improvements was upgrading the fire service line. So during the summer they dug up the old service line and removed it back to the road. Then later in the summer they put in a new service line. Except for the fact that they only ran if 10' back onto the property so they could close the road back up, but never went back to finish running it into the school.

Jesus Christ what loving state is this :gonk:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

Jesus Christ what loving state is this :gonk:

Connecticut :sun:

PainterofCrap posted:

It could also have been a dry system, which has no water (supposed to be filled with inert gasunder some pressure); these are used in a number of applications, particularly spaces where it can get below freezing, or where there's a lot of valuable contents/electronics that they don't want to risk on a failure or false alarm. It's possible they capped the intake side as well during the construction, in which case, when they pressure-tesed it at the manifolds, the system held pressure...and you'd never see water.

On all automatic sprinkler systems that are water based the most critical test is a valve status flow test which is supposed to be performed every 3 months. During this test a large diameter drain valve is opened and water from the source is allowed to flow for long enough to show that a steady supply is available at a certain residual pressure. Dry systems are water based systems where a valve keeps water out of the above ground piping until a sprinkler head activates which then opens the valve allowing water to enter the piping. However I can't even count how many times I've taken on a new client, and when I explain to them that they need to move cars or something for the flow test they complain how the previous inspector never needed to do that.

Inert gas systems are used, however normally in relatively small spaces since the amount of inert gas needed is the limiting factor. Normally even if an inert gas system is installed, a full fledged water based system is installed as well to provide backup fire control in case the gas system fails.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Pull!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PainterofCrap posted:

Russia is all of the cautionary tales about the reasons for regulation, and enforcement, the US should ever need.

this reminds me of the space shuttle design process which was so botched and compromised that when the russians cloned it they actually ended up adding safety features

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Jet chat: I've been way too close to the big end of an F/A-18 (alum of the local flight school brought his current ride to show the students, I lined up a nice profile shot as he taxied in, and then he turned into his parking spot in the direction I didn't expect). It's like God's own hair dryer, being maybe 50 feet behind a jet engine at ground idle.

I got into all kinds of OSHA poo poo when I was a newspaper photographer. Was nearly killed by a hot-air balloon once.

On getting sucked into intakes: I remember reading a story of a guy who miraculously walked through a spinning propellor, and upon realizing the massive fuckup he'd just comitted, turned around and ran back. He wasn't so lucky on the return trip.

Protip: don't get anywhere near either end of a running airplane, no matter what powerplant it has. You think you're safe walking behind a Cessna, and then the pilot wiggles the yoke and you get bonked by an elevator.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Delivery McGee posted:

Protip: don't get anywhere near either end of a running airplane, no matter what powerplant it has. You think you're safe walking behind a Cessna, and then the pilot wiggles the yoke and you get bonked by an elevator.
This is also true for horses.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Delivery McGee posted:

It's like God's own hair dryer, being maybe 50 feet behind a jet engine at ground idle.
I know this already from watching a video on jet engine safety!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEFx1qmW4ts

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJWpC0wfKKI

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxh3S5Ov5nE

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nenonen posted:

This is absolutely terrifying. The place was built in 2013 and it looks like all the required alarm systems, sprinklers and fire exits et cetera were built as required by law, but then they were all disabled by the staff and fire inspectors ignored it.
I feel like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fire_disasters_involving_barricaded_escape_routes should be required loving reading for anyone who operates a public space of any kind.

Necrosaro posted:

An uncropped version was posted on liveleak too: https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=91ozX_1522074255
:stonk: drat, it takes like 10 seconds for the place to go from nothing to completely filled with smoke. I weep for the people who got trapped in that.

e:

https://twitter.com/GwindorL/status/978646661902696448

:gonk:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
This is why I always bring my chainsaw to the cinema. Always have an out.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

That is loving awesome.

That is loving heartbreaking.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
From my hometown.

nope
nope
nope
nope

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

DiHK posted:

How many cross wakks must a woman walk down
Before we can drive no more
How many parachutes must save Cessna pilots
Before we win the airframe war.
How many shoes must fly away
Before the wearer is no more.

I've got to sperg for minute.... no Cessna pilot is wearing a parachute. Do people really think light plane pilots all have parachutes? Is that actually a thing? The only people wearing parachutes are those flying aerobatics.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There is a long-running joke in this series of threads about airframe parachutes.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

:smith: God drat it....

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

I'm not reading an article from the loving Blaze

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Julius CSAR posted:

I'm not reading an article from the loving Blaze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9tvdjDAr1U

Landing at 2:00.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

evobatman posted:

From my hometown.

nope
nope
nope
nope

the water/road hitting at what appears to be a right angle makes it look like one of those rendered-in-nothing landscape slices

jesus gently caress

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Delivery McGee posted:

Jet chat: I've been way too close to the big end of an F/A-18 (alum of the local flight school brought his current ride to show the students, I lined up a nice profile shot as he taxied in, and then he turned into his parking spot in the direction I didn't expect). It's like God's own hair dryer, being maybe 50 feet behind a jet engine at ground idle.

I got into all kinds of OSHA poo poo when I was a newspaper photographer. Was nearly killed by a hot-air balloon once.

On getting sucked into intakes: I remember reading a story of a guy who miraculously walked through a spinning propellor, and upon realizing the massive fuckup he'd just comitted, turned around and ran back. He wasn't so lucky on the return trip.

If you're not getting close to either business end of an aircraft, running or otherwise, you're not working on aircraft, sorry. Five feet from spinning props is all you need, and if you get bonked by a moving control surface you're a loving total idiot and should not be around aircraft ever holy poo poo.

I tripped over a comm cable one night while I was on ground and fell underneath the APU exhaust outlet, which on a B-1 is between the two engines, one for each side of the jet. There's only about three feet of clearance down there and I got a nice look directly into the APU compressor chamber. Time compression kicked in, so It all happened in slow motion so I could see the fuel being combusted and actually saw the compressor blades spinning, just before the exhaust blew me out of the way. It was like looking into the loving Eye of Sauron. My buddies doing the ops check emergency shut the down after the heard me yelling on the intercom. I was shaking, and it wasn't till I was back on the truck and someone said it smelled like something was burning that I realized I'd singed most of eyebrows off. I was mad pissed at myself for such a complete fuckup. It still shakes me up to this day when I think about it. But that glowing ring of death is forever burned into my memory.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 27, 2018

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goatsestretchgoals posted:

scp worst_ideas/* uber.com

reminder that uber is using the ride sharing service for advertising and wants to become a car company that will sell out to one of the big three

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

I've seen the vid other places, and it's super dope. I'm just not going that website

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blast of Confetti posted:

reminder that uber is using the ride sharing service for advertising and wants to become a car company that will sell out to one of the big three

https://twitter.com/kron4news/status/978380206825091072

their marketing is not so hot these days. not driver goes down stairs, not uber driver goes down stairs, just "uber goes down stairs"

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good. gently caress them

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Julius CSAR posted:

If you're not getting close to either business end of an aircraft, running or otherwise, you're not working on aircraft, sorry. Five feet from spinning props is all you need
I meant it as a general rule for laymen, if you need to get closer you should know the exact limits of where is safe, etc.. It was a joke and anecdote about the time I got lightly toasted by a fighter jet.

SelenicMartian posted:

This is also true for horses.
Even more so for horses. My brother owns a few, and as I posted in the A/T milhist thread, anybody who is not terrified of them has never seen one in person. Whenever I go to see the horses, they run to the fence expecting a treat/pets on the nose. They're going to stop, there's a fence and they know where it is, and there is not an angry man with a 3-foot straight razor and a pistol on their backs, but I still take a step back. I will give them pets on the nose and maybe throw an apple in their general direction from the other side of the fence, but yeah, horses are evil murderbeasts. Somewhere between jets and helicopters in "is my ride going to kill me today?"

Helicopters usually have the intakes/exhausts up high enough to avoid the turbine dangers (but watch out for the tail rotor and if it's a low-slung bird, the main rotor), but ... horses are stupid, helicopters are actively trying to kill you. And the people who fly helicopters are sadists and also trying to kill you. When my father did his tour in Vietnam he jumped out of a Huey ten feet AGL going faster than he'd like to hit the ground running. "Can't land because there might be mines," the pilot said. "Can't slow to a hover or reasonable speed because somebody could put an RPG into us."

Yknow, I think I'll concede that point to the chopper pilots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3XftLR0MiU&t=31s

And sometimes the wings just fall off, though that is a slightly less common thing that happens to airplanes too.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 27, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Julius CSAR posted:

I've got to sperg for minute.... no Cessna pilot is wearing a parachute. Do people really think light plane pilots all have parachutes? Is that actually a thing? The only people wearing parachutes are those flying aerobatics.

Dude, airframe chute. Second line of that verse. Do you not read this thread?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

DiHK posted:

Dude, airframe chute. Second line of that verse. Do you not read this thread?

No, his first post in it was yesterday. Why do you think they were so keen to post about what sites they won’t visit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Julius CSAR posted:

I've seen the vid other places, and it's super dope. I'm just not going that website
The bit I was talking about isn't in the video. Its a harrier landing where they tried to use a bunch of mattresses. The blaze seem to be the only one's to have kept a copy of the images that originated on a now broken webforum posting. I hadn't twigged TheBlaze was Becks thing.